RB Sports Discussion > Monday Morning Quarterback

Arkansas to open 2023 with Western Carolina

Pages: (1/1)

ricepig:

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2019/feb/20/arkansas-will-open-2023-season-western-carolina/

JackJohnson:

#1-0

Sivad:

More pitifulness.

RyanMallettsEgo:

--- Quote from: Sivad on February 20, 2019, 08:52:08 pm ---More pitifulness.

--- End quote ---

Who should we open with, and why?

Hawgey-Davidson:

--- Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 20, 2019, 10:10:43 pm ---Who should we open with, and why?

--- End quote ---
Good question

kodiakisland:

--- Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 20, 2019, 10:10:43 pm ---Who should we open with, and why?

--- End quote ---

A FBS school, because we are in the SEC, not the Sun Belt.

RyanMallettsEgo:

--- Quote from: kodiakisland on February 20, 2019, 11:22:14 pm ---A FBS school, because we are in the SEC, not the Sun Belt.

--- End quote ---

We aren't Clemson, Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Georgia et al. We need wins.

We also play BYU in 2023, so there's that.

Bacons Rebellion:

I like opening with a decent FCS school. Its better to get any problems exposed against Western Carolina than UCLA. Its good to open with a win.

The FCS school needs the money. The FCS players get to experience an SEC game. We get to play some deep reserves at the end, sometimes the only time they'll get on the field.

Last year Western Carolina was pretty bad, hopefully they'll improve by 2023. Playing a 2014 Nicholls State doesn't help much.

You could tell there was a good chance we were going to have a long year last year when we struggled to move the ball against Eastern Illinois in the first half. Kind of the same thing the year before when we bumbled around against Florida A&M.

SooieGeneris:

--- Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 20, 2019, 11:26:29 pm ---We aren't Clemson, Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Georgia et al. We need wins.

--- End quote ---

Alabama and LSU play teams like this, but according to some of our fans, we are supposed to play a non conference slate of ND, USC, OU and Ohio State along with 8 SEC foes and win them all.

If we somehow managed a 2-2 record against that, they would be whining, anything less it's "FIRE THE COACH!"

People want these brutal schedules in games that we can control + 8 SEC teams.. it's idiocy. Had we played a tougher schedule in 2018, we could have been 0-12.

Hogwild:

--- Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 20, 2019, 11:26:29 pm ---We aren't Clemson, Alabama, LSU, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Georgia et al. We need wins.

--- End quote ---

From 2018 through the 2023 schedule, half a dozen seasons, we will play at least 5 FCS schools & have just one home game against a P5 team  ::hornsdown::

HogPharmer:

I thought Western Carolina was called "Tennessee"?

ricepig:

--- Quote from: Hogwild on February 21, 2019, 02:05:12 pm ---From 2018 through the 2023 schedule, half a dozen seasons, we will play at least 5 FCS schools & have just one home game against a P5 team  ::hornsdown::

--- End quote ---

Those teams we play in the SEC aren't P5 teams?

Hogwild:

Since we joined the SEC, I believe the only OOC  home victory against a team from a power conference was against Texas in '03.

Our next shot is against Texas in 2021, if we don't win that one  or we are talking over 3 decades with just single home win against legit OOC competition.

hogcards:

--- Quote from: Hogwild on February 22, 2019, 08:56:20 am ---Since we joined the SEC, I believe the only OOC  home victory against a team from a power conference was against Texas in '03.

Our next shot is against Texas in 2021, if we don't win that one  or we are talking over 3 decades with just single home win against legit OOC competition.

--- End quote ---

That can't be accurate?

rzrbaxfan:

--- Quote from: hogcards on February 22, 2019, 10:10:50 am ---That can't be accurate?

--- End quote ---

Unfortunately it is....

For many years, we never scheduled a big time OOC game.  Boise St was as big time as we got!  Outside of that we have:

2004 Texas L
2006 USC L
2012 Rutgers L
2015 Texas Tech L
2017 TCU L

We played A&M from 2009-2011 as a high profile OOC game, but it was at a neutral site.

Your consolation prize is that we won at Texas, Texas Tech and TCU.

As a footnote, we did beat a ranked Tulsa team at home once under BP.

HogPharmer:

We haven't really played many OOC P5 teams since 2003... If you count the years we were considered the "home team" against TAMU in the SW Classic prior to them joining the SEC, you could say we won those games but I know those weren't true home games. Who else have we played at home since '03 at home? USC, TCU, Texas Tech, and Rutgers (can't remember what conference they were in when we played them)?

We still traded wins with TCU and TTech. That seems like a really bad stat but the part that is actually sad is losing at home to Rutgers and never forcing TTech to punt the ball in that loss...

Dwight_K_Shrute:

I think P5 should do away with FCS games altogether.  P5 is the de facto top tier of FBS.  You drop down one notch when playing G5 teams.  You are basically dropping down 2 when playing FCS.  And yes on occassion FCS teams rise up and beat a P5 but it's the exception not the rule and those FCS teams could probably easily be playing at the G5 level.

I know these games are a money lifeline for the FCS schools but the NCAA or even the P5 conferences with all their fat stacks should find a way to help the FCS teams replace that revenue.

One way would be for all these showcase and marquis neutral site games that take place at the beginning of the year to have double headers where FCS teams play at the same venue that weekend.

Now the one thing taking FCS schools out of the equation does is give more power to the G5's when scheduling OOC games with P5's because basic supply and demand you remove FCS decreases the supply of teams available and increases what G5's can ask for guarantee games.  This would actually be a bigger revenue windfall for the G5 teams than constantly harping about being left out of the playoffs. 

RyanMallettsEgo:

--- Quote from: rzrbaxfan on February 22, 2019, 10:23:56 am ---Unfortunately it is....

For many years, we never scheduled a big time OOC game.  Boise St was as big time as we got!  Outside of that we have:

2004 Texas L
2006 USC L
2012 Rutgers L
2015 Texas Tech L
2017 TCU L

We played A&M from 2009-2011 as a high profile OOC game, but it was at a neutral site.

Your consolation prize is that we won at Texas, Texas Tech and TCU.

As a footnote, we did beat a ranked Tulsa team at home once under BP.

--- End quote ---

Yeah I'm gonna stay signed up for the tune-up (usually) automatic win game.

We play in the SEC West. Our schedule is gonna be brutal anyway. The East seems to be getting better. We have Tennessee and Georgia rotating on in the next couple years. No need to make it more difficult.

And don't come at me with the "Wuh wuh wull Bama and LSU play so and so." Yes they do. And when we sustain Bama and LSU levels, I would be more inclined to do that as well.

HogPharmer:

--- Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 22, 2019, 12:14:56 pm ---Yeah I'm gonna stay signed up for the tune-up (usually) automatic win game.

We play in the SEC West. Our schedule is gonna be brutal anyway. The East seems to be getting better. We have Tennessee and Georgia rotating on in the next couple years. No need to make it more difficult.

And don't come at me with the "Wuh wuh wull Bama and LSU play so and so." Yes they do. And when we sustain Bama and LSU levels, I would be more inclined to do that as well.

--- End quote ---

Too bad we didn't get Louisville last season in place of N. Texas... Maybe we could've won that one.

Probably not though

RyanMallettsEgo:

--- Quote from: HogPharmer on February 22, 2019, 12:37:41 pm ---Too bad we didn't get Louisville last season in place of N. Texas... Maybe we could've won that one.

Probably not though

--- End quote ---

If we ever played a Bobby P. team, I think I'd have to stay away from this place for about a month.

HogPharmer:

--- Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 22, 2019, 12:41:36 pm ---If we ever played a Bobby P. team, I think I'd have to stay away from this place for about a month.

--- End quote ---

True. No matter which way the game went, both factions on each side would be absolutely unbearable after the game.

woodhog14:

Man, our fans kill me. Complaining about playing an FCS school like we're the only team that does it. Jesus, every one plays an FCS school in the SEC EVERY YEAR.

Bama:
2019 - Western Carolina
2020 - UT Martin
2021- Mercer

Florida:
2019 - UT Martin
2020 - Eastern Washington
2021 - Samford

Georgia:
2019 - Murray State
2020 - ETSU

Kentucky:
2019 - UT Martin
2020 - Eastern Illinois
2021 - UT Chattanooga
2022 - Youngstown St.

Missouri:
2019 - SEMO
2020 - UCA
2021 - SEMO
2022 - South Dakota
2023 - SEMO
2024 - Murray St.
2025 - North Dakota

South Carolina:
2019 - Charleston Southern
2020 - Coastal Carolina
2022 - Wofford

Vandy:
2019 - ETSU
2020 - Mercer
2021 - ETSU

Auburn:
2019 - Samford
2020 - Alabama A&M
2021 - Alabama State
2022 - Mercer

LSU:
2019 - Northwestern St.
2020 - Nicholls St.
2021 - McNeese St.

State:
2019 - Abilene Christian
2020 - Alabama A&M
2021 - Eastern Illinois
2022 - Northwestern St.
2023 - Southeastern Louisiana
2024 - EKU
2025 - Alcorn St.

Ole Miss:
2019 - Southeastern Louisiana
2020- SEMO
2021 - Austin Peay
2022 - UCA
2023 - Mercer
2024 - Furman
2025 - The Citadel
2026 - EKU

Love how Arkansas fans live in their own little bubble.

RyanMallettsEgo:

--- Quote from: HogPharmer on February 22, 2019, 12:44:48 pm ---True. No matter which way the game went, both factions on each side would be absolutely unbearable after the game.

--- End quote ---

Now, imagine this: We play a Bobby P. team in...

Little Rock

HogPharmer:

--- Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 22, 2019, 12:50:23 pm ---Now, imagine this: We play a Bobby P. team in...

Little Rock

--- End quote ---

You went all "Gus Clone" on me there...

WizardofhOgZ:

--- Quote from: Hogwild on February 22, 2019, 08:56:20 am ---Since we joined the SEC, I believe the only OOC  home victory against a team from a power conference was against Texas in '03.

--- End quote ---

We played and beat Texas in 2003, but it wasn't at home; it was in Austin.  They came back to Fayetteville the next season and beat us in a close game.

I will also add this; people are always complaining when we do schedule a "breather" against a FCS team.  But over the years, we've almost always included a "significant" client in our non-conference mix.  The only exceptions have come when there has been some sort of late schedule change that has forced us to backfill with limited options.

We've had USC, Texas (twice), TCU, and Texas Tech on a home and home basis (Texas still owes us our home game, which will come in 2021).  As noted, we did play the Aggies 3 times before they jumped the fence into the SEC, and then we also played Boise State (twice) and USF in times when those teams were much, much better than most of the country (and our own fans) realized.  The year we played USF (2002), their ONLY other loss was to #2 OU.  We played Boise twice (both times in Arkansas), and their combined records for those season was 22-3 (two of the losses were to us).  When you combine that with an SEC West schedule - ANY SEC West schedule, ANY year - that's plenty to say grace over. 

Over the years, our aggregate schedule has been as difficult as any team in the country.

http://forums.hogville.net/index.php?topic=481073.msg7233099#msg7233099

That article references the 2003-2010 seasons.  Hasn't gotten any easier since then, according to the FEI numbers.

Jean-Luc Pigard:

--- Quote from: woodhog14 on February 22, 2019, 12:46:04 pm ---Man, our fans kill me. Complaining about playing an FCS school like we're the only team that does it. Jesus, every one plays an FCS school in the SEC EVERY YEAR.

--- End quote ---

Not to mention, teams like Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, and Florida often play their FCS game the 3rd week of November.  They basically schedule themselves a bye going into rivalry week.  And the SEC allows it by not scheduling a conference game for them during those weeks.  We always are scheduled a conference game that weekend.

At least our FCS games are in September, often the first or second game of the season.  I'm fine with those games as a tuneup.  Until the rest of college football stops scheduling FCS, we should keep doing it.

rzrbaxfan:

--- Quote from: woodhog14 on February 22, 2019, 12:46:04 pm ---Man, our fans kill me. Complaining about playing an FCS school like we're the only team that does it. Jesus, every one plays an FCS school in the SEC EVERY YEAR.

Bama:
2019 - Western Carolina
2020 - UT Martin
2021- Mercer

Auburn:
2019 - Samford
2020 - Alabama A&M
2021 - Alabama State
2022 - Mercer

--- End quote ---

It always irritates me how these games are always scheduled before their matchup with each other. We make such a fuss about tuneup games as openers and yet some get that tune up game prior to their big rivalry game deep into the season.  I know the trade-off is that they usually play a decent OOC game early in the season, but it still feels cheap to me that they play an inferior opponent the week before the season finale against their biggest rival.

HogPharmer:

--- Quote from: rzrbaxfan on February 25, 2019, 08:25:30 am ---It always irritates me how these games are always scheduled before their matchup with each other. We make such a fuss about tuneup games as openers and yet some get that tune up game prior to their big rivalry game deep into the season.  I know the trade-off is that they usually play a decent OOC game early in the season, but it still feels cheap to me that they play an inferior opponent the week before the season finale against their biggest rival.

--- End quote ---

Well if they both do it then couldn't you argue that it's essentially a wash? If it's an advantage for one, how could it not be an advantage for the other? It is what it is and if we were either of those schools, and knew that game could likely have Division championship implications (i.e. SEC Championship implications, i.e. playoff implications) every year, wouldn't you want to make sure we played an opponent like Mercer the week prior to said game?

rzrbaxfan:

--- Quote from: HogPharmer on February 25, 2019, 01:06:18 pm ---Well if they both do it then couldn't you argue that it's essentially a wash? If it's an advantage for one, how could it not be an advantage for the other? It is what it is and if we were either of those schools, and knew that game could likely have Division championship implications (i.e. SEC Championship implications, i.e. playoff implications) every year, wouldn't you want to make sure we played an opponent like Mercer the week prior to said game?

--- End quote ---

It's maybe a wash for each of them, but it doesn't shape up that way for the rest of us.  Let's compare the week before Bama for the past 5 years.

LSU: Bye...they play no one the week before bama.
Auburn: Samford, Idaho, Alabama A&M, La-Monrone, Liberty

To contrast...
Tennessee:  Auburn (ranked), S Carolina, A&M (ranked), bye, Ole Miss (ranked)
A&M: Ole Miss (ranked), MSU (ranked), Tenn (ranked), S Carolina, La-Monroe
Ark: A&M, S Carolina, Alcorn St, Tennessee, A&M

It seems like every dog gets a bone thrown their way every now and then, while LSU and Auburn get the bone still attached to the steak guaranteed every year.  Granted, who you play the week before you play Bama isn't the determining factor in how well you play against Bama, but the schedule makers do seem to make the pre-bama week a little easier for some more than others.

HogPharmer:

--- Quote from: rzrbaxfan on February 25, 2019, 02:22:27 pm ---It's maybe a wash for each of them, but it doesn't shape up that way for the rest of us.  Let's compare the week before Bama for the past 5 years.

LSU: Bye...they play no one the week before bama.
Auburn: Samford, Idaho, Alabama A&M, La-Monrone, Liberty

To contrast...
Tennessee:  Auburn (ranked), S Carolina, A&M (ranked), bye, Ole Miss (ranked)
A&M: Ole Miss (ranked), MSU (ranked), Tenn (ranked), S Carolina, La-Monroe
Ark: A&M, S Carolina, Alcorn St, Tennessee, A&M

It seems like every dog gets a bone thrown their way every now and then, while LSU and Auburn get the bone still attached to the steak guaranteed every year.  Granted, who you play the week before you play Bama isn't the determining factor in how well you play against Bama, but the schedule makers do seem to make the pre-bama week a little easier for some more than others.

--- End quote ---

You can play that the other way too... How many teams did we play last season the week after they played Bama?

TAMU
LSU
Miss State

Can't ask for much more favoring in the schedule than that.

rzrbaxfan:

--- Quote from: HogPharmer on February 25, 2019, 02:29:09 pm ---You can play that the other way too... How many teams did we play last season the week after they played Bama?

TAMU
LSU
Miss State

Can't ask for much more favoring in the schedule than that.

--- End quote ---

How many did we play in the 4 years prior to this year?  Is that a trend that we get often?

I guess my point is that the planets line up once every now and then for something favorable for everyone, but for Bama, LSU, and Auburn, there is something favorable baked into their schedule every year.

Boardon Hamsay:

--- Quote from: Sivad on February 20, 2019, 08:52:08 pm ---More pitifulness.

--- End quote ---

Should we have scheduled the Patriots? Steelers? Chiefs? How should we define “expectations management”?

ChicoHog:

--- Quote from: SooieGeneris on February 21, 2019, 01:49:22 pm ---Alabama and LSU play teams like this, but according to some of our fans, we are supposed to play a non conference slate of ND, USC, OU and Ohio State along with 8 SEC foes and win them all.

If we somehow managed a 2-2 record against that, they would be whining, anything less it's "FIRE THE COACH!"

People want these brutal schedules in games that we can control + 8 SEC teams.. it's idiocy. Had we played a tougher schedule in 2018, we could have been 0-12.

--- End quote ---
No, what I want is to play 9 conf games, 1 Power 5 OOC game, and 2 games against non power 5 teams like AAC, Sun Belt, Mountain West, etc.,  I certainly don't want to watch any SEC team play a FCS school even though we need the wins.  At least it's the opening game and not in November like Bama, UF, Auburn, and many others do. 

liljo:

--- Quote from: SooieGeneris on February 21, 2019, 01:49:22 pm ---Alabama and LSU play teams like this, but according to some of our fans, we are supposed to play a non conference slate of ND, USC, OU and Ohio State along with 8 SEC foes and win them all.

--- End quote ---
Sadly, I sense a lot of truth here. 

oldhawg:

--- Quote from: ChicoHog on February 25, 2019, 10:10:29 pm ---No, what I want is to play 9 conf games, 1 Power 5 OOC game, and 2 games against non power 5 teams like AAC, Sun Belt, Mountain West, etc.,  I certainly don't want to watch any SEC team play a FCS school even though we need the wins.  At least it's the opening game and not in November like Bama, UF, Auburn, and many others do. 

--- End quote ---

Instead of playing 1 power 5 OOC game, why not just play 10 conference games and 2 OOC games against non power 5 (or FCS) schools?  SEC is supposed to be the "best."  This way you have best against the best.  SEC Championship game could be a rematch, but it has happened before.

HogPharmer:

--- Quote from: oldhawg on February 26, 2019, 10:06:11 am ---Instead of playing 1 power 5 OOC game, why not just play 10 conference games and 2 OOC games against non power 5 (or FCS) schools?  SEC is supposed to be the "best."  This way you have best against the best.  SEC Championship game could be a rematch, but it has happened before.

--- End quote ---

Why not just play 12 SEC games?

oldhawg:

--- Quote from: HogPharmer on February 26, 2019, 10:37:34 am ---Why not just play 12 SEC games?

--- End quote ---

I would be good with that, but usually I am in the minority with my opinions.

ChicoHog:

--- Quote from: oldhawg on February 26, 2019, 10:06:11 am ---Instead of playing 1 power 5 OOC game, why not just play 10 conference games and 2 OOC games against non power 5 (or FCS) schools?  SEC is supposed to be the "best."  This way you have best against the best.  SEC Championship game could be a rematch, but it has happened before.

--- End quote ---
That would be ok but I love the inter-sectional games.  I want to see Auburn/Washington home and home.  Penn St/Alabama home and home.  Arkansas/Notre Dame home and home.  that's good for college football fans.  Not Alabama playing the Citadel or Arkansas playing Western Carolina.  And no more neutral site games.  Play home and home so the fans get see different teams from across the country. In a perfect world each conference would have 10 teams and everyone plays everyone so schedules are even within the conference.  Then 3 OOC games, one of which is a Power 5 team and the other two can be non power 5.  We need a college football commissioner to step in and force the teams to play tougher and more equal type schedules. 

RyanMallettsEgo:

--- Quote from: ChicoHog on February 26, 2019, 10:46:24 am ---That would be ok but I love the inter-sectional games.  I want to see Auburn/Washington home and home.  Penn St/Alabama home and home.  Arkansas/Notre Dame home and home.  that's good for college football fans.  Not Alabama playing the Citadel or Arkansas playing Western Carolina.  And no more neutral site games.  Play home and home so the fans get see different teams from across the country. In a perfect world each conference would have 10 teams and everyone plays everyone so schedules are even within the conference.  Then 3 OOC games, one of which is a Power 5 team and the other two can be non power 5.  We need a college football commissioner to step in and force the teams to play tougher and more equal type schedules.

--- End quote ---

I mean I get the sentiment behind this, but what gets me excited is seeing more wins in the win column rather than a loss to an OOC P5 team.

Al Boarland:

We need to follow the MS St model and pad as many wins as we can against scrub teams. It gives the perception your program is stronger than it is. Sometimes perception is all you need.

ChicoHog:

--- Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on February 26, 2019, 10:52:31 am ---I mean I get the sentiment behind this, but what gets me excited is seeing more wins in the win column rather than a loss to an OOC P5 team.

--- End quote ---
I'm talking as a college football fan, not just a Hog fan.  Think big picture! 

RyanMallettsEgo:

--- Quote from: ChicoHog on February 26, 2019, 08:20:35 pm ---I'm talking as a college football fan, not just a Hog fan.  Think big picture!

--- End quote ---

Oh yeah, I definitely get that. I love the first weekend with the big time matchups, and I hope one day we can get there.

But for now I'll just take wins, no matter who they may come against hah.

PowderedToastMan:

--- End quote ---

The 2003 victory against UT was in Austin. The last victory in Fayetteville against a P5 opponent was Iowa State in 1973. The last P5 victory in Little Rock was against Ole Miss in 1988. Hogs have also beat Okla St, USC, and Northwestern in LR between '73 and '88.

Pig Worshipper:

--- Quote from: kodiakisland on February 20, 2019, 11:22:14 pm ---A FBS school, because we are in the SEC, not the Sun Belt.

--- End quote ---
Don't worry. If the Edgewood Einstein is still prowling the Arkansas sideline in 2023, we'll still look like a Sun Belt team.

Pages: (1/1)

Go to full version