• 10,269,357 Posts
• 407,536 Topics
• 23,310 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vandy's leading candidate  (Read 3486 times)

Rockoff

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Vandy's leading candidate
« on: March 23, 2019, 11:23:20 pm »

Overall response hasn't been positive. Just a name for now.

wpstexan

• Varsity
  • Calling the Hogs in Southlake, Texas!
Re: Vandy's leading candidate
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 11:24:06 pm »

Give us hope that Mike will move up to the 12th best coach in the conference

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

hogsmash12

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 11:36:06 pm »

Lol seriously wow thanks Vandy

widespreadsooie

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 11:50:31 pm »

Not a bad hire with upside, far from a splash or even good.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 11:56:47 pm »

Kind of a perplexing target, but I'm for it.

Maybe his time with USA Basketball and the U18 program has rehabilitated him a bit, and he has had some success, but those last Georgetown teams were brutal.   

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 12:01:23 am »

Kind of a perplexing target, but I'm for it.

Maybe his time with USA Basketball and the U18 program has rehabilitated him a bit, and he has had some success, but those last Georgetown teams were brutal.

Princeton style offense won’t get him far in SEC.

raz1965

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 09:02:19 am »

Thompson was good in the ivy league.

Hogeyeblind

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 09:03:54 am »

That'll fill up the seats in the arena

Paul

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 09:04:45 am »

Princeton style offense won’t get him far in SEC.
farther than they were this year

Smithian

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 09:18:14 am »

JTIII is an interesting idea. Has already coached one private school in a big city, so he would be ready to take on the Vandy job.

Maybe a recharge has done him well after it went south at Georgetown. I think it would be a good hire.

GoHogs1091

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 05:09:30 pm »

I saw over on a SEC Message Board a thread posted today by someone stating that he/she is hearing that Vanderbilt wants to talk to Ben Howland.

I really don't see Howland leaving MSU for Vanderbilt, but he would be a lot better hire for Vanderbilt than a perplexing John Thompson III hire.

hobhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2019, 05:27:01 pm »

No dog in hunt but if I were Vandy fan I'd be perplexed at that hire....

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2019, 05:30:50 pm »

Is Adam Zagoria a Vandy insider or what?

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2019, 05:41:24 pm »

Thompson was good in the ivy league.

His offense is slower and lower scoring than Bennett’s at Virginia. However he’s a decent or good coach. He’s made 10 dances, which is one more in the same number years as Mike and that includes a sweet 16 and something Mike has never done, a Final Four.

NinoHogUNIA

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2019, 05:47:31 pm »

His offense is slower and lower scoring than Bennett’s at Virginia.

He has a good winning percentage at Georgetown .650 and he only had three losing seasons in 13 years at the school.   He's coached a private school in a big city.  He wouldn't be a bad hire.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2019, 05:51:41 pm »

He has a good winning percentage at Georgetown .650 and he only had three losing seasons in 13 years at the school.   He's coached a private school in a big city.  He wouldn't be a bad hire.
Agree. See the rest of my post I added. The reason I mentioned his style of play is that turns some fans off.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2019, 06:49:05 pm »

That was extremely front loaded;  he even made a Final Four in his 3rd year, I think.    By the end, he was well behind the basketball curve, and it showed.    He'd be an underwhelming hire for a respectable 2nd or 3rd tier program like Vanderbilt.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2019, 06:54:20 pm »

This looks like a diversity hire by Vandy, if it happens.

Smithian

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2019, 06:57:05 pm »

He went to a Final Four. What a cheap comment. JTIII struggled at end for Georgetown, but painting him as only a black coach and not as a coach with strong credentials it intellectually dishonest.

FineAsSwine

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2019, 07:04:28 pm »

This is what a white person playing the race card looks like.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2019, 07:08:36 pm »

He went to a Final Four. What a cheap comment. JTIII struggled at end for Georgetown, but painting him as only a black coach and not as a coach with strong credentials it intellectually dishonest.

One of the things about sports, is that they're an intense meritocracy;  this is pared, however, with the second edge of the sword-- what have you done for me lately.     That's why Thompsons' time with USA Basketball has to be more important than we understand, because his last several seasons at Georgetown destroyed any capital he had built up before, with someone else's players.

Its a lot like Johnny Dawkins would be, in the same gig.  People would be more skeptical about what happened at Stanford, than interested in his success as an assistant.

iHeartHogs

• Varsity
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2019, 07:10:34 pm »

Give us hope that Mike will move up to the 12th best coach in the conference
Based on what?

LZH

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2019, 07:11:27 pm »

I made a comment about this in another thread, but what the hell happened to Vanderbilt basketball?  They used to be good - damn good at times.  All of a sudden they've dropped off the map?  Maybe it was lucking into good coaching hires, I don't know.  But I'd figure the Vandy job would be a top 30-40 gig in all of college basketball....and probably higher if the money is right.

Btw, Thompson is NOT who they need.  I can see him coast a few years while cashing his paychecks and then back to TV.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2019, 07:16:52 pm »

I made a comment about this in another thread, but what the hell happened to Vanderbilt basketball?  They used to be good - damn good at times.  All of a sudden they've dropped off the map?  Maybe it was lucking into good coaching hires, I don't know.  But I'd figure the Vandy job would be a top 30-40 gig in all of college basketball....and probably higher if the money is right.

Btw, Thompson is NOT who they need.  I can see him coast a few years while cashing his paychecks and then back to TV.

They're not that bad.  They recruited a legit lottery pick to campus.  They've had some real problems with rotational health lately-- really, us and them have been the most medically snakebitten programs in the league the last couple of years, with theirs being worse.

They're realistically a 19 win a year program.  Stallings averaged 19.5.    When they have bad breaks and everything is down, they'll get years like this one.  Stallings had 11 wins in his 4th year, but kept his job-- the next, they won 23 and were in the Sweet 16.

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2019, 07:19:32 pm »

So you're telling me he the best candidate they can find? A guy who has been oit3of college coaching for two years.

And you have to look at Vandy, at how their athletics are run as well as the entire insiturion. They are heavily invested in being seen as elite, like an Ivy League school, and they are big time into diversity.

LZH

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2019, 07:26:16 pm »

They're not that bad.  They recruited a legit lottery pick to campus.  They've had some real problems with rotational health lately-- really, us and them have been the most medically snakebitten programs in the league the last couple of years, with theirs being worse.

They're realistically a 19 win a year program.  Stallings averaged 19.5.    When they have bad breaks and everything is down, they'll get years like this one.  Stallings had 11 wins in his 4th year, but kept his job-- the next, they won 23 and were in the Sweet 16.

I fully admit that I've not kept up with college basketball as much lately, mostly because Arkansas has been fairly irrelevant in forever.  But no matter how good we were, you always were nervous about playing in Nashville.  You could go in there a top twenty team and have better athletes all over the court...but still get your ass beat.

I've always had a lot of respect for that program (football, too).  I just didn't realize they had slipped down the ladder a few rungs until lately.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2019, 07:30:14 pm »

I fully admit that I've not kept up with college basketball as much lately, mostly because Arkansas has been fairly irrelevant in forever.  But no matter how good we were, you always were nervous about playing in Nashville.  You could go in there a top twenty team and have better athletes all over the court...but still get your ass beat.

I've always had a lot of respect for that program (football, too).  I just didn't realize they had slipped down the ladder a few rungs until lately.

Drew has underperformed a little, but not grossly.  The last two years show the problem with operating a program like Vanderbilt-- one or two major injuries, and you are staring down the barrel of a 12 win season.

I didn't necessarily think Drew was the best fit, but I don't know who is.  Vanderbilt is a hard job to hire appropriately.

tophawg19

• Gold Hogvillian
  • She thinks my hawgs are sexy
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2019, 07:38:06 pm »

one thing they have going for them is the raised floor . It creates a depth perception issue for a lot of shooters

LZH

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2019, 07:42:15 pm »

Vanderbilt is a hard job to hire appropriately.

Probably right.  But I've always thought that the pull of a degree from Vanderbilt (yeah, I know), and recruiting players that many take a pass on in places like Memphis, Louisville, Birmingham, Atlanta, and of course Nashville, would provide them with a nice base.

No accident that Vandy is my 3rd favorite SEC team......:)

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2019, 07:45:49 pm »

Probably right.  But I've always thought that the pull of a degree from Vanderbilt (yeah, I know), and recruiting players that many take a pass on in places like Memphis, Louisville, Birmingham, Atlanta, and of course Nashville, would provide them with a nice base.

No accident that Vandy is my 3rd favorite SEC team......:)

I always enjoy Vandy Basketball.  They're probably my #2 team in the league.

The problem tends to be that you mention some of the dirtiest cities for basketball talent in America.  I guess you could toss Chicago and Dallas in there, but yeah.      Hard to sell a degree worth an  extra 25K in 10 years, when you can get a bag with 25K next month.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2019, 08:09:04 pm »

One of the things about sports, is that they're an intense meritocracy;  this is pared, however, with the second edge of the sword-- what have you done for me lately.     That's why Thompsons' time with USA Basketball has to be more important than we understand, because his last several seasons at Georgetown destroyed any capital he had built up before, with someone else's players.

Its a lot like Johnny Dawkins would be, in the same gig.  People would be more skeptical about what happened at Stanford, than interested in his success as an assistant.

Someone else’s players? His final four team had only two seniors. Yes it had a lot of juniors but they were his first year recruits. He also went to the dance six years the rest of his time there. Yes his last two years weren’t that great.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 09:39:09 pm by Inhogswetrust »

LZH

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2019, 05:18:02 am »

I always enjoy Vandy Basketball.  They're probably my #2 team in the league.

The problem tends to be that you mention some of the dirtiest cities for basketball talent in America.  I guess you could toss Chicago and Dallas in there, but yeah.      Hard to sell a degree worth an  extra 25K in 10 years, when you can get a bag with 25K next month.

Damn fine point.

hogwood

• Just Chillin' Like A Villain
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2019, 05:51:27 am »

Thompson would be a good fit. He's a lot like CMA, oddly. Thompson would run a very strict program, which Vandy values, and he would recruit well in the south. Personally, with the firing of Drew, I thought it was more about moving away from the Will Wades of coaching (Drew had some suspicious recruiting success) and getting back to integrity - which Thompson certainly brings.

latrops

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2019, 08:30:37 am »

Someone else’s players? His final four team had only two seniors. Yes it had a lot of juniors but they were his first year recruits. He also went to the dance six years the rest of his time there. Yes his last two years weren’t that great.

His first 4 years aren't the problem...it is the last 4.
However much credit you want to give him for his initial success...he certainly wasn't able to maintain it.

We wouldn't much want him, no reason to think Vandy fans are any different.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2019, 08:36:19 am »

His first 4 years aren't the problem...it is the last 4.
However much credit you want to give him for his initial success...he certainly wasn't able to maintain it.

We wouldn't much want him, no reason to think Vandy fans are any different.

His last two years there warranted leaving.

NinoHogUNIA

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2019, 08:58:49 am »

His last two years there warranted leaving.

Rebuilds happen this microwave society is so unhealthy.  His last two years were not great by any stretch but the fact remains is he was doing very well in the Big East when it was a top 2 conference.   

Hawg Red

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2019, 09:05:14 am »

Is Adam Zagoria a Vandy insider or what?

He's a very strong national college basketball insider.

jbcarol

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2019, 08:22:01 am »

Latest has Jerry Stackhouse in lead.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2019, 04:07:10 pm »

Latest has Jerry Stackhouse in lead.

The Stackhouse rumors surfaced on Monday, but the deal still hasn't gotten done.  I'm starting to wonder if there aren't cold feet starting to develop in Nashville.

vandybuff

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2019, 05:21:33 pm »

I am a Vandy fan ... all I know is we hopefully will hire someone by next season.  Geez, maybe we need Mike Anderson.  I sincerely hope you, and we, get a great coach.

vandybuff

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2019, 04:54:05 pm »

I just heard Vandy is looking at Moore .... Lon Moore.  Supposed to be a self starter!!! 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas