• 10,330,879 Posts
• 408,953 Topics
• 23,359 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What was the greatest team of all time(1 season)?  (Read 1422 times)

diveplayon4thn20

What was the greatest team of all time(1 season)?
« on: March 15, 2019, 06:56:38 pm »

A lot of teams came to mind, but I have to give the nod to the 1995 Nebraska team.

They had went 13-0 and won the NT the year before in 1994, but the '95 team was arguably the most dominant in the modern era. Nebraska was on the greatest 5 year run of any team ever. Only a missed FG on the last play of the 1993 National Title game against Florida St. prevented them from 3 consecutive undefeated National Titles. They "fell off" in 1996, going 11-2, then went undefeated in 1997 to make it 3 NTs in 4 seasons. Tom Osbourne also retired after that year.

1995 team crushed everyone they played, and their triple option offense averaged over 50 pts per game, a superb stat even now, and just crazy good in the 90s.

They played four teams that ended up in the top 10 of the final poll, Colorado, Kansas, Kansas St., and previously undefeated Florida in the National  Title game, and crushed all four of them with ease.

Florida came into the game having the hype, and many thought their Fun N Gun offense, a variation of the Run and Shoot offense that was the forerunner of many of the spread offenses so prevalent today, would trump Nebraska's old school option attack.

Nebraska simply destroyed Florida in that game. Florida jumped up 3-0 and 10-6 early, but after that Nebraska made them look like a
Division 2 team. They stormed to a 35-10  halftime lead with their unstoppable option attack and suffocating defense, and the second half was even worse. The final score was 62-17 I believe, and it could have been worse, as classy Osborne had his qb kneel on the ball late in the game with his 3rd string offense inside the Gator 5 yard line, something cocky poorsport Steve Spurrier, coach of the Gators, would never have done.

He was infamous for continuing to throw long bombs and rubbing it in against outmanned opponents late in games when he would be ahead by 40 points or so. I was and still am a person who roots for SEC teams when they play bowl games and out of conference teams, but that game was an exception. He needed a humbling and he got it big-time against a classy coach in Osborne.

Btw, look up the game on YouTube, especially the play when Nebraska's QB Tommy Frazier, arguably the best option QB ever, broke like 7 tackles on a long TD run.

I know there are other teams that may be the the best in one year in other's opinion, but the 1995 Nebraska team is the best in my opinion.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 07:45:57 pm by diveplayon4thn20 »

psychhog

Re: What was the greatest team of all time(1 season)?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 07:39:20 pm »

Tommie Frazier and Lawrence philips were dominant in that option offense. The 2001 Miami hurricanes come to mind as well as one of the most dominant teams in my lifetime. At least as far as NFL talent, that team was loaded. As was the USC teams with Reggie bush and Matt leinart. That 2006 rose bowl was the best college game Iíve ever seen.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

psychhog

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 07:42:07 pm »

I know that usc lost that game but that team was still one of the most overall talented teams Iíve ever seen winning the Nc the year before and winningvteh AP NC the year before that.

diveplayon4thn20

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 08:43:00 pm »

Yes, that 2001 Miami team was loaded.
USC had a great run, but most of their vaunted players did not do well in the NFL. Also, they were able to dodge a great Auburn team that went undefeated and had 3 of the top ten picks in the first round, one of only two teams to ever do that. USC was fortunate to get to play ragdoll Oklahoma in the NT game. I really think Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Williams and co. would have whooped USC, but we will never know. Too bad the 4 game playoff format wasn't around then.

psychhog

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 09:44:08 pm »

Yes that auburn team was legit with Cadillac and Ronnie brown in the back field along with Jason Campbell at QB.. That definitely wouldíve been a good game if auburn couldíve played them instead of OU.

Pudgepork

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Horse Racings most unlikely champ
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 04:25:43 pm »

Polk High the year AL Bundy played

Snouty

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 04:28:36 pm »

My vote is for the Clemson Tigers of 2018.  They won 15 games and blew out an Alabama team most folks considered unbeatable.

Hollywood_HOGan45

• Hollywood could coach better than nutt.
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 04:44:41 pm »

A lot of teams came to mind, but I have to give the nod to the 1995 Nebraska team.

They had went 13-0 and won the NT the year before in 1994, but the '95 team was arguably the most dominant in the modern era. Nebraska was on the greatest 5 year run of any team ever. Only a missed FG on the last play of the 1993 National Title game against Florida St. prevented them from 3 consecutive undefeated National Titles. They "fell off" in 1996, going 11-2, then went undefeated in 1997 to make it 3 NTs in 4 seasons. Tom Osbourne also retired after that year.

1995 team crushed everyone they played, and their triple option offense averaged over 50 pts per game, a superb stat even now, and just crazy good in the 90s.

They played four teams that ended up in the top 10 of the final poll, Colorado, Kansas, Kansas St., and previously undefeated Florida in the National  Title game, and crushed all four of them with ease.

Florida came into the game having the hype, and many thought their Fun N Gun offense, a variation of the Run and Shoot offense that was the forerunner of many of the spread offenses so prevalent today, would trump Nebraska's old school option attack.

Nebraska simply destroyed Florida in that game. Florida jumped up 3-0 and 10-6 early, but after that Nebraska made them look like a
Division 2 team. They stormed to a 35-10  halftime lead with their unstoppable option attack and suffocating defense, and the second half was even worse. The final score was 62-17 I believe, and it could have been worse, as classy Osborne had his qb kneel on the ball late in the game with his 3rd string offense inside the Gator 5 yard line, something cocky poorsport Steve Spurrier, coach of the Gators, would never have done.

He was infamous for continuing to throw long bombs and rubbing it in against outmanned opponents late in games when he would be ahead by 40 points or so. I was and still am a person who roots for SEC teams when they play bowl games and out of conference teams, but that game was an exception. He needed a humbling and he got it big-time against a classy coach in Osborne.

Btw, look up the game on YouTube, especially the play when Nebraska's QB Tommy Frazier, arguably the best option QB ever, broke like 7 tackles on a long TD run.

I know there are other teams that may be the the best in one year in other's opinion, but the 1995 Nebraska team is the best in my opinion.

I totally agree.

The best team I ever laid eyes on was 1995 Nebraska.

They mauled everyone including one of the best SEC teams of all time in Florida 95.

They did this even with the Lawrence Phillips issues.

HogPharmer

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 04:48:11 pm »

Polk High the year AL Bundy played

Don't let this distract you from the fact that in 1966, Al Bundy scored four touchdowns in a single game while playing for the Polk High School Panthers in the 1966 city championship game versus Andrew Johnson High School, including the game-winning touchdown in the final seconds against his old nemesis, "Spare Tire" Dixon.

EastexHawg

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 04:51:12 pm »

The 1961 Alabama team that gave up only 25 points all year, no more than 7 in any game, and beat the Hogs 10-3 in the Sugar Bowl was pretty tough.

The Bear's first seven Bama teams never gave up more than 95 points in a season.  I know that was a different time, but...dang.

1972 USC was a superteam.  Pat Haden, Anthony Davis, Sam "The Bam" Cunningham, Lynn Swann, Charles Young, Richard Wood, a roster loaded with All-Americans and NFL draft picks.  That team destroyed a Razorback squad that was considered a national champion contender.  That was Joe Ferguson's senior year, with Mike Reppond, Dickey Morton, Danny Rhodes...I remember Street & Smith's Magazine picked us to win the national title.  I was shocked at the beatdown the Trojans put on us in the first game of the season.  Little did anyone know at that time that we had just lost to maybe the greatest team ever.

Hogwild

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 04:57:42 pm »

Yes, that 2001 Miami team was loaded.

From that team-

38 members of that team were drafted
17 went in the first round
43 trips to the Pro Bowl

liljo

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 05:30:21 pm »

I will go with the 2018 Clemson Tigers.

;D

sowmonella

• You know I'm right.
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 08:56:27 am »

Undefeated 1964 Razorbacks. Gave up an average of 5.8 pts per game. Shut out last 5 regular season opponents.  Gave up only 7 points from October 18th through January 1st.

jkstock04

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 10:00:07 am »

Just what I have personally witnessed I was most in awe of the 2005/2006 southern Cal team straight up talent wise.

After that I would probably go with Bama Nick Saban era when they played badass defense like the 2011 year. That was probably the best defensive team I've ever witnessed and will ever witness again in my lifetime.

oldhawg

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 11:41:02 am »

Hard to compare teams from different eras.  Rules have changed, demographics have changed, styles of play have changed, coaching philosophies have changed.

Having said that, I would say that the 1944 and 1945 Army Black Knights were as good as anyone in that wartime era.

Pudgepork

• Horse Racings most unlikely champ
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 04:02:57 pm »

Badass HellBellies from the Lingerie Football League

pigasaurus

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2019, 06:57:18 pm »

Been watching since 70's. 95 Nebraska by a mile.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2019, 12:09:04 am »

My vote is for the Clemson Tigers of 2018.  They won 15 games and blew out an Alabama team most folks considered unbeatable.

It is going to be a very long time before we see another team as good as 2018 Clemson.

This was 2018 Clemson.

A generational Quarterback.

A Running Back who rushed for 1,658 yards and averaged 8.1 yards per carry.

An elite Wide Receiver Corps.

An elite Offensive Left Tackle.

Four Defensive Linemen who may all be drafted in the 1st Round of the upcoming NFL Draft.

A Linebacker who had 306 tackles, 23.5 tackles for a loss, 8 sacks, and 39 Quarterback pressures during his entire Clemson career (Kendall Joseph).

A 6'4" 255 lb. Linebacker who runs like a gazelle (Tre Lamar).

A Cornerback who had 43 Offers when he was being recruited (Trayvon Mullen).

liljo

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2019, 06:47:10 am »

It is going to be a very long time before we see another team as good as 2018 Clemson.

This was 2018 Clemson.

A generational Quarterback.

A Running Back who rushed for 1,658 yards and averaged 8.1 yards per carry.

An elite Wide Receiver Corps.

An elite Offensive Left Tackle.

Four Defensive Linemen who may all be drafted in the 1st Round of the upcoming NFL Draft.

A Linebacker who had 306 tackles, 23.5 tackles for a loss, 8 sacks, and 39 Quarterback pressures during his entire Clemson career (Kendall Joseph).

A 6'4" 255 lb. Linebacker who runs like a gazelle (Tre Lamar).

A Cornerback who had 43 Offers when he was being recruited (Trayvon Mullen).
In complete agreement.

People can say what they will and bring any college team from the past they want. Vegas would have this Clemson team rightfully favored.

oldhawg

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2019, 09:47:57 am »

Clemson's stock went up after they beat Alabama for the national championship.  Seems I recall that most pollsters favored Alabama going into that game.  Was Clemson under-rated before the game?  Or did they just play the proverbial perfect game?

The "best ever" is a generational choice.  Clemson, Nebraska, Alabama, Southern Cal, perhaps others, could legitimately lay claim to that honor.

liljo

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2019, 10:43:33 am »

Clemson's stock went up after they beat Alabama for the national championship.  Seems I recall that most pollsters favored Alabama going into that game.  Was Clemson under-rated before the game?  Or did they just play the proverbial perfect game?

The "best ever" is a generational choice.  Clemson, Nebraska, Alabama, Southern Cal, perhaps others, could legitimately lay claim to that honor.
Or was Alabama over-rated?

Nah, I think that ĎBama team was one of the best ever as well. You could take that Bama team and throw them out there against any NC winner ever, and that Bama team would have been either favored to win or Be only a slight underdog.

Things have changed. Football now is year round. Training, technique, coaching, facilities, schemes, preparation, itís just better in absolutely every single phase of the game.

elksnort

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2019, 12:22:24 pm »

There are too many from which to chose. With this stated, I will put in a vote for the 1987 Miami Hurricane team.

They absolutely dismantled what was a pretty good Razorback team 51-7 or 8 in WMS.

redleg

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2019, 03:05:46 pm »

1995 Nebraska Cornhuskers - blew out everyone they played, never scored less than 35 points in a game.
1979 Alabama Crimson Tide - shutout 5 teams, 5 others scored between 3 and 9 points.
1991 Washington Huskies - great defense, beat 11 of 12 opponents by double digits.
2001 Miami Hurricanes - the team with the most overall talent on one roster.
1992 Alabama Crimson Tide - one of the best defenses ever. 
1955 Oklahoma Sooners - 2nd of 3 straight undefeated seasons, shutout 5 teams, 4 others only scored 7 points or less.
1964 Arkansas Razorbacks - Yeah, I'm biased!  ;D  But this team shutout 5 opponents, held 3 others to 7 points or less, and won AT #1 Texas.

rinds

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2019, 06:21:49 pm »

There are too many from which to chose. With this stated, I will put in a vote for the 1987 Miami Hurricane team.

They absolutely dismantled what was a pretty good Razorback team 51-7 or 8 in WMS.

Funny that was the team I was just trying to remember. They where real good Steve Walsh, Micheal Irving, Russell Maryland, Daniel Stubbs, Randy Shannon, Cleveland Gary, Bennie Blades.

Soooie21

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2019, 07:30:22 am »

86 Miami..

hogcards

• The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2019, 08:06:00 am »

Greatest defensive team I've ever seen was the 2009 Bama team.

But I believe the best overall team ever was the '72 USC team.

orvillesghost

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2019, 09:18:54 pm »

I agree with earlier posters that you cant compare eras

But when i really followed college football, I felt 1987 Miami was the best.

Arkansas had a very hyped team that year and we did have a good team in actuality and they just overwhelmed us.

Growing up I had always felt we could challenge for a national title. That one game just about destroyed my faith in that ever happening from that point on. I saw the gap between a very good team and a great team. Stuck with me all these years.

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2019, 12:35:56 am »

'72 USC very salty.

The USC team that destroyed OU even though OU got a look at the Trojan's defensive game plan.

Any of the U's teams that won NCs in the late 80s early 90s and 2001.

Nebraska '95.

I agree you can't fairly compare across different eras with different recruiting rules and rule changes on the field.

2005 USC had a player who was proven to be getting paid big buck$.

Nebraska '95 had the Peter brothers and Phillips who should have been behind bars. Not to mention, that great "strength" program, steroids, cough, cough.

You don't turn 195 lb walk on fullbacks into 295 lb AA nose guards without juicing in very many cases.

For my money if I had to say Clemson '18 is pretty darn hard to beat. They punked a 'Bama team that had blown out everyone in the SEC they played except GA.

A Saban team had not lost by 28 points or anywhere close to that since he was in Miami.

All of the above are mentioned because they all beat opponents who were worthy of being in the NC game, some of who were defending champs with long winning streaks.

Auburn would have gotten punked by USC that year IMO and didn't have as good a claim as OU that year. With 3 undefeated, untied teams, someone had to be left out in the old BCS Era.

No way could Jason Campbell have put enough points on the board to beat USC.

But USC vs OU and Clemson-Alabama III had teams proclaimed as among the best ever as foes and the Trojans and Tigers beat them easily.

When Darth Visor got UF to the big one, they were not ready for prime time and it showed and little Stevie got spanked by a much more physical team.

To go undefeated 15-0 and beat a Saban outfit like a rug is the most impressive of all.

arlhog

• Senior
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2019, 09:27:55 pm »

2001 Miami team was the best I ever saw.    Hands down.   

Sweet Feet

• Hogvillian
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2019, 02:33:59 am »

1995 Nebraska beat 4 teams that FINISHED in Top 10 by an average margin of 49-18. Never won by less than 2 Touchdowns. 400 rush yards a game. Average margin of victory was 38 points. There was NEVER a moment where Nebraska was close to getting beat.

None of the teams can say that. 2001 Miami needed a freak int on the goal line with 12 seconds to beat a 7-5 Boston College team and a late stop to beat 7-5 VT. 1972 USC only beat 1 team that finished in the Top ten. 2018 Clemson has a good argument beating ND and Alabama the way they did, but they were a bad call away from getting beat by TAMU and took a late game TD at home to beat Syracuse.

BigDrDon

« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2019, 07:05:30 am »

1972 Miami Dolphins.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas