• 10,303,597 Posts
• 408,311 Topics
• 23,335 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: With the news today adding to the crootin haul..  (Read 12859 times)

LZH

Re: With the news today adding to the crootin haul..
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2019, 05:40:11 am »

Although I wouldn't take it as far as he has, Formula Hog has made a good point.  There were some head-scratching decisions last year from our coaching staff.  That's why I've made the comment that Craddock may be too green for what he's being asked to do (and yes, I said 'may be').  Morris probably does call the plays, at least I'm sure every play is run by him beforehand.  But I was certainly disappointed in some of our offensive gaffs last year.

Maybe we were only calling plays that we thought would limit any major QB mistakes, I don't know.  But I am thankful that things like this can be corrected in fairly short order....especially now that we have Hicks plus two QB's on the way who can be real difference-makers (and one already on the team, but I expect him to eventually stick to baseball....he should, that's where his money is gonna be made).

But some of you guys are slipping into that Bielema-does-no-wrong mode.  Morris made some poor decisions last year....it happens.  So let's not gloss over some of our 'wth' moments from last season, because they were surely there.  However, this dude is not only a great recruiter, he's also a math major and that alone gives me confidence he is analytical and detail-oriented.  Jerry Jones jokes aside, we hired the best guy available (yes, I wanted Gus but now honestly believe we dodged a $50 million bullet...Morris' ceiling is much higher if you ask me).

I don't think for one minute that Chad is/has ignored any mistakes made by him or his staff last year...I'm positive that he's watched video over and over and has taken notes on what worked and what screwed the pooch.  There's no reason for me not to believe that we can wind up in Shreveport this December.  Bash Formula Hog if you wanna, he is going over the top imo.  But don't think you/we are any less Razorback fans if we point out what coulda/shoulda been done better last year.  Personally, I think we'll see a different team this fall.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2019, 05:45:13 am »

I will gladly eat any crow, and give the credit if it is due to him. Actually, I hope I am very wrong about CCM. But from the way he coached last season, it's gonna take more than some gimmick high school coaching job.

Chad Morris's best DB just ran a 4.61 at the combine. By the end of the year, a 3-star true freshman was the best WR on the roster. He had to add like 10 offensive linemen in this class.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

LZH

« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2019, 05:57:14 am »

Chad Morris's best DB just ran a 4.61 at the combine. By the end of the year, a 3-star true freshman was the best WR on the roster. He had to add like 10 offensive linemen in this class.

I still can't get my head around the idea that fat boy thought he could win in the fastest conference in college football by playing bigger, slower players.  Yeah, it is somewhat of a myth that the Big10 is full of corn-fed meatheads who can't run but can pull a plow like a mule.  Well, some of that might be the case, but there's guys in the Big10 who can run, too.....it ain't the 1970's.

His bs cost us two, maybe three recruiting cycles to get some speed back on this team.  I always thought Danny Ford's teams were slow compared to the rest of the SEC, but dammit....there were times under BB where we looked like we were running with twenty pound shoes on.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2019, 06:01:40 am »

I still can't get my head around the idea that fat boy thought he could win in the fastest conference in college football by playing bigger, slower players.  Yeah, it is somewhat of a myth that the Big10 is full of corn-fed meatheads who can't run but can pull a plow like a mule.  Well, some of that might be the case, but there's guys in the Big10 who can run, too.....it ain't the 1970's.

His bs cost us two, maybe three recruiting cycles to get some speed back on this team.  I always thought Danny Ford's teams were slow compared to the rest of the SEC, but dammit....there were times under BB where we looked like we were running with twenty pound shoes on.

Bielema won 4 games with a team hand built by him to run a slow down system. He graduates some of his best players, has a poor incoming class, and people expect Morris to be lights out season 1?

farmhawg

« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2019, 06:23:37 am »

I’m just wondering how many QB’s do we need?

Go HOGS Go!
As many as coach thinks he needs based on what he sees on the field.

lakecityhog

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2019, 06:43:11 am »

Although I wouldn't take it as far as he has, Formula Hog has made a good point.  There were some head-scratching decisions last year from our coaching staff.  That's why I've made the comment that Craddock may be too green for what he's being asked to do (and yes, I said 'may be').  Morris probably does call the plays, at least I'm sure every play is run by him beforehand.  But I was certainly disappointed in some of our offensive gaffs last year.

Maybe we were only calling plays that we thought would limit any major QB mistakes, I don't know.  But I am thankful that things like this can be corrected in fairly short order....especially now that we have Hicks plus two QB's on the way who can be real difference-makers (and one already on the team, but I expect him to eventually stick to baseball....he should, that's where his money is gonna be made).

But some of you guys are slipping into that Bielema-does-no-wrong mode.  Morris made some poor decisions last year....it happens.  So let's not gloss over some of our 'wth' moments from last season, because they were surely there.  However, this dude is not only a great recruiter, he's also a math major and that alone gives me confidence he is analytical and detail-oriented.  Jerry Jones jokes aside, we hired the best guy available (yes, I wanted Gus but now honestly believe we dodged a $50 million bullet...Morris' ceiling is much higher if you ask me).

I don't think for one minute that Chad is/has ignored any mistakes made by him or his staff last year...I'm positive that he's watched video over and over and has taken notes on what worked and what screwed the pooch.  There's no reason for me not to believe that we can wind up in Shreveport this December.  Bash Formula Hog if you wanna, he is going over the top imo.  But don't think you/we are any less Razorback fans if we point out what coulda/shoulda been done better last year.  Personally, I think we'll see a different team this fall.

Look, I am getting excited about the season, I do EVERY year in the Spring. I love the quality of athletes that he is bringing in. But, he has made several decisions that at the very least you would have to consider questionable. Do I think he is a 2-10 coach every year? No
Do I think he will lead us to the top 3 of the SEC West? MAYBE, but in order to do that he cannot keep making the same mistakes he made last year.
Allow the man his opinion, if he is wrong he should be man enough to come here and own it. If he is right? Then we are all screwed AGAIN!
I hope he is wrong.

Bacons Rebellion

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2019, 06:48:48 am »

Bash me all you want, but when CCM looks just as bad next season, no matter what players he gets, don't make excuses for him.

Ah, y'all might want to notice the pattern that formula hog doesn't care what CM does, he just cares how he "looks." F-h always posts that he "looks lost" or will "look bad" but never what he did wrong*. That generally goes with his original statement that "2-10 2-10."  That as deep as his argument is going to get.

*e.g., should have gone for it on 4th and 1 in Colorado.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The People’s Mod
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2019, 07:11:19 am »

I will gladly eat any crow, and give the credit if it is due to him. Actually, I hope I am very wrong about CCM. But from the way he coached last season, it's gonna take more than some gimmick high school coaching job.

So basically, you won’t give him credit after a successful season because you will tell us it wasn’t “due to him” whatever the hell that means.

BigSexyHog

« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2019, 07:29:09 am »

I was pretty hard on CCM especially after the Colorado St BS (that was pathetic) but I like what he and the other coaches have done over the off season.  They have got better at the following spots QB, WR, DL, and with the DB's plus they have more depth in the OL.  If the OL can improve you should see some really good things this year.  Not saying 8 or 9 wins but we should improve which is what we all want to see. 

psychhog

« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2019, 07:36:34 am »

Morris is just a high school coach who hasn’t coached high school in 10 years guys. He was an elite offensive coordinator at Tulsa and then Clemson (where his offenses worked some sec defenses while he was there) then took over SMU who was also in a bad spot and by year 3 had them the #13 offense in the country and competing against several ranked opponents that year. (After his staff decided to move a 3 star DB to WR where he turned him into an NFL talent and a WR transfer who didn’t do anything in the sec in 2 seasons at LSU and also turned him into NFL talent).

He suddenly lost his ability to coach and looked lost on the sideline this year after inheriting an extremely talent deficient team in the best division in the best conference in all of college football and only winning 2 games. Why didn’t we win 9 or 10? Because of his coaching decisions which I have trouble naming specifics but I can think of one in the 3rd game that I didn’t like and make sweeping statements about the rest of the season despite, again, being extremely deficient of overall talent compared to the rest of the conference.

As someone noted earlier our best DB ran a 4.6 forty. Lol I remember a couple years before we had a couple DB’s run 4.7. CBB left the cupboard pretty bare and Morris is working his butt off to turn this ship around. I’d say so far he’s at least bringing in some legit SEC talent. Give him a couple seasons to coach his own players that he’s brought in to build the program before you decide he’s lost his ability to coach and “looks like a high school coach”. Because his decade in college football suggest that he actually knows what he is doing at the college level.

Superhog1959

« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2019, 07:38:50 am »

I am ready to forget last year. It does look like we have improved in a lot of areas as far as new players. Getting Starkle cant be a bad thing. I am hoping to see visible improvement this year. All around, players and coaches. If we can win 6 games, I would be really satisfied.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Let me buy you lunch
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2019, 08:01:55 am »

What specific instances can you give us in which the credit would not be due to him?

Thanks.

azhog10

• Razorback Basketball on the rise!
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2019, 08:07:10 am »

Bielema won 4 games with a team hand built by him to run a slow down system. He graduates some of his best players, has a poor incoming class, and people expect Morris to be lights out season 1?
Didn't expect him to be lights out. I did expect us to be better on first down. We had to be one of the worst teams in NCAA on first down and maybe one of the worst in negative plays. Maybe not against top SEC talent, but we should have been better against some of the mediocre teams on our schedule.

pghawg1

« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2019, 08:08:56 am »

Say whatever you want, but if we have another 2-10 or 3-9 season, He will be out of excuses.
.  To me, YOU ARE LOST!!!!!!

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2019, 08:17:59 am »

Our QB just graduate transferred to Weetern Kentucky.  Our best DB ran a 4.61 at the combine.  Our offensive lineman at the combine outran our defensive lineman at the combine. 

We were slow,fat, and terrible at the receiver and QB position.  That is a hard combination for an spread offense coach to handle. 

Coaches look better and smarter when they have more talented and smarter players.  We’re going to be better at QB an receiver by a long shot this year.

PorkBilly

• Varsity
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2019, 08:41:34 am »

Well we all want to see improvement. So how does that happen in the quickest way?  Purge the negatism, purge the slow play, purge the players that are just phiscally unable to play in the SEC. Recruit every hour of every day. Find a capable leader to touch the ball on every offensive play (both physically and mentally). Get big, fast receivers on board to go get the ball. Rebuild a broken, slow defense. CMM has checked every box ....and then some. In addition, I think hiring Kenny Ingram was genius, regardless of what some question as a "big name". He determined that Memphis is a key area for recruiting, and hired one of the "biggest names" in Memphis football. That's how he rolls:  identify the problem(s), develop a plan to fix it, take action to support the plan. Someone recently posted all those who are now gone from the team in one year. I was shocked how quickly this renovation has occurred. I think we are going to see major improvement. I'm sure for some, it won't be enough, but let's give the guy some space. Except for a couple of momentary bright spots, Razorback football has been in a dark place for 25+ years. I wanna believe the light is on ahead of us.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2019, 08:51:19 am »

He is proving why he was hired.  He identified the weaknesses and is addressing them.  He is actively recruiting the surrounding states and we are actually winning some recruiting battles with high profile teams.  Short of someone like Saban, I don’t think there is anyone we could have hired who would be doing a better job at recruiting.

Now, we’re going to see if he can coach the guys he gets.  At the rate he is going, pretty much the entire team will be his guys after next year.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The People’s Mod
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2019, 08:55:16 am »

He is proving why he was hired.  He identified the weaknesses and is addressing them.  He is actively recruiting the surrounding states and we are actually winning some recruiting battles with high profile teams.  Short of someone like Saban, I don’t think there is anyone we could have hired who would be doing a better job at recruiting.

Now, we’re going to see if he can coach the guys he gets.  At the rate he is going, pretty much the entire team will be his guys after next year.

I agree.  I have my doubts about his coaching ability, but he has proven he can recruit.  The way he is working in the recruiting field he deserves the benefit of the doubt about last year.  I don't understand how some posters seem to be hoping he fails.  Its really strange. 

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2019, 09:01:40 am »

We’ve always wondered how you could recruit at Arkansas if we got an actual top flight recruiter who wasn’t lazy and who didn’t fall back on the “it’s so hard to recruit Arkansas” mantra.  And the answer looks like, we can recruit pretty dang good if we have someone who focuses on that.

We’re going to have to win some to maintain it, but you have to get the players before you can win.

I mean, we just signed a QB who threw for 499 yards in a bowl game.  Our QBs last year couldn’t have done that in an hour’s worth of shell drills.  The magnitude of the upgrade at that position can not be overstated.

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2019, 09:05:40 am »

And my point is that he looks like a high school coach in college on game day. One that loses a lot. Which he is and does.

oh gee, I wonder why he loses a lot. Maybe it's because he has taken over two HORRIBLE programs. It's not that hard to understand at all.

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2019, 09:07:33 am »

Why we picked this guy is beyond me

Seems like a lot is beyond you

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2019, 09:09:50 am »

It's crazy. How do people like this earn a living? Can't be doing anything too analytical, that's for sure.

justmakeit2thebcs

« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2019, 09:10:29 am »

He can recruit all he wants. He still don't know what he's doing on gameday. 2-10 is 2-10.
You are what your record says you are. 

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2019, 09:14:09 am »

You are what your record says you are. 

nope. context. use it.

InHognito

« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2019, 09:14:27 am »

Almost?!?!
There are a number of posters that come on here, usually only on days when the program gets good news (Starkel today), and just keep that needle prick going with the “2-10, can’t coach” mantra.

All they ever prove is that that’s all they can think of to say. They’re like a man who uses 20 curse words a minute due to only having a tiny vocabulary. In short, they’re so stupid they just can’t think of any other angles to take.

LOL. Completely ridiculous. Probably the worst analogy I've ever read on Hogville. Quite an achievement. So the guy that knows 20 curse words has a TINY vocabulary? LOL. Okay.

Do me a favor, rank the current SEC West coaches from top to bottom....where does Chad "the Savior" Morris rank?

The jury is still out on him

2-10 fellas. 2-10.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 09:30:13 am by PharmacistHog »

InHognito

« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2019, 09:30:17 am »

It's not easy to disagree with your sentiment. Results are results, but I can't figure out how you're not optimistic. Recruiting is highest level maybe ever and it's absolutely stunning how many Bielema kids he was able to get out of the door in one year.

I'll take this. Its easy for me not to get excited.

A. We just came off the worst season in school history.
B. Everyone talks about our "amazing" recruiting class which barely broke the Top25
C. We typically finish around #25 in recruiting, which is where we finished this year. What makes this class different? (I know, I know. BUT THE NUMBER OF 4 STARZZZZZ!!)
D. Despite our "best" ever recruiting class, we still finished 10th in the SEC and 6th of 7 in our own division in recruiting. We may yet again not beat a single team within our division in 2019.
E. Our best options at QB are washed up players from SMU and Texas A&M. That's how far we've fallen

Again, the jury is completely out on Morris. He may wind up being successful. To think he has somehow been successful here so far is as stupid as thinking he is a complete failure. Its pure comedy to see posters on here losing their minds defending CM and calling out people that think he is terrible. They are so ignorant that they dont even realize they are doing the exact same thing that they are crucifying others for. Its sad really.

STLhawg

« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2019, 09:32:16 am »

You guys can defend his record all you want. He looked lost on the sidelines in a lot of games this past season. That is a fact.
Well when your team is completely overwhelmed by the other team's SEC talent that can make a guy look lost.  Here is something I think proves our lack of talent issue last season and also suggest CM can coach.  Arkansas lost to UNT at home this past season, but CM's SMU team beat them the two seasons before that (so home and away).  To me that says a lot about the team we had last season.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The People’s Mod
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2019, 09:34:03 am »

I'll take this. Its easy for me not to get excited.

A. We just came off the worst season in school history.
B. Everyone talks about our "amazing" recruiting class which barely broke the Top25
C. We typically finish around #25 in recruiting, which is where we finished this year. What makes this class different? (I know, I know. BUT THE NUMBER OF 4 STARZZZZZ!!)
D. Despite our "best" ever recruiting class, we still finished 10th in the SEC and 6th of 7 in our own division in recruiting. We may yet again not beat a single team within our division in 2019.
E. Our best options at QB are washed up players from SMU and Texas A&M. That's how far we've fallen

Again, the jury is completely out on Morris. He may wind up being successful. To think he has somehow been successful here so far is as stupid as thinking he is a complete failure. Its pure comedy to see posters on here losing their minds defending CM and calling out people that think he is terrible. They are so ignorant that they dont even realize they are doing the exact same thing that they are crucifying others for. Its sad really.

You are exactly right about the jury still being out on Morris.  I don't know if he'll be a good coach or not.  As far as recruiting, the biggest difference that I see is not the ranking, its the schools we are beating out to get our recruits.  It really is different. 

Correct. 

E. Jackson picked us over LSU
J. Catalon picked us over Texas
G. Brooks picked us over MSU
T. Knox picked us over Ohio State
M. Cunningham picked us over Oklahoma
D. Bush picked us over Clemson
Z. Williams picked us over Texas
M. Soli picked us over Alabama
S. Nash picked us over Florida
E. Gregory picked us over Tennessee
kJ Jefferson picked us over Georgia
C. Clay picked us over Georgia
T. Burks picked us over everybody
H. Henry picked us over everybody

TNA? You damn right.

3Scoreand10

« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2019, 09:37:12 am »

You guys can defend his record all you want. He looked lost on the sidelines in a lot of games this past season. That is a fact.

Any coach would look lost with who was available to play.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2019, 09:37:26 am »

So, throw in either Hicks or Starkel last year and how many games do we win?  At least four and possibly five.

We had the worst QB situation in the country.  There were high school teams with more talent at the position than we had. 

3Scoreand10

« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2019, 09:45:46 am »

31 to 6 your wrong.

I am sick of losing. Sick of it. I want those kids to win.They deserve it, and WE deserve it. We spend a lot of money to be fans and supporters.

Why we picked this guy is beyond me. So many other good coaches that are proven WINNERS that could recruit just as good. Instead we got a loser from SMU.

Could you give us the names of those better coaches that would have come if offered?
The only one who turned down an offer was Gus and I thank God he did.

pghawg1

« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2019, 09:47:54 am »

What excites me is  I have hope for the future. With previous staff I had lost hope .

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2019, 09:48:44 am »

You are exactly right about the jury still being out on Morris.  I don't know if he'll be a good coach or not.  As far as recruiting, the biggest difference that I see is not the ranking, its the schools we are beating out to get our recruits.  It really is different. 

Some people only look at the class rank at the end (which has been jumbled and shuffled around a million times for no good reason) and pay no attention to the individual recruiting battles. This year's class was an unprecedented haul of talent in our worst year ever. That should make people stop and think about the quality of leadership and direction it takes to achieve that. This staff has something great brewing.

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2019, 09:50:25 am »

He can recruit all he wants. He still don't know what he's doing on gameday. 2-10 is 2-10.

I can just imagine what your teachers had to tell your parents on parent-teacher day,, I hate to break the news to you both,, but I don't care how much you make that boy of yours study, he's still going to be and idiot when he grows up.

InHognito

« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2019, 09:53:01 am »

Could you give us the names of those better coaches that would have come if offered?

I 100% agree there. Gus wouldve been worse than Morris. Full disclosure, I wasnt happy with the Morris hire at all because I thought (and still think) there were better coaches out there that we let slip by to take Morris. Still, Morris has surprised my expectations with his recruiting abilities, even though they havent surpassed what we typically get as a recruiting class at Arkansas. But the fact he was able to do so after a 2-10 season is notable.

Still, Gus wouldve been 1000% percent worse. If he can barely win at Auburn with all that talent, he would absolutely tank here.

justmakeit2thebcs

« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2019, 09:58:26 am »

Our QB just graduate transferred to Weetern Kentucky.  Our best DB ran a 4.61 at the combine.  Our offensive lineman at the combine outran our defensive lineman at the combine. 

We were slow,fat, and terrible at the receiver and QB position.  That is a hard combination for an spread offense coach to handle.

Coaches look better and smarter when they have more talented and smarter players.  We’re going to be better at QB an receiver by a long shot this year.
You discrediting players invited to the combine? Interesting.  Why does a an offensive guard outrunning a interior lineman by .08 even matter?    Ole Miss had tons of speed, MSU as well.   They went 5-11 in conference combined.  Good QB, great WRs.  A good coach works with what he has. He doen't make excuses, throw players under the bus.  He motivates rather than devides.   A good coach knows how fragile a team is when a new coaching staff comes in.  He should know how leadership from within the team is needed and how it works.  Yet Chad couldn't/wouldn't even choose a QB.  He treated the remaining players like step children from day 1, openly preferring his own recruits. Bielema haters will blame the players for not "buying in". Who buys anything from a salesman that tells the customer they don't know what they are doing (even if they don't)? No one does!...Chad should have sold Bret's players like he sells new recruits.  BTW, good recruits are comming, and Chad derserves all the credit for that.  But it remains to be seen whether or not he can mange/run a team in the SEC west the same way he he did HS in Texas.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Let me buy you lunch
« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2019, 10:03:29 am »

You discrediting players invited to the combine? Interesting.  Why does a an offensive guard outrunning a interior lineman by .08 even matter?    Ole Miss had tons of speed, MSU as well.   They went 5-11 in conference combined.  Good QB, great WRs.  A good coach works with what he has. He doen't make excuses, throw players under the bus.  He motivates rather than devides.   A good coach knows how fragile a team is when a new coaching staff comes in.  He should know how leadership from within the team is needed and how it works.  Yet Chad couldn't/wouldn't even choose a QB.  He treated the remaining players like step children from day 1, openly preferring his own recruits. Bielema haters will blame the players for not "buying in". Who buys anything from a salesman that tells the customer they don't know what they are doing (even if they don't)? No one does!...Chad should have sold Bret's players like he sells new recruits.  BTW, good recruits are comming, and Chad derserves all the credit for that.  But it remains to be seen whether or not he can mange/run a team in the SEC west the same way he he did HS in Texas.

Damn, you've got this down.

Why didn't you get into coaching and secure a few multi-million dollar contracts? Seems like you've got the inside track on it all.

Even a good carpenter with a beautiful vision in his head can only do so much if he's dealt dull and broken tools.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 10:14:34 am by RyanMallettsEgo »

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2019, 10:03:48 am »

Yet Chad couldn't/wouldn't even choose a QB.

I completely understand why he had a problem picking the QB. It's because we didn't have one.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2019, 10:04:59 am »

The only mistake Chad made was not cutting as many of the Bielema holdovers as he possibly could on day one.

PorkBilly

• Varsity
« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2019, 10:08:15 am »

I 100% agree there. Gus wouldve been worse than Morris. Full disclosure, I wasnt happy with the Morris hire at all because I thought (and still think) there were better coaches out there that we let slip by to take Morris. Still, Morris has surprised my expectations with his recruiting abilities, even though they havent surpassed what we typically get as a recruiting class at Arkansas. But the fact he was able to do so after a 2-10 season is notable.

Still, Gus wouldve been 1000% percent worse. If he can barely win at Auburn with all that talent, he would absolutely tank here.

WHO in your expert, unbiased, opinion would have been better that was available? WHO? I can’t wait to rip this up.

BaconTheSaddleAgain

« Reply #90 on: March 05, 2019, 10:14:18 am »

That's actually a textbook example of an opinion.

FutureMan

« Reply #91 on: March 05, 2019, 10:21:46 am »

My interest level has definitely been rejuvenated.  I'm excited for football again; which is something I haven't said in a long time. 

Kudos to Coach Morris and staff.  We see your effort and dedication, and we appreciate you doing everything you can to improve our beloved hogs.   

3Scoreand10

« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2019, 10:27:54 am »

Gus was never coming.  NEVER.
There may have been a better candidate out there if so much time and effort had not been wasted on Gus.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The People’s Mod
« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2019, 10:36:20 am »

WHO in your expert, unbiased, opinion would have been better that was available? WHO? I can’t wait to rip this up.

Norvell or the Pirate would have done better last season with the talent we had, BUT neither would recruit as well as Morris.  If he can coach these recruits, he will be the better hire in the long run.  Short term, I think either of those I mentioned would have done better the first couple years. 

HogsInaBlanket

• Varsity
« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2019, 10:46:27 am »

I'm happy with the recruiting, I hope it can continue. But for the caliber of competition, his game prep and coaching decisions looked so amateur last season. Some of the assistants are WAY over their heads.

although i understand to some degree where you are coming from, i think you are grossly under estimating the affect a serious talent difference makes in games. great players make coaches look better and bad players make coaches look worse. Jimmys/Joes>X&O's

justmakeit2thebcs

« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2019, 10:48:56 am »

Any coach making less than $5 mill a year that doesn't have a horrible record.

Mike Leach
Matt Campbell
Jeff Brohm
Mike Norvell
Dino Babers
Dana Holgorsen
Justin Fuente
PJ Fleck
Lane Kiffin
Charilie Strong
Mario Cristobal

Many more....

RyanMallettsEgo

• Let me buy you lunch
« Reply #96 on: March 05, 2019, 10:51:43 am »

Any coach making less than $5 mill a year that doesn't have a horrible record.

Mike Leach
Matt Campbell
Jeff Brohm
Mike Norvell
Dino Babers
Dana Holgorsen
Justin Fuente
PJ Fleck
Lane Kiffin
Charilie Strong
Mario Cristobal

Many more....

The dude who was 27-47 at FIU? llllllooooooollllll

You're gonna use Morris' head coaching record against him then put up this guy? llllllooooooolllllll

justmakeit2thebcs

« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2019, 10:53:01 am »

I completely understand why he had a problem picking the QB. It's because we didn't have one.
We played without a QB?  Did he wait because he thought a new one might appear out of thin air? 

justmakeit2thebcs

« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2019, 10:59:12 am »

nope. context. use it.
When does context become an excuse?  Did you use context when CBB lost his best RB, WR and CB for the year and went 4-8.  Not to mention his QB, LB and Ragnow for a good part of it? Nope?  I'm sure you didn't.   

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #99 on: March 05, 2019, 11:01:34 am »

We played without a QB?  Did he wait because he thought a new one might appear out of thin air? 

We might as well have. The QB shuffle makes a lot more sense in hindsight. They both stunk.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas