• 10,330,877 Posts
• 408,953 Topics
• 23,359 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships will be this weekend  (Read 2548 times)

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever

I will be in Birmingham for both days of the Meet. I will provide updates in this thread for the Men's team although that won't take much effort. We will only have five chances to score in the Meet. We have two heptathletes, a triple jumper, and two relay teams. Yep, not a single Arkansas individual runner qualified. On the flip side I will have a separate thread for the Women in the Women Sports Forum. I hope you will check in there over the weekend. The Women are a heavy favorite to win and qualified 15 scoring chances. They have entries in almost every running event, a stable of pole vaulters, and both relay teams.

codeHog

Re: NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships will be this weekend
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 07:36:40 pm »

Did the AD see this? Does he know we need a change at Men's Track?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

limitless

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 08:20:30 pm »

JHicks3636, thanks for being our 'eyes.'  I live far from Arkansas now, so will appreciate the updates.  I really have no idea what Bucknam has in the hopper for future years, and I know this is a different era from when John coached.  Still, is there a bit of 'cruzin on a sunday afternoon' attitude after the contract extension? 

I ran for John BEFORE all the National Championships.  Still I saw our XC team go from 21st to 2nd and our Indoor team finish 2nd in my tenure.  Maybe the original building blocks.  John didn't EVER cruz.  Not in his DNA.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 08:48:35 pm »

That is really piss poor for the men

kodiakisland

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 11:20:51 pm »

Thanks for the updates.  Look forward to hearing of all the women's success.

razortrack

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 12:17:32 am »

JHicks3636, thanks for being our 'eyes.'  I live far from Arkansas now, so will appreciate the updates.  I really have no idea what Bucknam has in the hopper for future years, and I know this is a different era from when John coached.  Still, is there a bit of 'cruzin on a sunday afternoon' attitude after the contract extension? 

I ran for John BEFORE all the National Championships.  Still I saw our XC team go from 21st to 2nd and our Indoor team finish 2nd in my tenure.  Maybe the original building blocks.  John didn't EVER cruz.  Not in his DNA.
Hey fellow track Hog. Good post. Glad about the performance of the women, but the men need to step it up. Unacceptable for the menís track program. We should be the Alabama of track. Time to find someone that can recruit based on the history of our program.  We are Triple Crown U!!!!

pghawg1

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 08:37:31 am »

I hate it for menís track. We used to go go to these meets KNOWING WE WERE GOING WIN. Now we go just hopeing to finish in the top 10. To me, that is unexceptable. 

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The Peopleís Mod
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 08:41:37 am »

I hate it for menís track. We used to go go to these meets KNOWING WE WERE GOING WIN. Now we go just hopeing to finish in the top 10. To me, that is unexceptable. 

Hopefully this year is just an acception and next year will be more exceptable. 

oldhawg

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2019, 09:16:11 am »

Hopefully ---- or maybe we have seen a dynasty come and go.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 09:38:37 am »

You forgot the Oxford comma, dummy.   ::)

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 09:43:04 am »

Too late to be a one year exception. We were 13th last year with only 16 points.

Pudgepork

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Horse Racings most unlikely champ
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 11:32:10 am »

Thanks JHicks.   Coach McDonnell forced every other program to up their game to even be in contention.  The other programs met the challenge and Hogs failed to maintain. To stay so dominant is unreasonable but to be totally an also ran is not ok. 

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2019, 01:26:57 pm »

Iím just headed to Birmingham so Iíll miss most of the multi events for today. Iíll be there well before the individual events begin. After two events in the heptathlon Gabe Moore of Arkansas is on 1st place and Jacobus is in 7thRemember events for the Women are being posted in the Womenís forum.

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2019, 02:45:25 pm »

Moore has the longest throw in the shot put and remains in 1st place. Jacobus drops to 12th.

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2019, 04:08:40 pm »

I have arrived at the meet as the high jump portion of the heptathlon is going and some guy from Wisconsin is jumping out of his mind. Only entry still jumping.

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2019, 04:20:24 pm »

Gabe Moore finishes the 4th and final event of the day in first place. Amazing how packed the field is with only 179 points sepating 1st and 8th. Jacobus is in 11th.

Bacons Rebellion

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2019, 04:26:52 pm »

I am expecting live pbp of the 100 yard dash from JHicks.

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2019, 04:31:40 pm »

We have only one more event that involves the Arkansas Men tonight. The finals in the Distance Medley Relay at 9:02pm which is the last event of Day 1.

ICEman

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2019, 05:01:52 pm »

I am expecting live pbp of the 100 yard dash from JHicks.
I am on the edge of my seat in anticipation of the standing broad jump.

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2019, 09:21:07 pm »

In the Distance Medley Relay(DMR) Arkansas with a bad leadoff leg, better 2nd and 3rd legs, and our miler runs a nice leg as the Higs finish 6th for 3 points.

ICEman

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2019, 07:47:49 am »

Aside from the two in the multis, I donít think the menís team have a single athlete in any open running or field event. Meanwhile, the athletes weíve either run off or left on their own voilition (Igbokwe and Perinchief) are in prime position for scoring points.

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2019, 01:54:43 pm »

Back at Day2 of the Meet. Before I arrived they had the 5th event in the heptathlon. More was 3nd and maintained his 1st place overall in the event. They are now pole vaulting and Moore is still vaulting.

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2019, 02:23:24 pm »

Moore falls out of the lead after the pole vault. He will be by points going into the final event, the 1000meters which runs at 4 pm. He is 28 points behind. A tough pickup in the 1000 but doable. Two others are right behind him in points.

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2019, 04:06:03 pm »

Although Moore struggles in the 1000, he holds on to finish 2nd in the heptathlon to score 8 points. He was actually done in by the pole vault. Jacobus fails to place.

Mo_Better_Hogs

• All-American Hogvillian
  • DE FENSE!! DE FENSE!!
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2019, 04:49:10 pm »

Thanks JHicks.   Coach McDonnell forced every other program to up their game to even be in contention.  The other programs met the challenge and Hogs failed to maintain. To stay so dominant is unreasonable but to be totally an also ran is not ok. 

Well said!

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2019, 06:35:44 pm »

On thť triple jump, Nairn makes the finals but comes in 9th so he does not score.

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2019, 07:18:58 pm »

In the 4x400, Arkansas wins the first heat and finishes 4th overall for 5 points. The men score a total of 16 points and finish tied with Texas for 13th in the Meet.

TebowHater

• DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2019, 07:20:32 pm »

Houston finished second. Is their coach good? Any chance our AD would call up an old pal...?

HenduHog

• Razorbacks: Hostile and mobile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2019, 11:56:36 pm »

Nothing about the girls?

snoblind

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2019, 12:05:07 am »

Nothing about the girls?

They won.  Check women's sports forum.

JHicks3636

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • Razorback forever
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2019, 09:46:49 am »

Nothing about the girls?

Yep, I maintained a complete thread on them in the Womenís forum. They actually kept me busy posting results.

ICEman

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2019, 09:38:11 pm »

Houston finished second. Is their coach good? Any chance our AD would call up an old pal...?
That would be legendary sprinter and Houston Alum Leroy Burrell. Burrell can drive 30 minutes in any direction and find a bevy of 10.2 sec 100m, 20.5 sec 200m and 45 sec 400m high schoolers. I donít think a sprint only school is in our DNA.

TebowHater

• DMAC > teBLOW
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2019, 09:44:09 pm »

That would be legendary sprinter and Houston Alum Leroy Burrell. Burrell can drive 30 minutes in any direction and find a bevy of 10.2 sec 100m, 20.5 sec 200m and 45 sec 400m high schoolers. I donít think a sprint only school is in our DNA.

Gotcha, thanks for the post. Had no idea.

Seems like with his recruiting ties and our facilities/traditions it would only be even easier for him to recruit to Arkansas in track. Hire him a good distance coach and let him do his thing. Would also be hard to leave his alma mater but it would be for a job at the winningest program in the history of college sports who is about to renovate it's already top 3 indoor facility.

ICEman

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2019, 10:17:53 pm »

Gotcha, thanks for the post. Had no idea.

Seems like with his recruiting ties and our facilities/traditions it would only be even easier for him to recruit to Arkansas in track. Hire him a good distance coach and let him do his thing. Would also be hard to leave his alma mater but it would be for a job at the winningest program in the history of college sports who is about to renovate it's already top 3 indoor facility.
If we want to look SXSW for a different coach, I would suggest an alum of our own by the name of Edrick Florťal. He has plenty of head coaching experience and is currently at the helm of the Longhorns. Edrick landed perhaps the greatest highschool recruit since Jackie Joyner when he got highschool Olympian Sydney McLaughlin to matriculate to Kentucky out of New Jersey. So popular was she that Kentucky 5* roundballers were asking for her autograph.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2019, 12:04:33 pm »

does the men's program need a change in the head coach

tbhogfan

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2019, 10:57:55 am »

does the men's program need a change in the head coach
The coach they have is great at getting kids to run their best.  Unfortunately, there have been some very high profile recruiting whiffs and transfers recently.  Obi Igbokwe scored in the 200 and 400 at nationals for Houston.  I think that he has made some exceedingly questionable hires (and firings) at the field events coach by firing the legendary Dick Booth and hiring a multi-event coach.   Coach Booth went to Florida where he coached two time Olympic Triple Jump  Champion Christian Taylor and two-time silver medalist and also bronze medalist Will Claye, while Arkansas has floundered in multi-event mediocrity.  Arkansas has now hired another field event coach who was suspended and then fired as HC at Texas. 

My view is that there should be a change, and if we continue losing to North Dakota State at Nationals, there will be.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2019, 11:45:25 am »

The coach they have is great at getting kids to run their best.  Unfortunately, there have been some very high profile recruiting whiffs and transfers recently.  Obi Igbokwe scored in the 200 and 400 at nationals for Houston.  I think that he has made some exceedingly questionable hires (and firings) at the field events coach by firing the legendary Dick Booth and hiring a multi-event coach.   Coach Booth went to Florida where he coached two time Olympic Triple Jump  Champion Christian Taylor and two-time silver medalist and also bronze medalist Will Claye, while Arkansas has floundered in multi-event mediocrity.  Arkansas has now hired another field event coach who was suspended and then fired as HC at Texas. 

My view is that there should be a change, and if we continue losing to North Dakota State at Nationals, there will be.

thanks

ICEman

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2019, 07:21:21 pm »

To be fair, North Dakota State had a once in a generation Weight Man that scored all of their points. In regards to our own coach, he echoes an issue that has plagued our basketball program ... poor roster management. He seems to recruit towards that one banner year out four in lieu of consistency. Who knows when the next Jarrion Lawson, Omar McLeod, Kemoy Campbell (Godspeed to him), et. Al. merge to form the nucleus of our next Natty run.

tbhogfan

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2019, 03:53:54 pm »

To be fair, North Dakota State had a once in a generation Weight Man that scored all of their points. In regards to our own coach, he echoes an issue that has plagued our basketball program ... poor roster management. He seems to recruit towards that one banner year out four in lieu of consistency. Who knows when the next Jarrion Lawson, Omar McLeod, Kemoy Campbell (Godspeed to him), et. Al. merge to form the nucleus of our next Natty run.
Payton Otterdahl has grown into an amazing athlete.   He started his career throwing low to mid 50's and now has four of the top six shot puts all time in the NCAA.  His Freshman and Sophomore years, he didn't qualify for Indoor Nationals and finished mid 30's in the West Regional outdoors.  Last year he finished 10th outdoors in both the shot and discus.  Great kid and great story.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas