RB Sports Discussion > Monday Morning Quarterback

who else on current or incoming roster could play running back

Pages: (1/1)

oldfart:

or present group is kinda small...and injury prone

31to6:

--- Quote from: oldfart on March 02, 2019, 05:16:44 pm ---or present group is kinda small...and injury prone

--- End quote ---
True SEC Tailbacks? Not many.

But we have / will have some dudes who could line up in the backfield and run the ball. Hayden Johnson isn't dynamic enough to be a tailback, but he could line up and do some short yardage work possibly. He knows protections/blocking and he knows the QB/RB exchange.

Justice Hill and Treylon Burks both played every position on the field in high school, including QB and RB so while neither is a tailback, again they could take snaps.

Depth for guys who could line up and tote the rock 20+ times in a game is not great. Really we have Rakeem and Devwah. Chase Hayden flashes some real talent from time to time, but he seems to end up with too many stuffs and negative yardage plays. IDK anything about the WR they moved to RB for the spring.

HogJowler:

I think Spivey might deem a look. 👀 At least that is the reason we recruited him.

MuskogeeHogFan:

--- Quote from: 31to6 on March 02, 2019, 05:36:39 pm ---True SEC Tailbacks? Not many.

But we have / will have some dudes who could line up in the backfield and run the ball. Hayden Johnson isn't dynamic enough to be a tailback, but he could line up and do some short yardage work possibly. He knows protections/blocking and he knows the QB/RB exchange.

Justice Hill and Treylon Burks both played every position on the field in high school, including QB and RB so while neither is a tailback, again they could take snaps.

Depth for guys who could line up and tote the rock 20+ times in a game is not great. Really we have Rakeem and Devwah. Chase Hayden flashes some real talent from time to time, but he seems to end up with too many stuffs and negative yardage plays. IDK anything about the WR they moved to RB for the spring.

--- End quote ---

Curtis could develop into a really good RB, he has speed and moves and can return kicks as well. Go to 2:23 of this video to see some of his offensive skills.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/3916615/580e5d73688ec234fc9a021f

31to6:

--- Quote from: HogJowler on March 02, 2019, 06:48:51 pm ---I think Spivey might deem a look. 👀 At least that is the reason we recruited him.

--- End quote ---
Yes. Of course. Should have listed him with Devwah and Rakeem as a roster tailback.

31to6:

--- Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 02, 2019, 07:03:04 pm ---Curtis could develop into a really good RB, he has speed and moves and can return kicks as well. Go to 2:23 of this video to see some of his offensive skills.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/3916615/580e5d73688ec234fc9a021f

--- End quote ---
Nice. Thanks.

Looks like he is one of those with a smooth, kinda gliding stride that is deceptively fast.

The Hawgman:

--- Quote from: 31to6 on March 02, 2019, 09:24:22 pm ---Nice. Thanks.

Looks like he is one of those with a smooth, kinda gliding stride that is deceptively fast.

--- End quote ---
Totally agree
Has tremendous potential as RB

31to6:

--- Quote from: The Hawgman on March 02, 2019, 10:04:22 pm ---Totally agree
Has tremendous potential as RB

--- End quote ---
Would have liked to see more runs with contact. OL was blasting some big holes on those runs and it looked like he wasn't touched on those TDs.

But then he outran everyone on the field, so there is that :)

plumbhog:

Malik Chavis doubled as a running back and safety.

Bacons Rebellion:

Don't forget that the main problem with getting freshmen running backs on the field is their pass blocking.

LZH:

--- Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on March 03, 2019, 07:12:04 am ---Don't forget that the main problem with getting freshmen running backs on the field is their pass blocking.

--- End quote ---

Most guys don't wanna give that any weight.  "He's fast as hell, put him in and give him the damn ball!"

Of course, about the third time he gets the QB's dickstring knocked loose, then it will be "that kid only tries when he knows he's getting the ball!"

havok:

--- Quote from: plumbhog on March 03, 2019, 03:21:52 am ---Malik Chavis doubled as a running back and safety.

--- End quote ---

Malik is a little light..but I do recall a guy of about the same size (Fred Talley) being an effective RB in the SEC.  Might be a guy who could get some snaps at RB, to add a little depth. 

MuskogeeHogFan:

--- Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on March 03, 2019, 07:12:04 am ---Don't forget that the main problem with getting freshmen running backs on the field is their pass blocking.

--- End quote ---

That's one thing that I noticed in Curtis' video, he isn't afraid to step up and block for his QB. I have to assume that having started out on the D side of the ball, he has no problem with contact. But I do think that they need to put about 10-15 lbs on him between now and the fall.

Superhog1959:

I know this is pointless now, but I wish we still had Malik Williams. I really thought he had potential.

Bacons Rebellion:

--- Quote from: Superhog1959 on March 03, 2019, 09:56:06 am ---I know this is pointless now, but I wish we still had Malik Williams. I really thought he had potential.

--- End quote ---

I loved it every time he got the ball.

liljo:

--- Quote from: Superhog1959 on March 03, 2019, 09:56:06 am ---I know this is pointless now, but I wish we still had Malik Williams. I really thought he had potential.

--- End quote ---
I think there is near HV universal agreement on this. Itís a head scratcher I just quit scratching my head about.

TheRazorback500:

De'vion Warren played some RB in high school if I'm not mistaken. Hayden Johnson could help in short yardage.

plumbhog:

--- Quote from: havok on March 03, 2019, 08:43:17 am ---Malik is a little light..but I do recall a guy of about the same size (Fred Talley) being an effective RB in the SEC.  Might be a guy who could get some snaps at RB, to add a little depth. 

--- End quote ---
Yeah he needs to add a couple lbs, but I'm sure that's gonna be in the works anyway. But he does have 4.39 speed and back to back 1000 yard seasons as the #2 RB while starting as safety. The thing about Malik is he would play nose guard if that's where they wanted him.

oldfart:

i think maybe a workable grad transfer would be nice to have........ 

HogBreath:

--- Quote from: TheRazorback500 on March 03, 2019, 08:09:30 pm ---De'vion Warren played some RB in high school if I'm not mistaken. Hayden Johnson could help in short yardage.

--- End quote ---
Yep, Warren is the first one I thought of, who could possibly help out.

#1 STUNNA:

have heard that Burks will have a wildcat package from people close him.

Pages: (1/1)

Go to full version