• 10,270,280 Posts
• 407,561 Topics
• 23,311 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keep this linebacker's name in mind  (Read 8808 times)

nwahogfan1

Re: Keep this linebacker's name in mind
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2019, 09:59:20 am »

Clemson has 2 guys on their roster at LB listed under 230.. both at 225lbs
Unfortunately we are not Clemson so the argument is if we can only get speed or size then we want speed and I agree.  I do not care if you weigh only 220 if you have the athleticism/speed to find the ball and put a body on the ball carrier.  We must find those guys who can read QB eyes and find where he is throwing the ball and knock down the pass or get a PICK.  If you are 245 and not a great athlete then you will get there a half second too late and the Receiver is off to the races. 

So I agree if you only get one then go Get us athleticism/speed over size right now.  But if your really smart cookie then you can get your half a second back by reading eyes or reading the blocks to find the ball and make the play.   Like Lou Holtz used to say about SPEED.  If your really really fast but can not find the ball then your speed may be taking you away from the play instead towards to it.    But I say if your really really fast you may start out in the wrong direction but you can get back to making a play much better if you really really fast.  LOL

So combination of speed and smarts is best combination over size I think.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 10:10:44 am by nwahogfan1 »

diveplayon4thn20

« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2019, 11:47:45 am »

Of course everyone would like a roster with a LB corp 2 deep with 240+ lb players who run 4.5 but those caliber players are few and far between.

Also agree to have a championship caliber defense that you do need at least a couple players that are big, physical, and can play in the trash, even if they are situational players that a team must have in goalline packages, or when the other team is in grind it out burn the clock mode (Patriots in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl is a textbook example).

However, LBs that are smaller but can fly around sideline to sideline, cover well on passing plays, etc. are almost mandatory in today's college game with so many teams running some  variation of the HUNH spread. Tron could surely  contribute as an outside LB that fits this type of role for us, especially with our LB corp so thin. Scoota Harris  fits the role of the monster in the middle, too bad we don't  have another just like him to rotate in and keep fresh legs in the 4th qtr, although this can also be avoided by the D getting off the field of course.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 12:54:33 pm by diveplayon4thn20 »

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

twistitup

« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2019, 02:31:27 pm »

LB's over 220 are NOT rare....just rare at UofA

BTW many between 220-230 are just as fast as the 205 kid - simply taller and more durable.

diveplayon4thn20

« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2019, 06:21:53 pm »

Your punching at a strawman I think. I dont remember anyone on here who said LBs over 220 are rare, so your trying to refute an argument nobody is making. In addition, nobody has said that they would rather have a 205 pound LB over a 230 pound LB if both have identical speed and agility, of course you want the 230 pounder.  Also, which of our starting LBs this past season were under 220 lbs?  s

twistitup

« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2019, 07:30:11 pm »

Your punching at a strawman I think. I dont remember anyone on here who said LBs over 220 are rare, so your trying to refute an argument nobody is making. In addition, nobody has said that they would rather have a 205 pound LB over a 230 pound LB if both have identical speed and agility, of course you want the 230 pounder.  Also, which of our starting LBs this past season were under 220 lbs?  s

I said talented LB's over 220 are rare AT ARKANSAS

not an argument...a fact. We've had trouble recruiting LB's for years

diveplayon4thn20

« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2019, 09:58:05 pm »

I agree with you that the overall level of talent at LB has not been of the caliber needed to win big. Yes, we get the occasional Scoota Harris, Greenlaw, Spaight, but LB has been a problem area overall for years. The last coach that had some really good LB corps was Nutt.

King Kong

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2019, 09:40:44 am »

Pudgepork

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Horse Racings most unlikely champ
« Reply #107 on: March 10, 2019, 11:19:19 am »

We need 6 Quinton Caver types and 2 big mean middle linebackers

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #108 on: March 10, 2019, 01:24:51 pm »

I guess DeMarcus Ware's awards for the Pro Bowl etc should be revoked because he played at Troy in college.. a guy can either play or he can't. This guy can play! Maybe he is ticketed for nickel behind McClure instead of LB, but I would take him either way. Putting on a few lbs is not that big a problem.

diveplayon4thn20

« Reply #109 on: March 10, 2019, 02:23:33 pm »

Or for that matter, we should never recruit HS or JUCO players. Our roster should consist only of transfer players that have started at an SEC school, lol, since the HS players have only played against HS competition, and surely none of the incoming class will be able to contribute because of that line of reasoning...

twistitup

« Reply #110 on: March 10, 2019, 03:57:12 pm »

Putting on a few lbs is not that big a problem.

Historically, it's been a huge problem.

LZH

« Reply #111 on: March 10, 2019, 04:25:55 pm »

Go to YouTube and check out his HS Basketball highlights.  6'2" slamming down two handed dunks.  Athletic.

Hell, I'm 6'2" and was banging the bottom outta the rim by the 10th grade.  Can he run and tackle?....that's what i'm on.

ricepig

« Reply #112 on: March 10, 2019, 04:28:02 pm »

Hell, I'm 6'2" and was banging the bottom outta the rim by the 10th grade.  Can he run and tackle?....that's what i'm on.

The idea is to get the ball above the rim, but Iím sure your coach appreciated the effort.

LZH

« Reply #113 on: March 10, 2019, 05:30:50 pm »

The idea is to get the ball above the rim, but Iím sure your coach appreciated the effort.

Ha!  I actually didn't even play basketball......

But some white boys can jump.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas