• 10,269,139 Posts
• 407,532 Topics
• 23,309 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Seth Davis on UA and Kelvin Sampson  (Read 12719 times)

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
Re: Seth Davis on UA and Kelvin Sampson
« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2019, 12:27:59 pm »

Yea, hiring a guy who brought their team back to national relevance and a conference championship what a terrible hire. The guy made a mistake, he paid for it and has rebuilt his career. He is a good coach and hard recruiter. I don’t think people on here are advocating that we want to become a dirty program. They do want someone who has a winning attitude and will do what it takes to win.

Good post. Houston had been pretty much in obscurity since Guy V. Lewis retired and Sampson made them relevant again.

carolinahogger

« Reply #101 on: March 17, 2019, 12:34:10 pm »

All I see is a guy that is 62 years old. Will he have the same fire? I would give him a chance, but all we are looking at out of him is probably a max of 5 years.

1.  I would settle for 5 years of relevance from the next coach.  In fact I would be ecstatic.

2.  Krzyzewski is 72 years old.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Woo Pig Sooie, brotha!
« Reply #102 on: March 17, 2019, 12:34:25 pm »

As an aside, I second the Athletic recommendation. It’s a must for a sports fan.

PorkBilly

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #103 on: March 17, 2019, 12:41:09 pm »

Thank you Wilson for sharing.

Kelvin Sampson's age worries me. If the Hogs make a change and Sampson is the guy I assume he'd bring his son as an assistant, but I'd want the other two spots given to experienced assistants ready to put in time on the recruiting trail.

Yes. Think Tubby Smith. Winner. Experienced.  Big-time jobs. WAS a good recruiter. Total disaster at Memphis. Ended ugly in the local newspaper and call-in shows. College basketball is a dirty business. Take your chances if you want a good recruiter.

HiggiePiggy

• Hope...
« Reply #104 on: March 17, 2019, 12:41:51 pm »

1.  I would settle for 5 years of relevance from the next coach.  In fact I would be ecstatic.

2.  Krzyzewski is 72 years old.

Yes he is and he has been at Duke for almost 40 years. It is not the same. His recruiting is basically from his success at the same school for almost 40 years.

Hawg Red

« Reply #105 on: March 17, 2019, 12:47:26 pm »

I think Sampson would be an upgrade over MA (though so would just about anybody to me), however, I don't want him as when I watch Houston, they shoot an awful lot of 3s. (838! attempts to date). 36.4% Made btw
 I dunno maybe that is petty but I just don't watch to lots of 3s. I'm getting really old I guess because I think three pointers are ruining the game.

You aren’t winning if you are into the 3-point game these days. Better get on that wagon, friend.

LZH

« Reply #106 on: March 17, 2019, 12:47:36 pm »

Yes he is and he has been at Duke for almost 40 years. It is not the same. His recruiting is basically from his success at the same school for almost 40 years.

And not a single gray hair!

HogBreath

« Reply #107 on: March 17, 2019, 12:49:04 pm »

Don't remember too much about Sampson, but I'll take him over what we have now in a heartbeat.

And for all you sanctimonious superfans out there that truly believe Arkansas football and basketball programs are and always have been lily-white, you're either ostriches or idiots.

Isn't that the truth?

And isn't that the truth?

greenEGnHAWGS

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Another day in HV Paradise...
« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2019, 12:49:43 pm »

What is wrong with some of you guys? We collectively HATE the existence of certain coaches like Calipari and Pearl because he is a cheater. Then we excuse the fact that Sampson is in the SAME boat yet want him for us. So what is it? Do we hate cheaters or do we accept them?

Hawg Red

« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2019, 12:52:35 pm »

What is wrong with some of you guys? We collectively HATE the existence of certain coaches like Calipari and Pearl because he is a cheater. Then we excuse the fact that Sampson is in the SAME boat yet want him for us. So what is it? Do we hate cheaters or do we accept them?

I judge every instance of “cheating” by severity, and Sampson’s wasn’t very severe. It was more that he lied about it. To me, he’s done his time and he appears to be reformed.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #110 on: March 17, 2019, 12:55:19 pm »

I judge every instance of “cheating” by severity, and Sampson’s wasn’t very severe. It was more that he lied about it. To me, he’s done his time and he appears to be reformed.
I'm sure he's sorry

that he got caught.

greenEGnHAWGS

« Reply #111 on: March 17, 2019, 12:58:14 pm »

Sorry man. It’s hard for me to believe that a coach that has been connected to cheating at several schools is suddenly “reformed”.

It’s TOUGH to win the NCAA and these coaches legacy, pay-checks, livelihood depend on their success. I just can’t see a coach “suddenly reforming”, but instead just learning from mistakes and being better at the cheating.

Hate him or not, it seems as though CMA is doing decent in a clean program. I’m not saying he’s the answer going forward. But I do appreciate the fact that I’m not worried when an FB-freaking-I probe starts looking at men’s basketball recruiting.

jhogg

« Reply #112 on: March 17, 2019, 12:59:01 pm »

I want the Razorbacks to be a powerhouse in basketball again. It's not going to happen under the current HC

greenEGnHAWGS

« Reply #113 on: March 17, 2019, 01:00:48 pm »

I want the Razorbacks to be a powerhouse in basketball again. It's not going to happen under the current HC

Honest question...

Would you rather be in LSUs position or ours?

Smithian

« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2019, 01:02:20 pm »

If we want to go established, I'd still take a chance on Thad Matta over Kelvin Sampson. I think he is a better coach, will benefit from a recharge, and won't require a buyout.

If Razorbacks make a chance, the price for an established coach will be high.

HiggiePiggy

• Hope...
« Reply #115 on: March 17, 2019, 01:05:43 pm »

Honest question...

Don’t know yet. We will see in about 5 years from now. Because right now we have our own self ban by keeping a coach that is set in his way and won’t make any changes to better the program. 

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #116 on: March 17, 2019, 01:05:43 pm »

Geeze another one of these?  Hookers are equivalent to texting to much? 

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #117 on: March 17, 2019, 01:07:19 pm »

Sorry man. It’s hard for me to believe that a coach that has been connected to cheating at several schools is suddenly “reformed”.

It’s TOUGH to win the NCAA and these coaches legacy, pay-checks, livelihood depend on their success. I just can’t see a coach “suddenly reforming”, but instead just learning from mistakes and being better at the cheating.

Hate him or not, it seems as though CMA is doing decent in a clean program. I’m not saying he’s the answer going forward. But I do appreciate the fact that I’m not worried when an FB-freaking-I probe starts looking at men’s basketball recruiting.

Since you like history, what has Sampson done to make you sweat a fbi investigation? 

We have a lot of posters spouting off unintellignetly about Sampson. 

ShadowHawg

« Reply #118 on: March 17, 2019, 01:07:27 pm »

The president of Indiana later apologized foring Sampson citing his poor character.

Personally, I can't stand a liar.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #119 on: March 17, 2019, 01:08:10 pm »

Honest question...

This thread would make the anology of Houston or our situation.  But doesn’t fit your dumb little agenda. 

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #120 on: March 17, 2019, 01:11:15 pm »

Would Anderson have a record of 31-2 at Houston this year, if he were the coach?  If Sampson were our coach, would we be waiting for the selection show to be over to find out if we are NIT bound?  Those answers should tell you all you need to know...

As for the age thing, if Coach K wanted to come here, you'd never mention a word about his age.

That 31-2 at Houston this season is a result of a weak schedule.  Houston's Strength of Schedule is 0.377, which is 84th in the nation.

To put that into perspective, Mississippi State's Strength of Schedule is 1.159, which is 19th in the nation.

LZH

« Reply #121 on: March 17, 2019, 01:11:44 pm »

Honest question...

Honest question...

Would you rather be in Kentucky's position or ours?

WilsonHog

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: March 17, 2019, 01:13:18 pm »

“Cheating” is a relative concept. By definition, it is breaking a rule or a law. Now, if I am going to follow the rules when I leave Fayetteville this afternoon, I’ll drive 70 on my way back home. Am I going to do that? Hell, no. I’ll set my cruise on 79 and probably ease it up around 82-85 a couple of times.

Why? Because I want to get home quicker, and most everyone else is doing the same. I’ll chance the ticket.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #123 on: March 17, 2019, 01:15:29 pm »

“Cheating” is a relative concept. By definition, it is breaking a rule or a law. Now, if I am going to follow the rules when I leave Fayetteville this afternoon, I’ll drive 70 on my way back home. Am I going to do that? Hell, no. I’ll set my cruise on 79 and probably ease it up around 82-85 a couple of times.

Why? Because I want to get home quicker, and most everyone else is doing the same. I’ll chance the ticket.

Yet some on here would equate that as the same as drug or sex trafficking if convicted of a moving violation. 

East Clintwood

« Reply #124 on: March 17, 2019, 01:16:25 pm »

Well, I guess fair or not, if Sampson is the hire it is going to divide the fan base
as some people do have a problem with his history.

Any hire will have some division in the fanbase.  Just look at Morris.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #125 on: March 17, 2019, 01:18:37 pm »

Nope, more likely bottom half of the SEC for the foreseeable future.

jhogg

« Reply #126 on: March 17, 2019, 01:19:44 pm »

Its amazing how some of you on here are willing to accept mediocrity

Hawg Red

« Reply #127 on: March 17, 2019, 01:20:08 pm »

Dude, he didn’t “suddenly reform.” He was out of college coaching for like 5 years. Chose to come back to college from the NBA. Not a whiff of impropriety at Houston. You think Houston is sweating the FBI probe? He’s doing what he’s doing at Houston with pure coaching because he doesn’t have great recruits there in terms of rankings.

Kelvin Sampson did his time and has not shown any shady behavior since returning to college basketball. It’s fair to say Kelvin Sampson cheated at Oklahoma and Indiana (both infractions were actually secondary and would have brought forth no punishment from my understanding — it was that he lied). I believe John Pelphrey had to report a secondary infraction as the coach here as well. It happens when you have some many rules to follow. But Kelvin didn’t own up to it, that’s the difference, and he ended up paying for it. I don’t see a reason to keep punishing him. I hope we hire a coach of his caliber if there’s a change and I’d be okay if it came with that amount of baggage (which isn’t much comparatively speaking).

LZH

« Reply #128 on: March 17, 2019, 01:20:31 pm »

Thanks buddy.  Damn right.  Besides, just because the limp-weenie NCAA calls it 'cheating', does not mean any actual laws are being broken.

I'll be honest, does it bother me if a kid gets a car and some walking around money, and his mama gets a cushy new job?  Not naw, but hell naw.  If it puts us in the Final Four, no one gets hurt, and no laws are broken, I'm good wif' it.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #129 on: March 17, 2019, 01:21:47 pm »

Thanks buddy.  Damn right.  Besides, just because the limp-weenie NCAA calls it 'cheating', does not mean any actual laws are being broken.

I'll be honest, does it bother me if a kid gets a car and some walking around money, and his mama gets a cushy new job?  Not naw, but hell naw.  If it puts us in the Final Four, no one gets hurt, and no laws are broken, I'm good wif' it.

And remember for the morality police, the ncaa said UNc did nothing wrong in the way of athletic cheating. 

greenEGnHAWGS

« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2019, 01:23:02 pm »

This thread would make the anology of Houston or our situation.  But doesn’t fit your dumb little agenda.

Agenda? Ha ha...you’re upset at me for having a differing opinion and trying to discredit it as “an agenda”. That’s ridiculous. Sampson has been shown to break rules that he knew were NCAA violations. If it happened one time, I’d probably not be worried at him. Since it happened more than once, it shows me that he’s not that concerned about the rules. I might be a little untrusting under these circumstances to believe that he probably hasn’t done other things also.

Hawg Red

« Reply #131 on: March 17, 2019, 01:24:48 pm »

Agenda? Ha ha...you’re upset at me for having a differing opinion and trying to discredit it as “an agenda”. That’s ridiculous. Sampson has been shown to break rules that he knew were NCAA violations. If it happened one time, I’d probably not be worried at him. Since it happened more than once, it shows me that he’s not that concerned about the rules. I might be a little untrusting under these circumstances to believe that he probably hasn’t done other things also.

You don’t think a show-cause changed his thinking at all? Seriously?

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #132 on: March 17, 2019, 01:25:30 pm »

Stop being such “females”.  This is big time college basketball.  Do we want to compete or not?   Joe Kines said about SEC football they’ll slit your throat and drink your blood.  Big time college basketball recruiting is no different.  Time to get in the game or give up and curtain off the upper deck of BWA. 

greenEGnHAWGS

« Reply #133 on: March 17, 2019, 01:26:44 pm »

Dude, he didn’t “suddenly reform.” He was out of college coaching for like 5 years. Chose to come back to college from the NBA. Not a whiff of impropriety at Houston. You think Houston is sweating the FBI probe? He’s doing what he’s doing at Houston with pure coaching because he doesn’t have great recruits there in terms of rankings.

Kelvin Sampson did his time and has not shown any shady behavior since returning to college basketball. It’s fair to say Kelvin Sampson cheated at Oklahoma and Indiana (both infractions were actually secondary and would have brought forth no punishment from my understanding — it was that he lied). I believe John Pelphrey had to report a secondary infraction as the coach here as well. It happens when you have some many rules to follow. But Kelvin didn’t own up to it, that’s the difference, and he ended up paying for it. I don’t see a reason to keep punishing him. I hope we hire a coach of his caliber if there’s a change and I’d be okay if it came with that amount of baggage (which isn’t much comparatively speaking).

Fair enough. I’m not convinced any way. I’m simply on a message board talking about my thoughts. I’m so sorry that it’s triggered you due to you hatred toward our current staff. If Sampson became our next coach, I’d support him 110%...and cross my fingers that we don’t break NCAA rules.

greenEGnHAWGS

« Reply #134 on: March 17, 2019, 01:27:23 pm »

You don’t think a show-cause changed his thinking at all? Seriously?

No clue and you don’t know either.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #135 on: March 17, 2019, 01:30:53 pm »

Yes because infering what Sampson did was the same as Wade was just a difference of opinion.  Dense?

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #136 on: March 17, 2019, 01:31:29 pm »

Fair enough. I’m not convinced any way. I’m simply on a message board talking about my thoughts. I’m so sorry that it’s triggered you due to you hatred toward our current staff. If Sampson became our next coach, I’d support him 110%...and cross my fingers that we don’t break NCAA rules.

I hope we do and don’t get caught.  Same in football.  And hope the staffs have plausible deniability. 

cram224

« Reply #137 on: March 17, 2019, 01:33:32 pm »

I have no problem with any coach doing what they do as long as they don't get caught. If you ain't cheat'in you ain't winning. Sadly that's modern day college basketball.

MakingPlays

« Reply #138 on: March 17, 2019, 01:33:57 pm »

I'm all against cheaters,  when I first heard Sampson's name, I'm like nah, I can't back any cheaters I don't care how good they are.  However looking up Sampson's punishments, he got in trouble for calling recruits too much, the violations they got him on are not even considered violations right now by the NCAA. Now the big thing to me is they are saying he lied to the NCAA, although he denied it.  That's really my only red flag.  But, I listened to an interview of him being asked about the FBI investigation and all these handlers, and shoe companies, and he seemed pretty passionate that he's against it and wants the book thrown at those guys.  So that leads me to believe we wouldn't have to worry about anything from him.

Also, as far as his age and people concerned about that, the top 3 people polling for president in 2020 will all be 74 years+.  If someone can run a country in their mid-late 70's I don't think it would be unheard of for someone to be able to run a college basketball program in their mid 60's.  60 and 70 isn't as old as it use to be.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #139 on: March 17, 2019, 01:35:47 pm »

I have no problem with any coach doing what they do as long as they don't get caught. If you ain't cheat'in you ain't winning. Sadly that's modern day college basketball.

Wooden had a bag man

OU football has cheated at least since the 50s

ND cheated to get Holtz a NC

This college sports.  We’ve not been clean throughout our history.  We just didn’t take it close to the level some have.

greenEGnHAWGS

« Reply #140 on: March 17, 2019, 01:39:15 pm »

Yes because infering what Sampson did was the same as Wade was just a difference of opinion.  Dense?

It’s not the phone calls to me. It’s knowing violations and ignoring them. It’s the mentality that makes me leery of potential other things.

News flash: Just because someone says that they're leery of something, doesn’t mean they’re adamant about the topic. It IS physically possible to express concerns about a guy without getting crazy.

WilsonHog

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: March 17, 2019, 01:42:50 pm »

Do I want to buy a player with a “strong-ass” offer?

No.

Am I going to get upset if our players get a little “walking around” money every now and then? If a coach pays to fly a player home for a funeral and slips him $100 to travel on? No and no.

MakingPlays

« Reply #142 on: March 17, 2019, 01:43:27 pm »

That's dumb.  You think anybody thinks they are going to get caught?  Will Wade made sure to shut the door before he talked and he still got caught lol.

Also, FYI, most programs aren't cheating.  There's 353 D1 programs out there and it may be 10% at most of those schools that are out there cheating.  You can win without cheating.  I highly doubt Tennessee is cheating and they are doing really well.  I'll never understand people that want to cheat knowing that unless you are a blue blood there's a great chance you will get caught and your program will get set back several years.  We had a coach that was just cheating on his wife and riding motorcycles in football and that probably set the football program back 10 years, but you want to cheat in basketball and risk setting the program back?  When your complaint about CMA is he hasn't taken the program far enough?  As my father in law would say that dog don't hunt.

MakingPlays

« Reply #143 on: March 17, 2019, 01:45:06 pm »

It’s not the phone calls to me. It’s knowing violations and ignoring them. It’s the mentality that makes me leery of potential other things.

News flash: Just because someone says that they're leery of something, doesn’t mean they’re adamant about the topic. It IS physically possible to express concerns about a guy without getting crazy.

Good point.  He also did lie to the NCAA,  I'm kinda torn on the issue.  In one regard it wasn't that big of a deal what he done, but you're right the fact that he was willing to do it, makes you think has he done other stuff, but just didn't get caught?

Hog Pharm

« Reply #144 on: March 17, 2019, 01:46:00 pm »

The president of Indiana later apologized foring Sampson citing his poor character.

Personally, I can't stand a liar.

Then you can’t stand the majority of the population.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #145 on: March 17, 2019, 01:47:03 pm »

Yes. Think Tubby Smith. Winner. Experienced.  Big-time jobs. WAS a good recruiter. Total disaster at Memphis. Ended ugly in the local newspaper and call-in shows. College basketball is a dirty business. Take your chances if you want a good recruiter.

Tubby is a horrible recruiter. I live in Memphis. His issues with the local media here was his own doing. He hates dealing with all the stuff a head coach has to do.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 09:29:33 am by Inhogswetrust »

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #146 on: March 17, 2019, 01:49:19 pm »

No.

Am I going to get upset if our players get a little “walking around” money every now and then? If a coach pays to fly a player home for a funeral and slips him $100 to travel on? No and no.

Yep.

Smithian

« Reply #147 on: March 17, 2019, 02:02:27 pm »

No.

Didn't Razorback football and basketball get in a bit of trouble for this thanks to Ted Herrod?

I don't think that stuff is "okay" and hope the athletic department works to dissuade those situations, but I wouldn't apoplectic if I found out it happened again. I don't equate that to what has happened at LSU or North Carolina.

LZH

« Reply #148 on: March 17, 2019, 02:03:33 pm »

That's dumb.  You think anybody thinks they are going to get caught?  Will Wade made sure to shut the door before he talked and he still got caught lol.

Also, FYI, most programs aren't cheating.  There's 353 D1 programs out there and it may be 10% at most of those schools that are out there cheating.  You can win without cheating.  I highly doubt Tennessee is cheating and they are doing really well.  I'll never understand people that want to cheat knowing that unless you are a blue blood there's a great chance you will get caught and your program will get set back several years.  We had a coach that was just cheating on his wife and riding motorcycles in football and that probably set the football program back 10 years, but you want to cheat in basketball and risk setting the program back?  When your complaint about CMA is he hasn't taken the program far enough?  As my father in law would say that dog don't hunt.

A lot more than 10% of teams are 'cheating'.  Btw, the "teams" aren't really doing anything.  It's boosters who take care of things like that.  Everything is face to face - no phone calls, no texts, no emails, and no head coaches or assistants ever involved at all.....reckless and stupid darn like that is how you get caught.  Look at Ole Miss and LSU in football for example of what NOT to do.

I wouldn't know about basketball anymore since I haven't kept up in several years, and the shoe companies & AAU ball has changed things so much.  But I'd bet nearly every team in the SEC, Big12, Big10, ACC, and PAC12 have multiple players (or their relatives) that have received goodies in order for them to play where they are (certainly true for football).  It's just how it works.  Now, how over-the-top you wanna get is the real question.

And fwiw, Petrino did not do anything to get us in hot water regarding players.  He was just too arrogant and freekin stupid to not hire his tall, blonde, 25-year old mistress - or to have her on the back of his motorcycle while riding around a town where you are the most famous and recognizable person around.

Smithian

« Reply #149 on: March 17, 2019, 02:05:38 pm »

Exactly on the Tubby example.

I wanted Tubby Smith last search when I thought Mike Anderson was unrealistic. Seeing how fast Tubby Smith went over the hill makes me nervous about veteran coaches.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas