RB Sports Discussion > SEC Sports

Steve Alford

(1/9) > >>

RoyInSpringdale/MizzouFan:
With all the names being floated on the wish lists around here, I am surprised no one is talking about Alford. He's a good coach. He just ran into a tough situation at UCLA with super high expectations and diva issues among his players in a very distracting environment. I think he would do well here.

McKdaddy:
IDK, heís been a mixed bag. Meh at Iowa, good at NM, meh at SW MO St, good at Manchester.

Formula Hog:
Hmmm....just don't know. Very limited. Not a real head turner for me.

sigpooie:
He or beard would be a move in the right direction.

The_Iceman:
Thad Matta is another name that should at least be looked at. There are some obvious drawbacks with him though.

colavito:
Yeah, he'd be on the next flight out faster than Dana Altman after he did the obligatory hog call at the presser announcing his hiring.

--- Quote from: McKdaddy on March 17, 2019, 06:29:13 am ---IDK, heís been a mixed bag. Meh at Iowa, good at NM, meh at SW MO St, good at Manchester.

--- End quote ---
He took SMSU to the Sweet 16.

King Kong:

--- Quote from: The_Iceman on March 17, 2019, 07:21:43 am ---Thad Matta is another name that should at least be looked at. There are some obvious drawbacks with him though.

--- End quote ---

Iím all for Thad Matta

ShadowHawg:

--- Quote from: The_Iceman on March 17, 2019, 07:21:43 am ---Thad Matta is another name that should at least be looked at. There are some obvious drawbacks with him though.

--- End quote ---

Like he is a retread. If we do then that is a sign the pool of candidates suck.

King Kong:

--- Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 17, 2019, 07:44:02 am ---Like he is a retread. If we do then that is a sign the pool of candidates suck.

--- End quote ---

Are you joking? Thad Matta is 51 only had one season under 20 wins in 17 season. 13 seasons of 24 wins or greater. 4 seasons of 29+ wins. 24-13 in the tournament.

National title runner up. Another final 4 appearances 2 other ending in an elite 8 and a couple Sweet 16ís

ShadowHawg:

--- Quote from: King Kong on March 17, 2019, 08:01:28 am ---Are you joking? Thad Matta is 51 only had one season under 20 wins in 17 season. 13 seasons of 24 wins or greater. 4 seasons of 29+ wins. 24-13 in the tournament.

National title runner up. Another final 4 appearances 2 other ending in an elite 8 and a couple Sweet 16ís

--- End quote ---

Retread. He hasn't coached in years

Name a retread that had worked out after being fired from his previous job for his performance

sigpooie:
I want a guy who will tear up the refs that suck. And Thad is .795 and Alford in .800 but alford had 21 ap post to Thad's 7.

Matta is a great coach. His health issues are bothersome though. Either he or Alford bring instant credibility.

King Kong:

--- Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 17, 2019, 08:14:18 am ---Retread. He hasn't coached in years

Name a retread that had worked out after being fired from his previous job for his performance

--- End quote ---

2 seasons since and he was let go more for his heath issues.

You say he was fired for performance his last season and only season under 20 wins was 17 wins. If you think that is a bad performance you should probably change your opinion of MA who has achieved this 2 times in 4 years.

But go ahead keep try burn that candle for MA in every thread attempting to ignorantly throw mud on candidates with vague opinions to convince people we canít do better than MA.

Everyone sees through your agenda because you cannot articulate your arguments

Dwight_K_Shrute:
Alford has a lot of issues beyond W/Lís which is why he was run from his last two HM jobs. The fact that he was fired from 2 not 1 should be enough of a red flag. He is a good mid major coach but has shown thatís it not once but twice. Once you could argue it was the situation or school twice is more of a pattern.

ShadowHawg:

--- Quote from: King Kong on March 17, 2019, 08:24:49 am ---1 1/2 since and he was let go more for his heath issues.

You say he was fired for performance his last season and only season under 20 wins was 17 wins. If you think that is a bad performance you should probably change your opinion of MA who has achieved this 2 times in 4 years.

But go ahead keep try burn that candle for MA in every thread attempting to ignorantly throw mud on candidates with vague opinion to convince people we canít do better than MA.

Everyone sees through you agenda be you cannot articulate your arguments

--- End quote ---

He was let go for performance. That was the statement made in public by Ohio State.

I really do not care if MA is fired or retained  But if there is a coaching search, then I really don't want a retread like Matta in the running.

By the way, people who resort to personal stttack are the ones with problems articulating an argument.

McKdaddy:

--- Quote from: RoyInSpringdale/MizzouFan on March 17, 2019, 07:42:37 am --- He took SMSU to the Sweet 16.

--- End quote ---

I overlooked that 1 really good season, thanks.

Hoggish1:
We don't need just a 'good coach'

--- Quote from: Hoggish1 on March 17, 2019, 08:40:37 am ---We don't need just a 'good coach'

--- End quote ---
Who doesn't want a HOF coach to come to their school? But lets be realistic. Eventually people will accept that Jon Gruden is not coming to coach football too. I'm just saying Alford is an option. In a place like Fayetteville, I think  he could succeed. Sign a contract at the crossroads and you might get Pitino. That's the only NC winning coach viably attainable for Arkansas. And no, Donovan is not coming to the Hill.

King Kong:

--- Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 17, 2019, 08:31:16 am ---He was let go for performance. That was the statement made in public by Ohio State.

I really do not care if MA is fired or retained  But if there is a coaching search, then I really don't want a retread like Matta in the running.

By the way, people who resort to personal stttack are the ones with problems articulating an argument.

--- End quote ---

Personal attacks? I merely pointed out your schtick. Musselman ďflash in the panĒ reality Former NBA head coach that is setting records at Nevada.

Matta retread. Reality elite coaching record out for health issues.

Now back to Thad Matta fired him in June. That doesnít happen if it is only performance.

OSU had a joint press conference in which Matta stated his Heath greatly contributed to his only non 20 win season. When you fire someone just for performance you rarely do joint press conference.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-basketball/news/thad-matta-fired-ohio-state-buckeyes-basketball-coach-gene-smith-replacement/9ivup2r5kck41e0bgs4urzb37

You want to prove you donít care about MA. Provide a candidate you think should replace him. Add to the conversation.

Provide facts. Links. Details. Support your arguments

Atlhogfan1:
No Alford.  He is a difficult person

Kevin:
No to Alford. Just something that is off about him.

Mussellman can coach.

The_Iceman:

--- Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 17, 2019, 08:14:18 am ---Retread. He hasn't coached in years

--- End quote ---

King Kong:

--- Quote from: The_Iceman on March 17, 2019, 09:08:03 am ---

--- End quote ---

And Thad Mattaís performance at OSU greatly surpasses Barnes at Texas

ChicoHog:

--- Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 17, 2019, 08:28:32 am ---Alford has a lot of issues beyond W/Lís which is why he was run from his last two HM jobs. The fact that he was fired from 2 not 1 should be enough of a red flag. He is a good mid major coach but has shown thatís it not once but twice. Once you could argue it was the situation or school twice is more of a pattern.

--- End quote ---
I loved Steve Alford as a player but as a coach, not so much.  From what I've read he is pretty arrogant, does not relate well to players and is a mediocre recruiter.  That's not what we need. 

sigpooie:
Note Alford is tied at #65 with nolan for total wins at 509  Motta is at 99 with 439

tusked:
Rather have Buzz or Kelvin personally.

--- Quote from: tusked on March 17, 2019, 10:18:36 am ---Rather have Buzz or Kelvin personally.

--- End quote ---
Sampson is a good coach. His baggage is a little worrisome, but he would be a win for a hire.

iHeartHogs:

--- Quote from: RoyInSpringdale/MizzouFan on March 17, 2019, 06:20:05 am ---ďHe's a good coach. He just ran into a tough situation at UCLA with super high expectations and diva issuesĒ

--- End quote ---
Some posters have stated here that MA also is dealing with diva issues?

--- Quote from: iHeartHogs on March 17, 2019, 11:42:43 am ---Some posters have stated here that MA also is dealing with diva issues?

--- End quote ---
He hasn't been held hostage by the LaVar Ball show. That was a crapfest at UCLA to deal with.

GuvHog:

--- Quote from: RoyInSpringdale/MizzouFan on March 17, 2019, 12:03:57 pm ---He hasn't been held hostage by the LaVar Ball show. That was a crapfest at UCLA to deal with.

--- End quote ---

Yep, every basketball coach that has coached there has had to coach in the shadow of the late Great John Wooden. They still live off of his success.

raz1965:
Alford over Matta anytime, UCLA has to many people trying to run the program, diffucult for a coach to get players attention when there ears are turned to backseat drivers. Jist listen to Bill Walton, puke.

Atlhogfan1:
Alford wears on people quickly. Arkansas not a fit.

HiggiePiggy:

--- Quote from: tusked on March 17, 2019, 10:18:36 am ---Rather have Buzz or Kelvin personally.

--- End quote ---

I agree with Buzz mainly because of age and not hearing of any scandals behind his name.

raz1965:
The UofA with good scouting an reasonable judgment can find a great coach, with high standards an a good background , recruiting is the biggest part of winning, hiring the right coach shouldn't be hard, but the job is still occupied. 

parallaxpig:

--- Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 17, 2019, 12:15:25 pm ---Alford wears on people quickly. Arkansas not a fit.

--- End quote ---

Plus he has nasty habit of going to sweet sixteens. Who needs that.....

Atlhogfan1:

--- Quote from: parallaxpig on March 17, 2019, 03:35:19 pm ---Plus he has nasty habit of going to sweet sixteens. Who needs that.....

--- End quote ---

I get ya.  Alford could do well in a small window.  We would need the exit plan and be looking for successor rather quickly though. 

ErieHog:
Alford would wear out his welcome in 4 years.   I like the guy, and in terms of coaches I think could do relatively well compared to their past performances, I'd think him a decent shot-   but he's not nearly big enough for the demands of the job, if they're not going to change.

If you want say you drive a luxury car, you don't buy a used Lexus with 50K miles.  It makes the claim ring hollow.

leroyhawg:
No Alford, I'd rather have Houston Nutt!

Dwight_K_Shrute:

--- Quote from: leroyhawg on March 18, 2019, 07:47:59 pm ---No Alford, I'd rather have Houston Nutt!

--- End quote ---

Ditto. Itís amazing what people donít know and just go by a name. Heís be run at 2 HM jobs the most recent in the middle of the season.

hawkhawg:
No thanks.

widespreadsooie:
No way we fire Mike for Steve Alford, geez.

Paul:

--- End quote ---
Sampson...several times  or do u mean strictly losses cuz I thought Matta quit because of his health

GoHogs1091:

--- Quote from: RoyInSpringdale/MizzouFan on March 17, 2019, 06:20:05 am ---With all the names being floated on the wish lists around here, I am surprised no one is talking about Alford. He's a good coach. He just ran into a tough situation at UCLA with super high expectations and diva issues among his players in a very distracting environment. I think he would do well here.

--- End quote ---

Alford was never going to successfully replace Ben Howland at UCLA.

Howland won 233 games and had a 68.5% winning percentage at UCLA.

Alford is just not as good of a coach as Howland.

Alford would not be a good fit for our Head Coach job.  He needs to go back to the mid-major level.

jvanhorn:

--- Quote from: RoyInSpringdale/MizzouFan on March 17, 2019, 06:20:05 am ---With all the names being floated on the wish lists around here, I am surprised no one is talking about Alford. He's a good coach. He just ran into a tough situation at UCLA with super high expectations and diva issues among his players in a very distracting environment. I think he would do well here.

--- End quote ---

A white Mike Anderson.  He will win more than he loses but he will never bring home the bacon.  Had a decent team at New Mexico and a son that coul play and he milked it for all it was worth.

Razorod:

--- Quote from: jvanhorn on March 19, 2019, 05:22:37 am ---A white Mike Anderson.  He will win more than he loses but he will never bring home the bacon.  Had a decent team at New Mexico and a son that coul play and he milked it for all it was worth.

--- End quote ---
Sums it up nicely. No better, no worse than Anderson, plus not as likable.

NWA Hog:
I really like Steve Alford, but because I enjoyed watching him play for Bobby Knight at Indiana.

He was barely above .500 at Iowa (152-106) in eight seasons, with only three trips to the NCAA Tournament and nothing past the second round (sound familiar?). He got that job after taking SW Missouri State to the Sweet Sixteen in 1998.

He won big (155-52) at New Mexico - in the Mountain West Conference. Three NCAA Tournament appearances in six years, but nothing past the second round.

He did do fairly well in the post-season at UCLA (three Sweet Sixteens in five years), but not well enough to meet their standards (again, sound familiar?).

If he can get the UNLV job, he'd better take it. A return to the Mountain West probably wouldn't be a bad thing.

Athog:

--- End quote ---

Average at best! I would not call that an upgrade!

azhog10:
Alford is as bad of a recruiter as Mike Anderson is. So not sure you want to go down that route.

The image of Bobby Knight and Nolan sitting together to watch a game would be awesome though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View