• 10,269,331 Posts
• 407,535 Topics
• 23,310 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What are the positives....  (Read 2765 times)

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: What are the positives....
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2019, 09:31:56 am »

It's possible but I'm not counting on it.  It would be Anderson's first very good team since he arrived in Fayetteville.

27-9 Portis and Qualls? People say the dumbest stuff just to slam MA.

my3boneheads

« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2019, 10:04:22 am »

Looking at Anderson's history Hogs get 22 wins next year and a spot in NCAA tournament.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Seebs

« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2019, 10:07:01 am »

... that nobody got hurt. That is about it for me.

Beaverfever

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2019, 10:18:12 am »

27-9 Portis and Qualls? People say the dumbest stuff just to slam MA.
The SEC was trash that year.  The only very good team that year was Kentucky and they beat us by double digits both times we played.  We were lucky that we didn't get bounced in the first round of the tourney and the second round game against NC was never really in doubt.  That was not a "very good" season.  It was a solid season. 

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2019, 10:37:50 am »

The SEC was trash that year.  The only very good team that year was Kentucky and they beat us by double digits both times we played.  We were lucky that we didn't get bounced in the first round of the tourney and the second round game against NC was never really in doubt.  That was not a "very good" season.  It was a solid season.

Always an excuse. At least you kept this one to a paragraph.

ap89

« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2019, 11:00:27 am »

Crickets..

OkieBack

« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2019, 11:29:01 am »

We only had one ( for most of the year) freshman starter.

Kudos.  You shot my theory to hell.  I thought we had a young team.  Next year ain't looking so bright after all...except for the concessions and cheap Razorback gear...

Beaverfever

« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2019, 11:36:23 am »

Always an excuse. At least you kept this one to a paragraph.
I'm not offering any excuses.  In Mike's best season we had no tangible accomplishments.  There was no SEC regular season title, SEC Tournament championship or Sweet 16 appearance.  Arkansas finished the year ranked 29th by Kenpom, the highest ranking that Mike has achieved while at Arkansas.  If that's our new definition of a banner year then so be it. 

Smithian

« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2019, 12:10:54 pm »

going forward to next year? 
Frankly, Im ticked at the season/situation! But also am tired of all the negativity, mine own included.  So what are positives thinking toward next season?
Even if we lose a guy to transfer, Hogs are returning the deepest backcourt they've had since turn of the millennium.

Isaiah Joe is a game changer, and if he plays more like he did in the SEC finale against Alabama attacking the basket and making plays with the ball then he is a first team All-SEC talent. I trust he can develop that part of his game more this offseason.

We need more help in the frontcourt, but we have a handful of post players returning who are built to get out and run. Next season's team will have to play fast.

We have a coach who has gone to a Sweet Sixteen and an Elite Eight. If the talent is there, he can coach it.

Bud Walton Arena is one of the best big game atmospheres in the nation. Other than this season and a couple under Pelphrey, Bud Walton Arena from day one has been a huge homecourt advantage. We have a good fan base that has been pretty resilient through a tough decade and a half. The building itself is a great arena. It isn't a soulless cookie cutter like Auburn nor a disgrace to basketball like LSU and Mississippi State.

Lots to be positive about. Whoever the coach is, next season will be better. And I am already ready for Razorback basketball.

Kevin McPherson

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2019, 02:03:17 pm »

The SEC was trash that year. The only very good team that year was Kentucky and they beat us by double digits both times we played.  We were lucky that we didn't get bounced in the first round of the tourney and the second round game against NC was never really in doubt.  That was not a "very good" season.  It was a solid season.

I'm not offering any excuses.  In Mike's best season we had no tangible accomplishments.  There was no SEC regular season title, SEC Tournament championship or Sweet 16 appearance.  Arkansas finished the year ranked 29th by Kenpom, the highest ranking that Mike has achieved while at Arkansas.  If that's our new definition of a banner year then so be it.

* SEC got 5 teams in the Dance in 2014-15 ... not great, but not trash either.

* Kentucky was only a "very good team"? That team was undefeated and consistently blew teams off the court before finally losing in the Final Four to Wisconsin. It's one of the greatest seasons in college basketball history, but okay.

* 27 wins is among the most in UA history.

* 13-5 in the SEC was good for 2nd place in the league in a year when KY went undefeated its first 38 games, that record would have won the SEC in some seasons (including last year).

* Arkansas reached the SECT finals

* SEC POY and 2nd team AA in Bobby Portis

* If I recall, UNC led about 2/3s of that game with prolly close to a dozen ties & lead changes (most if not all in the first half) ... Hogs were within 2-3 possessions until about the 5 min mark of that game when Heels went up by 12 pts (their biggest lead, I believe) ... Arkansas lost by 9 ... not arguing that UNC wasn't in control most of that game and probably splitting hairs here, but anytime you're within 2-3 possessions in the 4th Q (a.k.a last 10 minutes), then the game is in fact still in reasonable doubt.

* Arkansas finished 20th in coaches poll, 21st in AP poll, and in terms of NCAAT seed (based in part on RPI/SOS) the Hogs were a No. 5, which = Top 17-20 in the country ... I guess those don't matter, only the KenPom metric ... got it. And, for those who want to hit the sked and point to losses to ranked teams and lack of wins against ranked teams, remember that the Hogs played the ranked teams away from home (Iowa State, KY twice, UNC) and in the end, all of the metrics that mattered still considered the Hogs a Top 20 team when the dust settled -- the sked is baked into that finally analysis.

* 2014-15 was a really good season, not just "solid." That was a Sweet 16-caliber team that got a tougher draw and bracket than most -- UNC in 2nd round, and those Heels lost the next game against a Wisconsin team that beat the juggernaut KY team in the national semifinals. Had Arkansas been paired with over-rated 4-seed G'town in one of the other brackets, for example, we might be talking about at least one Sweet 16 season under CMA. I do think Sweet 16 was the likely ceiling for that team because I did not believe the backcourt was good enough to go further.

hamARchy in the USA

« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2019, 02:53:40 pm »

You're right.  Actually you're being kind.  That team ran up some extra wins on the back of having such a weak conference schedule courtesy of the SEC annual scheduling imbalances.  That's why that team got a two game bye in the conference tourney.  It would have been an NCAA bubble team at best with a balanced schedule and very well may have been NIT bound. 

With everything MA had going for him that year -- the weakest conference schedule, the SEC POY -- it turned out to be an underachievement of historic proportions. The following year was poor even on paper so MA might have gotten fired at that time if it hadn't been for the 2014-2015 scheduling break because it could have been 5 years with no NCAA invite.

rzrbackramsfan

• "Winners never quit, quitters never win"
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2019, 03:01:00 pm »

We have a record-setting 3-point shooter. Jones is a solid scorer. Chaney looks promising as our prominent big man. Sills is tough.

Kevin McPherson

« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2019, 06:22:44 pm »

You're right.  Actually you're being kind.  That team ran up some extra wins on the back of having such a weak conference schedule courtesy of the SEC annual scheduling imbalances.  That's why that team got a two game bye in the conference tourney.  It would have been an NCAA bubble team at best with a balanced schedule and very well may have been NIT bound. 

With everything MA had going for him that year -- the weakest conference schedule, the SEC POY -- it turned out to be an underachievement of historic proportions. The following year was poor even on paper so MA might have gotten fired at that time if it hadn't been for the 2014-2015 scheduling break because it could have been 5 years with no NCAA invite.

With all due respect, this ^^^^^ is complete nonsense.

hamARchy in the USA

« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2019, 08:01:00 pm »

With all due respect, this ^^^^^ is complete nonsense.

Seems to be a formula.  Trying to appear respectful while being disrespectful is much like trying to appear balanced while writing with bias.

Kevin McPherson

« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2019, 08:11:18 pm »

Seems to be a formula.  Trying to appear respectful while being disrespectful is much like trying to appear balanced while writing with bias.

It's true, I am biased toward facts and relevant data, and forming my opinions using those as my guides. Untrue that I was "trying to appear respectful while being disrespectful"" = I was full-on being disrespectful of your post.

To suggest that team was a balanced sked from being a bubble team and maybe an NIT team points to: a) lack of knowledge/understanding of the game and how NCAAT selection/seeding works, b) bias against the coach, or c) both. That was a Top 20 team that the relevant metrics baked-in the RPI/SOS. A tougher sked and worse record could have meant a similar (if not the same) NCAAT seed, as well as a final national ranking.

hamARchy in the USA

« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2019, 08:17:58 pm »

It's true, I am biased toward facts and relevant data, and forming my opinions using those as my guides. Untrue that I was trying to appear respectful while being disrespectful = I was full-on being disrespectful of your post.

Perhaps a new you will take hold then.

Beaverfever

« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2019, 11:19:36 am »

* Arkansas finished 20th in coaches poll, 21st in AP poll, and in terms of NCAAT seed (based in part on RPI/SOS) the Hogs were a No. 5, which = Top 17-20 in the country ... I guess those don't matter, only the KenPom metric ... got it. And, for those who want to hit the sked and point to losses to ranked teams and lack of wins against ranked teams, remember that the Hogs played the ranked teams away from home (Iowa State, KY twice, UNC) and in the end, all of the metrics that mattered still considered the Hogs a Top 20 team when the dust settled -- the sked is baked into that finally analysis.

* 2014-15 was a really good season, not just "solid." That was a Sweet 16-caliber team that got a tougher draw and bracket than most -- UNC in 2nd round, and those Heels lost the next game against a Wisconsin team that beat the juggernaut KY team in the national semifinals. Had Arkansas been paired with over-rated 4-seed G'town in one of the other brackets, for example, we might be talking about at least one Sweet 16 season under CMA. I do think Sweet 16 was the likely ceiling for that team because I did not believe the backcourt was good enough to go further.
The final polls are released before the tournament so they really donít matter that much.  If you prefer them then thatís fine.  Thatís the only season Arkansas has finished in the top 25 under Mikeís watch.  UNC wasnít anything special that year.  They lost their next game.  I canít argue with much of your post.  By your own admission the best Arkansas team Mike has ever had would have needed a favorable draw to have had a real shot at the Sweet 16.  Youíre either ok with that being a once every 8 years type of team or youíre not.  In all seriousness I understand people that are ok with that because I too have seen the program in much worse shape.  Letís just be honest about where weíre at.  I donít think weíre risking that much to give someone else a chance at this point.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas