RB Sports Discussion > SEC Sports

Johnny "Lam" Jones passes . . .

Pages: (1/1)

WizardofhOgZ:

It's hard enough to be losing players that were my heroes when I was a child, but it's an eye opener when players (in this case, from our then-rivals) pass that played AFTER I graduated from college.

Older folks here will remember  "Lam" well.  He got that name because he came from Lampasas Texas and his fellow Horn with the same name came from Hamlin (hence, he was "Ham" Jones), and he had speed to burn.  Here is a good article on him from veteran UT observer Kirk Bohls.

https://www.hookem.com/columns/bohls-still-cant-believe-eyes-johnny-lam-jones-glides-effortlessly-history-books/

pghawg1:

Prayers for him and his family

alohawg:

Hated those guys, but respected them too.  RIP Johnny 'Lam' Jones, a great one.

SooieGeneris:

I don't recall much about Johnny "Ham" Jones, just the name. Johnny "Lam" Jones was lightning in a bottle. The guy was one of the fastest football players I have ever seen to this day.

Derek Russell and Dominique Reed are two of the few Hogs in my life time that could compare speed wise. Jordan Jones maybe if it's true as Drew Morgan said that some of their teammates thought Jones could beat Reed in a race.

Rudy Baylor:

Ham and Lam, from Hamlin and Lampasas

Hogs-n-Roses:

The newspaper read "Hogs can't keep up with the Jones's" RIP JJ

DeltaBoy:

Rest in Peace!

rtr:

Ham, Lam, and Jam.  Darrel Royal could name them.

LZH:

I can't say for sure, but think it was probably the '79 game in LR.  In those days, us kids sat in the SEZ.  Texas was on their own 20 or so.  Donnie Little (I think) did a quick play-action, set up fast, and came off both feet throwing the ball as far as he could.  Lam Jones ran a fly pattern right past two of our DB's (don't remember who but they gave him plenty of cushion) and he still had to damn-near stop to make the catch....which if I'm not mistaken, was called back for a penalty.  An older man sitting in front of us (he and his wife were always very nice) said to her "who is THAT kid?"

Anyway, I had seen him on TV and knew he was fast, but dammit man.

RIP Lam, God Bless.

Ex-Trumpet:

Always loved to hate those that made it possible to hate...

Johnny Lam Jones was always on the forefront of those we wanted to stuff!! "Greatness" is rarely observed from the sidelines, yet Lam was one of the greats!!

elksnort:

Remember them well. I think there was a third brother who played too.

EastexHawg:

--- Quote from: rtr on March 17, 2019, 12:18:48 am ---Ham, Lam, and Jam.  Darrel Royal could name them.

--- End quote ---

Their Sports Information Director was Jones Ramsey..."Ram" Jones.

PORKULATOR:

Jets fan here.
Drafted and played for us. Richard Todd just couldn't throw it far enough for him to be really effective.
Speed to burn.
RIP lam

tbhogfan:

I ran against Johnny several times in college.  He was the most complete sprinter (60-400) I have ever seen.  He was a beautiful athlete to watch, and always had the extra gear to beat you, regardless of the distance.   Had Track and Field been a viable professional option in the day, he could have easily been one of the all-time greats.   He made the US Olympic Team in 1976 straight out of high school, and won a gold medal in the 4x100 relay.

He was a humble person, a ferocious competitor, and great human being. 

Iwastherein1969:

I remember reading Orville Henry's column one day as a teen about Johnny "Lam" Jones. Orville explained the term "cut high" as a body shape. Orville said Lam's legs were long and his butt was placed high on his back side. Thus the smooth easy stride that produced terrific speed. The only other player who fit this description that I can think of is Matt Jones. All legs and arms with a small and short torso who could also make running fast look easy. I remember the LSU announcer speaking of how slow Matt Jones looked, maybe laterally, but when he straightened out down the stretch those long legs covered quite a distance in a short period of time.    RIP, Johnny "Lampasas" Jones

Iwastherein1969:

--- Quote from: tbhogfan on March 20, 2019, 10:07:12 am ---I ran against Johnny several times in college.  He was the most complete sprinter (60-400) I have ever seen.  He was a beautiful athlete to watch, and always had the extra gear to beat you, regardless of the distance.   Had Track and Field been a viable professional option in the day, he could have easily been one of the all-time greats.   He made the US Olympic Team in 1976 straight out of high school, and won a gold medal in the 4x100 relay.

He was a humble person, a ferocious competitor, and great human being.

--- End quote ---
I read on TexAgs that he had been suffering from some ailment (they didn't say) for some 10 years. So yeah, I'd say he was a dammed tough competitor with a will to live like he showed.

Pages: (1/1)

Go to full version