• 10,330,850 Posts
• 408,952 Topics
• 23,359 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: #1 Power Back of all Time,  (Read 4206 times)

feral boar

Re: #1 Power Back of all Time,
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2019, 12:32:54 am »

Until Steve Atwater

big of fan of atwater as anyone (if he'd just come up with that pick) but you better take a look at the hit again. even atwater said he caught him off balance. money is on nigerian in best of 5. they overused the nigerian but guys said they knew what was coming and still couldn't stop him. injuries and his straight up style did.

most of the bruisers were certainly short timers and earl was a shock to the nfl. he also ran thru and around the hogs a few times. probably no one more physical but some close.

also there was a huge back for atm in the 70's that done some damage in the swc his name escapes at the moment.

longtimeHogfan

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2019, 07:42:09 am »

Probably Earl C. but I'm surprised Eric Dickerson didn't get an honorable mention...

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Dillar Dog

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2019, 08:00:10 am »

big of fan of atwater as anyone (if he'd just come up with that pick) but you better take a look at the hit again. even atwater said he caught him off balance. money is on nigerian in best of 5. they overused the nigerian but guys said they knew what was coming and still couldn't stop him. injuries and his straight up style did.

most of the bruisers were certainly short timers and earl was a shock to the nfl. he also ran thru and around the hogs a few times. probably no one more physical but some close.

also there was a huge back for atm in the 70's that done some damage in the swc his name escapes at the moment.

This is true.

I love Atwater, but people always forget how many of those battles he lost.

oldfart

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2019, 09:46:45 am »

true but Jim could actually make a few cuts and moves, but EARL just lowered his shoulders.

But Jim Brown was a bad arse for sure.

i never played lacrosse but the idea if jim brown with a stick in his hand is frightening

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2019, 10:13:42 am »

Probably Earl C. but I'm surprised Eric Dickerson didn't get an honorable mention...

I don’t think Eric was considered a “power” back.

Birminghog

• Ludwig calls the Hogs at Hogville.net
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2019, 10:15:08 am »

Jim Brown - good Lord, Jim Brown.

oldfart

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2019, 11:54:50 am »

Jim Brown - good Lord, Jim Brown.

im probably one of the few on here who saw jim brown in any action other than the dirty dozen...  if he had not dropped out of football no telling how many records he would have set.. no you probably would not call him a "power back" but he certainly plowed over a lot in his time....  i would pick him as the first running back if i ever started a team....

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2019, 12:08:53 pm »

im probably one of the few on here who saw jim brown in any action other than the dirty dozen...  if he had not dropped out of football no telling how many records he would have set.. no you probably would not call him a "power back" but he certainly plowed over a lot in his time.... i would pick him as the first running back if i ever started a team....

So would I, he was special..

oldhawg

« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2019, 12:55:26 pm »

im probably one of the few on here who saw jim brown in any action other than the dirty dozen...  if he had not dropped out of football no telling how many records he would have set.. no you probably would not call him a "power back" but he certainly plowed over a lot in his time....  i would pick him as the first running back if i ever started a team....

Likewise.  If memory serves me correctly, the year he retired he was awarded the leagues MVP award, at twenty-nine years of age.  He certainly had a few good years left, but decided to retire on his own terms and pursue other interests.

« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2019, 07:47:25 pm »

Earl Campbell:
In ten seasons Campbell averaged 81.8 rushing yards/game with 2 seasons that he averaged over 100 yards/game.
His average yards per touch (running and receiving) was 4.4 yards per game.
Selected to the pro bowl five seasons, named first team all-pro three times.
Houston made the play-offs three times.
Did not return kicks or punts.
Career rushing attempts - 2187.
Total career yards - 9407.
Scored 74 touchdowns.

Jim Brown:
In nine seasons, Brown averaged 104.3 rushing yards/game with 7 seasons that he averaged over 100 yards/game.  His average yards per touch was 5.7 yards per game. 
Selected to the pro bowl all nine seasons that he played, named first team all-pro eight of those nine seasons.
Cleveland made the play-offs four times.
Returned 29 kicks-offs with a 27.8 average per return.
Career rushing attempts - 2359.
Total rushing yards - 12,312.
Scored 126 touchdowns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGupe7nKuU

Since you are old enough to remember Jim Brown you are old enough to remember Jim Taylor.
It was said Brown would give you a leg and then take it away.
Taylor would give you a leg and shove it down your throat

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2019, 07:51:57 pm »

Since you are old enough to remember Jim Brown you are old enough to remember Jim Taylor.

Jim Taylor was great, but he was no Jim Brown...sorry not even close

oldfart

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2019, 08:52:24 pm »

i agree taylor was good for a few years span but was secondary even on his own team

oldhawg

« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2019, 10:46:31 pm »

Jim Taylor was a bull.  He didn't know what avoiding a tackle was, only running through them.  He and the golden boy, Paul Hornung, were an effective duo at Green Bay for a while, then Taylor finished his career at New Orleans I think.

kp72204

« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2019, 03:50:25 am »

I was thinking Okoye as well. I am surprised nobody brought up Jerome Bettis. He was a beast as well. Fair to say that I'm a chiefs fan.

LZH

« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2019, 06:20:19 am »

there was a huge back for atm in the 70's that done some damage in the swc his name escapes at the moment.

Robert Woodus?

And has Dennis Johnson popped into anyone’s head? Pound-for-pound was a mutha. Fairly small guy but hell to get on the ground!

And don’t forget the Bus, Ickey Woods, and Daryl Johnson. And that big guy that played for the Giants was so damn hard to bring down, too. I forget his name.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 06:32:36 am by LZH »

Soooie21

• Hogville.net
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2019, 07:01:02 am »

I watch him in his prime...beast..

FASTEST 40

« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2019, 08:09:40 am »

Never heard of Taylor...but his wiki page was a damn fine read.

SRV

« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2019, 08:27:01 am »

I grew up a Cowboys fan, but I had Earl Campbell's poster on my wall. He was a beast.
Bo was a superior athlete, in a much more athletic time in the NFL. What he did on the field was amazing to watch. Both of them were incredibly gifted players.

I have seen footage of Jim Brown. Fantastic player. I would have liked to have seen him live.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2019, 10:37:51 am »

I was thinking Okoye as well. I am surprised nobody brought up Jerome Bettis. He was a beast as well. Fair to say that I'm a chiefs fan.

Okoye was never the same after he got hit by a former Razorback!

oldfart

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2019, 10:43:06 am »

Jim Taylor was a bull.  He didn't know what avoiding a tackle was, only running through them.  He and the golden boy, Paul Hornung, were an effective duo at Green Bay for a while, then Taylor finished his career at New Orleans I think.

yes Taylor signed on with New orleans.... lombardi never forgave him for that... but taylor was from LA and had a lot of business interests there....he and hornung were almost unstoppable combination in the famous Green Bay sweep with fuzzy thurston and jerry kramer pulling to block

gmarv

« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2019, 11:11:52 am »

I  think for raw power for sure Earl Campbell.Just to add a little twist who was lb. for lb. the toughest back.I would like to add Walter Paytons name to the list he finished every run he never went out of bounds on his own.

liljo

« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2019, 11:38:43 am »

I  think for raw power for sure Earl Campbell.Just to add a little twist who was lb. for lb. the toughest back.I would like to add Walter Paytons name to the list he finished every run he never went out of bounds on his own.
You mentioned my all-time fave RB regardless of style in Walter.  He had power, wiggle, vision, and best of all he had supreme balance. He was so much fun to watch.

But for pure power, I’m sticking with Earl Campbell. He had a five year run in the NFL that was about as good as anyone ever. After that the pounding took its toll. That was One Bad Skoal Brother.

oldhawg

« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2019, 01:16:20 pm »

Does anyone remember Roosevelt Leaks?

1973: Arkansas 6  Texas 34

Rushing              No Gain Loss  Net TD Lg  Avg
-------------------------------------------------
Leaks,Roosevelt      24  209    0  209  3 59  8.7

What a miserable day that was.

Pa-Paw

• Varsity
  • Hogville.net Rocks!
    • Picturetrail
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2019, 01:33:30 pm »

In 1973 I watched Roosevelt Leaks run for 342 yards against SMU at the old Cotton Bowl. 

EastexHawg

« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2019, 02:08:27 pm »

George Woodard.  He weighed close to 280 pounds.  One of our defenders met him in the hole and stood him up.  That has obviously been a long time ago and I have sadly forgotten who it was.  I am thinking Larry Jackson but I think Woodard played before Larry's time.

LZH

« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2019, 02:13:07 pm »

George Woodard.  He weighed close to 280 pounds.  One of our defenders met him in the hole and stood him up.  That has obviously been a long time ago and I have sadly forgotten who it was.  I am thinking Larry Jackson but I think Woodard played before Larry's time.

That’s who I was thinking about.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

« Reply #76 on: March 22, 2019, 02:36:56 pm »

Does anyone remember Bubba Bean?

EastexHawg

« Reply #77 on: March 22, 2019, 03:47:24 pm »

Does anyone remember Bubba Bean?

Yes, he was the A&M running back before George Woodard and Curtis Dickey.  They finally beat Texas in 1975 and looked like they were on their way, maybe to the national championship.  And then...we whipped them in Little Rock.

TheRazorback500

• It's better to burn out than fade away.
« Reply #78 on: March 22, 2019, 08:04:47 pm »

Brown by a nose over Csonka.

Hollywood_HOGan45

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Hollywood could coach better than nutt.
« Reply #79 on: March 22, 2019, 08:08:39 pm »

Tyrone Henry or mark pierce.

hawgdavis

« Reply #80 on: March 22, 2019, 09:50:21 pm »

I feel dumb I’m a life long Steelers fan and completely whiffed on him, he was a stud along with Barry Foster

mckinneyhog5

« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2019, 01:08:28 am »

Jim Brown.

Huff knew all about Brown before they ever made it to the NFL. The two played against one another in college. While Huff was at West Virginia, Brown was at Syracuse.

"I hit him so hard, I knocked myself out," Huff recalled. "I have a big scar between my eyes and nose where my helmet hit. I broke my nose, and the enamel shattered off my teeth. That's how hard I hit him."

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-2007-09-28-colrefer28-story.html

kp72204

« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2019, 01:38:20 am »

Robert Woodus?

And has Dennis Johnson popped into anyone’s head? Pound-for-pound was a mutha. Fairly small guy but hell to get on the ground!

And don’t forget the Bus, Ickey Woods, and Daryl Johnson. And that big guy that played for the Giants was so damn hard to bring down, too. I forget his name.
Brandon Jacobs?

lasthog

« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2019, 04:29:32 am »

Jim Brown.

Huff knew all about Brown before they ever made it to the NFL. The two played against one another in college. While Huff was at West Virginia, Brown was at Syracuse.

"I hit him so hard, I knocked myself out," Huff recalled. "I have a big scar between my eyes and nose where my helmet hit. I broke my nose, and the enamel shattered off my teeth. That's how hard I hit him."

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-2007-09-28-colrefer28-story.html

Read an interview from some fellow who had played against Earl (A/K/A The Tyler Rose) in High School. All I recall was that he was in the secondary and Earl came through the line. Now, said the guy, it was just me and Earl. That's the last thing he remembers about that except when he woke up there were seven more points on the board.

Athog

« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2019, 09:28:09 am »

Earl Campbell!

havok

« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2019, 09:50:20 am »

Christian Okoye was a bruiser... till Steve Atwater Knocked a big helping of reality into him. 

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2019, 10:06:23 am »

Christian Okoye was a bruiser... till Steve Atwater Knocked a big helping of reality into him. 

It’s the bully syndrome. Bullies are tough until they get punched in the face.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2019, 10:07:41 am »

Nobody has mentioned........the fridge.

oldfart

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #88 on: March 23, 2019, 02:19:53 pm »

I will concede that if you strictly define a "power back" as someone who runs straight ahead and simply runs over everyone that Earl Campbell probably ranks as the greatest .. however if i were picking a running back for overall power and ability it would hands down be Jim Brown.  he combined great speed with power, and weighed 225 at a time when most offensive and defensive linemen didnt weigh much more than that

alohawg

« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2019, 03:45:58 pm »

Earl Campbell would be arrested for child abuse if he played on an NFL field today.

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2019, 11:24:57 am »

Since 1990. I’d say Jerome Bettis

LZH

« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2019, 07:01:01 pm »

Brandon Jacobs?

Yep, that's him.  He was a load.  Not saying GOAT or anything, just guys who popped into my head at the time.

While we're at it, how 'bout that white kid at LSU several years ago?  And the guy that played at Utah and went to the Falcons (I think)?.....Anderson?

oldfart

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2019, 01:07:20 am »

Since 1990. I’d say Jerome Bettis

not a bad choicy

« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2019, 08:41:11 am »

Jim Taylor was great, but he was no Jim Brown...sorry not even close

Sorry but the subject was "power back"

Jim Taylor was one of the best power backs to ever play the game.
I did not say he was better than Jim Brown but at the time they were close.
Taylor beat out Brown for MVP in 62.

1962 championship game
Taylor's performance in Green Bay's 16–7 win over the Giants in the 1962 NFL Championship Game came to define his mental and physical toughness.[31][18] In frigid conditions at Yankee Stadium, Taylor carried 31 times for 85 yards and scored the Packers' only touchdown against what was considered the league's best defense, both statistically and by reputation.[32] Lombardi entrusted Taylor with the ball, as he was confident his fullback would be able to move the offense and not turn it over.[33] The game was highlighted by the fierce rivalry between Taylor and Giants linebacker Sam Huff.[26] The two clashed on nearly every play and engaged in trash talk throughout the game. Steve Sabol, who filmed the game with his father for NFL Films, described it as such:

The lasting image of that game in my mind is the ferocity and anger of Jim Taylor ... his barely restrained rage as he ran with the ball. Taylor just got the darn kicked out of him all day long ... There was all this trash-talking between him and especially Sam Huff ... Tons of profanity when they tackled him. I had never experienced anything like that.[26]

Taylor withstood a tremendous amount of punishment throughout the game.[34] At one point in the first quarter, he bit his tongue while being tackled by Huff, causing him to swallow blood for the rest of the game. He also required six stitches at halftime to close a gash on his elbow.[35] Some players wondered if he could even play in the second half. "Taylor isn't human," said Huff. "No human being could have taken the punishment he got today."[36][33][34] Taylor described the contest in the locker room after the game, saying, "I never took a worse beating on a football field. The Giants hit me hard, and then I hit the ground hard. I got it both ways. This was the toughest game I've ever played ... I just rammed it down their throats by letting my running do my talking. They couldn't rattle me ... I think Huff hit me with his elbow after a tackle. Anyway, I cut my tongue of all things."[26] Additionally, Taylor was playing while sick; two weeks later, he learned he had hepatitis,[33][36] which contributed to his 15-pound weight loss prior to the game.[26]

"

farfromgroovins

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2019, 09:13:43 am »

That said, the only reason they are getting mentioned ahead of Jim Brown is that 95% of those so voting never saw Jim Brown play "live".  I don't think he would win the race against the others, but on the other hand, I don't remember anyone catching him from behind unless he was dragging a defender along for the ride.  If those others ran a 10.3 hundred meters, Brown probably ran a 10.5 or 10.6.  He had plenty of speed.  But he also shed defenders like water off of a duck's back

I'd have to go with him, and that's no disrespect to any of the others mentioned - great players all.

Not even the Martians could bring down Brown.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq8BS9Ra_3s

oldfart

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2019, 10:30:41 am »

jim brown outran the germans——-almost

oldhawg

« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2019, 11:32:53 am »

Just to muddy the waters a little bit:

Here is SI's all time list of top 25 Power Backs:
https://www.si.com/nfl/2013/03/05/top-25-power-running-backs

Here is Bleacher Reports top ten Power Backs:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/775399-nfl-the-top-ten-power-running-backs-of-all-time#slide0

Here is a discussion (Bleacher Report) about the traits that make a quality Power running back:
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1230497-what-traits-make-a-qualty-power-running-back

sporchie92

• Walk-On
« Reply #97 on: April 01, 2019, 08:42:05 am »

As I understand it, you really like sports. Since my childhood, I have always loved football, basketball, baseball, and golf, and this is a very cool feeling to watch all the games. And you can turn your interest in sports games into real money using https://1xbet.cm/fr/ - a very reliable, convenient and simple site!

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2019, 06:09:12 pm »

As I understand it, you really like sports. Since my childhood, I have always loved football, basketball, baseball, and golf, and this is a very cool feeling to watch all the games. And you can turn your interest in sports games into real money using https://1xbet.cm/fr/ - a very reliable, convenient and simple site!

That’s not why we have Hogville.

Papawhawg

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #99 on: April 01, 2019, 09:26:31 pm »

Campbell, and it's really not that close.
Jim Brown, Riggins, Csonka next.

Earl was a beast.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas