• 10,269,101 Posts
• 407,530 Topics
• 23,309 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Avery Johnson out at Alabama. Possible Alabama tries to get Mike Anderson?  (Read 5364 times)

TheMaskedAssassin

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net

The consensus is Mike Anderson's time on the hill is at a cross roads. The PTB do not want to fire Anderson due to the prior transgressions against the Richardson regime. Mike is 59 and had 5 to 6 more years of solid coaching still left. The Alabama job coming open leaves a chance for the Birmingham native to take a job in his home state which he has proven in the past he cares about when he took the UAB job. The provides Arkansas with a way out, gives Alabama a very respected hometown coach which they would have no trouble selling to their fan base, and provides Anderson a 4 - 5 year plan with a University willing to spend good money for a basketball coach. Just saying connect the dots.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
Re: Mike Anderson
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 02:44:25 pm »

I like the thought. Another one reminiscent of the Nutt era when we kept finding jobs for Dale.

I guess heís been saving up that solid coaching.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

checkraiser88

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 02:45:39 pm »

I seriously doubt Alabama wants Mike Anderson and I do think Bama would have a problem selling him to their fan base.

Breems

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 02:47:49 pm »

Kudos for an interesting theory.

However, they could never sell Mike after firing Avery Johnson. Also, I think being a Razorback means more to Mike than coaching in his home state at this point.

26.2Hog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • The future ain't what it used to be
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 02:48:30 pm »

I'd be amazed if Bama hires MA.  They want better.  And their fan base, such as it is, would not like it.

raz1965

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 02:49:27 pm »

Alabama has had little sucess in basketball , especially in recent decades, Mike has beaten bama often, if Mike was willing it may be one of bamas better options.

Hogeyeblind

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 02:49:46 pm »

Arkansas is the best job MA will ever have

checkraiser88

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 02:51:27 pm »

Alabama has had little sucess in basketball , especially in recent decades, Mike has beaten bama often, if Mike was willing it may be one of bamas better options.

Exactly why they will go for a younger or bigger name coach. Why fire mediocrity to hire more mediocrity?

yraciv

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 02:51:34 pm »

I do wonder if Nolan would be pissed, and the whole court naming thing wouldn't go well if we fire Mike Anderson. 

I do think it says a lot about Mike Anderson, that we would not mind him going to Alabama. I don't think he is a legitimate candidate for Bama.

TheMaskedAssassin

• Band Nerd
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 02:52:26 pm »

Basketball is second class in T town. From the outsiders perspective Anderson has a solid resume at a buyer's price. Anderson's buyout is small relatively speaking and he has previous tournament and SEC experience. Alabama has never one a national title this their expectation is making the tournament which Mike has done with relative consistency. IMO they would have no issue swinging this for their fan base. Dont let your hatred of Mike confuse you that he is a nationally respected coach.

WilsonHog

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 02:52:53 pm »

True enough, Mike does have some history in the state of Alabama. I figure their first target with be Steve Prohm, given his direct ties to their basketball program. Beyond that, I have no idea.

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2019, 02:54:48 pm »

Basketball is second class in T town. From the outsiders perspective Anderson has a solid resume at a buyer's price. Anderson's buyout is small relatively speaking and he has previous tournament and SEC experience. Alabama has never one a national title this their expectation is making the tournament which Mike has done with relative consistency. IMO they would have no issue swinging this for their fan base. Dont let your hatred of Mike confuse you that he is a nationally respected coach.

Curious if you know something...hmmm. ;)

checkraiser88

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2019, 02:57:36 pm »

I don't think we have hatred for Mike at all. I think it would be silly to replace Johnson with MA. Why fire AJ then?

SexyBeast77

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2019, 03:01:12 pm »

I just cannot imagine a school looking at Mike's record and going, that's the
guy we have to go after.  Maybe a lower tier program looking for a marginal
improvement with a fairly low ceiling on success.

RicebirdHog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2019, 03:02:11 pm »

Do you see how Auburn is doing in basketball? Alabama is about to pay up. They can't stand the thought of Auburn being better at something. Also, all of the SEC has said it doesn't want mediocre anymore. 0% chance they could ever sell Mike

Tankster

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2019, 03:02:40 pm »

I donít think Mike is a candidate at Alabama unless they missed on their top targets, but you all keep forgetting that Avery wanted out at Alabama also. There were also sorts of rumors that he was trying to get back to the NBA back in February weíll before Bama missed the NCAA. Their scenario is different than Arkansas who has a coach that wants to be here more than any other job.

WilsonHog

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2019, 03:05:15 pm »

I only know what others are willing to share with me, which I appreciate. I do, however, have some common sense and I have watched stuff like this go down for 40 years.

If I was Mike, I would be looking.

Once the pressure mounts like it has this season, once influential people start the conversation of replacing a coach, it rarely ends well. Even if Mike stays, the same conversations will start all over again next fall. If we don't make the NCAA Tournament, he's done.

Assuming he does want to coach five or six more years, staying at Arkansas is not the smart play.

checkraiser88

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2019, 03:09:15 pm »

I only know what others are willing to share with me, which I appreciate. I do, however, have some common sense and I have watched stuff like this go down for 40 years.

Once the pressure mounts like it has this season, once influential people start the conversation of replacing a coach, it rarely ends well. Even if Mike stays, the same conversations will start all over again next fall. If we don't make the NCAA Tournament, he's done.

Assuming he does want to coach five or six more years, staying at Arkansas is not the smart play.

Agreed, he's already looking, if he comes back next year it'll be interesting how he handles the pressure. I don't see Bama interested, but there's quite a few mid majors that would be happy to have him.

Seebs

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2019, 03:12:10 pm »

If Bama wants a coach that has never had a losing season they better get that train rolling. NEVER HAD A LOSING SEASON!  Those kinds of winning coaches are few and far between.

26.2Hog

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2019, 03:15:35 pm »

Mike hasn't made the NCAAT with all that much consistency.

In his career, he has made it 53% of the time, and in his 8 years here, he has made it 37.5% of the time.  That looks like more of a lack of consistency. 

If Bama wants to go to the NCAAT on a regular basis, Mike's resume would not impress them with respect to that goal.

Hogeyeblind

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2019, 03:18:01 pm »

Anyone anxiously anticipating change by MA taking another job will be sorely disappointed

oldman1015

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2019, 03:18:31 pm »

Sigh, Bama doesnít want him.

Sivad

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2019, 03:18:47 pm »

The PTB do not want to fire Anderson due to the prior transgressions against the Richardson regime.
A reason without merit, but the reason nevertheless.

USChog

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2019, 03:19:18 pm »

They are not going from Avery to Anderson. Good try though.

WilsonHog

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2019, 03:22:20 pm »

Mike takes a lot of heat on here, but there are programs that would be a good fit for him. I if was an AD and needed (1) a program rebuilder and (2) a guy who I know would play it clean, represent the university well, and not get us in trouble, Mike would be one of the first coaches I would contact.

With all of the dirt in college basketball right now, his best fit would be at a school that needed to clean house.

checkraiser88

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2019, 03:22:48 pm »

Anyone anxiously anticipating change by MA taking another job will be sorely disappointed

Ok...We'll see..Him and his agent are thinking about his future and coming back to a sweet 16 or bust kind of year next season may not be on his agenda.

WilsonHog

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2019, 03:25:36 pm »

I will add this, which might well factor in.

If you asked Mike this afternoon if he was in any danger of being asked to resign or be fired, my strong bet is that his answer would be a simple, "No."

pigbacon

• Hogvillian
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2019, 03:26:16 pm »

I truly believe Mike loves the U of A and feels the pressure of as much internal as he does external. I just hope whatever happens, it is with dignity and straightforwardness with both parties alleviating a big media circus. The caliber of a coach which the PTB can entice to come in will have a big impact on this.

If nothing happens this year, the expectations for MA here forward should be chrystal clear and no looking back or second guessing no matter what kind of pressure it creates. These guys get paid big money, for big results and dealing with large amounts of pressure.

26.2Hog

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2019, 03:27:32 pm »

Mike takes a lot of heat on here, but there are programs that would be a good fit for him. I if was an AD and needed (1) a program rebuilder and (2) a guy who I know would play it clean, represent the university well, and not get us in trouble, Mike would be one of the first coaches I would contact.

With all of the dirt in college basketball right now, his best fit would be at a school that needed to clean house.

Well, that "wanting to play it clean" part rules out Alabama.   :D

TheMaskedAssassin

• Band Nerd
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2019, 03:42:27 pm »

Not to say these things ever play out the way we think they might. But if I were a wagering person. Mike Anderson goes to Alabama, Sampson comes to Arkansas unless Houston wins the national title. I could be wrong but if the intention was for Mike to return without question something would have been released from HY via Twitter.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2019, 03:45:16 pm »

Not to say these things ever play out the way we think they might. But if I were a wagering person. Mike Anderson goes to Alabama, Sampson comes to Arkansas unless Houston wins the national title. I could be wrong but if the intention was for Mike to return without question something would have been released from HY via Twitter.

Are we willing to out-bid Tilman Fertitta?

nwahogfan1

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2019, 03:49:05 pm »

Lots of good up and comers so why would bama want just a decent coach who took us no where?

King Kong

« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2019, 03:49:40 pm »

Are we willing to out-bid Tilman Fertitta?

Where has Tillman Fertitta shown a willingness to out-bid for a coach? He didnít outbid for Lane Kiffin. In fact he balked when Kiffin asked for more.

He didnít outbid to keep Herman. He also didnít outbid WV for his friend Dana Holgerson. As nobody else was after him and WV didnít attempt to keep him.

In a similar situation Mega booster T Boone Pickens didnít match Tennesseeís offer for Gundy. Gundy on his own too a minimal raise to stay at his almater compared to Tennesseís offer.

Billionaires donít write blank checks to Universities. Being strategic with their money is how most of them become Billionaires
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 06:42:00 pm by King Kong »

Peter Porker

• It's skin deep.
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2019, 03:49:55 pm »

The consensus is Mike Anderson's time on the hill is at a cross roads. The PTB do not want to fire Anderson due to the prior transgressions against the Richardson regime. Mike is 59 and had 5 to 6 more years of solid coaching still left. The Alabama job coming open leaves a chance for the Birmingham native to take a job in his home state which he has proven in the past he cares about when he took the UAB job. The provides Arkansas with a way out, gives Alabama a very respected hometown coach which they would have no trouble selling to their fan base, and provides Anderson a 4 - 5 year plan with a University willing to spend good money for a basketball coach. Just saying connect the dots.

They would have a problem selling Anderson to the Bama fans.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2019, 03:50:29 pm »

Lots of good up and comers so why would bama want just a decent coach who took us no where?

Come on nwa you ainít sellin!   Bama should love to have Mike and TJ.  They are the perfect fit.  Bama should be jumping on this.

hobhog

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2019, 03:52:21 pm »

Couldn't agree more. This situation never ends well. Next year will be a bitter lame duck season if he comes back. Hope he finds a way out.

TheEnemy

• Senior
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2019, 03:55:03 pm »

If all they want is just making the tournament half the time...Why would Bama spend the money to hire MA when they could hire a younger up and comer for half the price

King Kong

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2019, 03:56:03 pm »

Bama tried to hire MA in the past and he turned them down.

That was of course when MA was successful. MA has not been successful here

Toocool21

• Band Nerd
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2019, 03:58:40 pm »

There are some people who will be negative about coach no matter what, some will pretend during the good times and show their true colors in the bad times, b ut Mike will keep winning regardless of the circumstances the same way he always has...

Athog

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2019, 03:58:55 pm »

I donít believe any of this from start to finish!!

Hollywood_HOGan45

• Hollywood could coach better than nutt.
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2019, 03:59:01 pm »

I love it that we will put Nolan on the court but building the program back up should be more important.

TheMaskedAssassin

• Band Nerd
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2019, 04:03:36 pm »

That is why I prefaced it with Unless Houston wins the national championship. Fertitta would become more involved with a NC coach vs the alternative. I would say Sampson would fetch 3 - 3.5 million a year dont know if UH would go to the lengths to match the long term. Boosters are solid when it comes to buyouts but do not see them that involved in the long term payouts.

cypress rock

« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2019, 04:07:26 pm »

Board of Trustees meet Wednesday and Thursday for regular meeting. Could anything come from that ?

checkraiser88

« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2019, 04:08:27 pm »

Board of Trustees meet Wednesday and Thursday for regular meeting. Could anything come from that ?

Of course

dsims2k3

• #fastest40
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2019, 04:09:09 pm »

Actually, he may have better luck in Tuscaloosa. It is an easier sell than Fayetteville.

TheMaskedAssassin

• Band Nerd
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2019, 04:11:57 pm »

There are some people who will be negative about coach no matter what, some will pretend during the good times and show their true colors in the bad times, b ut Mike will keep winning regardless of the circumstances the same way he always has...

You are absolutely correct. Mike Anderson wins at a level acceptable to just about every program other than the ones that have won national titles. Unfortunately when you have tasted Wagyu Beef you lose the appreciation of the local mom and pop steakhouse. Mom and pop make a mean steak but you will always remember the one time at Ribera.

ricepig

« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2019, 04:12:50 pm »

Naming of the court for Nolan, a decision to fish or cut bait will have already been made.

Porked Tongue

• Global Moderator
  • Senior
  • Formerly posting as Snout Says
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2019, 04:16:13 pm »

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2019, 04:18:49 pm »

Where has Tillman Fertitta shown a willingness to out-bid for a coach? He didnít outbid for Lane Kiffin. In fact he balked when Kiffin asked for more.

He didnít outbid to keep Herman. He also didnít outbid WV for his friend Dana Holgerson. As nobody else was after him and AV didnít attempt to keep him.

In a similar situation Mega booster T Boone Pickens didnít match Tennesseeís offer for Gundy. Gundy on his own too a minimal raise to stay at his almater compared to Tennesseís offer.

Billionaires donít write blank checks to Universities. Being strategic with their money is how most of them become Billionaires

Fertitta's situation with the University of Houston is different.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2016/08/25/tilman-fertitta-donates-20m-to-university-of-houston-sports/89338996/

Deerhunter

« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2019, 04:21:27 pm »

Have people lost their minds?   Why in the world are people worried about what Nolan Richardson thinks?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas