• 10,269,553 Posts
• 407,544 Topics
• 23,310 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seth Davis on UA and Kelvin Sampson  (Read 12724 times)

kid squealer

Re: Seth Davis on UA and Kelvin Sampson
« Reply #350 on: March 23, 2019, 09:59:55 pm »

Yeah everyone is always out to get lil ol Arkansas. That's always the case. It's always the refs fault. Can't recruit because they pay players. Arkansas by far has the most delusional, cry baby fanbase in all of sports
Actually, the post (poster) you are referring to is correct.  Did you live through it or recall any of this?  Serious question and not sarcasm.

King Kong

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #351 on: March 23, 2019, 10:00:28 pm »

A cheater is a cheater. He also did some shady stuff recruiting Eric Gordon.

The only thing shady was he recruited a player that was committed to another school. Even still today that is an unspoken rule between some basketball coaches.

Clearly Sampson has long felt that was stupid.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

hogsanity

• Gold Hogvillian
  • You like my stripes, I know you do.
« Reply #352 on: March 23, 2019, 10:04:31 pm »

Yeah everyone is always out to get lil ol Arkansas. That's always the case. It's always the refs fault. Can't recruit because they pay players. Arkansas by far has the most delusional, cry baby fanbase in all of sports

I agree in general, but in the Adabayo case it was shown nothing was there, as evidenced by the NCAA allowing him to transfer here and play as a sr.

husker71

« Reply #353 on: March 23, 2019, 11:28:24 pm »

King Kong if you think that the major mistake Sampson made at Indiana was stealing Eric Gordon you may not know the whole story.  When the NCAA filed their report the supplied 14 pages of information and violations including what the President of Indiana U called 5 major violations.  Just like at Oklahoma where he and his staff made 577 illegal phone calls (that we know of) he went right back to illegal phone calls at one of the violations even though he knew they were illegal and when interviewed and hired said he knew he was wrong at Oklahoma to make those calls and would not do it at Indiana.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #354 on: March 23, 2019, 11:51:48 pm »

King Kong if you think that the major mistake Sampson made at Indiana was stealing Eric Gordon you may not know the whole story.  When the NCAA filed their report the supplied 14 pages of information and violations including what the President of Indiana U called 5 major violations.  Just like at Oklahoma where he and his staff made 577 illegal phone calls (that we know of) he went right back to illegal phone calls at one of the violations even though he knew they were illegal and when interviewed and hired said he knew he was wrong at Oklahoma to make those calls and would not do it at Indiana.

Indiana hasn't been the same since he screwed them.   They've toiled at our level, despite being a better program.   I shudder to think about what a post-Sampson Arkansas might look like.

rtr

« Reply #355 on: March 24, 2019, 12:30:44 am »

Indiana hasn't been the same since he screwed them.   They've toiled at our level, despite being a better program.   I shudder to think about what a post-Sampson Arkansas might look like.I
I think Arkansas surpassed Indiana as a program for a brief time in the 90's.  I am tired of the inferiority complex promoted by many on here.

hobhog

« Reply #356 on: March 24, 2019, 12:37:36 am »

They weren't trivial at all  He did it on a scale that was crazy That's why his schools got punished as severely as they did.

I think he's learned his lesson. Let's do it.

King Kong

« Reply #357 on: March 24, 2019, 12:48:07 am »

I’m aware of Sampson’s excessive phone calls at OU and Indiana for violations that are now not against NCAA rules.

Those were not the reasons Weber was mad about Sampson for recruiting Gordon. Which is all I was specifically responding to and the other poster implied Sampson was doing something shaddy other than phone calls. Which isn’t true

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2006-10-30-0610300094-story,amp.html

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #358 on: March 24, 2019, 02:28:34 am »

I think Arkansas surpassed Indiana as a program for a brief time in the 90's.  I am tired of the inferiority complex promoted by many on here.

When we had a title and a runner up, and they only had 5 championships?  Man.   They even were a national runner up more recently than we were.

We've never passed them.  Ever.

I'm tired of this delusional belief we're Kentucky Jr.   We're not.  We're a very good program, but Indiana is a legitimate top 10 blue blood.  And Sampson almost killed Indiana basketball.   They even got 3 years of probation despite their status.  We'd get murdered in the same situation.

Largemouthass92

• Walk-On
« Reply #359 on: March 24, 2019, 03:11:30 am »

Indiana has went to three sweet sixteens and won two conference titles after Sampson. I’d be okay with that post Sampson era.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville Executive Consulting LLC
« Reply #360 on: March 24, 2019, 03:45:36 am »

yada yada, he got fired for calls and texts, which is now not even illegal.
And btw, Day, Mayberry, and Big O all drove nice Maximas when they were
in Fayetteville. under ahem, Saint Nolan
Proof or it didnt happen lol

rtr

« Reply #361 on: March 24, 2019, 09:26:56 am »

When we had a title and a runner up, and they only had 5 championships?  Man.   They even were a national runner up more recently than we were.

We've never passed them.  Ever.

I'm tired of this delusional belief we're Kentucky Jr.   We're not.  We're a very good program, but Indiana is a legitimate top 10 blue blood.  And Sampson almost killed Indiana basketball.   They even got 3 years of probation despite their status.  We'd get murdered in the same situation.

What it means is that they have a longer history, that is different from the strength of the program.  Duke hadn't done much besides be a member of the ACC prior to Coach K.  I am not sure the term basketball "blueblood" is as well defined in this day and age. 

Want to see a strong program, look at Michigan State.  Are they a top-10 blueblood?  I will attempt to give some definition to that term:  A program that consistently dominates their conference.  Kentucky is one for sure, so are UNC and Duke.  Kansas for sure.  Indiana ceased to be that a long time ago and it started before Sampson got there.  Michigan State has taken their place.

Oliver

« Reply #362 on: March 24, 2019, 09:30:13 am »

Indiana hasn't been the same since he screwed them.   They've toiled at our level, despite being a better program.   I shudder to think about what a post-Sampson Arkansas might look like.

I do too.  I wouldn’t want to lose the exquisite status of our basketball program that we’ve done such a good job building up since we fired Nolan.   I mean I’m downright scared that if Sampson came here, we’d only make the NCAAT about 3 times if his tenure lasted a decade

Hogmatic

« Reply #363 on: March 24, 2019, 09:47:51 am »

The only thing shady was he recruited a player that was committed to another school. Even still today that is an unspoken rule between some basketball coaches.

Clearly Sampson has long felt that was stupid.

Sampson got caught calling recruits too many times.   This is what the MA lovers are tying their horse to?   AHAHAHAHHA

Paul

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #364 on: March 24, 2019, 09:58:44 am »

I do too.  I wouldn’t want to lose the exquisite status of our basketball program that we’ve done such a good job building up since we fired Nolan.   I mean I’m downright scared that if Sampson came here, we’d only make the NCAAT about 3 times if his tenure lasted a decade
Precisely
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas