RB Sports Discussion > Monday Morning Quarterback

Biggest Hype to biggest dudd

Pages: (1/2) > >>

hawgdavis:

Beano Cook (sorry) crowned this guy the greatest ever with 4 Heisman trophy’s coming his way. None other than Ron Powlus the savior of ND football.

This is the biggest dudd I can remember in collage.

hoggusamoungus:

--- Quote from: hawgdavis on March 20, 2019, 07:42:52 pm ---Beano Smith Cook crowned this guy the greatest ever with 4 Heisman trophy’s coming his way. None other than Ron Powlus the savior of ND football.

--- End quote ---

FIFY

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: hawgdavis on March 20, 2019, 07:42:52 pm ---Beano Smith crowned this guy the greatest ever with 4 Heisman trophy’s coming his way. None other than Ron Powlus the savior of ND football.

--- End quote ---

Beano Cook said 2, not 4.

Kiper said Clausen was going to be a big time NFL QB, or he'd retire.  Still doing the draft for some reason.

hawginbigd1:

Gotta be Ryan Leaf or Todd Marinovich.

redhogchilipepper:

Combined it was jerry Jones and Quincy Carter

greasy_corner:

Gary Brashears. 

(apologies to Gary if he's on HV, and been bitchin about Nutt for the past 15 yrs)

#1 STUNNA:

Basil Shabazz lol

Pigcrazy:

Leaf jumps out...  Danny White.... Marinovich... That Mustain kid...

OS2 (SW) Razor Back:

--- Quote from: #1 STUNNA on March 20, 2019, 09:42:49 pm ---Basil Shabazz lol

--- End quote ---

Marcus Dupree

SooieGeneris:

It's funny that most of the names listed on here excelled in college, including Marcus Dupree until injuries and listening to the wrong people took their toll.

Ron Powlus did NOT excel at the college level.

Biggest busts in an AR uniform: Gary Brashears. The reason Nuttcase put Stoerner back into a game vs Utah St. I think it was in 1999 was because Brashears was under a bit of rush and just fired the ball right at the rushing lineman's feet.

Drew a flag for Intentional grounding which is yardage from the spot and loss of down. On the very next play, Brashears rolled out to the right and when a defender approached he just loped out of bounds for another big loss.

The game was well in hand and Robby Hampton had already played earlier. Why Nutt didn't put Hampton back in instead of Stoerner, who knows, but Clint was snowed under on a blitz and suffered the shoulder separation that dogged him the rest of that season.

TexHog188:

Vinny "the hit man" Ascolese

Yamahog:

Dwayne Spann

jkstock04:

--- Quote from: SooieGeneris on March 21, 2019, 01:10:03 am ---It's funny that most of the names listed on here excelled in college, including Marcus Dupree until injuries and listening to the wrong people took their toll.

Ron Powlus did NOT excel at the college level.

Biggest busts in an AR uniform: Gary Brashears. The reason Nuttcase put Stoerner back into a game vs Utah St. I think it was in 1999 was because Brashears was under a bit of rush and just fired the ball right at the rushing lineman's feet.

Drew a flag for Intentional grounding which is yardage from the spot and loss of down. On the very next play, Brashears rolled out to the right and when a defender approached he just loped out of bounds for another big loss.

The game was well in hand and Robby Hampton had already played earlier. Why Nutt didn't put Hampton back in instead of Stoerner, who knows, but Clint was snowed under on a blitz and suffered the shoulder separation that dogged him the rest of that season.

--- End quote ---
This is some Mandela effect stuff for me....I thought Gary Brashears never made it past his first practice let alone play in a game?

DoubleReedHawgCaller:

Jeff George and Ryan Leaf.

LZH:

Who was that All-World QB that got drafted by the Bengals and never did squat?

rzrbaxfan:

--- Quote from: LZH on March 21, 2019, 06:56:41 am ---Who was that All-World QB that got drafted by the Bengals and never did squat?

--- End quote ---

Akili Smith?

rzrbaxfan:

--- Quote from: DoubleReedHawgCaller on March 21, 2019, 06:45:42 am ---Jeff George and Ryan Leaf.

--- End quote ---

Jeff George never lived up to the hype, but he did manage to stay in the league for quite some time and at least put together a flurry of success for Minnesota towards the end of his career (8-2 with a playoff win).  Ryan Leaf was more of what I'd call a bust.  He never came close to even being a serviceable backup.

#1 STUNNA:

Mitch Mustain?

oldhawg:

--- Quote from: #1 STUNNA on March 21, 2019, 09:07:52 am ---Mitch Mustain?

--- End quote ---

Mustain did have a bit of success at Arkansas, rode the bench at USC.

texas tush hog:

--- Quote from: #1 STUNNA on March 21, 2019, 09:07:52 am ---Mitch Mustain?

--- End quote ---

That was on Nutt mostly.

oldfart:

--- Quote from: texas tush hog on March 21, 2019, 09:27:45 am ---
That was on Nutt mostly.

--- End quote ---

mustain did well here untill nutts ego got the better of him

Inhogswetrust:

--- Quote from: ErieHog on March 20, 2019, 08:00:51 pm ---Beano Cook said 2, not 4.

Kiper said Clausen was going to be a big time NFL QB, or he'd retire.  Still doing the draft for some reason.

--- End quote ---

That’s because Mel Kiper is an Idiot.

Inhogswetrust:

--- Quote from: LZH on March 21, 2019, 06:56:41 am ---Who was that All-World QB that got drafted by the Bengals and never did squat?

--- End quote ---

You sure your not talking about Tim Couch and the Browns?

Inhogswetrust:

--- Quote from: hawginbigd1 on March 20, 2019, 08:22:57 pm ---Gotta be Ryan Leaf or Todd Marinovich.

--- End quote ---

Not in college but they are at least on the list for the pros.

cc:

--- Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 21, 2019, 10:18:57 am ---I think your talking about Tim Couch.

--- End quote ---
I’m thinking Tim Couch was drafted by the Browns. But yes not great career by any stretch.

Inhogswetrust:

--- Quote from: cc on March 21, 2019, 10:24:34 am ---I’m thinking Tim Couch was drafted by the Browns. But yes not great career by any stretch.

--- End quote ---

Yep. Good catch. I changed my post. I knew it was the Browns but got them confused. Thanks. For the Bengals I’d say Akili Smith.

cc:

--- Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 21, 2019, 10:26:23 am ---Yep. Good catch. I changed my post. I knew it was the Browns but got them confused. Thanks.

--- End quote ---

I forgot he was the first pick of 99 draft. Yikes. Browns and QB selections have been horrible at least in my lifetime. Not good numbers for the #1 pick. Positive I guess is he was better than Leaf and not crazy.

Career NFL statistics
Pass attempts:
Pass completions:
Completion percentage:
TD–INT:
64–67
Passing yards:
Passer rating:
Player stats at NFL.com

RyanMallettsEgo:

JaMarcus Russell. Hands down.

- #1 overall pick.
- Started 25 games in 3 years, played in 31 total

- Record as a starter: 7-18
- Completion percentage: 52.1
- Passing yards: 4,083
- Passing yards per game:131.7
- Touchdowns: 18
- Interceptions: 23
- QB rating: 65.2

SugarHillGaHog:

--- Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on March 21, 2019, 10:56:58 am ---JaMarcus Russell. Hands down.

- #1 overall pick.
- Started 25 games in 3 years, played in 31 total

- Record as a starter: 7-18
- Completion percentage: 52.1
- Passing yards: 4,083
- Passing yards per game:131.7
- Touchdowns: 18
- Interceptions: 23
- QB rating: 65.2

--- End quote ---

Add going from about 220 lbs in college to anywhere between 270-295 lbs in Pro. 

HogPharmer:

Troy Smith.

That's what he gets for robbing D-Mac of the Heisman though.

SooieGeneris:

The OP brought up Ron Powlus of Notre Dame. He of the minimum of 2 Heismans according to Beanbreath Cook.

Powlus had a decent career, but mediocrity does not win the Heisman. According to the OP, the way I understand it he is talking about guys hyped out of HS who flopped in college.

To call Vin Ascolese or Basil Shabazz flops in college is a misnomer since they NEVER PLAYED IN COLLEGE.

To call Ryan Leaf or Jeff George flops in college would not be accurate as they both did enough in college to be drafted #1-2 in the NFL draft.

You can call Mustain a flop and since he got so much hype, maybe he was compared to the expectations, but the guy was a winner in every college game he started even though it was what 9-10 games?

That is something a lot of 4-5 star guys would like to be able to say. Like Ricky Town or Gary Brashears.

And yes, Brashears did play in a few games at AR. I was at LR for the one in which he made two bonehead plays back to back and got yanked..

I was wrong about one thing, the opponent was not Utah St. as I thought, it was Middle TN but Brashears played in 2 games in his college career at AR.

https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/stats/football/1999/plyr_10.htm

ErieHog:

--- End quote ---

Which one?

Jack Thompson?  (3rd overall)   David Klingler? (6th overall)   Akili Smith?  (3rd overall)

Its rare to have 3 Top 6 QBs that combined that throw for less than 55 TDs combined as pros, in their entire career.

Dwight_K_Shrute:

This is an excellent read on Marinovich and his dad. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/01/11/todd-marinovich-dad-marv-quarterback-drugs-rehab

DoubleReedHawgCaller:

Trent Dilfer has to be the sorriest QB ever to when a super bowl,  but that's a different topic.

jusgtohogs:

for the Razorbacks version of this exercise, don't forget HDN as a player.  I will never forget seeing Holtz grabbing his facemask as he came off the field following an interception...

redleg:

Look at the Heisman winners over the last 30 years! The list of players than went on to become duds in the NFL is staggering!  :o
* Three of them never even made an NFL team!

1988 - Barry Sanders = Stud!
1989 - Andre Ware = dud
1990 - Ty Detmer = dud
1991 - Desmond Howard = semi-dud
1992 - Gino Torretta = dud
1993 - Charlie Ward* = dud, went to the NBA, a dud there too
1994 - Rashaan Salaam = dud
1995 - Eddie George = Stud!
1996 - Danny Wuerffel = dud
1997 - Charles Woodson = Stud!
1998 - Ricky Williams = dud
1999 - Ron Dayne = dud
2000 - Chris Weinke = dud
2001 - Eric Crouch* = dud
2002 - Carson Palmer = Stud!
2003 - Jason White* = dud
2004 - Matt Leinart = dud
2005 - Reggie Bush = vacated award, semi-dud
2006 - Troy Smith = dud
2007 - Tim Tebow = dud
2008 - Sam Bradford = mostly dud
2009 - Mark Ingram = semi-dud
2010 - Cam Newton = Good so far
2011 - Robert Griffin III = dud
2012 - Johnny Manziel = dud
2013 - Jameis Winston = dud
2014 - Marcus Mariota = TBD, trending semi-dud
2015 - Derrick Henry = TBD, trending dud
2016 - Lamar Jackson = TBD, ?
2017 - Baker Mayfield = TBD, trending Stud!
2018 - Kyler Murray = TBD, ?

If I were in charge of drafting for an NFL team, I don't think I would be inclined to draft a Heisman winning QB in today's college game! Especially a running QB from a spread offense.

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: redleg on March 21, 2019, 02:37:10 pm ---Look at the Heisman winners over the last 30 years! The list of players than went on to become duds in the NFL is staggering!  :o

--- End quote ---

Some of your 'Dud' choices are strange.

Ricky Williams ran for over 10,000 yards as a pro.

Dwight_K_Shrute:

--- Quote from: redleg on March 21, 2019, 02:37:10 pm ---Look at the Heisman winners over the last 30 years! The list of players than went on to become duds in the NFL is staggering!  :o

1988 - Barry Sanders = Stud!
1989 - Andre Ware = dud
1990 - Ty Detmer = dud
1991 - Desmond Howard = semi-dud
1992 - Gino Torretta = dud
1993 - Charlie Ward* = dud, went to the NBA, a dud there too
1994 - Rashaan Salaam = dud
1995 - Eddie George = Stud!
1996 - Danny Wuerffel = dud
1997 - Charles Woodson = Stud!
1998 - Ricky Williams = dud
1999 - Ron Dayne = dud
2000 - Chris Weinke = dud
2001 - Eric Crouch* = dud
2002 - Carson Palmer = Stud!
2003 - Jason White* = dud
2004 - Matt Leinart = dud
2005 - Reggie Bush = vacated award, semi-dud
2006 - Troy Smith = dud
2007 - Tim Tebow = dud
2008 - Sam Bradford = mostly dud
2009 - Mark Ingram = semi-dud
2010 - Cam Newton = Good so far
2011 - Robert Griffin III = dud
2012 - Johnny Manziel = dud
2013 - Jameis Winston = dud
2014 - Marcus Mariota = TBD, trending semi-dud
2015 - Derrick Henry = TBD, trending dud
2016 - Lamar Jackson = TBD, ?
2017 - Baker Mayfield = TBD, trending Stud!
2018 - Kyler Murray = TBD, ?

If I were in charge of drafting for an NFL team, I don't think I would be inclined to draft a Heisman winning QB in today's college game! Especially a running QB from a spread offense.

--- End quote ---

The Heisman trophy is for the best college football player not the best college football player with the greatest chance of having success as an NFL player.

hogwild6700:

Are we talking great High School player that was biggest bust in college or great college player that was biggest bust in NFL?

RyanMallettsEgo:

--- Quote from: hogwild6700 on March 21, 2019, 03:56:44 pm ---Are we talking great High School player that was biggest bust in college or great college player that was biggest bust in NFL?

--- End quote ---

Yes

247Hog:

Biggest Hype to biggest dudd - Bret Arnold Bielema

Tejano Jawg:

--- Quote from: ErieHog on March 20, 2019, 08:00:51 pm ---Beano Cook said 2, not 4.

--- End quote ---

WHICH Clausen? All 3 had a little something in college…assume we're talking about the last one.

Ex-Trumpet:

Tony Mandarich...though not a complete dud, never lived up to the hype.

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: Tejano Jawg on March 21, 2019, 05:08:10 pm ---WHICH Clausen? All 3 had a little something in college…assume we're talking about the last one.

--- End quote ---

Jimmy

McGloin:

Ronnie Wingo, Darnell Robinson

LZH:

--- Quote from: rzrbaxfan on March 21, 2019, 07:15:14 am ---Akili Smith?

--- End quote ---

There we are.............

LZH:

--- Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 21, 2019, 10:18:57 am ---You sure your not talking about Tim Couch and the Browns?

--- End quote ---

You just hate Texas WB's.

DoubleReedHawgCaller:

Johnny Football can be added to this list also.

MuskogeeHogFan:

--- Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on March 21, 2019, 05:15:24 pm ---Tony Mandarich...though not a complete dud, never lived up to the hype.

--- End quote ---

That's a good one. He was viewed as a dominating monster and "can't miss" as he headed into the NFL Draft. I think he was a steroid monster. He never lived up to his billing in the NFL.

Athog:

--- Quote from: Pigcrazy on March 20, 2019, 10:16:21 pm ---Leaf jumps out...  Danny White.... Marinovich... That Mustain kid...

--- End quote ---

Danny White? Which Danny White are you talking about??

Pages: (1/2) > >>

Go to full version