• 10,232,086 Posts
• 406,785 Topics
• 23,290 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2019 Expectations  (Read 752 times)

rightdp

2019 Expectations
« on: March 20, 2019, 06:38:15 pm »

I know that most Extra Innings regulars understand this, but I just wanna go ahead and put this out there.  I know we are playing well and just thumped a good Texas team.  But we have 35 regular season games left.  We will most likely lose AT LEAST  12-15 of those. The grind of the SEC is a totally different level than what we have faced so far.  There will be games where we are completely flat and seem to get dominated. We will lose some games that we are not supposed to lose.  That’s just baseball sometimes. Last year’s World Series runner-up full of older experienced guys with a Friday night starter who couldn’t lose finished the regular season at 37-17.  If this young, inexperienced team finishes even close to that, it will be nothing short of amazing. 

Supermark101

• Senior
  • We all need a little Love
Re: 2019 Expectations
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 07:26:17 pm »

No reason to not to expect a similar record. It would take a major slump not to finish. 500 in SEC play. Just one man's opinion

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

BaconTheSaddleAgain

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 08:04:56 pm »

One team, just one, averaged winning 2 games a weekend and that Florida. Arkansas was one of the three teams that almost did it, averaging 1.8 wins a weekend at 18-12 in conference. I don't think anybody in the SEC West is as good as Arkansas or Ole Miss was last year, so 18 wins could get it done again. The Hogs just need to focus on winning series. 2-1 is a great weekend, no matter who you play.

Superhog1959

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 08:34:28 pm »

When your coaching or playing you don't have expectations. You do your best. Focus. Focus on the process, not the result. If you win great. If you lose, move on. Winning is a habit. Losing can be a habit to. Play the game. Focus.

rightdp

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 09:38:40 pm »

When your coaching or playing you don't have expectations. You do your best. Focus. Focus on the process, not the result. If you win great. If you lose, move on. Winning is a habit. Losing can be a habit to. Play the game. Focus.

But when you’re a fan, you have expectations. 

BroyledNutts

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 11:21:55 pm »

But when you’re a fan, you have expectations. 

Getting to a Regional is the baseline.
Hosting a Regional is the expectation.
Hosting a Super-Regional is the ideal.
Going to Omaha is the objective.

SEC titles, & SECT titles, are lagniappe, but the above is the goal and the standard.

lstewart

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 09:30:34 am »

We will probably play around 500 for the reminder of the SEC season, and finish something like 17-13. Probably have around 35 wins at the end of the regular season. Hopefully we will be rolling once the regionals start. May host, but could be a 2 seed on the road.

BaconTheSaddleAgain

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 10:42:57 am »

Getting to a Regional is the baseline.
Hosting a Regional is the expectation.
Hosting a Super-Regional is the ideal.
Going to Omaha is the objective.

SEC titles, & SECT titles, are lagniappe, but the above is the goal and the standard.

I agree other than if you win the division, you probably a host a Super.

jbell96

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2019, 10:45:49 am »

We will probably play around 500 for the reminder of the SEC season, and finish something like 17-13. Probably have around 35 wins at the end of the regular season. Hopefully we will be rolling once the regionals start. May host, but could be a 2 seed on the road.

Not sure what you basing your opinion on, but if we win 17 or 18 games in the SEC then we'll be hosting a regional, not be a 2 seed.

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2019, 11:18:40 am »

Before the season started, I expected the team to make it to regionals and anything after that was a bonus. As the season has progressed, my expectations have gone up. This team should host a regional and make it to supers. If they don’t, I will be disappointed but not mad. We are extremely young and have over achieved so far this year.

BroyledNutts

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2019, 12:04:38 pm »

I agree other than if you win the division, you probably a host a Super.

More often than not, yes.
Some situations have occurred where a team can still get a national seed and not win the division - it's not common, but not out of the realm of possibility.

Bruinstyle2001

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 12:30:24 pm »

More often than not, yes.
Some situations have occurred where a team can still get a national seed and not win the division - it's not common, but not out of the realm of possibility.

Here is one such instance I remember off-hand:

In 2004, Georgia won the SEC East and tied the hogs for the SEC Regular Season title.  However, Georgia did not get a national seed and South Carolina did.

BroyledNutts

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 01:59:15 pm »

Here is one such instance I remember off-hand:

In 2004, Georgia won the SEC East and tied the hogs for the SEC Regular Season title.  However, Georgia did not get a national seed and South Carolina did.

That one's still a head scratcher ... seems there was some behind the scenes cookin going on with that one.

HogFoo

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 02:26:14 pm »

I know that most Extra Innings regulars understand this, but I just wanna go ahead and put this out there.  I know we are playing well and just thumped a good Texas team.  But we have 35 regular season games left.  We will most likely lose AT LEAST  12-15 of those. The grind of the SEC is a totally different level than what we have faced so far.  There will be games where we are completely flat and seem to get dominated. We will lose some games that we are not supposed to lose.  That’s just baseball sometimes. Last year’s World Series runner-up full of older experienced guys with a Friday night starter who couldn’t lose finished the regular season at 37-17.  If this young, inexperienced team finishes even close to that, it will be nothing short of amazing.
I was kind of skeptical of how this season might go.  But, i think our pitching IS better despite yesterdays performance.  And i will say, if Opitz was behing the plate framing some of those pitches, it wouldnt have been that bad and we probably win quite easily.    Still, i think our weekend guys are going to be great.  I think our team is just going to keep getting better.  Franklin in LF is a stud!   He can get to about every ball hit, and he is leading the team in Rbis for a 9 hole batter.  If we can get Martin out of his hitting funk.  I mean, he was swinging at crazy pitches yesterday!  And has been doing that recently.  I think he trying too hard.  i dont know, but we need him to get his head right.  Fielding, we are doing pretty well in that category.  i like that we are trying to run more.  Yes, this isnt the HR hitting team from last year and that's fine.   This team will be pretty dang good come post season.   Kotyshock/cronin will be a deadly finishing combo.   Especially if we could use them both say Friday/Sunday.     

i do have faith we are gonna get a regional, and who knows, maybe even a super.  watch and see!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas