RB Sports Discussion > SEC Sports

Posters who are ďin the knowĒ?

(1/2) > >>

Screamster:
Who are the guys on Hogville that actually have inside info that is reliable and not just something they saw on another board? Who can we trust? Erie, Porkatarian, others...?

checkraiser88:
Go with your gut

jst01:
Itís not really who KNOWS anything. If youíve been around here long enough, you realize who is totally full of it. Then when they make a statement, believe the opposite.

Screamster:
Iíve learned through experience that my gut can be very deceiving! At my age trusting my gut can get very messy

onebadrubi:
People will say the hear, they know, etc.  some read on pay boards, Twitter, Reddit etc to draw these conclusions and bring it this freeboard to pass along and look to be viewed as in the know.  Others have shown to sometimes have connections and sometimes they really do and things happen, their connections just end up wrong.  No one has hit the connections 100%.  And often itís a random that breaks it first , like this time userpick who is not known to voice connections started the Mike out chatter.  Followed by the usual thought to be in the know oorkatarian (who appears connected). 

Smithian:
Remember even Yurachek probably isn't certain what is going to happen. Reasoned analysis of the situation at hand is as valuable as being in the know.

I don't know if Jim Harris or ErieHog are all at all connected, but they are well reasoned and more active than most. Mike Irwin puts his name behind stuff so that gives him weight. Kevin McPherson's encyclopedic knowledge on Razorback recruiting makes me think he must know some people.

Don't confuse post count for reliability. I can't remember the poster, but there was a poster during Pelphrey era who came in, had some really well reasoned posts, a couple accurate predictions, then disappeared before I think he had even a hundred posts. No big news breaks, but I still think it was a staffer who got smoked out.

As checkraiser said, use your gut and give everything the smell test.

RazorPiggie:
Trust no one.

iHeartHogs:
In my experience there is no one worth their salt who would post any solid information on a message board. 

Breems:
Porked Tongue had the most accurate info I've seen, but I don't believe he's around anymore.

Boardon Hamsay:
The poster in the know situation is fluid.

widespreadsooie:

--- Quote from: Smithian on March 18, 2019, 09:42:14 pm ---Remember even Yurachek probably isn't certain what is going to happen. Reasoned analysis of the situation at hand is as valuable as being in the know.

I don't know if Jim Harris or ErieHog are all at all connected, but they are well reasoned and more active than most. Mike Irwin puts his name behind stuff so that gives him weight. Kevin McPherson's encyclopedic knowledge on Razorback recruiting makes me think he must know some people.

Don't confuse post count for reliability. I can't remember the poster, but there was a poster during Pelphrey era who came in, had some really well reasoned posts, a couple accurate predictions, then disappeared before I think he had even a hundred posts. No big news breaks, but I still think it was a staffer who got smoked out.

As checkraiser said, use your gut and give everything the smell test.

--- End quote ---

I think McPherson has some real sources

Porked Tongue:
Presentation is everything.  I'm not much on the need to defend the info shared.

Just give what you think/know/believe/heard and let others digest it as they wish.

Over time, some will prove more often right than not.  Some will prove to be blowhards or just jerks dismissing everything from everyone.

WilsonHog:
When I log on, I look immediately for the latest posts from Porkatarian, Mike Irwin, SnoutSays, and Erie.

Smithian:

--- Quote from: widespreadsooie on March 18, 2019, 09:47:11 pm ---I think McPherson has some real sources

--- End quote ---
I'm a McPherson groupie. If I'm busy at work and looking for a Hog Hoops fix I'll pull up his posts and see if anything new.

The second we lose in the NIT, there will be a lot of posters claiming Anderson is most likely fired by next morning, including a couple good ones. I won't believe it if breaks on Hogville unless McPherson or Irwin posts it. They won't run with weak information.

Porked Tongue:

--- Quote from: widespreadsooie on March 18, 2019, 09:47:11 pm ---I think McPherson has some real sources

--- End quote ---
No doubt about it. I think a decent mix of them too.  I think he's very careful since his name is on it and when he's ready to share it he's vetted it out in advance.

For many, like myself, it's easier to share without a bunch of crosschecking. If I trust the person I resourced and know they are in a position to know/hear, I'll share it.  The glitch with that is that could be wrong on it's face or change before fruition.  The "fluid" think is a great punch line, but it's truly accurate until whatever we are talking about is done and sometimes not even then.

pigzwillrise:

--- Quote from: Screamster on March 18, 2019, 09:36:18 pm ---Who are the guys on Hogville that actually have inside info that is reliable and not just something they saw on another board? Who can we trust? Erie, Porkatarian, others...?

--- End quote ---
I can assure you that at least one of them does not even understand the game of basketball. Nor should they be considered an insider.

hogfanny:
Jim Harris and Boardon Hamsey I believe. Erie and Mike Irwin love Anderson so much they have no credibility. McPherson is solid on recruiting. Myself I don't claim to know anything but I am opinionated somewhat.

widespreadsooie:
I think there is a slight flaw in assuming that there's info consistently withheld from the public, material info at least. Right now, I doubt there's much we can't assume. Now, if we have a replacement coach chosen or Mike's back 100%, that's a different story.

ShadowHawg:
Honestly, none. They do have connections but they get those people's opinions more often than they are given facts. The best thing is to keep up with all the guys mentioned.

You can weed out the stuff that they don't agree on and get a pretty good picture that way.

Hawg Red:

--- Quote from: hogfanny on March 18, 2019, 09:58:59 pm ---Jim Harris and Boardon Hamsey I believe. Erie and Mike Irwin love Anderson so much they have no credibility. McPherson is solid on recruiting.

--- End quote ---

Wouldnít it stand to reason that Irwin and Erie saying they think Mike is gone is legit if they love him so much?

widespreadsooie:
I'm sorry but why would Mike Irwin be the guy with a secret? His line of work is reporting news...Razorback sports news specifically.

swineology:

--- Quote from: Screamster on March 18, 2019, 09:36:18 pm ---Who are the guys on Hogville that actually have inside info that is reliable and not just something they saw on another board? Who can we trust? Erie, Porkatarian, others...?

--- End quote ---

Nick Mason is pretty connected but isn't on Hogville that I know of.

Boardon Hamsay:
My only ďinsiderĒ in this regard is a former manager from the title team and Iíd strongly bet his ďinsiderĒ is a coach on the staff. The general aroma I get is that decision makers are letting the season play out and are maintaining their plausible deniability. My buddy said Mike and staff was gone a few days ago and still thinks that is the case but nothing will happen with games still to play. Nothing shocking nor suprising nor guaranteed. Common sense tends to be boring.

Iím sure the juicier but more fluid info is out there with the folks who, among other things, manage the plausible deniability part.

HogFansReunited:
It doesnít matter who who trust. I had a BOT member tell me who our next football coach was going to be (Norvell) and it didnít happen. If he could be wrong on that, then everyone is just speculating. He went as far as to say it was a done deal but that is all I will say about that situation.

Hawginj:

--- Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 18, 2019, 10:12:07 pm ---He still knows stuff about the Mitch Mustain stuff we probably never will. Reporters have to have proof that will stand in a court of law to make it public.

--- End quote ---
They do? Not in the last 16 years! A good reporter will report news but whats out there today is pure opinion and propaganda, not saying there still aren't good honest reporters left but come on now  the bs in the news is everywhere even in sports!

Hawg Red:

--- Quote from: HogFansReunited on March 18, 2019, 10:44:42 pm ---It doesnít matter who who trust. I had a BOT member tell me who our next football coach was going to be (Norvell) and it didnít happen. If he could be wrong on that, then everyone is just speculating. He went as far as to say it was a done deal but that is all I will say about that situation.

--- End quote ---

Forgot to log out of your alter, PiP.

Dwight_K_Shrute:

--- Quote from: hogfanny on March 18, 2019, 09:58:59 pm ---Jim Harris and Boardon Hamsey I believe. Erie and Mike Irwin love Anderson so much they have no credibility. McPherson is solid on recruiting. Myself I don't claim to know anything but I am opinionated somewhat.

--- End quote ---

Erie loves Mike so much that he started a thread asking posters who their preferred candidates are and even gave out rumored money on the table.

Hawginj:

--- Quote from: HogFansReunited on March 18, 2019, 10:44:42 pm ---It doesnít matter who who trust. I had a BOT member tell me who our next football coach was going to be (Norvell) and it didnít happen. If he could be wrong on that, then everyone is just speculating. He went as far as to say it was a done deal but that is all I will say about that situation.

--- End quote ---
who's to say that off the information that person had that it wasn't true, I mean common sense tells us that strange things can happen. Like an influential alum stepping in and throwing some weight around to get his guy a job or a cult infiltrating the hiring process and picking a guy thier messiah recommends I mean it could happen right?

hogfanny:

--- Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 18, 2019, 11:08:24 pm ---Erie loves Mike so much that he started a thread asking posters who their preferred candidates are and even gave out rumored money on the table.

--- End quote ---
Yes and he set his parameters so narrow that the only option was to keep Anderson.

porkrindjimmy:

--- Quote from: hogfanny on March 18, 2019, 11:11:48 pm ---Yes and he set his parameters so narrow that the only option was to keep Anderson.

--- End quote ---

You are an outright lie. Erie thinks he is gone. You are another mouth breather.

And yep, I support Mike and I damn sure supported Nolan.

And although I am getting info that Mike stays, if they fire him tomorrow, I ain't burning anything down, I ain't boycotting anything and I aint gonna root for another team.

You are about 6.

I bet Irwin is shattered you don't like him just fine anymore.

PRJ

swineology:

--- Quote from: porkrindjimmy on March 19, 2019, 12:22:01 am ---You are an outright lie. Erie thinks he is gone. You are another mouth breather.

And yep, I support Mike and I damn sure supported Nolan.

And although I am getting info that Mike stays, if they fire him tomorrow, I ain't burning anything down, I ain't boycotting anything and I gonna root for another team.

You are about 6.

I bet Irwin is shattered you don't like him just fine anymore.

PRJ

--- End quote ---

Crap, I wanted to see you burn some furniture PRJ.

;)

porkrindjimmy:

--- Quote from: swineology on March 19, 2019, 12:36:23 am ---
Crap, I wanted to see you burn some furniture PRJ.

;)

--- End quote ---

I might burn a couch...

Just for you

PRJ

porkrindjimmy:

--- End quote ---

The deal with the Boosters and the BOT here at Arkansas is they very seldom are unified. Always factions.

They unified to fire Bielema and Long. Then they scattered like quail. Even before they were fired, you had people who wanted Gus.  They were gonna wait Gus out. You had one reach out to Leach. You had the dudes who liked Norvell. One in the administration had their eyes on Kiffin. And you had 2 buffoons who in all seriousness, wanted Tim Horton

And while it won't be as divided on the basketball side, this person hearing this, this person hearing that and it all differs from what I have been told. Shows me they have squared up again against each other.

And if Mike was fired, you are gonna have probably 3 factions square up again on who they want as coach..

In other words, it will become another turkey shoot, with a couple of chickens running around with their heads cut off.

PRJ

Deep Shoat:

--- Quote from: porkrindjimmy on March 19, 2019, 12:45:50 am ---The deal with the Boosters and the BOT here at Arkansas is they very seldom are unified. Always factions.

They unified to fire Bielema and Long. Then they scattered like quail. Even before they were fired, you had people who wanted Gus.  They were gonna wait Gus out. You had one reach out to Leach. You had the dudes who liked Norvell. One in the administration had their eyes on Kiffin. And you had 2 buffoons who in all seriousness, wanted Tim Horton

And while it won't be as divided on the basketball side, this person hearing this, this person hearing that and it all differs from what I have been told. Shows me they have squared up again against each other.

And if Mike was fired, you are gonna have probably 3 factions square up again on who they want as coach..

In other words, it will become another turkey shoot, with a couple of chickens running around with their heads cut off.

PRJ

--- End quote ---
Yep.

I figured this out years ago when you and I were getting competing info from major players.  Thatís why I finally stopped prognosticating. 

What I know today is that Mike is in a tight spot.  He might have enough friends to survive it this year.  But he wonít next year.

porkrindjimmy:

--- Quote from: Deep Shoat on March 19, 2019, 01:41:29 am ---Yep.

I figured this out years ago when you and I were getting competing info from major players.  Thatís why I finally stopped prognosticating. 

What I know today is that Mike is in a tight spot.  He might have enough friends to survive it this year.  But he wonít next year.

--- End quote ---

You are alright with me Shoat.

You are a hog fan. No matter how many times we have butted heads.... you are a damn Razorback and good in my book.

We have a few around here who aren't....

PRJ

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: hogfanny on March 18, 2019, 11:11:48 pm ---Yes and he set his parameters so narrow that the only option was to keep Anderson.

--- End quote ---

Very obviously you didn't read the thread.   Almost a dozen very viable candidates have been mentioned.

riccoar:

--- Quote from: porkrindjimmy on March 19, 2019, 12:38:23 am ---I might burn a couch...

Just for you

PRJ

--- End quote ---
One day, the Nutt story needs to be chronicled on HV.  I like Mike and I like Nolan, but Mike ain't ever gonna produce Nolan quality and he's got to go.  Hopefully, gracefully.  The only person in Hog history that deserves nothing but disdain is Nutt.  He was, and always will be, evil.

LZH:
When Hatfield, Nutt, and BP where her, there people could share certain stories and a lot of it turned out to be true. Everyone knows someone. Some of it was made-up, but much of sensible info came from true Hog fans close to the situation...by accident or whatever.

Itís fun soothsaying anyway. I have 6 or 7 friends (a few on here) who. hear things and gimme s call.

online-with-swine:

--- Quote from: Deep Shoat on March 19, 2019, 01:41:29 am ---

--- End quote ---

I have no sources what so ever.  However, I like to take a common sense approach to things. 

This year has been tough and Mike is feeling the heat.  And, like you said, he may survive this year but he wonít next as we are losing a big piece of the team and maybe more.  Mike knows this may be his last year and if he waits for next year to get fired he loses a lot of marketability for another job.  If I was him I would be on the phone with my agent looking for an exit today instead of getting fired tomorrow. 

Who knows, maybe the AD is giving him a chance to do just that after the NIT is over.  What do we have to lose, the people we would be interested in wouldnít be available until there NCAA run is over anyway.

I say we sit back relax and wait for it to unfold.

Smithian:

--- Quote from: ErieHog on March 19, 2019, 02:36:26 am ---Very obviously you didn't read the thread.   Almost a dozen very viable candidates have been mentioned.

--- End quote ---
Bill Self, Billy Donovan, or shut down the program. If you think otherwise, go kick rocks you Anderson lover!

cc:

--- End quote ---
I heard the same. IF there is a coaching change, maybe the search and choice will be made much smoother.  You had an interim AD which was always a recipe for the cluster that happened. 

Stu:

--- Quote from: Smithian on March 19, 2019, 08:35:14 am ---Bill Self, Billy Donovan, or shut down the program. If you think otherwise, go kick rocks you Anderson lover!

--- End quote ---
Wow.  Since the athletic dept isnít likely to fork over money in excess of what we are paying the football coach, I take it you have the means and commitment to pay said coaches over and above what the athletic dept is willing to spend?  So, for example, if the budget for new coach is $3.4M, but Donovan is willing to come here for $7M, that you, Smithian, have the means and commitment to pay Donovan the $3.6M shortfall for each year of his contract?

Smithian:

--- Quote from: Stu on March 19, 2019, 09:11:04 am ---Wow.  Since the athletic dept isnít likely to fork over money in excess of what we are paying the football coach, I take it you have the means and commitment to pay said coaches over and above what the athletic dept is willing to spend?  So, for example, if the budget for new coach is $3.4M, but Donovan is willing to come here for $7M, that you, Smithian, have the means and commitment to pay Donovan the $3.6M shortfall for each year of his contract?

--- End quote ---
My post was complete sarcasm. I believe there are economic realities and just because the athletic department may have $7 million in an account somewhere doesn't mean we should pay a coach that. A coaching transition will require multiple buyouts and other major expenses at a time when we've invested significantly into facility improvements across multiple sports. We are lucky as a program to be sound financially, but there are a lot of programs out there even in the high majors who are weary of debt crises and other financial shortfalls. Any new coach would have a risk-reward factor and we need to minimize the financial risk. A Bret Bielema priced disaster in the basketball program would be devastating.

ErieHog's thread is a very sober take on the situation. We should be proud and have high expectations, but we also need to use reason.

Stu:
My apologies for missing the sarcasm. 

I agree w your sentiments in this post.

Smithian:

--- Quote from: Stu on March 19, 2019, 09:21:47 am ---My apologies for missing the sarcasm. 

I agree w your sentiments in this post.

--- End quote ---
No problem. Message boards don't lend well to sarcasm and your response was reasoned. You're a good poster and should post more. We need more new blood who use their brains.

Hogmatic:

--- Quote from: online-with-swine on March 19, 2019, 08:19:13 am ---I have no sources what so ever.  However, I like to take a common sense approach to things. 

This year has been tough and Mike is feeling the heat.  And, like you said, he may survive this year but he wonít next as we are losing a big piece of the team and maybe more.  Mike knows this may be his last year and if he waits for next year to get fired he loses a lot of marketability for another job.  If I was him I would be on the phone with my agent looking for an exit today instead of getting fired tomorrow. 

Who knows, maybe the AD is giving him a chance to do just that after the NIT is over.  What do we have to lose, the people we would be interested in wouldnít be available until there NCAA run is over anyway.

I say we sit back relax and wait for it to unfold.

--- End quote ---

This is a well thought out post about his brand damage if he stayed next year.  We have no other choice but to sit back during this dead period.

rljjr:

--- End quote ---

You're right. And there is no doubt he/she was giving you the facts as they were at the time. Stuff changes in an instant, which is why actual reporters do their due diligence and get their ducks in a row before they announce. If they're wrong then they're no better than bloggers, and that's a dangerous place to be.

WilsonHog:

--- Quote from: Hogmatic on March 19, 2019, 09:31:39 am ---This is a well thought out post about his brand damage if he stayed next year.  We have no other choice but to sit back during this dead period.

--- End quote ---

I think a function of that will also be job availability. If Mike wishes to continue to coach, what options are out there? If you take a look at the thread stickied at the top of the board, options are limited right now. He could get several of those jobs, save UCLA and Texas A&M, but who would want them? Pullman, Washington, anyone?

Pork Twain:

--- End quote ---
Porked Tongue, Porkatarian, Okla, TBG, Wilson, Erie, Mike Irwin, Dana (I joke...I joke...), anyone named in the moderators section for this forum.  Not me, Guv, HiM or FCJ

snoblind:

--- Quote from: porkrindjimmy on March 19, 2019, 12:45:50 am ---The deal with the Boosters and the BOT here at Arkansas is they very seldom are unified. Always factions.

PRJ

--- End quote ---

This. 

When the chain of events started I was one of the first to post I specifically heard BB was going to be fired and it just a matter of time before Long was gone.  Plenty of folks here said no way Long was gone.

The group I was hearing from wanted an AD with Arkansas ties.  First, it was Scanlon's job to turn down, then the Tulsa AD.  And Gus was never mentioned.  When Yurachek was hired it was apparent to me that they weren't the ones driving the bus at that point, if ever.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View