Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday

Poll

Will the new grass hold up for game 1?

Yes
No
Fp

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: DWRRS Turf Replacement  (Read 50656 times)

jmark

• Hogvillian
  • "can i have my old job back?" "No!"
Re: DWRRS Turf Replacement
« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2019, 08:56:38 pm »

Why are we buying it bootleg out of Tennessee?

The sod business seems a little seedy... developed in OK, skip over AR...buy it in TN. Things that make you go hmmmm

don't worry twist,  we can put some Arkansas fertilizer on it

Pulled(PP)pork

« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2019, 06:17:11 am »

Hey Tennessee: I know you like  to think that your sod don't stink, but lean a little closer....

TN sod on the field at RRS? Isn't that just another curse to add to and already growing list of curses. We have 'interception king curse',  'curse of the cycle', 'ozark foot curse',  and now the 'Curse of the Tennessee Sod' - all these feet problems and we go get Volunteer Sod?

What's next, Texas Sod?

We are are just begging for problems here. One Tusk, I'm not trying to be tough on your Fam, just surprised we couldn't find any adequate sod in the great state of Arkansas. Tennessee sod is ok, but don't they need it in TN?
I suppose you only partake of texas cannabis, right?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

twistitup

« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2019, 07:31:27 am »

I suppose you only partake of texas cannabis, right?

I'm in NWA...AR cannabis would make the most sense.

It's been a while since I've seen TX cannabis, has it improved over the years?

razorbackfan86

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Woooooooo Pig Sooooooooie!!!
« Reply #103 on: April 09, 2019, 10:53:19 am »

arthurhawgerelli

« Reply #104 on: April 09, 2019, 03:18:53 pm »

Camera is up
https://app.oxblue.com/open/universityofarkansas

Yes, and if I had been paying attention to the entire thread, I would have already noticed the sod farm video over to the right on that link as well. 

Mike Irwin

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #105 on: April 09, 2019, 03:33:30 pm »

I talked to the guy in charge yesterday. He said the process of taking up the turf will begin in a few days.

Pulled(PP)pork

« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2019, 03:04:04 am »

I'm in NWA...AR cannabis would make the most sense.

It's been a while since I've seen TX cannabis, has it improved over the years?
my apologies, for some reason I thought you were in or near Dullass

twistitup

« Reply #107 on: April 10, 2019, 03:58:01 am »

my apologies, for some reason I thought you were in or near Dullass
I was born there..left after hs- still have family there

Pulled(PP)pork

« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2019, 04:22:45 am »

I was born there..left after hs- still have family there
that's where it came from.  but, my point still stands, would you not try kush from another state if it was told to be good?

twistitup

« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2019, 05:56:45 am »

that's where it came from.  but, my point still stands, would you not try kush from another state if it was told to be good?

Sure....bur It's usually marketing. Every salesman has the best- no matter if it's sod or smoke.

LFC Hog

« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2019, 08:56:51 am »

I talked to the guy in charge yesterday. He said the process of taking up the turf will begin in a few days.
Thanks for the update Mike!

Tyro3

• Senior
« Reply #111 on: April 10, 2019, 11:19:40 am »

Yes, and if I had been paying attention to the entire thread, I would have already noticed the sod farm video over to the right on that link as well.

That sod farm video looks like nothing but sand, did they cover that to dry it out?

twistitup

« Reply #112 on: April 10, 2019, 11:43:27 am »

That sod farm video looks like nothing but sand, did they cover that to dry it out?

Ask Rice, he seems to know everything...

ricepig

« Reply #113 on: April 10, 2019, 11:49:39 am »

The part against the highway, I have no idea. The rest of the field is just bare dirt where they leveled it.

Tyro3

• Senior
« Reply #114 on: April 10, 2019, 11:54:09 am »

The part against the highway, I have no idea. The rest of the field is just bare dirt where they leveled it.

It looks a lot like the field I played on some 60 years ago.

ricepig

« Reply #115 on: April 10, 2019, 12:00:38 pm »

It looks a lot like the field I played on some 60 years ago.

They grass hasn’t been planted, I suspect that once it dries out and warms up for good, they will sprig it?? I know they said it would be July or so before they install it in RRS. They will “cut” it and load it on refrigerated trucks and haul it over. I think Yurachek said it could be installed 2 weeks before the first game and be fine. I’m sure they’ll want more time than that, but they switch out turf in stadiums all the time these days, concerts, bad weather, etc.

Tyro3

• Senior
« Reply #116 on: April 10, 2019, 12:14:03 pm »

They grass hasn’t been planted, I suspect that once it dries out and warms up for good, they will sprig it?? I know they said it would be July or so before they install it in RRS. They will “cut” it and load it on refrigerated trucks and haul it over. I think Yurachek said it could be installed 2 weeks before the first game and be fine. I’m sure they’ll want more time than that, but they switch out turf in stadiums all the time these days, concerts, bad weather, etc.

Fascinating, agronomy not being my forte, I would have thought that 2 weeks was not enough to establish a root system that would handle the tremendous stress that would be exerted on the field by a throng of 300 lb plus violent young men.

ricepig

« Reply #117 on: April 10, 2019, 12:40:50 pm »

Fascinating, agronomy not being my forte, I would have thought that 2 weeks was not enough to establish a root system that would handle the tremendous stress that would be exerted on the field by a throng of 300 lb plus violent young men.

I agree too, but that’s what was said. I’m sure they would, and will prefer a longer time period.

Sivad

« Reply #118 on: April 10, 2019, 02:10:49 pm »

I talked to the guy in charge yesterday.
Lanny?

twistitup

« Reply #119 on: April 10, 2019, 02:35:32 pm »

I agree too, but that’s what was said. I’m sure they would, and will prefer a longer time period.

I call bs on the two week thing.. .

ricepig

« Reply #120 on: April 10, 2019, 02:38:09 pm »

I call bs on the two week thing.. .

Who gives a darn what you think.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #121 on: April 10, 2019, 02:46:20 pm »

USCe laid new sod/turf in their stadium after a concert and played a game a week later.

Not ideal but it does happen.

https://www.abccolumbia.com/2018/08/25/usc-lays-new-field-turf-after-concert-before-gamecocks-play/

ricepig

« Reply #122 on: April 11, 2019, 10:40:45 am »

Looks like they’ve started taking up the turf, took the Razorback up at mid-field and the south end zone before starting on the sidelines.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #123 on: April 11, 2019, 10:56:43 am »

It’s been that way for as long as I can remember. Drove right by it a few weeks ago on our way to eat at Slobg Shot Charlie's,  a restaurant in Galloway just dow; Hwy 70from there. Bobby and Kim are good people.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 04:12:54 pm by Inhogswetrust »

RAZ FAN

« Reply #124 on: April 12, 2019, 12:01:13 am »

pretty much correct. It will be on or around Aug 5th installation of sod will start.

jvanhorn

« Reply #125 on: April 12, 2019, 01:20:22 am »

You know it's the football offseason when guys are literally watching grass grow. 

AND USING ALL THOSE FANCY INITIALS  FOR RAZORBACK STADIUM.

Tyro3

• Senior
« Reply #126 on: April 12, 2019, 09:34:15 am »

looks like most of the turf has been removed.

Razorturf

« Reply #127 on: April 17, 2019, 07:54:11 pm »

M. Richardson...Come on down. Let's get to the bottom of this RRS / Turf situation. We need your help, even if the football program acts like they don't. 

The question: Why would we get RRS sod from Tennessee instead of Arkansas? Your soil science background may help solve the mystery of across the river sod production. Does Tennessee soil produce elite sod compared to Arkansas?

The grass being planted is Tahoma 31, developed at Ok State and has been tested across the south and the northern transition zone for the last 5-6 years, including in Fayetteville. Excellent quality, a beautiful grass, and the most cold-tolerant bermuda available. The reason it is coming from Tennessee is because there are no sod growers in Arkansas growing this brand new variety. Winstead Farms are excellent at their business and are working with an Australian company to grow the product on a material called the Matrix. It is a fiber material that gives the grass added stability and will allow it to be played on immediately. Would have been nice to get the grass from an Arkansas grower, but had to decide on the right variety of grass over locally-grown. Pat Berger made the final decision after lots of research.

For those that remember the fight when Bobby Petrino wanted the plastic grass, I should probably be on Hogville gloating, but just happy that our new coach wanted the Natural State to have Natural Grass. WPS...

UnknownNobody

« Reply #128 on: April 17, 2019, 07:57:32 pm »

The grass being planted is Tahoma 31, developed at Ok State and has been tested across the south and the northern transition zone for the last 5-6 years, including in Fayetteville. Excellent quality, a beautiful grass, and the most cold-tolerant bermuda available. The reason it is coming from Tennessee is because there are no sod growers in Arkansas growing this brand new variety. Winstead Farms are excellent at their business and are working with an Australian company to grow the product on a material called the Matrix. It is a fiber material that gives the grass added stability and will allow it to be played on immediately. Would have been nice to get the grass from an Arkansas grower, but had to decide on the right variety of grass over locally-grown. Pat Berger made the final decision after lots of research.

For those that remember the fight when Bobby Petrino wanted the plastic grass, I should probably be on Hogville gloating, but just happy that our new coach wanted the Natural State to have Natural Grass. WPS...

Just curious, I read somewhere (probably here) that Baum had the same grass or another hybrid that the OK State program created. Is that true?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 08:27:37 pm by UnknownNobody »

ricepig

« Reply #129 on: April 17, 2019, 08:00:36 pm »

I assume that white material going down is the Matrix? Will they cut it below the Matrix with soil under it, like their other sods?

https://twitter.com/winsteadturf/status/1112811626099556357?s=21

Razorturf

« Reply #130 on: April 17, 2019, 08:01:32 pm »

Just curious, I read somewhere (probably here) that Baum had the same grass or another hyprid that the OK State program created. Is that true?

Correct - the infield and about 20 yards beyond the skinned area has Latitude 36 and the rest of outfield has Riviera - both developed at OK State. Of course, the hogs play all their games on the overseeded ryegrass, so most fans rarely see the bermudagrass

Razorturf

« Reply #131 on: April 17, 2019, 08:05:41 pm »

I assume that white material going down is the Matrix? Will they cut it below the Matrix with soil under it, like their other sods?

https://twitter.com/winsteadturf/status/1112811626099556357?s=21

The matrix will have a layer of sand on top that the grass will grow in and then the matrix and the sod will be harvested, shipped over in refrigerated trucks and planted. The matrix is like the netting you often see on sod - but on steroids...

UnknownNobody

« Reply #132 on: April 17, 2019, 08:26:24 pm »

Correct - the infield and about 20 yards beyond the skinned area has Latitude 36 and the rest of outfield has Riviera - both developed at OK State. Of course, the hogs play all their games on the overseeded ryegrass, so most fans rarely see the bermudagrass

Thank you sir.

prattville pig

« Reply #133 on: April 17, 2019, 09:58:00 pm »

This man knows his grass!

moses_007

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Bring the Wood!
« Reply #134 on: April 17, 2019, 11:57:52 pm »

I just hope we are not returning to the muddy field days of the 60s.  I remember one Arkansas game at WMS in Little Rock that was so muddy, you couldn't tell one team from the other...

ricepig

« Reply #135 on: April 18, 2019, 06:26:08 am »

I just hope we are not returning to the muddy field days of the 60s.  I remember one Arkansas game at WMS in Little Rock that was so muddy, you couldn't tell one team from the other...

Yeah, too bad there hasn’t been improvements in either field design, drainage, or turf management in 50+ years.

Pork Twain

« Reply #136 on: April 18, 2019, 06:45:36 am »

I remember when I was a kid, we only had a wood stove to heat the house and my room was in the opposite end and we also just had an attic fan to cool it.  I hope the next time I have the HVAC guys out, they don't replace my current dual-HVAC system with that one.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #137 on: April 18, 2019, 08:28:37 am »

Looks like they’ve started taking up the turf, took the Razorback up at mid-field and the south end zone before starting on the sidelines.

It's my understanding that the sidelines will remain as they are and that they are only changing the actual playing surface to grass.

twistitup

« Reply #138 on: April 18, 2019, 08:32:18 am »

Yeah, too bad there hasn’t been improvements in either field design, drainage, or turf management in 50+ years.

It appears we haven't improved our general concessions in 50+ years...I'm assuming we diverted those funds to drainage, field design, and turf management. I thought this was a temporary arrangement; do you have any updates on when we can return much needed funding to Concessions Mgmt, Research / Design , and Menu Development?

mhsbc59

• "Cause thats how I Role"
« Reply #139 on: April 18, 2019, 08:38:38 am »

It appears we haven't improved our general concessions in 50+ years...I'm assuming we diverted those funds to drainage, field design, and turf management. I thought this was a temporary arrangement; do you have any updates on when we can return much needed funding to Concessions Mgmt, Research / Design , and Menu Development?

Twist it does no good to get better concessions if you have to wait in a line 30 minutes to get them we would be waiting an hour if we had the concessions you wanted.   the support staff s not in place to handle the concessions you want because thay cant handle what they do now.

twistitup

« Reply #140 on: April 18, 2019, 08:41:50 am »

Twist it does no good to get better concessions if you have to wait in a line 30 minutes to get them we would be waiting an hour if we had the concessions you wanted.   the support staff s not in place to handle the concessions you want because thay cant handle what they do now.

We have a [CENSORED] college next to the stadium - sounds like there is a need for a Concessions Mgmt degree program. Part of finishing the program is helping operate the concessions stands during games. This will give these wonderful college students the real world experience they need to succeed in the tough world of Concessions Mgmt. These students along with volunteers and groups wanting to fund raise can make it happen - I'm sure of it.

Quality concessions happen everywhere across the nation - why not at RRS? We can figure it out, those making the big bucks have already assured us concession will improve.

ricepig

« Reply #141 on: April 18, 2019, 08:44:57 am »

It's my understanding that the sidelines will remain as they are and that they are only changing the actual playing surface to grass.

I guess you haven’t watched any of the work from the camera, lol.

mhsbc59

• "Cause thats how I Role"
« Reply #142 on: April 18, 2019, 08:45:31 am »

We have a [CENSORED] college next to the stadium - sounds like there is a need for a Concessions Mgmt degree program. Part of finishing the program is helping operate the concessions stands during games. This will give these wonderful college students the real world experience they need to succeed in the tough world of Concessions Mgmt. These students along with volunteers and groups wanting to fund raise can make it happen - I'm sure of it.

Quality concessions happen everywhere across the nation - why not at RRS? We can figure it out, those making the big bucks have already assured us concession will improve.

It's logistics my man the upper deck concession are not big enough to handle the volume as it is.  the concourses are to small everywhere we will need a 2 billion dollar new stadium to fix the problems and then you still need to get the right people in place.

ricepig

« Reply #143 on: April 18, 2019, 08:47:39 am »

Did they have Slim’s Chicken 50 years ago?

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #144 on: April 18, 2019, 08:49:57 am »

I remember when I was a kid, we only had a wood stove to heat the house and my room was in the opposite end and we also just had an attic fan to cool it.  I hope the next time I have the HVAC guys out, they don't replace my current dual-HVAC system with that one.

you had electricity?

ricepig

« Reply #145 on: April 18, 2019, 08:51:50 am »

you had electricity?

He’s bragging....

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #146 on: April 18, 2019, 08:52:09 am »

I guess you haven’t watched any of the work from the camera, lol.

I saw one recently where the sidelines were still artificial turf while the actual playing surface is being changed to grass.

ricepig

« Reply #147 on: April 18, 2019, 08:58:03 am »

I saw one recently where the sidelines were still artificial turf while the actual playing surface is being changed to grass.

We may have the sidelines as something other than the Tahoma31, but they have taken every inch of turf up, and will be excavating dirt out, installing drainage, and regrading for this drainage. I guess you can be like the rest of us and watch the work this summer, then you’ll know what is on the sidelines. I imagine Razorturf could tell us today what will be on the sidelines, lol.

twistitup

« Reply #148 on: April 18, 2019, 09:36:08 am »

Did they have Slim’s Chicken 50 years ago?

Did they have Frito Pie? I'm betting YES.

I still haven't seen Slim Chicken....let me guess they have a couple stands closest to those donating thousands to see a struggling program.

What I am talking about is the Upper West Side / Upper East - the places that are lucky to get hot coffee and cold water. I'm not impressed by a couple chicken stands in the North End Zone

There was a time the blue collar folks had Kettle Corn available...we can't even get that now. It's silly. Do you see Arthur Blank offering 10% of the fans a full concessions menu? NO.

If you have a question about successful concessions....lean on Arthur - just ask yourself WWAD?

EconHawg

« Reply #149 on: April 18, 2019, 09:40:28 am »

Twist, the level of funding required for the drainage system is.... fluid
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 19   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas