• 10,230,236 Posts
• 406,745 Topics
• 23,290 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: With the news today adding to the crootin haul..  (Read 12341 times)

3Scoreand10

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: With the news today adding to the crootin haul..
« Reply #150 on: March 05, 2019, 05:08:09 pm »

Any coach making less than $5 mill a year that doesn't have a horrible record.

Mike Leach
Matt Campbell
Jeff Brohm
Mike Norvell
Dino Babers
Dana Holgorsen
Justin Fuente
PJ Fleck
Lane Kiffin
Charilie Strong
Mario Cristobal

Many more....

And you KNOW any of these would have come and been more successful.
YOU really KNOW for a fact.

parallaxpig

• Hogvillian
  • Man that ball got outta here in a hurry.
« Reply #151 on: March 05, 2019, 05:14:40 pm »

Wildhog, he should have never gotten the job. We all know why he's there.

Please enlighten us on why he is here.......

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

sickboy

« Reply #152 on: March 05, 2019, 05:19:13 pm »

Any coach making less than $5 mill a year that doesn't have a horrible record.

Mike Leach
Matt Campbell
Jeff Brohm
Mike Norvell
Dino Babers
Dana Holgorsen
Justin Fuente
PJ Fleck
Lane Kiffin
Charilie Strong
Mario Cristobal

Many more....

You could probably plug all those guys in at Arkansas and they could turn out to be flops. Outside of two or three coaches in all of football, none of whom are on this list, there is no sure bet. People just get enamored with any name out there at a mid-level school who is winning and think it's just about hiring those guys and then winning happens. That's not how it works.

Look at LeBron James and the Los Angeles Lakers. They didn't even make the playoffs. Is LeBron the best player on the planet? Sure, but there's more to a basketball than just putting LeBron James on your team and expecting championships.

And if you think rinsing and repeating every 1-3 years is the answer, then I question if you're even capable of keeping a tomato plant alive in your back yard.

InHognito

« Reply #153 on: March 05, 2019, 05:38:51 pm »

Yeah dad gum it!

And if he don't snap the ball to himself better and then catch the balls he throws to himself better we're gonna fire him right quick. >:(

Good call. Completely ignore the rest of my post and bold the part it is easiest to make an argument against. Your mom must have been so proud of those 5th grade honor roll banners you got once upon a time.

InHognito

« Reply #154 on: March 05, 2019, 05:46:01 pm »

Tell us Nostradumbass. What is YOUR coaching record?

Ahhhhhh. The ole "show us your laurels!" argument. Gotta love Hogville.

This is the same argument Im sure you would concede to if the doctor at the hospital botched a surgery and took out the wrong kidney on you or your family.

I can hear the hospital lawyer now...."WELL HOW MANY SUCCESSFUL NEPHRECTOMIES HAVE YOU PERFOMRED??" to which Im sure you will dismiss your case and walk out of the courtroom, right?

jhogg

« Reply #155 on: March 05, 2019, 05:56:42 pm »

By some of your guys standards coach broyles should've been fired after his first year.  Since he lost his first six games at arkansas

InHognito

« Reply #156 on: March 05, 2019, 06:09:56 pm »

WHO in your expert, unbiased, opinion would have been better that was available? WHO? I can’t wait to rip this up.

There's at least a half dozen coaches that wouldve been an equally good or better hire in my opinion. This, of course, is totally up to debate and opinion-based, as there is no way to PROVE that other coaches would have been better. There is only speculation.

Matt Campbell (1st choice. He has Iowa State in the top25....IOWA STATE. Stands to reason he could do it here)
Mike Norvell (very successful at Memphis)
Jeff Brohm (Petrino disciple, successful considering he is at Purdue. Has Purdue in the top25 in recruiting (Yes, so does CCM here))
Mike Leach (very entertaining and successful at WSU (yes, had a rough first couple of years similar to CM))
Justin Fuente (Not sure he would have came, but would love to have had him)
Lane Kiffin (this wouldve been as risky as CM, but he won 10 games his first year and couldve been a "splash" hire)

Other than that, I had just as soon take the gamble on Morris, which we did. He has recruited well considering our circumstances. But again, the jury is out on whether he is a good college coach or a good hire for us. He left me with a ton of doubt on his game day coaching and decisions last year. Hopefully he can learn from some mistakes and make the best of all these 4 stars he accumulated this season.

Sow Lancelot

• Hogvillian
  • #NumquamDescedete!
« Reply #157 on: March 05, 2019, 07:47:30 pm »

Because CCM would’ve already sh*tcanned you if you were.
Ouch!

psychhog

« Reply #158 on: March 05, 2019, 07:55:38 pm »

There's at least a half dozen coaches that wouldve been an equally good or better hire in my opinion. This, of course, is totally up to debate and opinion-based, as there is no way to PROVE that other coaches would have been better. There is only speculation.

Matt Campbell (1st choice. He has Iowa State in the top25....IOWA STATE. Stands to reason he could do it here)
Jeff Brohm (Petrino disciple, successful considering he is at Purdue. Has Purdue in the top25 in recruiting (Yes, so does CCM here))
Mike Leach (very entertaining and successful at WSU (yes, had a rough first couple of years similar to CM))
Lane Kiffin (this wouldve been as risky as CM, but he won 10 games his first year and couldve been a "splash" hire)

Other than that, I had just as soon take the gamble on Morris, which we did. He has recruited well considering our circumstances. But again, the jury is out on whether he is a good college coach or a good hire for us. He left me with a ton of doubt on his game day coaching and decisions last year. Hopefully he can learn from some mistakes and make the best of all these 4 stars he accumulated this season.

That is a good assessment of the potential
Coaches for this job and pretty much the list of coaches that I wanted as well prior to the Morris hiring.

I’m Impressed with the recruiting of Morris and that he appears to have a blueprint of the caliber of players he feels we need here and they seem to be in line with what the other SEC coaches are aiming for as well as we have beaten many SEC teams for quite a few of the players he recruited in this class. He’s trying to essentially build off the Clemson model it appears as well and I’d say that’s pretty much the premiere team right now as they absolutely worked the bama team that has been at the pinnacle of college football for quite some time now. Not a bad program to model us after I’d say.

mhsbc59

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • "Cause thats how I Role"
« Reply #159 on: March 05, 2019, 07:58:15 pm »

As one of the few people on this board that have played college football be it at a lower level. And also go through a coaching change Midway through there career I do have some insight to how the players that have gone though the change on the hill feel.   As was stated by an earlier post Chad lost the team way before the season started and that is on the Coach Period.  If people want to praise recuiting ranking then the team last year should have been better.  CBB had experience some success with them while there.  The new guy comes in and from day one says they need a talent upgrade.  That is what was said out loud it's no telling what he told them behind closed doors.  Again I was in a very similar situation when I was in college.  Again just my perspective from have gone though something very similar.

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #160 on: March 05, 2019, 08:06:12 pm »

As one of the few people on this board that have played college football be it at a lower level. And also go through a coaching change Midway through there career I do have some insight to how the players that have gone though the change on the hill feel.   As was stated by an earlier post Chad lost the team way before the season started and that is on the Coach Period.  If people want to praise recuiting ranking then the team last year should have been better.  CBB had experience some success with them while there.  The new guy comes in and from day one says they need a talent upgrade.  That is what was said out loud it's no telling what he told them behind closed doors.  Again I was in a very similar situation when I was in college.  Again just my perspective from have gone though something very similar.
We did need a talent upgrade. Hence the 18 players that he’s processed. Sometimes the truth hurts. This is grown man football, not Pop Warner. If they had issues with anything he said, they should have manned up and proved their worth.

mhsbc59

• "Cause thats how I Role"
« Reply #161 on: March 05, 2019, 08:11:35 pm »

We did need a talent upgrade. Hence the 18 players that he’s processed. Sometimes the truth hurts. This is grown man football, not Pop Warner. If they had issues with anything he said, they should have manned up and proved their worth.

Easy to say when you have never been  in the same situation.  FYI I never lost my job or spot in the change still am in contact with my first college head coach never could stand the Second and the first was better by miles learn more from him than the latter

PS: The second was only there to pass the time and we all new that as well.  As a coach you can't fake till you make the players can see though that.  And it is also true coaches never care as much for the kids already there only about the ones they bring in at least that is my experience.

PorkBilly

• Varsity
« Reply #162 on: March 06, 2019, 06:06:49 am »

Easy to say when you have never been  in the same situation.  FYI I never lost my job or spot in the change still am in contact with my first college head coach never could stand the Second and the first was better by miles learn more from him than the latter

PS: The second was only there to pass the time and we all new that as well.  As a coach you can't fake till you make the players can see though that.  And it is also true coaches never care as much for the kids already there only about the ones they bring in at least that is my experience.
Appreciate your perspective. It’s real and what many of us outside the room are afraid is taking place. No different than a new boss coming in and “cleaning house” at work. How many times has CCM mentioned “culture change”. Since the previous culture appears to have been bad, let’s hope the new one results in winning. It is what it is.

Al Boarland

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #163 on: March 06, 2019, 06:38:44 am »

Any number of guys could be considered good hires. CM may turn out to be a good hire. It's all a roll of the dice. Most coaches don't work out. You can count on one hand the number of football coaches that meet the expectations of their fan base.

I think CM can get the program back to winning 8 games, but as soon as that happens many will be wanting him to take that next step. The bar is set so low right now people will consider a bowl game some kind of massive achievement when it's really not that hard to do with what should be the built in wins a typical SEC schedule provides. Although not intentional, last season went perfectly for CM. Anything over two wins shows improvement and fans get to blame it all on the previous staff and roster.

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #164 on: March 06, 2019, 09:48:10 am »

I love the cleaning house mentality. Worst era of Razorback football. Ever. Get that crap out of here as fast as possible, whatever that means.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #165 on: March 06, 2019, 10:30:12 am »

Yeah, that would be stupid.  Fortunately for all involved, he wasn't a student when he did it. 

I knew about his sexual exploits as a college student and I knew that he was accused of being an excessive gambler but the gambling part was never proven to be true. It was a rumor started by the Ole Miss people after he turned them down. It was stupid to disqualify him for those things.

RyanMallettsEgo

• Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
« Reply #166 on: March 06, 2019, 10:32:37 am »

I knew about his sexual exploits as a college student and I knew that he was accused of being an excessive gambler but the gambling part was never proven to be true. It was a rumor started by the Ole Miss people after he turned them down. It was stupid to disqualify him for those things.

So you think the folks or group who vetted him and who do it for a living decided to listen to a "rumor" started by Ole Miss fans rather than do their job?

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #167 on: March 06, 2019, 10:38:14 am »

So you think the folks or group who vetted him and who do it for a living decided to listen to a "rumor" started by Ole Miss fans rather than do their job?

I believe the Gambling accusations were just a cover excuse. The real reason he didn't get the job is because some on the hill had the mind set that if they couldn't get Gus, they were going to get a Gus clone and they got their man.

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #168 on: March 06, 2019, 10:39:12 am »

I believe the Gambling accusations were just a cover excuse. The real reason he didn't get the job is because some on the hill had the mind set that if they couldn't get Gus, they were going to get a Gus clone and they got their man.

IT'S BACK!

Wildhog

« Reply #169 on: March 06, 2019, 10:39:24 am »

That wasn't the reason, either.  Why do you think he's still at Memphis?

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #170 on: March 06, 2019, 10:43:04 am »

I don't see CM as a Gus clone at all. Not sure where people get that. Only similarity is that they were both good HS coaches.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #171 on: March 06, 2019, 10:43:22 am »

That wasn't the reason, either.  Why do you think he's still at Memphis?

Because there are some idiots in Fayetteville.

Look, I very much like Chad Morris and I really want him to have success but it's as plain as the nose on ones face why he got the Job. Heck, Gus even recommended the guy. It can't get more obvious than that.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Wildhog

« Reply #172 on: March 06, 2019, 10:45:18 am »

Look, I very much like Chad Morris and I really want him to have success but it's as plain as the nose on ones face why he got the Job. Heck, Gus even recommended the guy. It can't get more obvious than that.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

You think Morris got the job because GUS recommended him? 

This keeps getting better.

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #173 on: March 06, 2019, 10:48:55 am »

The only reason he's in Memphis is because of idiots in Fayetteville?

Why did no other P5 program hire him?

010HogFan

• I Got Dat Wood Coach
« Reply #174 on: March 06, 2019, 10:48:55 am »

He got the job because he has connections and is well respected in Texas. Smart as hell tbh.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #175 on: March 06, 2019, 10:48:55 am »

You think Morris got the job because GUS recommended him? 

This keeps getting better.

No, I believe he got the job because he's a Gus clone.

Wildhog

« Reply #176 on: March 06, 2019, 10:49:56 am »

No, I believe he got the job because he's a Gus clone.

Why do you think no other P5 school hired Norvell?

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #177 on: March 06, 2019, 10:52:52 am »

The only reason he's in Memphis is because of idiots in Fayetteville?

Why did no other P5 program hire him?

Ole Miss tried to but he wouldn't talk to them.

Tennessee was going to make him an offer but he told them not to bother.

He wanted the Arkansas job. If he couldn't get that job, he was content to stay in Memphis. The fact that he's making 3 million a year is a good reason too.

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #178 on: March 06, 2019, 10:53:55 am »

Ole Miss tried to be he wouldn't talk to them.

He wanted the Arkansas job. If he couldn't get that job, he was content to stay in Memphis. The fact that he's making 3 million a year is a good reason too.

Sounds like an idiot.

Wildhog

« Reply #179 on: March 06, 2019, 10:55:32 am »

Ah, so he's just hanging at Memphis, waiting for the Arkansas job.  Got it.

Grizzlyfan

« Reply #180 on: March 06, 2019, 10:57:36 am »

This also doesn't speak well to his critical thinking abilities.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #181 on: March 06, 2019, 10:57:41 am »

Sounds like an idiot.

Not at all. He knew what job he wanted and if he couldn't get that job, he was content to stay in Memphis for 3 Million a year plus perks.

Wildhog

« Reply #182 on: March 06, 2019, 10:58:43 am »

Not at all. He knew what job he wanted and if he couldn't get that job, he was content to stay in Memphis for 3 Million a year plus perks.

He makes 2.6M/year. 

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #183 on: March 06, 2019, 11:00:00 am »

Ah, so he's just hanging at Memphis, waiting for the Arkansas job.  Got it.

The Arkansas job is the only one he voluntarily applied for. He asked for an interview, they didn't ask him to interview.

UnknownNobody

« Reply #184 on: March 06, 2019, 11:00:10 am »

I don't see CM as a Gus clone at all. Not sure where people get that. Only similarity is that they were both good HS coaches.

Agreed, it comes from the story that Morris came to Arkansas so he could learn Gus' Offense which is wrong. Morris learned the HUNH from Gus and incorporated it into his Offense but the know nothings on this board won't hear that.

Match/Quarters explains it in detail:

"On the surface, the Malzahn and Morris systems look very similar (they do come from the same tree). Where Malzahn is more Slot-T, which relies heavily on gap plays (pulling guards/tackles – think Power/Counter) and the use of a running QB, the Morris system is more in line with other modern Spread offenses and bases out of zone schemes. Open up a Chad Morris playbook and the first play you are likely to see is a simple 20 personnel Inside Zone."

https://matchquarters.com/2018/12/01/the-morris-clemson-offensive-system/

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #185 on: March 06, 2019, 11:01:42 am »

He makes 2.6M/year. 

Link? It's my understanding that he was offered a raise to 3 million a year plus perks to stay in Memphis. That's what was said on the Sports Talk Radio Station in Memphis.

ricepig

« Reply #186 on: March 06, 2019, 11:02:51 am »

He makes 2.6M/year. 

Perks, dude, come on! Like limo rides to Tunica, his own craps table, and free drinks!

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #187 on: March 06, 2019, 11:03:26 am »

Maybe the girl of my dreams will break up with her boyfriend in 5 years and immediately come running to me, but for now I'm content staying with the 4th girl of my dreams.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The People’s Mod
« Reply #188 on: March 06, 2019, 11:08:03 am »

Perks, dude, come on! Like limo rides to Tunica, his own craps table, and free drinks!

Free samples at Memphis in May.  It wasn't "perks", it was "porks". 

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The People’s Mod
« Reply #189 on: March 06, 2019, 11:10:00 am »

Link? It's my understanding that he was offered a raise to 3 million a year plus perks to stay in Memphis. That's what was said on the Sports Talk Radio Station in Memphis.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/college/memphis-tigers/football/2018/12/05/memphis-tigers-football-assistant-coach-salary/2204570002/

RyanMallettsEgo

« Reply #190 on: March 06, 2019, 11:11:28 am »

ricepig

« Reply #191 on: March 06, 2019, 11:16:43 am »

Free samples at Memphis in May.  It wasn't "perks", it was "porks". 

Ah....now I know why he stayed in Memphis, probably will get to be a judge at the contest, worth the loss in salary.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #192 on: March 06, 2019, 11:18:18 am »

Agreed, it comes from the story that Morris came to Arkansas so he could learn Gus' Offense which is wrong. Morris learned the HUNH from Gus and incorporated it into his Offense but the know nothings on this board won't hear that.

"On the surface, the Malzahn and Morris systems look very similar (they do come from the same tree). Where Malzahn is more Slot-T, which relies heavily on gap plays (pulling guards/tackles – think Power/Counter) and the use of a running QB, the Morris system is more in line with other modern Spread offenses and bases out of zone schemes. Open up a Chad Morris playbook and the first play you are likely to see is a simple 20 personnel Inside Zone."

I very much like Chad Morris. The recruiting he and his staff have done this year is amazing and I badly want him to succeed. That would be the best thing that could happen to Razorback Football. It's time to let the past stay in the past and look toward the future.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The People’s Mod
« Reply #193 on: March 06, 2019, 11:18:42 am »

Ah....now I know why he stayed in Memphis, probably will get to be a judge at the contest, worth the loss in salary.

I heard he requested a new phone, too, with the best camera available. 

Wildhog

« Reply #194 on: March 06, 2019, 11:20:44 am »

I heard he requested a new phone, too, with the best camera available. 

:)

pigroots

« Reply #195 on: March 06, 2019, 12:37:29 pm »

You guys can defend his record all you want. He looked lost on the sidelines in a lot of games this past season. That is a fact.
True statement.....other side of that is when you are greatly overmatched talent wise thats the way it usually looks. He's attacking the problem the only way you can ...recruiting!

psychhog

« Reply #196 on: March 06, 2019, 12:39:55 pm »

Totally agree! He’s not a Gus clone or “Gus light” or whatever also he’s been called referring him to Gus somehow. Their offenses are no more “the same offense” as every other program running HUNH RPO. He learned the HUNH philosophy from Gus but other than that the Morris offense is his own and he’s run it pretty darn well at every place he’s been from high school and college. He’s certainly trying to bring in the right type of players for it here and I think he’ll be able to have success here as well.

Sed76

• Hogvillian
« Reply #197 on: March 06, 2019, 12:55:04 pm »

So, did we end up with Coach Morris because he is a "Gus Clone" and was recommended by the guy who stayed at Auburn or because he was Jerry Jones personal handpicked coach? Inquiring minds want to know.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The People’s Mod
« Reply #198 on: March 06, 2019, 01:04:59 pm »

So, did we end up with Coach Morris because he is a "Gus Clone" and was recommended by the guy who stayed at Auburn or because he was Jerry Jones personal handpicked coach? Inquiring minds want to know.

He interviewed as well as he recruits.  That's why he was hired. 

azhog10

• Razorback Basketball on the rise!
« Reply #199 on: March 06, 2019, 01:16:10 pm »

He interviewed as well as he recruits.  That's why he was hired.
Now if he could call plays as well as he recruits and interviews........
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas