• 10,269,503 Posts
• 407,543 Topics
• 23,310 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Surprised but not panicking...  (Read 4565 times)

HogsOfAnarchy

Surprised but not panicking...
« on: March 12, 2019, 02:51:01 pm »

A little surprised at the lack of excitement or big news after this big recruiting weekend Arkansas just had. Guess I had my hopes up for more news. No reason to panick. I do feel like they gained good ground on a lot of recruits. Didnít hurt their chances with any anyway.

RandomPigInLousiana

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Surprised but not panicking...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 02:58:34 pm »

I was thinking the same thing.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

ricepig

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 03:00:46 pm »

Last year they got one commit, who left us for Memphis, but 11 guys who came ended up signing with us, patience......

010HogFan

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 03:01:22 pm »

It's still really early. Not a lot of commits to anyone right now. I'd be shocked if we blew away many recruits at this stage, that's why the Capers commit was so amazing.

Next1_04

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 03:01:42 pm »

Guess I had my hopes up

This was your first mistake

TXHog30

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 03:05:58 pm »

I think that 2020 recruiting in general will be an uphill battle until we show some progress on the field. Will be much easier to sell the program and vision once that happens. It's my guess that some recruits will hold out until they feel confident what they are stepping into.

Tough for the coaches, chicken or the egg problem.

But basically CCM had one shot to recruit a fantastic class and get a pass for the on the field results, and he did just that in his first year. Here's to to hoping that class contributes and gets the ball rolling.

parallaxpig

• Hogvillian
  • Man that ball got outta here in a hurry.
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 03:08:36 pm »

Give it a month.....

WizardofhOgZ

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 03:17:14 pm »

Last year they got one commit, who left us for Memphis, but 11 guys who came ended up signing with us, patience......

Yeah, I posted about this very thing last week.  There are always the "chicken littles" who get worried when we don't get 8 public commits within 2 days of a big recruiting weekend like this.  As you noted, we had spectacular success (ultimately) from the same weekend last year, and I suspect when all is said and done we will from this one as well. 

Remember, it's who signs from this weekend that counts - regardless of when or if they commit before then.  Based on last year and the positive feedback we are consistently getting from the kids that visit - there's no reason to expect we won't all be very happy come signing day.

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 03:22:40 pm »

I think that 2020 recruiting in general will be an uphill battle until we show some progress on the field. Will be much easier to sell the program and vision once that happens. It's my guess that some recruits will hold out until they feel confident what they are stepping into.

But basically CCM had one shot to recruit a fantastic class and get a pass for the on the field results, and he did just that in his first year. Here's to to hoping that class contributes and gets the ball rolling.

I don't even think the on field results matter much with this staff. They are relationship based, not results based. The results help, but I think they'll be fine even if they just show a bit of improvement. We are going to get better just by having better talent alone.

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 03:27:26 pm »

This is the 2nd week of March, I'm not in the least bit worried about recruiting right now.  Give these kids some time and we will start seeing the commitments come in, but I think some might want to see how the season is going to start playing out, if it's a disaster like last season, it could really hamper the 2020 recruiting.

Gonzo

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 03:29:13 pm »

I agree. Last year they had the benefit of having a mostly clean slate for on field performance plus the opportunity to sell, sell, sell early playing time. Significant improvement on the field and a better record (bowl could be huge imo) would still be a plus, maybe a bigger plus than an unwritten page. However now they have started reshaping the roster with a class of their own and eliminating some of the baggage, for lack of a better term, no disrespect to those who chose to move on, thus the early playing time won't be quite as sellable. If those things at least balance out, I think the effort and enthusiasm is there for another solid class, which would hpefully start a somewhat self-fueling momentum.

Go Hogs!

jgphillips3

• Where are they now the little people of Stonehenge
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 03:35:22 pm »

Guys with lots of offers are going to take some time to think about it.  I expect weíll see anywhere from 2 to 5 more over the next few weeks but it may be like last year where we just start having a swarm at a particular time as guys choose schools and dominos fall.

TXHog30

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 03:37:39 pm »

I don't even think the on field results matter much with this staff. They are relationship based, not results based. The results help, but I think they'll be fine even if they just show a bit of improvement. We are going to get better just by having better talent alone.

Not that it will happen, but are you telling me that if we go 2-10 again we pull another 14 or however many 4 stars just through relationships? Nope.

They've done a fantastic job, but kids aren't stupid. If the staff can't show they are putting it together where it matters, it won't matter how much they feel "at home" or "family", they want to win too, especially if it's SEC caliber kids we are after.

That being said, CCM has switched the QB room entirely, and has impact players in now who can make a difference. So I expect good things.

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 03:38:36 pm »

Not that it will happen, but are you telling me that if we go 2-10 again we pull another 14 or however many 4 stars just through relationships? Nope.

They've done a fantastic job, but kids aren't stupid. If the staff can't show they are putting it together where it matters, it won't matter how much they feel "at home" or "family", they want to win too, especially if it's SEC caliber kids we are after.

That being said, CCM has switched the QB room entirely, and has impact players in now who can make a difference. So I expect good things.

2-10 again would be bad. anything more would probably be ok. It's going to take some time.

jhogg

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 03:44:55 pm »

give it time, I remember going into last summer people where panicking because we only had a few recruits committed to us, then looked what happened

TXHog30

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2019, 03:48:27 pm »

2-10 again would be bad. anything more would probably be ok. It's going to take some time.

I agree. We need quality depth and player development over a few years to sustain success in this league.

We can always catch fire here and there and pull some good wins (Bret was able to) but there is nothing stopping us from crashing into 2 and 4 win seasons if the depth isn't there.

Reggieslittlehands

• Band Nerd
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2019, 03:49:45 pm »

Recruiting is about building relationships, and i think Morris and his staff sell that. This staff will recruit well no matter the results because of the way they approach the process of recruiting. We all hope the results on the field this year are better, because that would help. It's not the end all be all some are thinking though.

jhogg

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2019, 03:53:52 pm »

I agree. We need quality depth and player development over a few years to sustain success in this league.

We can always catch fire here and there and pull some good wins (Bret was able to) but there is nothing stopping us from crashing into 2 and 4 win seasons if the depth isn't there.
I do agree with you, we need quality depth and competition at every position, the lack of quality depth under the previous staff was crazy especially along the OL and at QB

Hogcore

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2019, 03:54:00 pm »

If we fail to see some improvement on the field this fall then I'll start to worry.

redeye

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2019, 04:15:21 pm »

We're not even halfway through March and some are already worrying?  We already have more commitments then last year at this time, and IIRC, commitments didn't start rolling in until early Summer.  For all we know, they may already have other commitments, but are asking players to hold off on announcing.

A Hogwork Orange

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2019, 04:27:29 pm »

We're not even halfway through March and some are already worrying?  We already have more commitments then last year at this time, and IIRC, commitments didn't start rolling in until early Summer.  For all we know, they may already have other commitments, but are asking players to hold off on announcing.

Literally same thing happened on this board last year and look how we ended up. I will worry when it is Sept-Oct and we are still at 5-10 commits. Seems most kids like to wait till about the beginning of the school year to commit.

Seebs

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2019, 04:35:51 pm »

Not sure I know how to panick, but I heard from the reliable sources in Jump Ball we are only signing the three that have verbally committed. the rest just will have to miss out. 

Hawgphat

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2019, 04:47:29 pm »

I don't know beans about the nuts and bolts of major college football.  The 2-10 last season record was surely embarrassing, but - in my admittedly unqualified opinion - the off-season recruiting and positional maneuvering has seemingly produced astonishing upgrades in our overall prevailing talent level.  Like practically every other Hogs fan, I have no specific expectation as to how these upgrades are going to factor into more wins this next season, - - but they surely look good on paper.  I'm SO anxious to see how Morris & Company's second season actually pans out in respect to on-field performance and "Wins" registration.

Isn't it a curious coincidence that a head coach's perceived Football IQ and his pertinent game management skill set seems to perceptively increase exponentially along with a simultaneous sharp increase in the number of seasonal victories?  Here's hoping that we all get to witness that particular phenomena over the course of this upcoming season.      8)

FraggleHog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • My name is on Senior Walk
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2019, 05:15:48 pm »

Nikki must read Hogville. FWIW

Athog

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2019, 05:40:34 pm »

This was your first mistake

That a boy!! Letís stay as negative as we can. This coaching staff has done the best recruiting job in the recent history. So having t
your hopes up is to be expected! Donít give up the hope and support!!

tusked

• Clapton is god....but SRV was the big bang!
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2019, 06:00:08 pm »

Is the SMU safety transfer a grad transfer, will he play in the fall or does he have to sit out a year.  Once he's eligible how many years to play does he have.

Thks much.

hawginbigd1

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2019, 06:41:05 pm »

Not sure panic should have been used but my reading of the stuff written led me to expect a handful of commits this week and I am surprised and disappointed.

Cambridge Hog

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2019, 08:17:05 pm »

We are now going toe to toe against OU, Texas, Bama, etc.

Probably should get used to a longer process for recruits like this.

Itís great being in on so many good ones. We will get there given our trajectory so far.

twistitup

HogsOfAnarchy

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2019, 08:25:03 pm »

This is true. Itís hard being patient

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2019, 05:31:33 am »

Think about this.  Anyone committing this early is either coming to Arkansas no matter what because it is their dream or worried stiff they won't get another better offer and don't intend to lose their only chance or will be one of those who will change their mind a couple of times before signing day.  These Kids are smart.  Most of them know the ball is in their court at this time and they are smart enough to keep it tucked in tight and keep running for the openings their talent and circumstance allows.

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2019, 05:34:05 am »

I wonder what percentage of very early commitments don't end up keeping that commitment on signing day.  I bet its a large number.

Seebs

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2019, 08:22:01 am »

I wonder what percentage of very early commitments don't end up keeping that commitment on signing day.  I bet its a large number.
31.75%

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2019, 08:30:27 am »

A little surprised at the lack of excitement or big news after this big recruiting weekend Arkansas just had. Guess I had my hopes up for more news. No reason to panick. I do feel like they gained good ground on a lot of recruits. Didnít hurt their chances with any anyway.

They got one or two commitments that will excite a lot of people, but the kids haven't gone public.

FraggleHog

• My name is on Senior Walk
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2019, 09:14:10 am »

They got one or two commitments that will excite a lot of people, but the kids haven't gone public.

Ahh, the good old "Silent Commits". Hope they come to fruition! Are they waiting until NSD to announce, or is a commitment announcement coming soon?

Otis Kirk

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2019, 10:03:01 am »

Ahh, the good old "Silent Commits". Hope they come to fruition! Are they waiting until NSD to announce, or is a commitment announcement coming soon?

No it won't be signing day, but no set date to announce. Hopefully it is sooner rather than later. I don't like sitting on them forever either.

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2019, 10:09:24 am »

That is good to hear, Otis. Thanks!

Gonzo

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2019, 10:13:14 am »

31.75%

68.2% of all statistics are made up

Go Hogs!

Seebs

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2019, 10:41:20 am »

Go Hogs!

I utilize my unequaled Chisanbop skills to come up with these statistics. I was on the tonight show in 1981 versus a calculator and  emerged victorious.

I do have a slow left ring finger but I am training.

The Hogfather

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2019, 10:44:03 am »

Go Hogs!

98.4% of statistics are made up 68.2% of the time.

LZH

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2019, 10:51:09 am »

"Otis, my man!!!"

The Hogfather

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2019, 10:53:46 am »

No it won't be signing day, but no set date to announce. Hopefully it is sooner rather than later. I don't like sitting on them forever either.

Go ahead and let us know.  Don't stress yourself out.

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2019, 11:21:08 am »

Go ahead and let us know.  Don't stress yourself out.
This!

Whatever is said on HV stays on HV, right yíall?

The Hogfather

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2019, 11:27:22 am »

This!

I won't tell...

twistitup

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2019, 11:35:36 am »

This!

I won't say a word....trust me on this one.

Next1_04

« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2019, 01:43:54 pm »

This coaching staff has done the best recruiting job in the recent history.

This I can agree with. It's the best I have seen in my lifetime (mid 30's), I want to be optimistic but, well I don't really have to say anything else I don't think.

BigD94

• Varsity
  • Also outkicked my coverage. WPS!
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2019, 03:41:21 pm »

98.4% of statistics are made up 68.2% of the time.

This is 89% correct.

The Hogfather

« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2019, 03:45:05 pm »

This is 89% correct.

Only 13% of answers are correct on Hogville.

Hawgphat

« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2019, 04:02:01 pm »

I type something in the posting box 100% of the time in those threads in which I choose to participate.

I am sometimes bedeviled by belated "posting remorse".      :-[

twistitup

« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2019, 05:59:10 pm »

Im 43% sure we will have more than 2 wins this season
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas