• 10,350,503 Posts
• 409,574 Topics
• 23,412 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: A little third party 2019 insight from CFN  (Read 8662 times)

oldhawg

Re: A little third party 2019 insight from CFN
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2019, 12:53:00 pm »

Injecting a few facts into this conversation:

B.B. at Arkansas                                       C.M. at SMU
Average wins/loses per season overall:               5.8 - 6.8 (includes bowls)                          4.7 - 7.3
Winning percentage:                                             46.0%                                                     38.8%

Average wins/losses in conference play:              2.2 - 5.8                                                     2.7 - 7.3
Winning percentage:                                              27.5%                                                      33.0%

So what's left to judge? 

The answer is intangibles.  Bielema has a really confusing history as D-1 head football coach, with his successful years at Wisconsin, and then his abject failure at Arkansas, both fairly high profile P-5 teams.  What happened at Arkansas?  It seemed to be a job in dormancy just waiting for someone to rejuvenate it.  Again I ask what happened with Bielema at Arkansas?

Morris enjoyed limited success at SMU, a none P-5 school, and then when he moved to Arkansas had a disastrous first season in terms of wins and losses from a fans viewpoint.  But in spite of a few doom and gloom prognosticators on HV, IMO Morris still has the support of the vast majority of Razorback fans, although perhaps guardedly, probably bolstered by the perception that he has had a highly successful first full recruiting season.  His success as a P-5 coach at a university with a proud tradition is yet to be written.

Going to be an interesting ride the next few seasons.                           

Superhog1959

« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2019, 01:10:48 pm »

At this point, it doesn't matter who hired, how he got hired or what happened that he got hired. Reality is that Chad Morris is (OUR) coach. Is he a good coach? Can he right the program? Time will tell. Until we know, I say lets hope he can be successful, support him.
If you are in a bad situation or walk into a bad situation, all you can do is your best. I believe he will give it his all. As fans, to me it is important to support him and (OUR) team. Give the man a chance. If he is successful, we will all be happy. If he fails, we will get a new coach and start over.
 1 year is not a guide to go by for future years. I just want to see visible improvement this year. It is what it is.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Al Boarland

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2019, 01:15:07 pm »

Most teams aren't in the SEC West

There should be 4 built in wins.  Plus, last time I checked you get few games at home.  A bowl should be the baseline year 1-100.  Unfortunately, that didn't happen last season, so there was a mad dash to figure out how to minimize the blame on the guy who will be here at least another 4 years.  All that being said, I think CM can get the program back to a decent level.  At a minimum the guys that are around for year 2 will have more familiarity with the system and one would expect bringing in your own guys will help. 

ifghog

« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2019, 02:13:55 pm »

4-6 for sure

RyanMallettsEgo

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Let me buy you lunch
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2019, 02:27:04 pm »

ricepig

« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2019, 02:31:03 pm »

Again with the "show us the proof". Classic.

So what that I liked CBB? On paper he looked like the perfect fit. So it didn't work out? Big deal. I have no hangups with his record other than he didn't win enough. Most of y'all are mad because he got paid a bunch of money. Welcome to the business of big time college athletics.

But after all that money they were ready to throw at Gus(who was NEVER coming), this is what we got. And you know why? Because a lot of coaches were interested, winning coaches. But when the word got out on how much they dropped the pay after Gus said no, we got the only guy that really wanted to deal with us. All the agents put the word out. Jerry was pushing CCM.

And since some of you know so much, who exactly DID we offer or have interest in before and after Gus?

I’m afraid you get an incomplete, you didn’t show your “work”, on your supposition.

247Hog

« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2019, 02:51:11 pm »

So what that I liked CBB? On paper he looked like the perfect fit. So it didn't work out? Big deal. I have no hangups with his record other than he didn't win enough. Most of y'all are mad because he got paid a bunch of money. Welcome to the business of big time college athletics.

But after all that money they were ready to throw at Gus(who was NEVER coming), this is what we got. And you know why? Because a lot of coaches were interested, winning coaches. But when the word got out on how much they dropped the pay after Gus said no, we got the only guy that really wanted to deal with us. All the agents put the word out. Jerry was pushing CCM.

And since some of you know so much, who exactly DID we offer or have interest in before and after Gus?

You have to be one of the worst posters in history on Hogville. Not because you don't like CCM but because of your insane amount of hypocrisy. You're okay with Bret being lazy but complain about CMM recruiting. You're okay with Bret Friday night vacations, i mean recruiting trips but piss and moan about CCM watching his son play ball. You whine about 2-10 record but was okay with Bret pathetic record, especially in the SEC. You chastise CCM hiring of coaching staff but Bret never made a bad hire. You Sir have to either be a Troll or the most pathetic hog fan in history.

010HogFan

« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2019, 02:54:02 pm »

I want to be able to say I was so wrong about this guy.

No you don't. It's okay to be honest.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Let me buy you lunch
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2019, 03:04:25 pm »

So what that I liked CBB? 1. On paper he looked like the perfect fit. So it didn't work out? Big deal. 2. I have no hangups with his record other than he didn't win enough. Most of y'all are mad because he got paid a bunch of money. Welcome to the business of big time college athletics.

But after all that money they were ready to throw at Gus(who was NEVER coming), this is what we got. And you know why? 3. Because a lot of coaches were interested, winning coaches. But when the word got out on how much they dropped the pay after Gus said no, we got the only guy that really wanted to deal with us. All the agents put the word out. Jerry was pushing CCM.

1. Yeah, maybe he did look pretty good on paper. And look and how bad he was here. Morris may not look as good on paper, but what did Bielema prove? Clearly doesn't matter how "perfect" you might look on paper.

2. Lmao. Ya think?

3. Like who?

Like I said earlier, you're up in arms about Morris and year one. Bielema won one more game in year one than Morris did. Were you crying then?

MissippHog

« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2019, 03:07:06 pm »

Hey, Jen, don't look now but Bret's record here was 29-34.
Haha, I was thinking the same. 

Dropkick

• I'm somewhere in the middle
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2019, 03:15:45 pm »

Would you care to name all these winning coaches that we ran off so Jerry could hire CCM?

RyanMallettsEgo

• Let me buy you lunch
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2019, 03:17:24 pm »

Would you care to name all these winning coaches that we ran off so Jerry could hire CCM?

Gus! Norvell! Leach! Strong! Kiffin! Petrino! Grobe! Nutt! Gruden!

Dropkick

• I'm somewhere in the middle
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2019, 03:20:23 pm »

Funny, I actually wanted Norvell or Leach. At least with Leach the pressers last year would have been hilarious.

nchogg

• Senior
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2019, 03:27:11 pm »

Gus was a no go, so was Gruden, Petrino and Strong. Now Nutt was not wanted, you don't rehire fired coaches but Louisville does. That's five on your post.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Let me buy you lunch
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2019, 03:45:54 pm »

Gus was a no go, so was Gruden, Petrino and Strong. Now Nutt was not wanted, you don't rehire fired coaches but Louisville does. That's five on your post.

Gonzo

« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2019, 03:49:05 pm »

Don't forget Belichick, Jimmy J, Walsh, and Joe Gibbs …. along with the ghosts of Lombardi and Rockne for spiritual guidance ;)

Go Hogs!

Gonzo

« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2019, 03:50:46 pm »

Just went by you so fast it messed you up didn't it?

Go Hogs!

UnknownNobody

« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2019, 04:27:32 pm »

Sarcasm is lost on some...

HogPharmer

« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2019, 05:21:29 pm »

nm

HogPharmer

« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2019, 05:22:22 pm »

Average wins/loses per season overall:               5.8 - 6.8 (includes bowls)                          4.7 - 7.3
Winning percentage:                                             46.0%                                                     38.8%

Average wins/losses in conference play:              2.2 - 5.8                                                     2.7 - 7.3
Winning percentage:                                              27.5%                                                      33.0%

So what's left to judge? 

The answer is intangibles.  Bielema has a really confusing history as D-1 head football coach, with his successful years at Wisconsin, and then his abject failure at Arkansas, both fairly high profile P-5 teams.  What happened at Arkansas?  It seemed to be a job in dormancy just waiting for someone to rejuvenate it.  Again I ask what happened with Bielema at Arkansas?

Morris enjoyed limited success at SMU, a none P-5 school, and then when he moved to Arkansas had a disastrous first season in terms of wins and losses from a fans viewpoint.  But in spite of a few doom and gloom prognosticators on HV, IMO Morris still has the support of the vast majority of Razorback fans, although perhaps guardedly, probably bolstered by the perception that he has had a highly successful first full recruiting season.  His success as a P-5 coach at a university with a proud tradition is yet to be written.

Another thing that people don't like to take into account is that when you're at a school like SMU, you're getting paid a lot as a "rent-a-win" team. You are scheduled as the cupcake for many P5 teams to pad their record and get some confidence wins for bigger programs. Whereas at a P5 program, you're playing teams like SMU and other G5/FCS schools that SHOULD be automatic W's (please don't get into the Colorado State, N. Texas nonsense... We all know that we lost those games last year. That's not the point of the post).

The POINT is that CBB should have a higher winning percentage from his time at Arkansas vs Morris and his time at SMU. At SMU, you're playing equal competition (equal as in the same conference, not that all the teams are on the same level of talent) or better. At Arkansas, you're playing equal competition or worse...

HogPharmer

« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2019, 05:28:55 pm »

I have no hangups with his record other than he didn't win enough.

Do you realize how stupid that single sentence is and why nobody can take you seriously on here?

That's like buying a brand new car (a $15M car) that won't start and saying "I have no complaints with this car other than the fact that it doesn't work"

UnknownNobody

« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2019, 05:31:08 pm »

Do you realize how stupid that single sentence is and why nobody can take you seriously on here?

That's like buying a brand new car (a $15M car) that won't start and saying "I have no complaints with this car other than the fact that it doesn't work"

Nailed it...

RyanMallettsEgo

• Let me buy you lunch
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2019, 05:42:34 pm »

I mean that quote in itself is just incredible.

"His record didn't bother me, except for the fact he had more losses than wins, which literally defines a coach's record."

Oh, you don't say?

HogPharmer

« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2019, 05:47:28 pm »

I mean that quote in itself is just incredible.

"His record didn't bother me, except for the fact he had more losses than wins, which literally defines a coach's record."

Oh, you don't say?

Almost worthy of one of these...

RyanMallettsEgo

• Let me buy you lunch
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2019, 05:52:17 pm »

Almost worthy of one of these...

- Bielema leaves with losing record after five years: "I have no hangups with his record other than he didn't win enough."

- Morris has losing record after one year: *meltdown ensues*

mckinneyhog5

« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2019, 05:52:36 pm »

Have you not seen the turnover from last year to this year? Do you not think there’s a reason for that? Or it’s just for the hell of it, I guess.

And when the previous staff goes 4-8 in year five, I think that says just a little bit.
JLS won 4 games the year before BB got here. BB won 3 games his first year then 7 his second plus a bowl win. If BB is such a horrible coach but could win 7 his second year, what does that say about CCM if he can't win more than 6 in his second year? At some point CCM record has to be better then BB's if we're gonna call BB a horrible coach and CCM the savior of the program, right?

RyanMallettsEgo

• Let me buy you lunch
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2019, 05:56:14 pm »

JLS won 4 games the year before BB got here. BB won 3 games his first year then 7 his second plus a bowl win. If BB is such a horrible coach but could win 7 his second year, what does that say about CCM if he can't win more than 6 in his second year? At some point CCM record has to be better then BB's if we're gonna call BB a horrible coach and CCM the savior of the program, right?

What does it say about Bielema to go 4-8 in year five? What did Morris go in year five?

I never said Morris was the savior. But I'm sure as hell gonna give the guy more than one year before I start bitching and moaning.

HogPharmer

« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2019, 05:57:06 pm »

So you're defending CBB on merits of what-if's based on CCM's performance that haven't even happened yet?

mckinneyhog5

« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2019, 05:59:48 pm »

I never said Morris was the savior. But I'm sure as hell gonna give the guy more than one year before I start bitching and moaning.
Most people gave him last year including me. Maybe it's the posters telling us how impossible it is to win 6 games next year, seeing the upgrades at QB and WR. Honestly, I hope the biggest change is in the coaching because I didn't see one thing last year from them that impressed me. Morris will be here at least 3 years and maybe more but he has to start winning at some point and sooner rather than later.

mckinneyhog5

« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2019, 06:00:33 pm »

So you're defending CBB on merits of what-if's based on CCM's performance that haven't even happened yet?
Read my post below yours.

seasonhog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2019, 06:36:33 pm »

So what's left to judge? 

I am one of the few that thought Bielema would fail from the first year on, when Morris was hired my only comment was " Show US " well his first season was a wreck , I don't think he was prepared, so this season , who know, if we don't win more then 4 or 5 this season, then there is no telling how long before this program gets back to 8 or 9 wins season...

If this season is a wreck then Morris need to hit the road, another five year coach before a change, then I feel for all RB fans.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2019, 07:32:31 pm »

Bert did not come in and try to build a program he just tried to win games and he had no plan other than that and all it got us was mediocrity.

Morris is trying to build a program and that takes time and patience. The wins will come, just not as fast as many here want.

Al Boarland

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2019, 08:21:27 pm »

Bert did not come in and try to build a program he just tried to win games and he had no plan other than that and all it got us was mediocrity.

Morris is trying to build a program and that takes time and patience. The wins will come, just not as fast as many here want.

A bit of revisionist history. I recall so many here crowing about BB's developmental program like it was the missing link. 

UnknownNobody

« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2019, 09:18:10 pm »

A bit of revisionist history. I recall so many here crowing about BB's developmental program like it was the missing link.

To be fair many thought he would do that the way it was done at Wisconsin but 5yrs later we learned the rumors were true, Alvarez ran that program and Bielema was a empty suit.

Bielema chafed at being in Alvarez shadow and bolted for Arkansas where he was unable to keep good assistants because they saw him for what he was.

I say all that but was a Bielema supporter early. I started to believe what I had been told about the drinking and him acting like he was just biding his time. Was always interesting to me that Bielema and Jen announced her pregnancy just as the 2016 season started to tank and then it continued thru 2017 and it was time for him to go.

Hawgphat

« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2019, 09:37:42 pm »

If we win less then 6, we hired the wrong coach.

An alternative perspective:

If we win less than 6, I'll tend to chalk it up mainly to relative youth and inexperience coming out of The Bielema Era.

When it appeared that none of the "right coaches" were beating down our door begging for the job, I personally find it to be a bit knee-jerk ludicrous to conclude that "we hired the wrong coach" at this juncture.  I put last year's W-L record squarely on Bielema.  This coming season should be better in all aspects of the game.  How MUCH better is not my place to predict.  This staff has done a bang-up job of recruiting.  I'm willing to give them a shot at seeing how that hard work and dedication ethic translates to improved play all around and "Wins".

ifghog

« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2019, 09:56:45 pm »

Did Petrino leave us with better talent or BB.....I think you know the answer. Out talent level was the worst in my lifetime....theres your problem.

010HogFan

« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2019, 10:28:12 pm »

Did Petrino leave us with better talent or BB.....I think you know the answer. Out talent level was the worst in my lifetime....theres your problem.

Honestly not even fair to compare the scenarios at all. John L's team started the year ranked in the Top 10. There was talent on that team. Same with the Petrino squad. Playmakers everywhere. None this past year. Zilch.

Hawgphat

« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2019, 11:43:21 pm »

Those of you who have effectively already passed final judgement on Chad Morris' coaching ability, and are adamantly calling for the issuance of his walking papers back to the high school ranks are certainly entitled to your presentiments; but I really wish that you could be a bit more even-handed about affording Morris and his crew a fighting chance to turn this program around.  His FIRST order of business - logically speaking -  is to succeed in getting the program pried loose from the sub basement flooring and get the elevator headed back up to Ground Level.  With the situation he inherited, that's no easy task.

Morris is NOT responsible for the state of affairs which he inherited.  Allow the man to have a legitimate shot at righting the ship before you make him walk the plank, PLEASE!      >:(

Superhog1959

« Reply #88 on: March 13, 2019, 08:43:32 am »

Those of you who have effectively already passed final judgement on Chad Morris' coaching ability, and are adamantly calling for the issuance of his walking papers back to the high school ranks are certainly entitled to your presentiments; but I really wish that you could be a bit more even-handed about affording Morris and his crew a fighting chance to turn this program around.  His FIRST order of business - logically speaking -  is to succeed in getting the program pried loose from the sub basement flooring and get the elevator headed back up to Ground Level.  With the situation he inherited, that's no easy task.

Morris is NOT responsible for the state of affairs which he inherited.  Allow the man to have a legitimate shot at righting the ship before you make him walk the plank, PLEASE!      >:(
Right On
I can understand people being restless about not winning early. Its been a hard road for the hogs for years now. Some good wins, yes, but more disappointment than victories. Coach Morris not only has to deal with his team, he has to deal with a hungry mob of fans that want it right now.
I just want him to get a fair shake. If he is over his head, it will show up this year. The first 4 games will say a lot. I think he is a good man, and I really want him to do well.

NuttinItUp

• Gold Hogvillian
  • In Karma Nirvana for all time.
    • Bring Back Slobbering Hog
« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2019, 09:03:23 am »

Morris might win 5 in year two and 7 in year three, just like he did at SMU.

After that, hoping to be on the Clemson track...it took Dabo a few years to get to the 10+ wins/year level.
....Also Morris is the right coach for long term success here.

TXHog30

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2019, 09:49:31 am »

After that, hoping to be on the Clemson track...it took Dabo a few years to get to the 10+ wins/year level.

I wouldn't complain about that, if and ONLY if the recruiting classes are as deep as they were this year.

Unless he just cannot flat out coach, you stack 3 classes like we have back to back to back, we'll be poised to make waves.

oldhawg

« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2019, 10:29:32 am »

Dabo Swinney's first three years:

4-3* (Took over for Tommy Bowden mid-season)
9-5
6-7

Double digit wins since then (eight seasons).

mckinneyhog5

« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2019, 11:46:36 am »

Dabo Swinney's first three years:

4-3* (Took over for Tommy Bowden mid-season)
9-5
6-7

Double digit wins since then (eight seasons).
So, we're gonna out Clemson, Clemson?

RyanMallettsEgo

• Let me buy you lunch
« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2019, 12:09:41 pm »

So, we're gonna out Clemson, Clemson?

Probably not, but I guess we're gonna miss the point of the post.

Hawgphat

« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2019, 12:34:55 pm »

Arkansas with a 2-10 record is Arkansas.

Arkansas with a 6-6 record will be Arkansas.

Arkansas with a 10-2 record will be Arkansas.

Arkansas is a special, individual case unto itself.  Arkansas is NOT Clemson, Alabama, Auburn or Texas A&M.

Arkansas is Arkansas.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Let me buy you lunch
« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2019, 12:40:27 pm »

Arkansas with a 2-10 record is Arkansas.

Arkansas with a 6-6 record will be Arkansas.

Arkansas with a 10-2 record will be Arkansas.

Arkansas is a special, individual case unto itself.  Arkansas is NOT Clemson, Alabama, Auburn or Texas A&M.

Arkansas is Arkansas.

You sure?

Hawgphat

« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2019, 12:55:12 pm »

You sure?

Yep.  Individualized identification is integral to a school's personal reputation.

The original name for "Rice University" was "The Sam Houston Institute of Technology; - - - (S.H.I.T.)  The Homer Rice Powers That Be decided that "Rice" sounded perhaps a bit more prestigious, and decided to go with that designation.

"A rose by any other name would smell as "sweet" - - - - (presumably).      :-\

mckinneyhog5

« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2019, 12:58:06 pm »

Can anyone guess when the last time Razorback football had three losing seasons in a row?

Hawgphat

« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2019, 01:22:38 pm »

Can anyone guess when the last time Razorback football had three losing seasons in a row?

Chad Morris has been our Head Coach for ONE season, - - - using Bret Bielema's complement of player personnel.

Why don't we wait two more years before we broach the subject of "three consecutive losing seasons"?

mckinneyhog5

« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2019, 02:33:28 pm »

Chad Morris has been our Head Coach for ONE season, - - - using Bret Bielema's complement of player personnel.

Why don't we wait two more years before we broach the subject of "three consecutive losing seasons"?
Would you like me to give you the coaches names who came to Arkansas and faced the exact situation (One losing season from previous coach and one from the new hire) and what they did in their 2nd year? Following every trend one can find Morris should at a minimum have a .500 or above record this year. Why do people keep setting the expectations so low? Fans need to stop blaming Players, BB, and JL because I'm sure Morris isn't, at least I hope he isn't. BTW I have confidence he will  make 6 wins this year. With the upgrade at QB can't see how we won't
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas