RB Sports Discussion > Monday Morning Quarterback

Starkel a Hog!!!

Pages: (1/2) > >>

UAGolfer1981:

The story continues in Fayetteville, Arkansas... "https://t.co/bO7TOXHaW6"(@NickStarkel)

hogwildinhotsprings:

WPS 🐗

alohawg:

Nice, competition is great.

TexHog188:

Does this make Fayetteville the new College Station North?   ;)

HY, RB, NS...

Great get.  Should solidify the QB position for the next 3-5 years (Hicks/Starkel, Starkel/Jefferson, Jefferson/Morris?/King?/Illingworth?

Dwight_K_Shrute:

WDP

goodguytex:

I'm just curious what everyone thinks here.... Of the 2, who is the better QB? Starkel or Hicks?? Because I honestly do not know.

Pork Ranger:

--- Quote from: goodguytex on March 04, 2019, 06:50:09 pm ---I'm just curious what everyone thinks here.... Of the 2, who is the better QB? Starkel or Hicks?? Because I honestly do not know.

--- End quote ---

Neither do any of us

emdavenp:

--- Quote from: goodguytex on March 04, 2019, 06:50:09 pm ---I'm just curious what everyone thinks here.... Of the 2, who is the better QB? Starkel or Hicks?? Because I honestly do not know.

--- End quote ---

Talent and ability? Starkel. Knowdlege of the playbook? Hicks. The battle will be fascinating to watch.

King Kong:

--- End quote ---

Most would say Starkel is more physically gift as far as Arm talent.

Hicks ainít bad in that Area either and knows the system

Porkys Revenge:

Great get. Now we need a linebacker and a RB and we can breathe easier.

The Kig:

Still Hicks to lose, since he has a huge head start on the playbook. 

Having said that, if Starkel or <insert name here> beat him out, then we are in for a real ride because that guy can ball. 

Having legitimate competitive depth is a huge jump from where we have been. 

Danny J:

Awesome news!!!

SooieGeneris:

--- Quote from: King Kong on March 04, 2019, 06:56:58 pm ---Most would say Starkel is more physically gift as far as Arm talent.

Hicks ainít bad in that Area either and knows the system

--- End quote ---

Agreed. I haven't seen a lot of tape on Starkel like I have Hicks. I did watch the Belk Bowl live when he passed for 499 yards with 4 TDs vs Wake Forest.

Some have said the QBs we had could have done as well as Hicks at SMU vs the same competition. They would be hard pressed to make that argument on Starkel.

Starkel was lighting up UCLA before he broke his ankle in the season opener in 2017 IIRC.

And if Hicks beats out Starkel, then it would stand to reason we have upgraded the QB position by a good margin. Especially considering the places where the departed QBs landed compared to this pair's other offers..

imtad16:

Good assessment of Starkel here from, oddly enough, an FSU perspective as they were excited about the possibility of landing him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz8Z21FyMxk

arkfan81:

How many qbs do we have now?

TexHog188:

Not really sure it matters whether Hicks or Starkel is starting.  Both have been starters and both lost their starting jobs at one point which tells me that both have holes in their game.  Regardless, both are better than what we lost and together they represent a major upgrade at QB.

I think Hicks is the favorite to start game one based on his knowledge and experience running THIS offense, but I don't think Starkel will sit much next season once we get to the games that matter.  At least we have legit competition now with two quality and experienced QBs.  The light at the end of the tunnel may not be a train after all.

Hogist:

Do we have a competent offensive line to block for him? Over the past few years, it's felt like it would take Mahomes in the backfield to avoid getting sacked...

I'm excited to see these talented new QBs in action. I'm just genuinely concerned.

psychhog:

I saw a thread recently questioning why we would bring him in if we got hicks already. This definitely helps us though as the QB position is extremely important in this offense and Morris is trying to increase competition. I think talent wise starkel is the better of the 2 but hicks knows this staff and the offense better and is already enrolled working with the current players. I think this will only improve play though and will be starkelís job to lose next year. Maybe gives KJ more time to develop and learn or push for the starting job next year. Either way this definitely increases competition for the job and weíre significantly improving in talent at the QB spot.

Cambridge Hog:

You need two starting-caliber qbs in the SEC. someone will get hurt and miss time. Much happier seeing Starkel coming in than a sophomore

goodguytex:

Much appreciate the replies to my question... After having read just this little bit about the 2 QBs, I'm going to predict Hicks and Starkel will get pt at QB this year, Hicks getting more snaps than Starkel. And Starkel will be the starter by his lonesome for 2020, with KJ and maybe Morris son competing for 2 spot behind Starkel.

My big question the next 2 years is will we have dependable receivers to catch the ball. I like our TEs, but receivers have been spotty at best.

I know we signed some good ones in the recent class, but how quickly they develop and become reliable is unknowable yet.

Other huge concern is our Oline. Again... We signed some, have some coming back from injury, but how quickly will they come together and keep our QBs from running for their lives before they even have a chance to throw the ball? I just don't know, but I hope we are better on our oline and receiver.

Boys being back at RB... That's going to be awesome I think. If he stays healthy.

jkstock04:

Excellent news here...look forward to seeing what these two guys can do. Gotta think Hicks will have a big leg up being here already though.

TexHog188:

I think the WR room is night and day to what it was.  We have real speed and size in quantity within that position group.  With SR QB's running the show I think we will be fine at WR.

My concern is the OL again.  Not sure how much we improved there but again I think Hicks knows where to go with the ball in this offense, so even a little improvement on the OL should pay off.

The_Bionic_Pig:

I am very much aware Starkel possesses NFL arm strength and velocity not seen here since Tarvaris Jackson.

What I am curious about is his touch on passes.  Can he pitch it in a bucket or Is his accuracy dictated by the savage straight-line momentum of the 🏈?

GARZRBACK78:

Great addition! It is obvious that Coach Morris has a lasting effect on these athletes as we know he coached Hicks at SMU and recruited Starkel out of hs. With the improvements on the ol, this could be really interesting.

farmhawg:

Got to enjoy how hard this staff recruits.

rzrbk4life:

Letís just hope CCM decides on a qb from day 1 and not play musical chairs all summer

oldman1015:

--- Quote from: Porkys Revenge on March 04, 2019, 06:58:41 pm ---Great get. Now we need a linebacker and a RB and we can breathe easier.

--- End quote ---
Do we have the same line?

East TN HAWG:

Morris is trying to fix things.  Give him that.  But can he coach? 

Porkys Revenge:

Sweet pic of Starkel and his fam. Looks like he knew from the get go he was a hog.

https://twitter.com/nickstarkel/status/1102721343651565569?s=21

DOGALUM:

Big get!   

How big of a bump would that give our recruiting class if it worked that way?  With Hicks too.

kodiakisland:

--- End quote ---

And that's why we have a coach....

kodiakisland:

--- Quote from: rzrbk4life on March 04, 2019, 07:50:25 pm ---Letís just hope CCM decides on a qb from day 1 and not play musical chairs all summer

--- End quote ---

That sounds like a good idea.  Just pick a guy and go with him, instead of trying to figure out what you've got.  Oh well, I guess it can't be any worse than 2-10.

theFlyingHog:

--- Quote from: East TN HAWG on March 04, 2019, 08:06:52 pm ---Morris is trying to fix things.  Give him that.  But can he coach?

--- End quote ---
We gon find out together. Together!!!

OS2 (SW) Razor Back:

1.WPS
2.GHG

OS2 (SW) Razor Back:

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm a lot more hopeful today than I was 2 months ago.

twistitup:

Don't forget Mr Jones

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oqAU5VxFWs

26.2Hog:

No way to spell Starkel without Star!

Mike Irwin:

I think they both will play. I also think that Jefferson will play in some non conference games. All other things being equal, coaches should always want to have an upperclassman starter at QB.

Let's say that Hicks starts this season while Starkel learns the offense and plays some. Next year Starkel starts and Jefferson plays some. Jefferson then starts in his third year with one of those a redshirt season.

It may not work out exactly that way but I figure it's Morris' plan.

dsf:

--- Quote from: TexHog188 on March 04, 2019, 06:43:02 pm ---Does this make Fayetteville the new College Station North?   ;)

HY, RB, NS...

Great get.  Should solidify the QB position for the next 3-5 years (Hicks/Starkel, Starkel/Jefferson, Jefferson/Morris?/King?/Illingworth?

--- End quote ---
I seriously doubt Jefferson beats out the Texas boys...

flagstaffhog:

Go HOGS Go!

imtad16:

Love that Starkel has played in some big-time atmospheres and has some success versus SEC teams. He has played @UCLA, VS Miss State, VS Auburn, @ Ole Miss, @LSU, VS Clemson (Albeit 1 snap; 2019), and @Bama (inserted late 7 for 11; 2019). He also has started a bowl game throwing 499 yards 4 TD 1 INT vs a pesky good Wake Forest. He has a lot more experience than some might realize.

The Hawgman:

--- Quote from: rzrbk4life on March 04, 2019, 07:50:25 pm ---Letís just hope CCM decides on a qb from day 1 and not play musical chairs all summer

--- End quote ---
This is big
Neither one will excel with 1/2 the reps

Hawgphat:

--- Quote from: East TN HAWG on March 04, 2019, 08:06:52 pm ---Morris is trying to fix things.  Give him that.  But can he coach?

--- End quote ---

I would opine that there are quite a few new rather highly rated players who believe that he can.  I'm pretty sure they're not coming to Arkansas in expectation of being severely limited by a coaching staff who cannot coach.  We'll see.

Pumbaa:

I think we will be in good hands no matter who wins the job. Thankful these 2 wanted to come in and help build and werenít afraid of competition.

MissippHog:

--- Quote from: goodguytex on March 04, 2019, 07:23:17 pm ---
My big question the next 2 years is will we have dependable receivers to catch the ball. I like our TEs, but receivers have been spotty at best.

--- End quote ---

Stoerner seems to like what he sees.
https://twitter.com/ClintStoerner/status/1101623931558076419

razortrack:

Congratulations young man

East TN HAWG:

--- Quote from: Hawgphat on March 04, 2019, 11:18:41 pm ---I would opine that there are quite a few new rather highly rated players who believe that he can.  I'm pretty sure they're not coming to Arkansas in expectation of being severely limited by a coaching staff who cannot coach.  We'll see.

--- End quote ---
Honestly, that is all that matters.  It does not matter what I or anyone else on this board believes.  The only thing that matters is if the coaching staff, players and recruits believe. 

Superhog1959:

I am excited about getting Starkel. I think it will be interesting. Hicks (knows Morris and his system) VS Starkel (Big time QB with SEC experience). The competition will be good to have and interesting to watch.

hawgtime:

--- Quote from: The Kig on March 04, 2019, 06:58:54 pm ---Still Hicks to lose, since he has a huge head start on the playbook. 

Having said that, if Starkel or <insert name here> beat him out, then we are in for a real ride because that guy can ball. 

Having legitimate competitive depth is a huge jump from where we have been. 

--- End quote ---

when can he start the play book?  is it too risky to give him access right now?

Superhog1959:

--- Quote from: hawgtime on March 05, 2019, 10:18:38 am ---when can he start the play book?  is it too risky to give him access right now?

--- End quote ---
I don't know, but if it was me, I would wait until he gets here.

Pages: (1/2) > >>

Go to full version