• 10,269,140 Posts
• 407,532 Topics
• 23,309 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: DWRRS Turf Replacement  (Read 13479 times)

twistitup

Re: DWRRS Turf Replacement
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2019, 08:59:21 pm »

As a soil scientist .... this thread really got interesting.

In your opinion, does Arkansas have the same quality of sod as Tennessee ? If all other variables are equal (fertilization, variety of grass, etc...)

Isn't it better to buy sod as close as possible to the area it will be raised?

Memhogs

• Varsity
  • What time does Arkansas play?
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2019, 11:35:32 pm »

Winstead is the ones I know personally. Good people. As a matter fact if that is the field I think it is that field is only five miles away from where we are building our new house. The light poles and stop lights are a dead giveaway. Itís at the corner of Hwy 70 and Milton Wilson Blvd.

Me and my buddies could be seen ridin our jeeps through there just a few short summers ago. I miss those days.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Hogcore

« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2019, 09:57:42 am »

UT, Knoxville has the best Turf Grass Management Department in the country hands down and has for a very long time. Wes Totten, at UT Martin, is probably the most knowledgeable Turf Grass Scientist in the country. Why he is not at a major University, I do not know?

As far as the UA, M. Richardson is excellent. He has worked with the Baseball program for years, Iím sure he is working with the Football program. Itís all about preparation from a soils standpoint. pH and drainage being the most important factors.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2019, 10:45:01 am »

Me and my buddies could be seen ridin our jeeps through there just a few short summers ago. I miss those days.

Itís no longer out in the sticks the way Arlington has grown.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2019, 10:48:01 am »

UT, Knoxville has the best Turf Grass Management Department in the country hands down and has for a very long time. Wes Totten, at UT Martin, is probably the most knowledgeable Turf Grass Scientist in the country. Why he is not at a major University, I do not know?

As far as the UA, M. Richardson is excellent. He has worked with the Baseball program for years, Iím sure he is working with the Football program. Itís all about preparation from a soils standpoint. pH and drainage being the most important factors.

I googled it and on the site I saw UTK wasnt even in the top 10. In the south NCSU, GA and TAMU were listed in top 10. #1 was Ped State. Iím sure it varies by criteria and what ranking site one looks at.

ricepig

« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2019, 11:22:05 am »

I googled it and on the site I saw UTK wasnt even in the top 10. In the south NCSU, GA and TAMU were listed in top 10. #1 was Ped State. Iím sure it varies by criteria and what ranking site one looks at.

I thought Purdue ďinventedĒ PAT, prescription athletic turf, which is the grass, soil type, drainage, and everything else. I know Moo St is well thought of for their turf department, and for Davis Wade being a great surface,

twistitup

« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2019, 11:43:54 am »

M. Richardson...Come on down. Let's get to the bottom of this RRS / Turf situation. We need your help, even if the football program acts like they don't. 

The question: Why would we get RRS sod from Tennessee instead of Arkansas? Your soil science background may help solve the mystery of across the river sod production. Does Tennessee soil produce elite sod compared to Arkansas?

Hogcore

« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2019, 02:01:47 pm »

Donít quote me, but Iím pretty sure there is a bid process. My basis for UT being superior is on SEC schools research trials and publications...

My initial thought would be salinity issues. We have them all over delta, central AR & south AR, due to a variety of agronomic and even forestry cultural practices. Not knocking those industries, my moms family farms rice and Iím in forestry.

Bottom line is probably price which is just speculation without any quantitative data for justification.

Piggfoot

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hog Table top cooker
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2019, 03:29:13 pm »

Iím sure most of you know that Arkansas and particularly Fayetteville is in a transition area with  regards to cool and warm weather grasses.
I suspect the best strain of Bermuda will be chosen but I also suspect that it will be over seeded with either a perrenial rye or tall fescue to maintain a green color in the early and late fall.
Fayettevilleís average first frost is in mid-October.
Our last game is in late November.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 09:23:58 pm by Piggfoot »

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2019, 11:35:05 pm »

I thought Purdue ďinventedĒ PAT, prescription athletic turf, which is the grass, soil type, drainage, and everything else. I know Moo St is well thought of for their turf department, and for Davis Wade being a great surface,

Purdue was #7 on one of the two lists I saw. Georgia was #6 on that same list. TAMU  was on one of the list but I donít remember their rank. I also think I saw MSU on one.

little pigee

• All-American Hogvillian
  • I'll get back to you on that...
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2019, 10:31:24 am »

Hey Tennessee: I know like to think that your sod don't stink, but lean a little closer....

TN sod on the field at RRS? Isn't that just another curse to add to and already growing list of curses. We have 'interception king curse',  'curse of the cycle', 'ozark foot curse',  and now the 'Curse of the Tennessee Sod' - all these feet problems and we go get Volunteer Sod?

What's next, Texas Sod?

We are are just begging for problems here. One Tusk, I'm not trying to be tough on your Fam, just surprised we couldn't find any adequate sod in the great state of Arkansas. Tennessee sod is ok, but don't they need it in TN?
We can buy from them, but we should slap a nice tariff on them.

BDSCT51

« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2019, 10:43:50 am »

Amazing how this has turned into another "GSD" thread. You know, "Great Sod Debate".

Holy crap do we need a good football team! And basketball too! Surely that would prevent the GSD from happening.

ricepig

« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2019, 11:15:36 am »

Amazing how this has turned into another "GSD" thread. You know, "Great Sod Debate".

Holy crap do we need a good football team! And basketball too! Surely that would prevent the GSD from happening.

Really, itís about all we have to discuss that involves football in any shape or form. After the spring game, we will have countless threads on how good the defense/offense is, itís a spring ritual.

sowmonella

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • You know I'm right.
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2019, 11:30:48 am »

There is absolutely no reason we should not be in the Top 25 in Turf every year. We should compete for a conference championship in Sod every 3-4 seasons.

ricepig

« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2019, 11:34:53 am »

There is absolutely no reason we should not be in the Top 25 in Turf every year. We should compete for a conference championship in Sod every 3-4 seasons.

Weíre so far behind our conference brethren, I think it will take 8 years to establish our program, unless we are willing to pay big time for a staff as big as Bamaís.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2019, 12:23:50 pm »

Apperently they have trouble recruiting in state sodders.

twistitup

« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2019, 02:21:30 pm »

Never settle for another states sod... like going after another man's wife- it rarely ends well

Hogcore

« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2019, 05:02:52 pm »

Well, I canít believe no one has started a thread about the gigantic cluster f@%k Razorback Road, Maple St. and Stadium Dr. are going to be going into the 2019 football season. They really expect to get all of that done in 3 months?

HogPharmer

« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2019, 05:05:30 pm »

Clearly overlooked by Rivals and 247Sports during his recruitment phase.

ricepig

« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2019, 05:13:52 pm »

Well, I canít believe no one has started a thread about the gigantic cluster f@%k Razorback Road, Maple St. and Stadium Dr. are going to be going into the 2019 football season. They really expect to get all of that done in 3 months?

What are they doing? I know I read Stadium was closed for this week, I assume you mean the ďbikeĒ lane on Maple?

Hogcore

« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2019, 05:24:46 pm »

The final phase of four laning Razorback Road to Garland Ave. and the two new intersection configurations. Construction is set to start immediatly following the semesters end. All the details are listed on the City of Fayetteville website.

ricepig

« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2019, 05:47:13 pm »

The final phase of four laning Razorback Road to Garland Ave. and the two new intersection configurations. Construction is set to start immediatly following the semesters end. All the details are listed on the City of Fayetteville website.

They are 4 laning Maple from Razorback Rd to Garland.

twistitup

« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2019, 05:56:43 pm »

It's a perfect time for concessions to step up their game....while everyone is focused on road construction, feet, and Tennessee Sod the concessions dept is planning the best bone in ribeye west of the Mississippi.

Of course the beef comes from AR -

Keep the fork, it's got a handle

The Ozark Caveman will run you 24.99...worth every penny

twistitup

« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2019, 09:55:57 pm »

I didn't mean to derail...my apologies.

make it a Surf & Turf

we'll add some gulf skrimps to that steak

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2019, 10:41:40 pm »

I didn't mean to derail...my apologies.

make it a Surf & Turf

we'll add some gulf skrimps to that steak

In the spirit of the thread maybe it should be Cod and Sod...........

Hogcore

« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2019, 07:17:14 am »

They are 4 laning Maple from Razorback Rd to Garland.

What about Razorback? I thought the City took over maintenance. I guess that portion would be finished in the following years?

twistitup

« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2019, 07:24:22 am »

In the spirit of the thread maybe it should be Cod and Sod...........

Good call

...you looking for a menu development position?

ricepig

« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2019, 08:23:05 am »

What about Razorback? I thought the City took over maintenance. I guess that portion would be finished in the following years?

They are laying new asphalt from Leroy Pond to Maple, and yes, 112 will be a city street after the work is finished. Thereís not enough room for 4 lanes by the stadium, without taking a lot of land.

EconHawg

« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2019, 11:42:17 am »

I know if you leave Fayetteville heading west on 16, then turn NW on Robinson Rd. right after crossing the Illinois River, you'll drive right past Razorback Sod and Turf, which sits right along the river. About 20 minutes from the stadium.

I had a float trip gone-wrong once and had to climb up the bank and walk across their sod field barefoot to get back to the truck. I can personally attest to the softness of their grass, and yes Twist, it was very good for my feet.

mhsbc59

• "Cause thats how I Role"
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2019, 12:08:31 pm »

We couldn't find AR sod?

Come on Twist you got to know we know our grass in Memphis man

twistitup

« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2019, 12:34:16 pm »

Come on Twist you got to know we know our grass in Memphis man

Obviously some good grass..I heard we are purchasing it from:

Hard Knock Sod Farms, Memphis TN

Tough sod grown by tough people. ... living in Memphis and slingin' sod is not for the weak.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2019, 02:38:54 pm »

Good call

...you looking for a menu development position?

Thatís ironic since in my hospitality career I had to do just that a couple of times.

LFC Hog

« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2019, 02:51:38 pm »

Getting back on topic ;D, just found out that the new turf is going to be Tahoma 31 Bermudagrass.  It was developed by Oklahoma State University and is "one of the most winter-hardy hybrid bermudagrasses on the market today".

ricepig

« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2019, 03:03:33 pm »

Getting back on topic ;D, just found out that the new turf is going to be Tahoma 31 Bermudagrass.  It was developed by Oklahoma State University and is "one of the most winter-hardy hybrid bermudagrasses on the market today".

https://twitter.com/tahoma31bermuda/status/1098309442238595073?s=21

twistitup

« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2019, 03:24:13 pm »

Why are we buying it bootleg out of Tennessee?

The sod business seems a little seedy... developed in OK, skip over AR...buy it in TN. Things that make you go hmmmm

riccoar

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Serving Hogville since 11-08-03
« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2019, 10:49:42 am »

Have they already started removing the artificial turf?

ricepig

« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2019, 10:52:31 am »

Have they already started removing the artificial turf?

Be a little hard to play the spring game on it if they have, lol. Nope, suppose to start after the game.

twistitup

« Reply #87 on: March 20, 2019, 05:07:32 pm »

Be a little hard to play the spring game on it if they have, lol.

Talk about feet problems....

LFC Hog

« Reply #88 on: April 07, 2019, 08:53:48 pm »

Well, the Red-White Game and spring practice is over, when does the turf replacement begin?

mhsbc59

• "Cause thats how I Role"
« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2019, 07:56:44 am »

Well, the Red-White Game and spring practice is over, when does the turf replacement begin?

its already complete

Big Daddy

« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2019, 11:55:34 am »

Sod farm is flooded.

arthurhawgerelli

« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2019, 12:59:40 pm »

They have one more practice today.  I'm not sure that they will use the stadium.  This practice is used to teach the players what they want them to work on during the summer period when the coaches cannot be present.  They'll get drills to do, and leaders will be given duties for specific player groups. 

Like I said, this could probably take place on the practice fields. 

Seebs

« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2019, 01:24:52 pm »

Fescue 

twistitup

« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2019, 01:27:29 pm »

Sod farm is flooded.

TN sod farms flood...are the AR sod farms flooded too?

ricepig

« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2019, 01:28:23 pm »

TN sod farms flood...are the AR sod farms flooded too?

Yes, under water....

porkbellys

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2019, 01:31:43 pm »

steak and crawdads to keep it all in state!

twistitup

« Reply #96 on: April 08, 2019, 01:32:23 pm »

Yes, under water....

You sure about that?

ricepig

« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2019, 01:33:41 pm »

arthurhawgerelli

« Reply #98 on: April 08, 2019, 02:13:47 pm »

phadedhawg

« Reply #99 on: April 08, 2019, 03:46:29 pm »

Been seeing this thread on here for weeks thinking there was zero reason to click but wow...I think I learned a lot.  Or better said, learned how little I know about grass.  Interesting stuffs. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas