RB Sports Discussion > SEC Sports

Salaries of all SEC basketball coaches

Pages: (1/1)

JHicks3636:

Posted merely for your information. The attached commentary to each coach is interesting. Appears we get off relatively cheaply.
https://www.al.com/expo/sports/g66l-2019/03/1b1f1b227c6937/ranking-sec-basketball-coaches-by-salary.html

Atlhogfan1:

Saw this earlier today and figured it would get discussed.  Illustrates how the SEC has at least tried to step it up in basketball. 

Paid 9th.  Finished 9th.  ROI I guess.

26.2Hog:

Interesting list.

I remember when MA was hired, the Hogs made him the 8th highest paid coach in the country.

hobhog:

Almost getting our money's worth. Still little overpaid but close.

HiggiePiggy:

--- Quote from: hobhog on March 12, 2019, 06:17:25 pm ---Almost getting our money's worth. Still little overpaid but close.

--- End quote ---

Avery is way overpaid so far. 

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: 26.2Hog on March 12, 2019, 04:30:10 pm ---Interesting list.

I remember when MA was hired, the Hogs made him the 8th highest paid coach in the country.

--- End quote ---

It didn't even last out that week.   Within a month, he was tied for 10th.

HogBreath:

--- Quote from: ErieHog on March 12, 2019, 09:17:16 pm ---It didn't even last out that week.   Within a month, he was tied for 10th.

--- End quote ---
From 8th to 10th...whoa...big drop.

The_Iceman:

Mediocre Mike:  paid like a mediocre SEC coach. Performs like a mediocre SEC coach.

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: HogBreath on March 12, 2019, 09:19:33 pm ---From 8th to 10th...whoa...big drop.

--- End quote ---

It shows just how hollow 'we overpay' is;  heck, we even renewed him at a flat rate, meaning our salary structure was becoming even less competitive as time went on-- but the Fire Mike brigade won't hear of it.

HogBreath:

--- Quote from: ErieHog on March 12, 2019, 09:27:53 pm ---It shows just how hollow 'we overpay' is;  heck, we even renewed him at a flat rate, meaning our salary structure was becoming even less competitive as time went on-- but the Fire Mike brigade won't hear of it.

--- End quote ---
Is a week longer than a month?

GoHogs1091:

MSU is getting a bargain with Howland.

He is a better coach than the rest. 

Doubtful you will ever see Howland lose in the 1st round of a NIT to a Robert Morris like Calipari did.

kid squealer:

--- Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 13, 2019, 08:37:56 pm ---MSU is getting a bargain with Howland.

He is a better coach than the rest. 

Doubtful you will ever see Howland lose in the 1st round of a NIT to a Robert Morris like Calipari did.

--- End quote ---
lolololololol

(notOM)Rebel123:

--- Quote from: The_Iceman on March 12, 2019, 09:23:54 pm ---Mediocre Mike:  paid like a mediocre SEC coach. Performs like a mediocre SEC coach.

--- End quote ---

Yep. He is what he is. Many are satisfied with the status quo. Some of us...well, we just want more.

26.2Hog:

--- Quote from: ErieHog on March 12, 2019, 09:27:53 pm ---It shows just how hollow 'we overpay' is;  heck, we even renewed him at a flat rate, meaning our salary structure was becoming even less competitive as time went on-- but the Fire Mike brigade won't hear of it.

--- End quote ---

Yep.  Just pay MA more and he will deliver more.

Good grief.

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: 26.2Hog on March 13, 2019, 08:58:55 pm ---Yep.  Just pay MA more and he will deliver more.

Good grief.

--- End quote ---

It isn't about paying him more;  its about plausible replacements, and how relatively non-competitive our job is in an area where we'd have to pay an absolute premium to attract a candidate at this point.

(notOM)Rebel123:

--- Quote from: ErieHog on March 13, 2019, 09:30:14 pm ---
It isn't about paying him more;  its about plausible replacements, and how relatively non-competitive our job is in an area where we'd have to pay an absolute premium to attract a candidate at this point.

--- End quote ---
So you truly think the UofA canít attract someone better? You are seriously underselling our job. What a weak-arse reason to keep someone who is under achieving. My gosh some of you are so afraid of striving for success itís pathetic.

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 13, 2019, 09:32:49 pm ---So you truly think the UofA canít attract someone better? You are seriously underselling our job. What a weak-arse reason to keep someone who is under achieving. My gosh some of you are so afraid of striving for success itís pathetic.

--- End quote ---

Paying at that level, with the demands of the people who want Anderson gone?   Absolutely not.

It has nothing to do with fear.  It has everything to do with an honest look at where we are as a program, and how badly damaged the brand was.      When someone walks away from a better payday to go back to Creighton,  you'd think it'd sober people up.    Never even phased our fan base.     

(notOM)Rebel123:

--- Quote from: ErieHog on March 13, 2019, 09:45:30 pm ---
Paying at that level, with the demands of the people who want Anderson gone?   Absolutely not.

It has nothing to do with fear.  It has everything to do with an honest look at where we are as a program, and how badly damaged the brand was.      When someone walks away from a better payday to go back to Creighton,  you'd think it'd sober people up.    Never even phased our fan base.     

--- End quote ---

How long will you continue to compare today with what happened in 2007?
Itís beyond apple to oranges. The next coach wonít be having dinner with John White.

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 13, 2019, 09:47:18 pm ---How long will you continue to compare today with what happened in 2013?
Itís beyond apple to oranges.

--- End quote ---

We're in a lot better place, sure.   But we aren't where people believe we are.   Remembering 2013 is far, far, far, far more relevant than remembering 1995.     

(notOM)Rebel123:

--- Quote from: ErieHog on March 13, 2019, 09:49:23 pm ---We're in a lot better place, sure.   But we aren't where people believe we are.   Remembering 2013 is far, far, far, far more relevant than remembering 1995.     

--- End quote ---

You get what you settle for....

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 13, 2019, 09:50:32 pm ---You get what you settle for....

--- End quote ---

The first step on the road for program recovery, and a fan base recovery, is admitting they have a problem. 

Sobriety would do wonders for our basketball future.    Unfortunately, it requires honesty with ourselves and our immediate prospects.

You want to win championships again?   The only shortcuts are the dirty way-- and we're seeing the consequences of those at LSU right now.

(notOM)Rebel123:

--- Quote from: ErieHog on March 13, 2019, 09:52:09 pm ---The first step on the road for program recovery, and a fan base recovery, is admitting they have a problem. 

Sobriety would do wonders for our basketball future.    Unfortunately, it requires honesty with ourselves and our immediate prospects.

You want to win championships again?   The only shortcuts are the dirty way-- and we're seeing the consequences of those at LSU right now.

--- End quote ---

So 8 years in...nothing beyond the round of 32 is acceptable?
Again...enjoy what you have settled for.

ErieHog:

--- Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 13, 2019, 09:53:39 pm ---So 8 years in...nothing beyond the round of 32 is acceptable?

--- End quote ---

Given where we were?  Its a little disappointing.    Its not world-breaking or job firing, though.  Especially when there's some hope for the future, and you can see the nucleus of a team that has the ability to get beyond the round of 32.

Progress is slow and painful, uneven, and never guaranteed. 

(notOM)Rebel123:

--- Quote from: ErieHog on March 13, 2019, 09:57:32 pm ---Given where we were?  Its a little disappointing.    Its not world-breaking or job firing, though.  Especially when there's some hope for the future, and you can see the nucleus of a team that has the ability to get beyond the round of 32.

Progress is slow and painful, uneven, and never guaranteed. 

--- End quote ---

Okay..see you at the 2050 Final Four.

DOGALUM:

I had no clue Calipari was making over $9 million per year.  Blows my mind.

(notOM)Rebel123:

--- Quote from: DOGALUM on March 13, 2019, 09:59:33 pm ---I had no clue Calipari was making over $9 million per year.  Blows my mind.

--- End quote ---
Thatís some serious cash...for sure. But their standard is excellence in basketball above all else. Heck, we have people who are happy with just a winning record.

1highhog:

--- Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 13, 2019, 09:53:39 pm ---So 8 years in...nothing beyond the round of 32 is acceptable?

--- End quote ---

There's no need to argue with people that are happy with our current situation, they think that Arkansas is doing great being one of the top 60-70 ranked team's and that we should be thankful we have such a coach like Mike Anderson.  I like Mike the man, but not as a coach, he's and average coach and I know we can pay to get a good x's and o's coach here, something Mike is not, and also a great recruiter, also something Mike is not.  If we were hiring just a nice, honest, good natured guy, then we already have the #1 Coach in America. 

(notOM)Rebel123:

--- Quote from: 1highhog on March 13, 2019, 10:12:18 pm ---There's no need to argue with people that are happy with our current situation, they think that Arkansas is doing great being one of the top 60-70 ranked team's and that we should be thankful we have such a coach like Mike Anderson.  I like Mike the man, but not as a coach, he's and average coach and I know we can pay to get a good x's and o's coach here, something Mike is not, and also a great recruiter, also something Mike is not.  If we were hiring just a nice, honest, good natured guy, then we already have the #1 Coach in America. 

--- End quote ---

Yep. I agree. Good post.

Sivad:

--- Quote from: 26.2Hog on March 12, 2019, 04:30:10 pm ---I remember when MA was hired, the Hogs made him the 8th highest paid coach in the country.

--- End quote ---
Nostalgia is expensive.

widespreadsooie:

--- Quote from: DOGALUM on March 13, 2019, 09:59:33 pm ---I had no clue Calipari was making over $9 million per year.  Blows my mind.

--- End quote ---

Me either, that's a bit nuts. I don't think Saban makes that but not sure.

Supply and demand at its finest excluding Cal. Cal is beating supply and demand.

ShadowHawg:

--- Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 12, 2019, 04:25:49 pm ---Saw this earlier today and figured it would get discussed.  Illustrates how the SEC has at least tried to step it up in basketball. 

--- End quote ---

More proof that the commitment to this program getting and staying near the top hasn't been in place since the late 90's.

This never happens at big time programs.

ShadowHawg:

--- Quote from: ErieHog on March 13, 2019, 09:52:09 pm ---The first step on the road for program recovery, and a fan base recovery, is admitting they have a problem. 

--- End quote ---

There is so much truth here it isn't funny.

This athletic department committed to winning in basketball when it hired Sutton in every way. They upgraded facilities in preparation for winning, not in reaction to it.

I imagine Eddie was paid pretty well ahead of it also.

In the last 20+ years, the Athletic department and fanbase let this program fall way behind the top half of the country and the top of the SEC.

In here, "fans" whine that they won't buy tickets until the team wins BIG! Not a big time attitude.

By far the last program in the conference and P5 school in any state bordering Arkansas  to build a practice facility. Not the stuff of big time programs.

Now the coach's salary is 9th in the SEC.

Just not seeing the desire to commit to being big time in basketball anymore. It's been going on a lot longer than MA and doesn't look to be changing.

MountieDawg:

Erie is the type of guy that believes ask the ugly girl to the prom, its less likely she gets a better offer and less likely she says no.  Follow the path of least resistance.

Formula Hog:

Look what Mark Few at Gonzaga(who should be our coach) is getting paid.

Make the change, and offer him whatever you have to. Even if it means paying him the money Cal is getting.

When is this university ever gonna commit and get serious about winning?

Hogeyeblind:

--- Quote from: JHicks3636 on March 12, 2019, 04:18:24 pm ---Posted merely for your information. The attached commentary to each coach is interesting. Appears we get off relatively cheaply.
https://www.al.com/expo/sports/g66l-2019/03/1b1f1b227c6937/ranking-sec-basketball-coaches-by-salary.html

--- End quote ---

Salary befitting the #9 seed in the SEC tourney

hawg66:

GoDogs, the Bulldogs obviously
Underperformed in the regular season this year with the talent he has. You claim MSU is top 4 in the conference in talent with a great coach. How do you explain the 6th place finish?

The_Iceman:

--- Quote from: Formula Hog on March 14, 2019, 08:02:37 am ---Look what Mark Few at Gonzaga(who should be our coach) is getting paid.

Make the change, and offer him whatever you have to. Even if it means paying him the money Cal is getting.

When is this university ever gonna commit and get serious about winning?

--- End quote ---

Why is the hell would Mark Few leave Gonzaga?

He is in the tournament every year. He wins his conference 19 of the last 20 years. He has a career 82% winning percentage and 90% in conference. He currently has four 4-stars committed.

bighog2255:

--- Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on March 13, 2019, 10:05:30 pm ---Thatís some serious cash...for sure. But their standard is excellence in basketball above all else. Heck, we have people who are happy with just a winning record.

--- End quote ---

The fact that our coach has never had a losing record is celebrated in the media guide. Pathetic.

Inhogswetrust:

--- Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 12, 2019, 04:25:49 pm ---Saw this earlier today and figured it would get discussed.  Illustrates how the SEC has at least tried to step it up in basketball. 

--- End quote ---

Everyone has at least tried to step up but us.

TushCrush:

I would be interested in seeing a list of the player's salaries ...

Inhogswetrust:

--- End quote ---

The fan base recovery is completely contingent on the school doing what they need to do to recover the program.

Inhogswetrust:

--- Quote from: TushCrush on March 14, 2019, 09:41:01 am ---I would be interested in seeing a list of the player's salaries ...

--- End quote ---

All you have to do for that is google ďKentucky basketballĒ. There might be a footnote for LSU and Old barn.

Pork Twain:

Get what you pay for?

HogPharmer:

--- Quote from: widespreadsooie on March 13, 2019, 10:33:09 pm ---Me either, that's a bit nuts. I don't think Saban makes that but not sure.

Supply and demand at its finest excluding Cal. Cal is beating supply and demand.

--- End quote ---

There's less players on a basketball roster than on a football roster... So there's fewer people (players) on the payroll, which leaves more money for the coach.

HognitiveDissonance:

--- Quote from: TushCrush on March 14, 2019, 09:41:01 am ---I would be interested in seeing a list of the player's salaries ...

--- End quote ---
Yes, can we see LSU's payroll?

After all, they had "strong-a**" offers, according to Will Wade's wiretap...

HognitiveDissonance:

--- Quote from: ShadowHawg on March 14, 2019, 01:26:23 am ---There is so much truth here it isn't funny.

This athletic department committed to winning in basketball when it hired Sutton in every way. They upgraded facilities in preparation for winning, not in reaction to it.

I imagine Eddie was paid pretty well ahead of it also.

In the last 20+ years, the Athletic department and fanbase let this program fall way behind the top half of the country and the top of the SEC.

In here, "fans" whine that they won't buy tickets until the team wins BIG! Not a big time attitude.

By far the last program in the conference and P5 school in any state bordering Arkansas  to build a practice facility. Not the stuff of big time programs.

Now the coach's salary is 9th in the SEC.

Just not seeing the desire to commit to being big time in basketball anymore. It's been going on a lot longer than MA and doesn't look to be changing.

--- End quote ---
When MA was hired, I believe he *was* on some Top 20 coaching salary lists. In the country, not just the SEC.
He's done ok but not really enough to justify continually bumping up his salary. Other schools have made changes in the meantime which means MA's salary has fallen behind.

So one could interpret your statements as saying the only way to get competitive again is to make a coaching change and pay somebody the current market rate for a good candidate.

But I don't think that's what you intended to say.

hawg66:

--- End quote ---
+1

Pages: (1/1)

Go to full version