• 10,268,711 Posts
• 407,524 Topics
• 23,309 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Khalil Garland and Mason Jones ...  (Read 6019 times)

RaisinHog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Khalil Garland and Mason Jones ...
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2019, 11:37:14 am »

A Hill, Harris, Sills  rotation would be tough IF Harris and Sills really work on their outside shot. The way Chaney runs the floor along with the other returnees (If we don't add any bigs) IF we can get a rebound nobody beats us down the court! LOL!

Sills shoots good enough too get minutes at the 2 as well so that helps in your minutes

ShadowHawg

« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2019, 11:37:56 am »

Lol Sills is shooting around 40% from 3 for the season.

He shoots at 45.6% from 3 on the season.

He is 16 of his last 22 from 3, since being inserted into the starting lineup.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2019, 11:39:35 am »

He shoots at 45.6% from 3 on the season.

He is 16 of his last 22 from 3, since being inserted into the starting lineup.

Heís getting to the point where if you give him some space, heís gonna knock it down. Huge development going forward. Guards will be salty next year.

jgphillips3

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Where are they now the little people of Stonehenge
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2019, 01:42:46 pm »

If Garland happened to get cleared and you had Justice Hill at the point, Joe at the two, Jones at the three, Garland at the four and Chaney at the five, we would be small in the lane but long and tall on the perimeter and explosive at times.  That is a team that could make a Sweet Sixteen type run.  Probably couldnít go too far without a legitimate five but they would be fun to watch and every one of them would be a threat to score even though Hill is more of a distributor. 

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2019, 01:58:35 pm »

If Garland happened to get cleared and you had Justice Hill at the point, Joe at the two, Jones at the three, Garland at the four and Chaney at the five, we would be small in the lane but long and tall on the perimeter and explosive at times.  That is a team that could make a Sweet Sixteen type run.  Probably couldnít go too far without a legitimate five but they would be fun to watch and every one of them would be a threat to score even though Hill is more of a distributor.
And a freaking smoking hot Desi Sills on the bench, and if Gabe and Jalen can get anymore consistent on their shot thatís a pretty good bench

zebradynasty

• Senior
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2019, 02:01:52 pm »

Didn't mean to imply Sills was not a good shooter he has really come on the last part of the season. I do think the jury is still out if he can play the 2. Plus he's a lefty (I don't trust a lefty shooting 3's...I know James Harden  ;) ). Besides he still struggles from inside the 3 and needs to improve but his other contribution is he plays very hard and with toughness that I hope will rub off on the others. 

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2019, 02:02:51 pm »

And a freaking smoking hot Desi Sills on the bench, and if Gabe and Jalen can get anymore consistent on their shot thatís a pretty good bench

Harris will be our starting PG.   

Smithian

« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2019, 02:08:16 pm »

The greatest fan trope ever is, "Bring in the freshman and to the bench with these current bums!"

zebradynasty

• Senior
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2019, 02:09:26 pm »

I don't know about that..if he continues to turn the ball over and poor shooting from the outside next year we have options. That bench is a GREAT teacher!

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2019, 02:22:29 pm »

While I think Harris will be better just from maturation and a year of playing with these guys after sitting out a year, does the addition of Hill make Harris better/more accountable.  Example with the emergence of Desi it seems like Mike has been more comfortable cutting Harris's minutes a bit and it seems Harris has been more productive.

Kevin McPherson

« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2019, 02:26:55 pm »

Heís getting to the point where if you give him some space, heís gonna knock it down. Huge development going forward. Guards will be salty next year.

That's the thing, if this guard corps sticks together -- and I've said this more than once going back to before the start of the season -- collectively it shapes up to be the best of CMA's run at Arkansas.

* Isaiah Joe is an All SEC guard, likely a future pro. His maturity coming in was off the charts, and he's good at both ends of the floor in so many ways. Go back to the LSU game on the road, you could really start to see his all-around offensive game start to break through.

* Mason Jones is a big, solid 6-5 wing with a high floor IQ and an alpha set! Sometimes tries to do too much (i.e. hero ball), but experience and maturity hopefully prevail for a player I view as having fringe all-league potential. Seems as though he's embracing the idea of having the starter's role without actually starting the game, but who knows if that holds.

* Desi Sills made this team better once he was instered with the starters. Based on his skills and strengths as a player right now, he looks more comfortbale to me playing off the ball -- as opposed to the 1 role he had with the second unit. His 3-point shooting efficiency has been off the charts in the last 6 games, and he's a plus-defender as well.

* Jalen Harris is "30% from 3" from being a fringe All SEC type of player ... that would be a big jump in efficiency, but guys like Ky Madden and Jaylen Barford both made considerable surges in 3-pt-% from one season to the next, so never say never.  For the most part lately, he's done a good job of resisting the open 3s (3-game win streak, he was money in decision-making) ... last 2 games, he's not taken care of the ball.

* Keyshawn Embery-Simpson ... injuries have dogged him going back to 2017, and I'm certain his shooting efficiency is a direct correlation to missing so much basketball ... another guy who can provide starter value in time, just wonder with several guys ahead of him who are freshman and sophomores if he'll stick around.

* Justice Hill ... reports from practice have been good. Some accounts stronger than others, but I was told his stop-and-go bursts were breaking down the Hogs' defenders and he was shooting well ... again, until we see it who knows ... tough on-ball defender, too.

Hogs still looking at guards and wings in the juco and grad transfer ranks as well. Arkansas could use a slasher with some bounce, and a veteran guard who can both facilitate and shoot would also be useful. Obviously, any additions to the backcourt likely signals a departure or two -- we'll see.

azhog10

• Razorback Basketball on the rise!
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2019, 02:40:23 pm »

I can live with losing KES. Heís not the explosive guard I thought he was.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2019, 02:41:19 pm »

That's the thing, if this guard corps sticks together -- and I've said this more than once going back to before the start of the season -- collectively it shapes up to be the best of CMA's run at Arkansas.

* Isaiah Joe is an All SEC guard, likely a future pro. His maturity coming in was off the charts, and he's good at both ends of the floor in so many ways. Go back to the LSU game on the road, you could really start to see his all-around offensive game start to break through.

* Mason Jones is a big, solid 6-5 wing with a high floor IQ and an alpha set! Sometimes tries to do too much (i.e. hero ball), but experience and maturity hopefully prevail for a player I view as having fringe all-league potential. Seems as though he's embracing the idea of having the starter's role without actually starting the game, but who knows if that holds.

* Desi Sills made this team better once he was instered with the starters. Based on his skills and strengths as a player right now, he looks more comfortbale to me playing off the ball -- as opposed to the 1 role he had with the second unit. His 3-point shooting efficiency has been off the charts in the last 6 games, and he's a plus-defender as well.

* Jalen Harris is "30% from 3" from being a fringe All SEC type of player ... that would be a big jump in efficiency, but guys like Ky Madden and Jaylen Barford both made considerable surges in 3-pt-% from one season to the next, so never say never.  For the most part lately, he's done a good job of resisting the open 3s (3-game win streak, he was money in decision-making) ... last 2 games, he's not taken care of the ball.

* Keyshawn Embery-Simpson ... injuries have dogged him going back to 2017, and I'm certain his shooting efficiency is a direct correlation to missing so much basketball ... another guy who can provide starter value in time, just wonder with several guys ahead of him who are freshman and sophomores if he'll stick around.

* Justice Hill ... reports from practice have been good. Some accounts stronger than others, but I was told his stop-and-go bursts were breaking down the Hogs' defenders and he was shooting well ... again, until we see it who knows ... tough on-ball defender, too.

Hogs still looking at guards and wings in the juco and grad transfer ranks as well. Arkansas could use a slasher with some bounce, and a veteran guard who can both facilitate and shoot would also be useful. Obviously, any additions to the backcourt likely signals a departure or two -- we'll see.

So, if KES does move on, could you see the backcourt shaping up like this:

Harris / Hill
Sills / Hamlet (or another JUCO wing)
Joe / Jones

I'd say that sets up to be a very strong backcourt, and COULD stay together for another two years (depending on transfers and going pro).

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2019, 02:41:39 pm »

Right on the money.

hawginbigd1

« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2019, 02:43:02 pm »

It's more of Sills surpassing Harris than Harris being a bad player. Harris may need to cut his minutes so that he isn't over-exposed. If he can get his 3pt% to around 30%, that would help Harris out a lot.
If Harris could do that the team would have been in the dance. Currently we have to have 4 scorers on the floor for him to be successful. If he could threaten anybody from outside he would automatically be twice the player he is. We have seen this story in differing degrees in the past with Reid, and Fortson.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2019, 02:58:03 pm »

While I think Harris will be better just from maturation and a year of playing with these guys after sitting out a year, does the addition of Hill make Harris better/more accountable.  Example with the emergence of Desi it seems like Mike has been more comfortable cutting Harris's minutes a bit and it seems Harris has been more productive.

A productive KES is really the key to Harris playing less, IMO, even moreso than Sills or a freshman PG.

While the Ky Madden development track is what you want from Harris, the ability to play extended veteran minutes with minimizing turnovers, is what'll be big with Mike.

That's where Harris shone;  Arkansas had mediocre team turnover rates, but Harris himself was outstanding with the ball and keeping possession.    If you can get minutes out of KES that free up the ability for a Sills to play more point, for Mason to run with the second unit,  then you'll see more willingness to put Harris on the bench.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2019, 03:00:34 pm »

Just a guess but what if he has been cleared but the coaches don't want it out there yet. Mason jumped the gun and now silence.

There would be nothing to stop him from playing Saturday. No he's never played in a college game but he's been working out with these guys for two years. It's not like he doesn't know Anderson's system and by all accounts, in practice he is their best guard.

There's also a rumor that Memphis will take him and play him. Supposedly they don't have the same rigid standards on heart related conditions that Arkansas has because of the Garrett Uekman case. http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/7270932/arkansas-razorbacks-garrett-uekman-had-heart-condition-coroner-says

So what if Anderson made an issue out of this and Yurachek said okay, you can play him?

Again, just speculating.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2019, 03:12:13 pm »

I think Garland is getting cleared, too many leaks.

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2019, 03:15:10 pm »

Just a guess but what if he has been cleared but the coaches don't want it out there yet. Mason jumped the gun and now silence.

There would be nothing to stop him from playing Saturday. No he's never played in a college game but he's been working out with these guys for two years. It's not like he doesn't know Anderson's system and by all accounts, in practice he is their best guard.

There's also a rumor that Memphis will take him and play him. Supposedly they don't have the same rigid standards on heart related conditions that Arkansas has because of the Garrett Uekman case. http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/7270932/arkansas-razorbacks-garrett-uekman-had-heart-condition-coroner-says

So what if Anderson made an issue out of this and Yurachek said okay, you can play him?

Again, just speculating.

Khalil hasnít taken place in even a practice scrimmage since heís been here with the team. Hard to say heís the best when he hasnít played in any official team setting.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2019, 03:19:03 pm »

Khalil hasnít taken place in even a practice scrimmage since heís been here with the team. Hard to say heís the best when he hasnít played in any official team setting.
I've been told by someone close to the team and who watches a lot of their practices that the coaches say he is their best guard.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2019, 03:21:07 pm »

He was a Top 60 recruit, 6'5" guard with elite athleticism and driving ability. He shot also improved a lot before he got to campus, and has probably only gotten better since that's all he can do. Once in shape, Garland would be our best guard.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2019, 03:21:54 pm »

A productive KES is really the key to Harris playing less, IMO, even moreso than Sills or a freshman PG.

While the Ky Madden development track is what you want from Harris, the ability to play extended veteran minutes with minimizing turnovers, is what'll be big with Mike.

That's where Harris shone;  Arkansas had mediocre team turnover rates, but Harris himself was outstanding with the ball and keeping possession.    If you can get minutes out of KES that free up the ability for a Sills to play more point, for Mason to run with the second unit,  then you'll see more willingness to put Harris on the bench.

My argument to that is: Jalen Harris is 22 years old and already had a redshirt year on campus. Why should we think his shot will get any better?

ShadowHawg

« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2019, 03:25:21 pm »

My argument to that is: Jalen Harris is 22 years old and already had a redshirt year on campus. Why should we think his shot will get any better?

Corey Beck. Exact same circumstances. Played one season at a JUCO. Sat out a season on campus of Arkansas. Didnt even make a three pointer his entire sophomore season. Became good enough to knock them down when no one would extend out to guard him in junior season.

zebradynasty

• Senior
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2019, 03:26:32 pm »

I know MA is paid the big bucks to make the tough decisions but this is one that would be TOUGH! Yes the doctors could clear him but if something happened...it's not like when athlete has an episode and no one knew there was a problem. Could be a head trip if the doctors were wrong and he plays.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2019, 03:27:03 pm »

If he improves even a little, and improves his shot selection, it should help volumes.  Heck, even just better shot selection would be an important improvement.      We're not asking him to re-invent the wheel.  Just limit the bad looks.

zebradynasty

• Senior
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2019, 03:36:48 pm »

If he improves even a little, and improves his shot selection, it should help volumes.  Heck, even just better shot selection would be an important improvement.      We're not asking him to re-invent the wheel.  Just limit the bad looks.

Exactly no one expects him become Joe and make 100 3's. Not being funny but how could he get worse? I mean if the kid over the summer shoots 500-700 shots a day eventually they'll start falling in a game!

26.2Hog

• The future ain't what it used to be
« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2019, 03:39:01 pm »

Corey Beck. Exact same circumstances. Played one season at a JUCO. Sat out a season on campus of Arkansas. Didnt even make a three pointer his entire sophomore season. Became good enough to knock them down when no one would extend out to guard him in junior season.

When Beck was a sophomore he only took 2 shots from behind the line.

Harris took 66 and hit 12%.  That's more 3 pointers than Beck took his entire career as a Hog.

But Corey did hit 46% and 49% his junior and senior years.  Harris needs to shoot less and make more.

Mike Irwin

« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2019, 03:39:08 pm »

I know MA is paid the big bucks to make the tough decisions but this is one that would be TOUGH! Yes the doctors could clear him but if something happened...it's not like when athlete has an episode and no one knew there was a problem. Could be a head trip if the doctors were wrong and he plays.
Well again, I'm speculating. I have no idea why Mason Jones put up and then deleted that tweet. However, I have been told that if Arkansas does not clear Garland there are other schools that will take him and play him, including Memphis.

If I'm Mike Anderson, with the kind of pressure he's under, it would be hard to sit there and watch maybe my best player trot off to another school. Especially a school I recruit against.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2019, 03:44:10 pm »

I think Garland is getting cleared, too many leaks.
Ive said it for two years and really want it for the kid, AND for the Hogs. Kid is the team's best player, period.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2019, 03:50:33 pm »

Well again, I'm speculating. I have no idea why Mason Jones put up and then deleted that tweet. However, I have been told that if Arkansas does not clear Garland there are other schools that will take him and play him, including Memphis.

If I'm Mike Anderson, with the kind of pressure he's under, it would be hard to sit there and watch maybe my best player trot off to another school. Especially a school I recruit against.
Thanks Penny.  Mike can get motivated with a little pressure apparently. 

Hogeyeblind

« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2019, 03:51:09 pm »

I've been told by someone close to the team and who watches a lot of their practices that the coaches say he is their best guard.

So either he's never practiced a lick in 2 years or he's our best player.  Quite a contrast.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2019, 03:53:24 pm »

Harris took 66 and hit 12%.  That's more 3 pointers than Beck took his entire career as a Hog.

But Corey did hit 46% and 49% his junior and senior years.  Harris needs to shoot less and make more.

Beck didn't shoot because he couldn't. He developed his shot and when to take it.

The post that was in response was saying Harris' age would keep him from developing his shot and his decision making with regard to when to shoot.

Same age. Same bad shot.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #82 on: March 22, 2019, 03:57:05 pm »

???

Garland not playing the last two seasons has been a huge deal that complainers turn a blind eye to. If the school is being draconian in comparison to other HM schools about his condition, you have a new AD and the heat has been turned up, you would argue for a change also.

That's the school's fault, not the coach.

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #83 on: March 22, 2019, 03:57:47 pm »

Whatís the ceiling on improving any part your game? We see guys develop different skills every year as a pro. While heís not a pro, a jump shot is confidence and repetition. He has to be in the gym year round and not just the offseason and then after practice during the season.

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #84 on: March 22, 2019, 03:58:54 pm »

Out of MAís hands. This is a school thing.

26.2Hog

• The future ain't what it used to be
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2019, 04:01:58 pm »

Beck didn't shoot because he couldn't. He developed his shot and when to take it.

The post that was in response was saying Harris' age would keep him from developing his shot and his decision making with regard to when to shoot.

Same age. Same bad shot.

I guess we'll find out if Harris can match Beck's 3 point shooting the next two years. One can hope.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2019, 04:04:51 pm »

I guess we'll find out if Harris can match Beck's 3 point shooting the next two years. One can hope.

I am not saying he will. I am saying there is still opportunity for it to happen and the proof is Corey Beck.

zebradynasty

• Senior
« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2019, 04:11:11 pm »

I get that but MA has his faults but he is close to these kids. It would be hard on him to be around a kid  2-3 years spending a lot time with him and then something happens because he decided to play him. But if other schools have made it known they would play him then Jones must have been told that the doctors were going to clear Garland!

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2019, 04:15:08 pm »

If Harris hit 45% of his 3s, we'd be contending for an SEC title.

mbgrulz

« Reply #89 on: March 22, 2019, 04:30:58 pm »

I hope Garland gets cleared, and yes, heís the most talented guard on campus. Heíd change our whole outlook.

The whole thing about other schools willing to play him, but UA not doesnít make sense. If youíre KG, you donít waste half of your college eligibility on a school that wonít clear you when you could go to another perfectly good school that would. If thatís the case, he should have been long gone by now.

As for him being rusty, Iím sure heíd need time to get himself into peak condition. It is my understanding that he practices up to the point of contact play and plays pickup all the time on his own. 

zebradynasty

• Senior
« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2019, 04:35:32 pm »

I hope Garland gets cleared, and yes, heís the most talented guard on campus. Heíd change our whole outlook.

The whole thing about other schools willing to play him, but UA not doesnít make sense. If youíre KG, you donít waste half of your college eligibility on a school that wonít clear you when you could go to another perfectly good school that would. If thatís the case, he should have been long gone by now.

As for him being rusty, Iím sure heíd need time to get himself into peak condition. It is my understanding that he practices up to the point of contact play and plays pickup all the time on his own.

Doctors may have just cleared him. I was always under the impression UA would let him play if the doctors Ok'd it.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2019, 04:38:04 pm »

Garland is a loyal kid, who has always held out hope he would be cleared.  And it does make sense that the U of A is being as cautious as possible, given the history of the program.   Its going to have the highest hurdle in place to clear.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2019, 04:54:11 pm »

Garland is a loyal kid, who has always held out hope he would be cleared.  And it does make sense that the U of A is being as cautious as possible, given the history of the program.   Its going to have the highest hurdle in place to clear.

I never thought I'd see the day where Garland was in a Hog uniform. One of the best wings we've ever signed. I compared in to Sonny Weems, or a taller Barford. This kid would have made a difference this year and last. I hope this comes true.

makiavelli

• Varsity
  • Once a hog, always a hog
« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2019, 05:23:01 pm »

So say Garland gets cleared, he has 3 years to play 3 ?

Hawg Red

« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2019, 05:24:35 pm »

So say Garland gets cleared, he has 3 years to play 3 ?

Could potentially get a 6th year if he wanted, but I don't think he want to be entering the pro ranks at 24ish years old.

Smithian

« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2019, 06:03:39 pm »

I'm never going to get mad at the program for being overly cautious with a player's medical concerns. Especially after Garrett Uekman.

jbcarol

« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2019, 02:55:47 pm »

I'm never going to get mad at the program for being overly cautious with a player's medical concerns. Especially after Garrett Uekman.

Absolutely.

Say what you will about Rick Pitino but when he gave up the 1997 NCAA title even though Derek Anderson was cleared on his ACL, it said something about his priorities.

Later actions also spoke about his priorities but he put his realized multi-million dollar pro career over an NCAA Title.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2019, 04:14:32 pm »

Kevin can you tell us the position of the 1 player that is likely to stay and the other one that is likely to go?

Big Nasty 34

• John 3:16
« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2019, 05:54:06 pm »

Beck had a couple more scoring options than Harris lol.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas