• 10,330,845 Posts
• 408,952 Topics
• 23,359 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mike Leach speaks to the most important traits of a successful QB  (Read 3614 times)

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Nadine Coyle shakin it for the Hogs!!!!

You gotta love Mike Leach because if he does anything consistently, he tells it like it is...or at least as he tends to see things.

I think he hits the mark pretty well on this particular topic.

Warren Sharp
‏Verified account @SharpFootball

Mike Leach: Most important characteristics of QBs

"You can't develop people into being accurate after 17-18. In the 4th-6th grade he’s the guy that can take the snowball & hit the stop sign"

1. Accuracy
2. Good Decisions
3. Quick Feet
4. Fast
5. Strong Arm
+Elevate play of others

0:24 / 2:19

11:56 AM - 3 Mar 2019

Here's the link to the video. Don't just read what is quoted, watch the video...classic Mike Leach explanation.

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1102296816954036226

ChicoHog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • RIP Glenn. You're "Already Gone" way too soon
Re: Mike Leach speaks to the most important traits of a successful QB
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 08:56:15 pm »

Most  of his QBs have been accurate and make good decisions.  I can't think of any that had a real strong arm.  None of them did anything in the NFL but it doesn't really matter.  Most of the throws are short passes so accuracy and knowing where to throw it is what makes his offense.  Definitely not a running game!  And he has another grad transfer coming this year.  He is such a poor recruiter he can't get a hot shot HS QB to come to Pullman. 

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Tejano Jawg

• Go Hogs! Hit that ball!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 12:04:26 am »

I heard Troy Aikman support the accuracy point, while also putting the others way behind it—strong arm, good footwork, decision making, et al. But he didn't talk about it as well as Leach.

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 01:03:57 am »

What Leach does with QBs cannot be minimized. Gardner Minshew was very average at 2-3 stops before WSU including JC. Okay, maybe above average at one of the MS JCs but his stats at ECU were average at best.

The guy was a 3 star recruit from MS I believe it was, lightly recruited out of JC, run out of ECU and was ticketed to be 3rd string at 'Bama before Leach picked him off of the scrap heap.

The Pirate saw something he liked and Minshew broke most of the Pac 12 passing records in his only season out west. Ben Hicks' stats at SMU were a good deal better than Minshew's vs a similar level of competition at ECU.

Ironically, SMU played and beat ECU when Minshew was there and Hicks won the duel. IMO, the two have a similar skill set although I don't expect Hicks to break any records here due to the difference in offenses.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 05:10:20 am »

What Leach does with QBs cannot be minimized. Gardner Minshew was very average at 2-3 stops before WSU including JC. Okay, maybe above average at one of the MS JCs but his stats at ECU were average at best.

The guy was a 3 star recruit from MS I believe it was, lightly recruited out of JC, run out of ECU and was ticketed to be 3rd string at 'Bama before Leach picked him off of the scrap heap.

The Pirate saw something he liked and Minshew broke most of the Pac 12 passing records in his only season out west. Ben Hicks' stats at SMU were a good deal better than Minshew's vs a similar level of competition at ECU.

Ironically, SMU played and beat ECU when Minshew was there and Hicks won the duel. IMO, the two have a similar skill set although I don't expect Hicks to break any records here due to the difference in offenses.

Leach pointed out that there are a lot of successful NFL QB's that don't possess more than three of these traits. It will be interesting to see how many of these traits our QB's exhibit, especially the transfers who we have already seen play at other schools.

hawgfan4life

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 07:31:30 am »

All true, but those are the traits for his offense or for a QB in a throwing situation where everyone knows they are about to throw.  In many of the RPO schemes and the offenses that benefit from a dual threat QB, the accuracy isn't as important.  It is still desirable and success of that QB is increased proportional to his ability to throw accurately.  However, Lack of accuracy is compensated with big plays with their feet or caused by their ability to scramble and run. 

nwahogfan1

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 08:08:58 am »

Most  of his QBs have been accurate and make good decisions.  I can't think of any that had a real strong arm.  None of them did anything in the NFL but it doesn't really matter.  Most of the throws are short passes so accuracy and knowing where to throw it is what makes his offense.  Definitely not a running game!  And he has another grad transfer coming this year.  He is such a poor recruiter he can't get a hot shot HS QB to come to Pullman. 

I think Mike is a great recruiter because he has brought in some very decent talent to Pullman.  You have to remember that Pullman is the only school in the Pac12 which is hundreds of miles from a city of any size. I would guess Pullman is around 50,000 and probably has very few minorities.  To get HS football players from the metro areas of California or Seattle or Portland or where ever to come there is very, very difficult.   He has done more than the others who preceded him but he still lacks talent compared to many of the other Pac 12 schools.   But I say he is a good recruiter because of what he has done at WSU.

Con el Cerdos

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 09:24:09 am »

I think Mike is a great recruiter because he has brought in some very decent talent to Pullman. You have to remember that Pullman is the only school in the Pac12 which is hundreds of miles from a city of any size. I would guess Pullman is around 50,000 and probably has very few minorities.  To get HS football players from the metro areas of California or Seattle or Portland or where ever to come there is very, very difficult.   He has done more than the others who preceded him but he still lacks talent compared to many of the other Pac 12 schools.   But I say he is a good recruiter because of what he has done at WSU.

I agree.  Eleven wins didn't just happen.  He's not only brought in quality players to run his offense but elevated the defensive side as well.

Those who criticize WSU defense should look up the stats from last year to get a better grasp of what the 2018 team accomplished.

Mike Leach was at the top of my wish list after Bielema was fired.

greenie

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 10:08:41 am »

I agree.  Eleven wins didn't just happen.  He's not only brought in quality players to run his offense but elevated the defensive side as well.

Those who criticize WSU defense should look up the stats from last year to get a better grasp of what the 2018 team accomplished.

Same here. 

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 10:30:10 am »

Leach pointed out that there are a lot of successful NFL QB's that don't possess more than three of these traits.

Which is a way of proving being in the right place at the right time with the right coach in the right system can matter.

Hoggish1

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 10:47:46 am »

Love Mike Leach!  Speaks truth in a simple, straightforward style...

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 10:53:28 am »

Love Mike Leach!  Speaks truth in a simple, straightforward style...

Sure if you like pirates and such...........he’s one of the least simple and straightforward coach speakers out there.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 10:57:06 am »

fun to get drunk with also.. lol

Rock City Razorback

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 11:17:43 am »

Full interview for those that care https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU2YDfkkXRo

Pigsknuckles

• When you least expect it...
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2019, 11:40:17 am »

...he’s the guy that can take the snowball & hit the stop sign.

Well put.

HogPharmer

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2019, 12:05:59 pm »

6. Nice mustache

elksnort

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2019, 01:07:04 pm »

Thanks for posting this.

He is an interesting guy.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2019, 01:30:34 pm »

Way better to plan around consistency than anything else.

Take 2 qb's, one with a fairly weak arm, but is deadly accurate. Another with a rocket arm but wildly inaccurate.

You can modify your playbook for the first qb to remove long passes, and change what you teach him is "open" or not to account for the increased ∂t for the ball to get to the receiver.

You can't really do much with the second qb, other than try to change the qb's mechanics and really strive to practice and improve accuracy. Best case scenario is it is a case of faulty mechanics throwing off otherwise good accuracy. Otherwise, if the qb isn't inherently doesn't get accuracy, then you are SOL.

Accuracy to a certain degree, however, can be taught and it can greatly be changed as well (typically over HS since nobody is going to be playing qb in college if they haven't displayed at least pretty good accuracy in the first place). However, arm strength is one of those things can can't really be taught. It is a lot like speed in that regard. You can work on technique so that you can better utilize what you already possess, and you can make minor improvements. However, significant changes don't happen. Heck, go watch any NFL qb throw the ball and then go watch their tape from HS. You aren't going to see much if any difference in arm strength. Maybe they go from being able to launch a ball 60 yards instead of 55 yards, but there's nobody in the NFL throwing 60 yard bombs who could only heave it 40 yards in HS. None.

This is why accuracy is more important trait for a player but arm strength is often considered more valuable in a prospect, because you can improve accuracy more easily than you can change arm strength, so you go for the higher ceiling/lower floor player on the hopes that your coaching will improve his floor. However, when it comes time to choose which player on your roster becomes your starter, you will usually go with the more accurate, better decision maker.

TexHog188

• Touchdown Arkansas!
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2019, 02:14:00 pm »

I posted an interview with Leech from some time back on the topic of accuracy and arm strength as many on here were going on and on about arm strength and such. Hogville was arguing about who should start, with Kelley having the stronger arm and Storey not having enough arm strength.  Turns out it really didn't matter, neither was consistent or accurate enough to lead us to victory.  Leech said the following regarding where he places arm strength in regards to evaluating QB talent:

"The hosts then asked where arm strength fit into Leach’s evaluations. Keep this in mind as the NFL Draft dominates the national discussion over the next week.

“Nice to have. Not important…It’s among the least important qualities I look for in a quarterback, but it’s good to have just like being fast is good to have,” he said. “I do think no matter who you have you have to have a guy who can throw it crisply 50 yards because there’s a point where you can only protect so long. We figure we can justifiably protect 3-3.5 seconds and I don’t have any skill players, never coached one, that can run an 80-yard dash in 3.5 seconds. And then you look at vertical routes, fade routes you’re throwing on time, those things are 28-to-35 yards downfield, which then you have to add how far it is to the sideline it’s probably 40, 45 yards. There’s a point to where it’s only relevant on broken plays or emergencies. So it’s good to have in emergencies.”

Leach then explained, in typical Leach fashion, the one time it would pay to have a cannon-armed quarterback.

“Your quarterback holds the ball, or say he’s dumb, you’d rather not have a dumb quarterback and he holds the ball and it takes him a long time to sort it out, and finally there’s some guy 55 yards downfield and your offensive line manages to protect that long, it’s nice to know that he can hit him,” he said, “but your bigger problem is that he was dumb enough to hold it that long.” 

Don't think this was the original interview I posted, but if you want to listen to him discuss this you can find the interview here: http://footballscoop.com/news/mike-leach-shares-the-most-and-least-important-traits-he-looks-for-in-a-quarterback/

BTW he looks for accuracy first... either have it or you don't.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2019, 02:52:35 pm »

I posted an interview with Leech from some time back on the topic of accuracy and arm strength as many on here were going on and on about arm strength and such. Hogville was arguing about who should start, with Kelley having the stronger arm and Storey not having enough arm strength.  Turns out it really didn't matter, neither was consistent or accurate enough to lead us to victory.  Leech said the following regarding where he places arm strength in regards to evaluating QB talent:

"The hosts then asked where arm strength fit into Leach’s evaluations. Keep this in mind as the NFL Draft dominates the national discussion over the next week.

“Nice to have. Not important…It’s among the least important qualities I look for in a quarterback, but it’s good to have just like being fast is good to have,” he said. “I do think no matter who you have you have to have a guy who can throw it crisply 50 yards because there’s a point where you can only protect so long. We figure we can justifiably protect 3-3.5 seconds and I don’t have any skill players, never coached one, that can run an 80-yard dash in 3.5 seconds. And then you look at vertical routes, fade routes you’re throwing on time, those things are 28-to-35 yards downfield, which then you have to add how far it is to the sideline it’s probably 40, 45 yards. There’s a point to where it’s only relevant on broken plays or emergencies. So it’s good to have in emergencies.”

Leach then explained, in typical Leach fashion, the one time it would pay to have a cannon-armed quarterback.

“Your quarterback holds the ball, or say he’s dumb, you’d rather not have a dumb quarterback and he holds the ball and it takes him a long time to sort it out, and finally there’s some guy 55 yards downfield and your offensive line manages to protect that long, it’s nice to know that he can hit him,” he said, “but your bigger problem is that he was dumb enough to hold it that long.” 

Don't think this was the original interview I posted, but if you want to listen to him discuss this you can find the interview here: http://footballscoop.com/news/mike-leach-shares-the-most-and-least-important-traits-he-looks-for-in-a-quarterback/

BTW he looks for accuracy first... either have it or you don't.

I believe this post hits well on the difference between absolute and relative importance. I remember a debate while back with musk over whether athleticism or strength was more important for an OL player. He struggled with the very concept of absolute importance. I.e. absolute importance would be, which would you rather have: A 6'2" 350 pound body builder who is stiff as a board and quite slow at OL or a super athletic, quick as a cat 130 pound, 5'5" guy. Most would choose the former suggesting that strength and size are in fact the most important. Only once you assume a player has adequate size and strength can you argue that athleticism becomes more important, which I then would absolutely agree with.

I'd argue the same holds true for qb's and arm strength. Give me a qb who is super accurate, makes quick decisions, but literally can't throw the ball more than 10 yards downfield and a QB who can chunk it 70 yards downfield but is going to be off by as much as 20-30 degrees in aim, and I'm probably going to take the latter on the off chance that I can improve the accuracy to some usable level. Give me two qb's with at least adequate strength and accuracy, and yeah, rather go with the more accurate one.

However, it's absolutely crazy talk to me to say that arm strength is the least important thing and then turn around and say that it is a requirement to be able to throw the ball crisply 50 yards. That's like saying "How strong an alcohol is doesn't matter. It's much more about the taste and enjoyment. Now, I don't drink anything less than 40% alcohol by volume, but it's really all about the taste." Or... "The color of a car is the one of the least important features for me. Comfort and performance are where it is at. Now, I'll only drive cars that are in various shades of red. I won't drive anything that isn't a shade of red. "

Those features are no longer as important because you've already eliminated everything that doesn't have them as your primary filter. Once you have a QB who can crisply throw the ball 50 yards, you now have a qb who has at least minimum level NFL arm strength, eliminating 99% of any other options. So yeah, of course arm strength doesn't matter once you are ONLY looking at people with NFL minimum arms.

Sivad

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2019, 03:42:24 pm »

Eleven wins didn't just happen.  He's not only brought in quality players to run his offense but elevated the defensive side as well.

Great coach, intelligent, innovative football mind, a winner, personality plus and an excellent recruiter.
He would have been a wonderful fit here, provided excitement and won games.
AND he really wanted the Arkansas job.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2019, 05:42:07 pm »

All true, but those are the traits for his offense or for a QB in a throwing situation where everyone knows they are about to throw.  In many of the RPO schemes and the offenses that benefit from a dual threat QB, the accuracy isn't as important.  It is still desirable and success of that QB is increased proportional to his ability to throw accurately.  However, Lack of accuracy is compensated with big plays with their feet or caused by their ability to scramble and run. 

I disagree with this. Accuracy is always important whether it is 5 yard, 15 yard or 30 yard completions. You can make big plays or even good plays with your feet that keep the sticks moving, but a lack of accuracy can at least put you in a poor down & distance situation and worst case, result in more drive killing T/O's. We would love to have both accuracy and play making ability with your feet, but that doesn't always happen.

I'm going to side with Leach that I would prefer to have a guy who has  "good" arm strength, great feet, makes quality decisions about where to throw the ball and is very accurate. If he can then escape the pocket at times and make positive yards, that's great but I would rather see him be the guy that is unloading the ball in less than 3.5 seconds every time and with accuracy. JMO

Who do we have on our roster now or in the summer, who can exhibit those traits?

Biggus Piggus

• Escaped Journalist
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • What does not kill you makes you almost dead.
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2019, 05:46:43 pm »

Leach pointed out that there are a lot of successful NFL QB's that don't possess more than three of these traits. It will be interesting to see how many of these traits our QB's exhibit, especially the transfers who we have already seen play at other schools.

Leach is no genius. I figured out a while back that slow and inaccurate were bad. Unfortunately, I had to watch a lot of bad football to learn that.

PetrinoFan

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2019, 11:29:51 pm »

Anyone remember Mike Leach talking about aliens?

LZH

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2019, 04:32:38 am »

Anyone remember Mike Leach talking about aliens?

Yeah, didn't he spend an entire hour press conference on the subject of life on other planets?  What a hoot this guy is.

Having said that, he may be a damn good coach but Fayetteville probably wouldn't be a good fit for him.....and vice-versa.

TexHog188

• Touchdown Arkansas!
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2019, 11:04:45 am »

I disagree with this. Accuracy is always important whether it is 5 yard, 15 yard or 30 yard completions. You can make big plays or even good plays with your feet that keep the sticks moving, but a lack of accuracy can at least put you in a poor down & distance situation and worst case, result in more drive killing T/O's. We would love to have both accuracy and play making ability with your feet, but that doesn't always happen.

Don't know how many times I've seen a guy open in the flat and our QB throws over there, the receiver has to stop and adjust to the pass rather than catch it in stride.  The same is true on intermediate routes, crossing routes that if the receiver has to slow or reach back for the ball it disrupts his momentum and give the defense a chance to react.  Do even try to count the number of throws where the ball is badly thrown and our guy falls to the ground as soon as he catches it, allowing no YAC.  Man I hope those days are going to soon be behind us.  Please sign accurate QB's with good cognitive ability and decent pocket awareness with escape-ability.

MuskogeeHogFan

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2019, 05:19:52 pm »

Don't know how many times I've seen a guy open in the flat and our QB throws over there, the receiver has to stop and adjust to the pass rather than catch it in stride.  The same is true on intermediate routes, crossing routes that if the receiver has to slow or reach back for the ball it disrupts his momentum and give the defense a chance to react.  Do even try to count the number of throws where the ball is badly thrown and our guy falls to the ground as soon as he catches it, allowing no YAC.  Man I hope those days are going to soon be behind us.  Please sign accurate QB's with good cognitive ability and decent pocket awareness with escape-ability.

Agreed. Accuracy should be the first consideration but that decision and execution has to be done in 3-3.5 seconds or you will have to rely on a QB's ability to make exceptional throws while on the run. It's exciting when it is pulled off, less exciting when the QB doesn't possess that particular skillset at a high level and he throws behind or well in front of a receiver and it turns into a INT.

IAMHogholio

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2019, 07:31:05 am »

Love Leach.  Very underrated as a coach due to being hidden at a smaller PAC 10 skewl.

LZH

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2019, 08:55:03 am »

Accuracy can be coached, somewhat.  As a right hander, I always had to be careful throwing short crossing routes to the left (easy to throw behind the receiver).  I caught hell from our HC and OC because it was such an easy pass.  But, of all people, our offensive line coach took me off to the side and told me that as I stepped into the throw, open my front foot to my left more and quit thinking about the damn pass itself.  It sounds simple, but at the time I thought it was brilliant....it worked.  They never taught us that in football camps.

Even though these college QB coaches are sharp cookies and know what they're doing, sometimes it's a little thing like that which can really help a kid out.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2019, 12:55:08 pm »

Accuracy can be coached, somewhat.  As a right hander, I always had to be careful throwing short crossing routes to the left (easy to throw behind the receiver).  I caught hell from our HC and OC because it was such an easy pass.  But, of all people, our offensive line coach took me off to the side and told me that as I stepped into the throw, open my front foot to my left more and quit thinking about the damn pass itself.  It sounds simple, but at the time I thought it was brilliant....it worked.  They never taught us that in football camps.

Even though these college QB coaches are sharp cookies and know what they're doing, sometimes it's a little thing like that which can really help a kid out.

Wait, you were never taught that you aim where your foot is pointed except by the OL coach?

TNRazorbacker

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2019, 01:40:57 pm »

Like Coach Morris, behind him, think he was a good hire for us so this is not a knock on him, but...

Leach was my guy during the search. Was really hoping for him because he’d have been perfect here. I can watch his interviews for hours without getting bored. Just entertaining, first because he’s funny and a straight shooter, and more importantly because he knows a ton and has a way of breaking what he’s knows down into simple concepts, a key quality for any good teacher.

Thats why he can take a gutter program full of 2 and 3 star recruits and have them competing at the top of a P5 conference in a few years. He’s effective.

I also like that he calls the plays. Liked this about Petrino too. I just think when you are investing 3-4 million a year in a coach something tangible should come with that investment that is directly impactful to play. They should be a weapon. These guys cost too much money to just be figure heads and managers. 

Tejano Jawg

• Go Hogs! Hit that ball!
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2019, 02:55:22 pm »

Saying "accuracy" is number one doesn't mean it'll make up for a super slow QB, one that gets rattled easily, or has no arm strength at all. You figure all those other traits will be decent.

Benny mentioned something in his first post—what coaches believe. Coaches (especially NFL coaches) look for those measurables—big, strong, fast. Maybe they think "if we can change one thing, it might be that we can improve his accuracy." They can get starry eyed at the prospect, then their ego makes them think they can solve the player's problem or weakness. Sometimes they can.

Remember JaMarcus Russell? Great example of negatives outweighing the positives (size and strength).

LZH

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2019, 03:32:05 pm »

Wait, you were never taught that you aim where your foot is pointed except by the OL coach?

Not quite like that, but he sure helped.

hoglady

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2019, 06:15:58 pm »

That's a little unfair - the kid who was supposed to start for him in 2018 Tyler Hilinski committed suicide in January 2018. So he brought in grad transfer Gardner Minshew.
That was obviously a HUGE success.

You see tons of Hot Shot High school QB's - who just aren't that good once they get to college.
Look at all the 4 stars that have blown through Arkansas without producing a thing.

Leach has done a great job at Washington St.

TNRazorbacker

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2019, 07:06:45 pm »

That's a little unfair - the kid who was supposed to start for him in 2018 Tyler Hilinski committed suicide in January 2018. So he brought in grad transfer Gardner Minshew.
That was obviously a HUGE success.

You see tons of Hot Shot High school QB's - who just aren't that good once they get to college.
Look at all the 4 stars that have blown through Arkansas without producing a thing.

Leach has done a great job at Washington St.

Leach has done a great job everywhere he’s been. What has TTech done since he left- or before he was there?

Hoggish1

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2019, 09:20:05 am »

Sure if you like pirates and such...........he’s one of the least simple and straightforward coach speakers out there.

I do.

I understand what he's saying—very clear and precise.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas