• 10,303,307 Posts
• 408,297 Topics
• 23,335 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Surprise visitor from Transfer portal  (Read 12705 times)

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
Re: Surprise visitor from Transfer portal
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2019, 03:07:57 pm »

Anyone who says this kid is slow is out of their gourd. From the tape I saw, I saw a shifty one cut runner with explosion against a high level of competition in TX.

I don't know what he runs the 40 in but he is NOT slow. He was consistently outrunning guys who had an angle on him vs top HS competition.

I never heard of him before today, but every player without a famous Dad was unknown at one time. He can petition for a redshirt year since he only played in 4 games in 2018, so he is fresh and has 3 years left.

He's been in a Power 5 program 2 years and a college S&C program. I don't know if it's a coup, but to say he's a dud is just a tad premature..

He was recruited by the previous staff, Todd Graham's IIRC and CM has ties to Graham, so he was probably recommended by him.

Hawgphat

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2019, 03:24:46 pm »

We're thin at the position. It's March 9. We have open scholarships.

This really isn't rocket science.

That's kosher.  So, - basically, - at this point, beggars can't be choosers, and we do not have the luxury of holding out for a 6'4' ,225 pound, pile-driving-power RB with 4.37 40 speed and sporting superlative highlight videos?

Gotcha.

(I suppose.)      :-\

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

RaisinHog

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2019, 03:24:50 pm »

Anyone who says this kid is slow is out of their gourd. From the tape I saw, I saw a shifty one cut runner with explosion against a high level of competition in TX.

I don't know what he runs the 40 in but he is NOT slow. He was consistently outrunning guys who had an angle on him vs top HS competition.

I never heard of him before today, but every player without a famous Dad was unknown at one time. He can petition for a redshirt year since he only played in 4 games in 2018, so he is fresh and has 3 years left.

He's been in a Power 5 program 2 years and a college S&C program. I don't know if it's a coup, but to say he's a dud is just a tad premature..

He was recruited by the previous staff, Todd Graham's IIRC and CM has ties to Graham, so he was probably recommended by him.

I disagree he was not a one cut runner at all he was a stop and go 50 times behind the line of scrimmage runner

RyanMallettsEgo

• Let me buy you lunch
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2019, 03:53:40 pm »

That's kosher.  So, - basically, - at this point, beggars can't be choosers, and we do not have the luxury of holding out for a 6'4' ,225 pound, pile-driving-power RB with 4.37 40 speed and sporting superlative highlight videos?

Gotcha.

How many of those guys actually exist?

The #1 RB in the country this past class is 6'0'' 214 lbs and runs a 4.52.

The real Hogules

• My Hogs are bad ass!
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2019, 04:01:04 pm »

So how does a player that has to sit a season help a position that you claim we're thin at?

ricepig

« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2019, 04:03:01 pm »

Sorry but hard to get excited about a kid who is not big, not fast, wasnt highly recruited, wasn’t productive/barely played in 2 years in college and “mutually” parted ways in college after being suspended

Not really my idea of a way to turn over the roster and turn around a 2-10 season.  But hey whatever floats your boat

I imagine they know what they’re doing, do you think they pulled this out of thin air last night? They need to even out the RB classes, they recruited him at SMU, so they liked something. Do you actually expect for us to have a roster of 85 4* and 5*?

RyanMallettsEgo

• Let me buy you lunch
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2019, 04:03:45 pm »

So how does a player that has to sit a season help a position that you claim we're thin at?

How does it hurt?

Would you rather go the addition by subtraction route?

What do you propose we do now, March 9th, instead?

The real Hogules

• My Hogs are bad ass!
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2019, 04:08:16 pm »

How does it hurt?

Would you rather go the addition by subtraction route?

If he's not a darn sure, can't miss prospect then I either use the scholarship on a player that can make my team better in the here and now, or I save the scholarship and use it on my next recruiting class, whose players would be eligible to play at the UofA on the same day as Smith.
Hey the coaches wanted him and I'm fine with that, it just struck me as kind of out of left field.

Hog Fan...DOH!

• Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2019, 04:23:14 pm »

If he's not a darn sure, can't miss prospect then I either use the scholarship on a player that can make my team better in the here and now, or I save the scholarship and use it on my next recruiting class, whose players would be eligible to play at the UofA on the same day as Smith.
Hey the coaches wanted him and I'm fine with that, it just struck me as kind of out of left field.

They need an experienced player in that room next year.  Period.  This kid knows what big time football looks and feels like.  Sounds like he was Todd Graham recruit, so he'll know the system and be a great mentor.   He's from Houston-- big time recruiting area. 

Some of you folks need to get your head out and stop disrespecting Razorback football players and recruits. 

Hugo Bezdek

• Senior
  • We Played Like A Wild Band of Razorbacks!
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2019, 04:36:37 pm »

They need an experienced player in that room next year.  Period.  This kid knows what big time football looks and feels like.  Sounds like he was Todd Graham recruit, so he'll know the system and be a great mentor.   He's from Houston-- big time recruiting area. 

Some of you folks need to get your head out and stop disrespecting Razorback football players and recruits.

We can take a guy now who will enroll this fall and be a junior in 2020, or we could try to sign a JC transfer in the 2020 class that we hope is here for Spring next year. He was a Texas Top 100 player who rushed for 2000 yards his senior year in Houston. I assume our coaches were already familiar with him and believe he'll contribute.

HogJowler

« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2019, 04:44:57 pm »

More importantly how much do they $$ cost $$

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2019, 06:19:04 pm »

Does anyone have any resume stats on Smith, - - particularly against high caliber competition?

It seems that Smith is being painted here as a third string or fourth string scrub.  If that truly is the case, then I can't fathom his acquisition.

???

Arizona State running back Trelon Smith is no longer with the program according to a team source who called the departure a mutual decision.

Smith was held out of ASU’s first two games due to a suspension of program rules, according to a source. ASU coach Herm Edwards at the time called it a "coach's decision." He returned to action in the Sun Devils' fourth game of the season, at Washington, but fumbled away a short catch inside the Huskies' territory when ASU trailing 20-13 in the third quarter.

In four games this season Smith rushed for 56 yards on 11 carries and had four catches for 22 yards. ASU used Smith primarily as a core special teams player as a freshman in 2017 instead of redshirting him. He had just one carry for four yards but played in nine games overall.

Entering his senior season (HS) Smith clocked 4.70 seconds in the 40-yard dash, had a 4.36 shuttle run, 28.5 inch vertical jump, and 31.0 power ball toss at 181 pounds for a modest Nike Plus Football Rating of 74.37.

Since he played in only four games this season for the Sun Devils, Smith will be able to use the 2018 season as a redshirt year.

https://247sports.com/college/arizona-state/Article/Trelon-Smith-no-longer-with-ASU-football-program-123680343/

I think that he had big numbers in HS. If you want to look further into his college stats you might try this:

http://stats.ncaa.org/player/index?game_sport_year_ctl_id=14280&stats_player_seq=1925870

Maybe all he needs is a fresh start at a new venue under a new coaching staff?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 06:31:03 pm by MuskogeeHogFan »

Hawgphat

« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2019, 06:58:55 pm »

OH; - - - so this last season was a poor one for RBs?      ???

8)

oldhawg

« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2019, 07:57:05 pm »

Are you sure that the scholarship could be saved and used as an extra one next year?

King Kong

« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2019, 08:17:06 pm »

I like the pick up. We probably lose 2 RB next year. Get a APB that fits the system can learn it for a year.

Plays SP and provides depth.

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2019, 08:35:14 pm »

Exactly.

Man—some of these posters are so predictable, they are like the phases of the moon.  We have open schollies this late, and need depth at a key position. They can’t see the balance, the work ethic, the vision, receiving potential, willingness and capability to block.  All they can see is a stat. ‘4.70’. After that, they just pull on their moron hat and start barking.

Nosboar Accubond

• High-tech Redneck
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2019, 08:39:04 pm »

He went to Cy Ridge......................

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2019, 08:52:09 pm »

Gotcha.

No, at this point we would have a scholarship for a guy like the guy you describe if he existed. Got one spotted somewhere?

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2019, 08:58:12 pm »

OH; - - - so this last season was a poor one for RBs?      ???

8)
Yeah, the top back was only as fast as Walter Peyton, you...

JIHawg

« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2019, 09:38:56 pm »

From an Arizona State media guide,

The most obvious feature that stands out from Smith among others is his size. A 5-foot-7 NCAA Division I football RB needs to be fast, lightning fast.

His 40-yard-dash is a solid 4.41.

Hoggish1

« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2019, 10:12:07 pm »

Good looking kid. Hopefully somebody can teach him how to hit his lane and go.  All that dancing around just results in lost yards in the SEC

Didn't see any dancing.  Kid has good lean and quick cuts.  Makes great choices with good vision...

Hoggish1

« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2019, 10:16:30 pm »

Hawgphat

« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2019, 10:31:04 pm »

No, at this point we would have a scholarship for a guy like the guy you describe if he existed. Got one spotted somewhere?

Personally, I wouldn't care whether he was spotted - - or whether he was the same monochrome color all over, as long as he could advance the football down the field of play with great efficiency and alacrity.

Actually, - - no, - - I'm NOT aware of any available RB sporting those measurable attributes (more's the pity).    8)

Hawgphat

« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2019, 10:38:34 pm »

Yeah, the top back was only as fast as Walter Peyton, you...

I regret the necessity of being the one to have to break this unhappy news to you, - - but Walter Payton is no longer with us.  He's not very fast at all now.

I don't keep tabs that closely.  I have not been apprised of the actual speed output stats of "The top back", "the bottom back" or either of "the side backs".

Nobody tells me nuthin'.     :-[

Nosboar Accubond

• High-tech Redneck
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2019, 11:37:35 pm »

LZH

« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2019, 11:14:24 am »

Some stuff just writes itself.

Dammit, I was late again.....

RyanMallettsEgo

• Let me buy you lunch
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2019, 01:27:01 pm »

I regret the necessity of being the one to have to break this unhappy news to you, - - but Walter Payton is no longer with us.  He's not very fast at all now.

I don't keep tabs that closely.  I have not been apprised of the actual speed output stats of "The top back", "the bottom back" or either of "the side backs".

Nobody tells me nuthin'.     :-[

That's pretty obvious since you seem to think "6'4' ,225 pound, pile-driving-power RB with 4.37 40 speed" are readily available.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2019, 02:45:34 pm »

From an Arizona State media guide,

The most obvious feature that stands out from Smith among others is his size. A 5-foot-7 NCAA Division I football RB needs to be fast, lightning fast.

His 40-yard-dash is a solid 4.41.

Can we get a link to this because after looking at the Ariz State Media guides for 2017 and 2018, I can't find this. Much appreciated in advance.

Hawgphat

« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2019, 03:22:48 pm »

That's pretty obvious since you seem to think "6'4' ,225 pound, pile-driving-power RB with 4.37 40 speed" are readily available.

Well, - - - generally speaking, - - they don't appear to be available to ARKANSAS.

However, - - - I DO recall that Knile Davis, - - while he was a Hog, - - - was once timed in  3.27 in the 40. 

Don't say it CAN'T be done; - - - - it HAS been done.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2019, 03:29:52 pm »

Well, - - - generally speaking, - - they don't appear to be available to ARKANSAS.

However, - - - I DO recall that Knile Davis, - - while he was a Hog, - - - was once timed in  3.27 in the 40. 

I hope you meant to say "4.27"?

Hawgphat

« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2019, 04:22:58 pm »

I hope you meant to say "4.27"?

I did indeed.  Nobody's perfect.  Some among us are even more imperfect than are others.  I plead guilty.  In this instance, I'm rather like the oblivious dude who fell into a barrel of titties - - and came up sucking his thumb.      :-[

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2019, 04:24:08 pm »

I did indeed.  Nobody's perfect.  Some among us are even more imperfect than are others.  I plead guilty.  In this instance, I'm rather like the oblivious dude who fell into a barrel of titties - - and came up sucking his thumb.      :-[

No big deal. I figured as much.

Hawgphat

« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2019, 04:31:21 pm »

No big deal. I figured as much.

On a serious note, I REALLY expect that Morris & Co. have been keeping a watchful eye on available talent, and are quite competent in evaluating that available talent.  I am content to assume that they feel as though they have good reason to sign the available positional needs whom they are signing.

Danimal

• Senior
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2019, 04:44:57 pm »

Can we get a link to this because after looking at the Ariz State Media guides for 2017 and 2018, I can't find this. Much appreciated in advance.
Can't remember what link the SDS facebook page used, but it did say he had a 40 time of 4.41. No idea if that's accurate, but that's what it said fwiw.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Let me buy you lunch
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2019, 04:59:18 pm »

Dude, the size and intangibles and 40 time you listed is almost identical to Darren McFadden.

Do you think RBs like Darren McFadden, a borderline generational talent at running back, are just readily available throughout the country?

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2019, 05:22:24 pm »

Can't remember what link the SDS facebook page used, but it did say he had a 40 time of 4.41. No idea if that's accurate, but that's what it said fwiw.

There is this, but nothing official. But notice that Morris was pursuing him while still at SMU.

Recruited by assistant coach Shawn Slocum -- who oversees the Houston area -- Smith chose the Sun Devils over reported scholarship offers from Cincinnati, Duke, Purdue, Illinois, SMU and others. He has a reported 40 time of 4.41 seconds.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/asu-recruiting/2016/06/20/houston-rb-trelon-smith-commits-arizona-state/86139186/
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 05:39:11 pm by MuskogeeHogFan »

JIHawg

« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2019, 06:50:06 pm »

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/college/asu-recruiting/2016/06/20/houston-rb-trelon-smith-commits-arizona-state/86139186/

If the link doesn't work, google Trelon Smith 4.41, and it will come up.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2019, 06:56:44 pm »

HS 40 times are unreliable. Watch his video, the kid is fast and elusive.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/3783267/57d7f7f63bd814415085157a

oldhawg

« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2019, 06:59:57 pm »

Coaches must have seen something in him that they like a lot.

twistitup

« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2019, 07:37:45 pm »

Has he been offered yet?

UnknownNobody

« Reply #90 on: March 10, 2019, 07:49:13 pm »

Has he been offered yet?

He committed yesterday.

twistitup

« Reply #91 on: March 10, 2019, 08:15:15 pm »

He committed yesterday.

Glad to have him.

liljo

• Hogvillian
« Reply #92 on: March 10, 2019, 08:28:20 pm »

ANYBODY on this Third Rock From the Sun that even has a casual enjoyment of football—any of them who just watched the two highlights Muskogee and Unknown posted here...surely you can “see something” in this kid that you like a lot!

This guy is, potentially, a sensational pickup for us. Man, his junior and senior videos contain extensive looks of a quickly accelerating, well-balanced, elusive back who doesn’t fear contact.  He runs through tacklers, uses his blocks, makes decisive and deadly cuts upfield...He looks like a heck of a back to me.

Razor_back

« Reply #93 on: March 10, 2019, 08:43:35 pm »

Do they use him on D in the secondary?

Oklahawg

• Resident Optimistic Pragmatist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Pop Music at It's Finest
« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2019, 11:17:10 am »

Trying to figure out if he counts only against the 85 or also the 29. Help?

ricepig

« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2019, 11:19:59 am »

Well, I thought with the changes made, that every transfer counted against a class. I guess we’ll find out if we sign another Grad transfer.

navyhog24

« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2019, 12:47:37 pm »

So I will admit that I have been wrong. Sorry to everyone for the confusion. I am going to referencing an SI article that explains it the best in my opinion.

Trelon Smith is counted against the signing class.

HawgPhat, ricepig, and Otis were correct.

Here is the SI article.

In NCAA parlance, an initial counter is a new scholarship player at a school. In football, a school can take up to 25 initial counters each academic year as long as it doesn’t go over the 85-scholarship maximum. This rule exists for several reasons:

• To keep teams from stockpiling the best players.

• To keep teams from oversigning and shuffling out less productive older players to cover their recruiting mistakes.

• To keep a new coach from running off an entire team so he can replace the players with his own recruits.

A scholarship player signed out of high school counts as an initial. So does a junior college transfer. And so do transfers from four-year schools—be they undergraduates or graduate students.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/02/18/transfer-portal-scholarship-limits-initial-counter-rule

Hawgphat

« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2019, 01:27:11 pm »

It's no biggie, navy.  I can't keep up with the various considerations which factor into which class the recruitment scholarships count against.  I just VERY recently heard about the difference between a "grad transfer" and a "standard" transfer.

I'm just content to find out where we stand at any given point in time.      8)

ricepig

« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2019, 02:42:10 pm »

It's no biggie, navy.  I can't keep up with the various considerations which factor into which class the recruitment scholarships count against.  I just VERY recently heard about the difference between a "grad transfer" and a "standard" transfer.

I'm just content to find out where we stand at any given point in time.      8)

These rule changes come at you so fast, they just mess you up!

#hammerdown

• Senior
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2019, 07:00:36 pm »

These rule changes come at you so fast, they just mess you up!

Now, if we could just figure out how the 29 translates to the 25  ;)

Actually that one is pretty simple but I was mistaken a few weeks ago on this same topic.  The first 4 early enrollees we had this year counted toward last year.  They are not on this year schollies because they enrolled before spring semester.  It is the same as if they enrolled in August of last year.  Therefore we have signed 24 players in this class (if my count is correct).  That would allow us to sign 1 early enrollee (assuming we don't take another one in the summer) to count for this class making it 25.  That would give the impression of signing 26 next year when we are really signing 25 in 18, 19, and 20.

Do the math.  My head hurts
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas