• 10,303,325 Posts
• 408,299 Topics
• 23,335 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Any chance Gafford returns?  (Read 3456 times)

HogFaninMemphis

• Hogvillian
  • "Introibo ad altare Dei" -Psalm 42 (43)
Any chance Gafford returns?
« on: February 19, 2019, 11:02:29 pm »

We've assumed all year that Gafford is gone, but it's been reported his stock is falling. Is there any chance he'd return if given a bad draft grade?

BannerMountainMan

Re: Any chance Gafford returns?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 11:03:25 pm »

Nah he said he stayed another year to get stronger and wasn’t mature enough. Good choice, now go make some good money.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

leroyhawg

• Senior
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 12:22:07 am »

Gafford needs a few years before hes NBA ready, one more with the Hogs, works for me.

Hogimus Prime

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Roll Out
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 12:34:05 am »

Longer he stays the more his stock will drop

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 01:18:45 am »

You don't improve your stock by getting a  year older, unless you aren't a top prospect.

He's gone.

razorback1829

• Hogvillian
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 01:55:12 am »

You don't improve your stock by getting a  year older, unless you aren't a top prospect.

He's gone.

Dan is a big kid. NBA is about your second contract not your first. Everybody is pushing him which isn’t a wrong position, just feel like he can come back and work on his game. I’m not sure he has the mentality for the league. NBA athleticism for sure, and great measurables. He will be a first round pick this year or next year. 6’11 guys who run like a deer and jump out the gym are always a hot commodity. Just something to keep your eye on. Everybody is saying he’s gone, but he’s a different kid. There’s no wrong answer for him.

Smithian

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 05:33:02 am »

This is a weak draft. Gafford would be doing a disservice to himself if he came back.

jgphillips3

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Where are they now the little people of Stonehenge
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 08:50:41 am »

He should cut his losses and go.  I selfishly wish he were back next year but he needs to go before his stock slides further.  In retrospect, I hate it for him that he came back.  Of course, this year would truly be a dumpster fire without him so there’s that.

Hawg Red

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 09:02:14 am »

We've assumed all year that Gafford is gone, but it's been reported his stock is falling. Is there any chance he'd return if given a bad draft grade?

Don't you see, though? Coming back is why his stock has fallen. It was the most predictable thing ever and I said it at the time. I *never* works out well for players that can go pro and be solid first round picks who come back to school. I don't think those players realize what kind of a high bar they are placing on themselves by turning down at top 15-25 selection to go back to school and "get better." Scouts and GMs will be more impressive with the improvements made by someone who wasn't in the first round consideration a year prior than they will be by what a player who could have jumped and didn't does.

Hogville, in general, is stuck in the '80s and '90s in their thinking that guys need to be "NBA ready" (when they don't even know what that is right now) and that going back to college makes legitimate NBA prospects better. It doesn't.

zebradynasty

• Senior
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 09:06:10 am »

This is a weak draft. Gafford would be doing a disservice to himself if he came back.

He GONE! The things he needs to work on he can do that all day every day starting next month. Hire a personal trainer and a work out with some NBA prospects. I think he will surprise people on how much he can improve by the time draft comes.

parallaxpig

• Hogvillian
  • Man that ball got outta here in a hurry.
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2019, 09:07:11 am »

Make a million a year or come back.......um that's a tough one.........

24   $1,316,200   $1,562,200   $1,825,600
25   $1,263,500   $1,499,700   $1,752,500   
26   $1,221,600   $1,450,000   $1,694,300   
27   $1,186,300   $1,408,200   $1,645,500   
28   $1,179,100   $1,399,600   $1,635,300   
29   $1,170,500   $1,389,300   $1,623,400   
30   $1,162,100   $1,379,300   $1,611,800

Hawg Red

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2019, 09:08:07 am »

Funny that you (and others say this), yet his stock was higher in a "stronger" draft last year. Weak draft/strong draft can be a fool's errand. Returning college players will almost always fall behind the next draft's freshmen. Look at the top of this draft. It's all freshmen + some sophomores who weren't on the radar last year. That's right, players who weren't even under consideration to be drafted last year have a greater chance of going high in the draft than a player who could have been a top 15-ish pick and returned. They have the advantage of the element of surprise and all Gafford has by returning is the disadvantage of the element of disappointment.

Bottom line is, leave when you can if you care about draft position. Gafford went in the complete opposite direction of where he wanted (said he wanted to be the #1 overall pick).

Hawg Red

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 09:08:42 am »

Make a million a year or come back.......um that's a tough one.........

24   $1,316,200   $1,562,200   $1,825,600
25   $1,263,500   $1,499,700   $1,752,500   
26   $1,221,600   $1,450,000   $1,694,300   
27   $1,186,300   $1,408,200   $1,645,500   
28   $1,179,100   $1,399,600   $1,635,300   
29   $1,170,500   $1,389,300   $1,623,400   
30   $1,162,100   $1,379,300   $1,611,800

And would have made close to 3 million this year had he not come back.

Zhaire Smith, former Hog target, will make 2.6 million this season as the #16 overall pick, which was towards the back end of where Gafford was projected to go when he decided to return. Huge financial mistake. That's more than Mike Anderson makes!

zebradynasty

• Senior
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2019, 09:31:33 am »

Zhaire Smith, former Hog target, will make 2.6 million this season as the #16 overall pick, which was towards the back end of where Gafford was projected to go when he decided to return. Huge financial mistake. That's more than Mike Anderson makes!

Mike Anderson's mistake ???

Smithian

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2019, 09:39:20 am »

Funny that you (and others say this), yet his stock was higher in a "stronger" draft last year. Weak draft/strong draft can be a fool's errand. Returning college players will almost always fall behind the next draft's freshmen. Look at the top of this draft. It's all freshmen + some sophomores who weren't on the radar last year. That's right, players who weren't even under consideration to be drafted last year have a greater chance of going high in the draft than a player who could have been a top 15-ish pick and returned. They have the advantage of the element of surprise and all Gafford has by returning is the disadvantage of the element of disappointment.

Bottom line is, leave when you can if you care about draft position. Gafford went in the complete opposite direction of where he wanted (said he wanted to be the #1 overall pick).
We can agree to disagree. I think had he gone out he'd have been in the Robert Williams and Mitchell Robinson range, they lasted until #27 and #36.

I still don't agree with everyone claiming Gafford has tanked. He has upped his scoring and rebounding and is posting better percentages. He is fouling less in more minutes. Turnovers jumped, but that comes from being doubled and tripled nonstop.

Daniel Gafford is going to be a first rounder and next year we're going to miss having a big guy who drops 16 and 8 with a couple blocks nightly. Not many of those players in college basketball and we've had them for six years.

Hawg Red

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2019, 09:52:09 am »

We can agree to disagree. I think had he gone out he'd have been in the Robert Williams and Mitchell Robinson range, they lasted until #27 and #36.

Maybe he would have. We'll never know. We can only go off what those who are paid to cover the NBA draft reported and projected. It's easy to dismiss a lot of mock drafts and draft analysts. It's impossible to dismiss ESPN's Jonathan Givony, who is incredibly plugged in. He had Gafford in the middle part of the first round. You mention two guys who fell in large part over character concerns. Were you aware of those? What reason would there be for Gafford to fall? I can assure Robert Williams did not fall based on talent or basketball potential. He fell because he bombed interviews and missed flights and interviews during the process, in addition to whatever happened at A&M to get him suspended by that program. Mitchell Robinson flaked out on even going to college and has shady handlers. This stuff causes guys to drop. None that is present with Gafford, so I am left to believe he'd have gone at least in the first 20 picks.

I still don't agree with everyone claiming Gafford has tanked. He has upped his scoring and rebounding and is posting better percentages. He is fouling less in more minutes. Turnovers jumped, but that comes from being doubled and tripled nonstop.

I don't think he's tanked, either. He is misused badly, though. The production, I just attribute that to increased usage. Analytically, he's largely the same player. Very similar PER and BPM numbers freshmen-to-sophomore year. Block % has actually dropped dramatically while turnover % has increased dramatically. No question it has been impressive that his overall shooting has been better, but he did take a number of jumpers as a freshman and I'm not sure I've seen him take a single one this year.

jackflash

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2019, 10:02:49 am »

if he goes or stays he needs to work on his shot from 15 feet out

Hawg Red

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2019, 10:06:28 am »

if he goes or stays he needs to work on his shot from 15 feet out

And the absolute best way to do that is to have the means to hire a personal shooting coach. He's not going to develop a jumper at Arkansas.

zebradynasty

• Senior
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2019, 11:02:33 am »

Seems to me some are skipping the opinion that matters. Gafford and his family were given every opportunity to visit with PROFESSIONALS that evaluate NBA talent. A lot of scouts saw him play his freshman year. Not saying these people are 100% right 100% of the time but THEY told Gafford to come back because he was not a top 20 pick. I'm sure MA gave his opinion but in no way did the Gaffords make their decision to comeback based solely upon what Mike said! Also, the scouts know MA, if they believed that his coaching or lack there of would hold Gafford back...they would have told him to enter after the freshman year.

Hawg Red

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2019, 11:05:15 am »

Seems to me some are skipping the opinion that matters. Gafford and his family were given every opportunity to visit with PROFESSIONALS that evaluate NBA talent. A lot of scouts saw him play his freshman year. Not saying these people are 100% right 100% of the time but THEY told Gafford to come back because he was not a top 20 pick. I'm sure MA did give his opinion but no way the Gaffords made their decision to comeback based solely upon what Mike said! Also, the scouts know MA, if they believed that his coaching or lack there of would hold Gafford back...they would have told him to enter after the freshman year.

Did you pull that out of thin air?

I've never seen that claim anywhere.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2019, 11:08:32 am »

Maybe but It makes perfect sense though.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2019, 11:12:46 am »

He should cut his losses and go.  I selfishly wish he were back next year but he needs to go before his stock slides further.  In retrospect, I hate it for him that he came back.  Of course, this year would truly be a dumpster fire without him so there’s that.

Why do you hate it for him?

Last seasons draft was deep in bigs. He was wise not to have gone   He made money with that alone.

Don't see any scenario where staying another is in his best interest though.

Hawg Red

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2019, 11:23:40 am »

Maybe but It makes perfect sense though.

It makes no sense, actually.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2019, 11:24:06 am »

Last seasons draft was deep in bigs. He was wise not to have gone   He made money with that alone.

No he didn't, no way any math you can use will back up that statement.

Hawg Red

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2019, 11:25:48 am »

He lost around 2 million dollars, as a conservative estimate, by coming back to school. His stock is lower now compared to a year ago. Go when you can go.

zebradynasty

• Senior
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2019, 11:28:52 am »

The only alternative is that the Gaffords despite being told by professional scouts and talent evaluators the he was a certain top 20 pick and he chose to ignore it and come back. Haven't seen that claim anywhere either. Your scenario means that Gafford was a top 20 pick came back for the sole purpose of becoming a lotto pick...no one with his best interest in heart would have advised that!

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2019, 11:29:36 am »

He lost around 2 million dollars, as a conservative estimate, by coming back to school. His stock is lower now compared to a year ago. Go when you can go.

Correct: Last year if drafted at #14-#15, he would have $7,000,000 in his pocket the first 2 years  with another $7,000,000 the next 2 years if the team agrees to the next two years, That's $14 Million over the next 4 years.  If he goes #24-25 those monies drop to HALF of that the 1st 4 years. 

Hawg Red

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2019, 11:38:19 am »

The only alternative is that the Gaffords despite being told by professional scouts and talent evaluators the he was a certain top 20 pick and he chose to ignore it and come back. Haven't seen that claim anywhere either. Your scenario means that Gafford was a top 20 pick came back for the sole purpose of becoming a lotto pick...no one with his best interest in heart would have advised that!

I saw a video of Gafford saying his goal was to be the #1 pick. I absolutely believe my scenario was correct based on all of the evidence available to me.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2019, 11:41:55 am »

Gafford has gotten better in the areas that he struggled last year which is post ups and free throws

jgphillips3

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Where are they now the little people of Stonehenge
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2019, 11:43:25 am »

IF his stock has dropped, which admittedly is speculation, then I hate that for him.  If he goes on to be drafted higher than he would have or goes to a better team, then I’m happy for him. 

ShadowHawg

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2019, 11:46:33 am »

He was not a probable lottery pick last season at all.

This season he is. That's going backwards?

There are still a ton of scouts coming to see him play. More than when Portis' played here. So I would slow down biting on the idea that he has somehow become late first round grade lately.

Go when it's right. Portis' cost himself tens of millions going when he did  The Bulls didn't value him because he was cheap  No value, no play. No play, smaller contracts, maybe even no contracts.

Portis' is performing above his pay grade since actually seeing the court now.

NBA is a business. Jumping at the first offer is almost always bad business. The idea is to WORK to put yourself in the best possible  position to leverage yourself in negotiations. Foreign players do it all the time.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2019, 11:49:04 am »

There are still a ton of scouts coming to see him play. More than when Portis' played here. So I would slow down biting on the idea that he has somehow become late first round grade lately.

Go when it's right. Portis' cost himself tens of millions going when he did  The Bulls didn't value him because he was cheap  No value, no play. No play, smaller contracts, maybe even no contracts.

NBA is a business. Jumping at the first offer is almost always bad business. The idea is to WORK to put yourself in the best possible  position to leverage yourself in negotiations. Foreign players do it all the time.

He is nowhere near a lottery pick this year.. just so you know.  Look at last years mock drafts and this years... he's gone DOWN.....

You do know rookies don't actually negotiate much when they get drafted...

Hawg Red

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2019, 11:49:32 am »

Gafford has gotten better in the areas that he struggled last year which is post ups and free throws

And, yet, his stock has undeniably fallen. So doesn't that tell us that college is useless for helping NBA prospects improve? It's great for helping turn college players into NBA prospects by their junior or senior year, but it quite clearly hurts the NBA prospect who stays in school because the bar for improvement in the eyes of the NBA is sky high. If you're a Scotty Thurman or Daryl Macon, it makes sense to stay in school because you haven't reached your ceiling and there is no guarantee money waiting for you. If you're Bobby Portis or Daniel Gafford, you have no reason at all to stay in school. Portis left at the right time -- as soon as he was projected as a mid-first round pick. Gafford made a mistake returning. He's a pick-and-roll player who has been forced to stay exclusively on the block. You say that's an area that he has improved on, but that's not how NBA teams saw him in the first place and we can see now that improve there has meant nothing to them. Anderson's style/utilization has held him back. A legitimate NBA prospect should never put his stock in the hands of a college coach.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2019, 11:51:26 am »

He's gone.

But we have such a good team for next year..................heck if he came back the way you post one would think he would get us to the Final Four and his stock would skyrocket above what it was last year.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2019, 11:53:23 am »

right now projections are 15, 16, 17 pick

shown006

• Varsity
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2019, 11:53:46 am »

He gone....

Hawg Red

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2019, 11:54:37 am »

Gafford was projected in the late lottery-to-mid-first round last year when he decided to go back to school. Right now, he's being projected in the 20s and, in some cases, the late 20s. He has definitely slipped. Plenty of supporting evidence for it as well if you don't want to take my word for it.

Name me one legitimate NBA prospect who returned to school and actually improved their stock. Don't give me guys that were second round or off the radar and then ended up going high. Give me someone who was projected in the top half of the first round, went back to school, and went higher than they were projected the year before. I don't believe that player exists in recent years. It wouldn't have happened with Portis (NBA people still say he sucks on defense) and it won't happen with Gafford.

zebradynasty

• Senior
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2019, 11:58:09 am »

I saw a video of Gafford saying his goal was to be the #1 pick. I absolutely believe my scenario was correct based on all of the evidence available to me.

Then it is wrong to blame MA! If his stock has gone down it falls squarely on the Gafford family. Personally, I don't believe he was told he was a top 20 pick in 2018. What you heard him say may not have been in context, probably after he was told he wasn't a top 20 pick. In hindsight when you look at the first round there were only 3 Power Forwards taken seems a stretch to claim that Gafford should have been one of those 3.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2019, 12:01:29 pm »

Then it is wrong to blame MA! If his stock has gone down it falls squarely on the Gafford family. Personally, I don't believe he was told he was a top 20 pick in 2018. What you heard him say may not have been in context, probably after he was told he wasn't a top 20 pick. In hindsight when you look at the first round there were only 3 Power Forwards taken seems a stretch to claim that Gafford should have been one of those 3.

?  Where was MA blamed?

hawg66

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2019, 12:08:14 pm »

Gafford said he came back because he knew he wasn’t ready for the NBA and he didn’t want a four year career at the end of the bench. I think he’s shown enough for the NBA teams to give him a pile of money. Our response as fans should be “Congratulations Dan”.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2019, 12:10:23 pm »

Mike Anderson's mistake ???

How did you get this from this:

zebradynasty

• Senior
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2019, 12:14:19 pm »

How did you get this from this:

I'll admit that it's not clear what he was saying but what does Mikes mistakes have to do with Gafford coming back?

Hawg Red

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2019, 12:16:19 pm »

right now projections are 15, 16, 17 pick

Those are some projections, but not really representative of the usual players' projections. I don't know what NBADraftroom is. Everything else is legit in my book (except for maybe NBADraft.net - been around for a while but not sure if they are still relevant).

#15 NBADraftroom
#16 NBC Sports
#17 NBADraft.net
#24 Tankathon
#25 SI.com
#30 The Athletic (Sam Vecenie)
CBS Sports has him ranked #25
ESPN has him ranked #29
Not in the first round of Amico Hoops latest mock

Hawg Red

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2019, 12:19:36 pm »

The hell you talking about?

First, Gafford is a center. Second, here you go again with this "belief" that he was told he wasn't a top 20 pick. Third, I'm not blaming Anderson for Gafford coming back to school. Do you think I am? If so, why?

Hawg Red

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2019, 12:21:15 pm »

Gafford said he came back because he knew he wasn’t ready for the NBA and he didn’t want a four year career at the end of the bench. I think he’s shown enough for the NBA teams to give him a pile of money. Our response as fans should be “Congratulations Dan”.

He had shown them enough last season when he was projected to higher. I want the best for DG, which is why you hate to see a kid basically wasted 2+ million dollars (that's just for this season, not even factoring he'll have a worse contract over 4 years) by going back to school and lowering his stock.

zebradynasty

• Senior
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2019, 12:38:11 pm »

The hell you talking about?

First, Gafford is a center. Second, here you go again with this "belief" that he was told he wasn't a top 20 pick. Third, I'm not blaming Anderson for Gafford coming back to school. Do you think I am? If so, why?

I see Gafford more of PF than a Center. As of today he has very little offensive moves and lacks the strength to bang inside all game. In today's NBA the difference between a PF and C is almost irrelevant. Even so looking at the centers taken last year's top 20, which one should have been Gafford? My "belief" makes more sense than your belief! They may have been hot on Gafford early but it is quite obvious they cooled on him as the season went on. One windmill dunk does not equal a top 20 or lotto pick! I thought you were blaming MA because your post made me wonder why his mistakes had anything to do with Gafford coming back. If that's not what you meant ...fine.

Danny J

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2019, 12:52:31 pm »

He had as much of a chance of being on our bench next year as Ponderin...

Hawg Red

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2019, 01:40:58 pm »

I see Gafford more of PF than a Center. As of today he has very little offensive moves and lacks the strength to bang inside all game. In today's NBA the difference between a PF and C is almost irrelevant. Even so looking at the centers taken last year's top 20, which one should have been Gafford? My "belief" makes more sense than your belief! They may have been hot on Gafford early but it is quite obvious they cooled on him as the season went on. One windmill dunk does not equal a top 20 or lotto pick! I thought you were blaming MA because your post made me wonder why his mistakes had anything to do with Gafford coming back. If that's not what you meant ...fine.

Based on what??

I'm at least basing my theory on something tangible. You're just making sh-t up.

zebradynasty

• Senior
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2019, 02:07:17 pm »

Based on what??

I'm at least basing my theory on something tangible. You're just making sh-t up.

It's hindsight now but have you looked at the centers taken last year in the first 20 picks? Gafford was not better than any of them! There were 4 centers taken in the top 20. Deandre Ayton, Mavin Bagely, Mohamed Bamba and Wendell Carter. Ayton and Bagely were first team American so...Bamba has a freaking 7ft 10 inch wingspan :o :o! So that leaves Carter as a freshman on one of the premiere college basketball teams and playing in the ACC he avg 13 pts and 9 rebs so that might be the weakest link but still of those who would you replace with Gafford? This is not made up it's in black and white and common sense!

Hawg Red

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2019, 02:19:08 pm »

It's hindsight now but have you looked at the centers taken last year in the first 20 picks? Gafford was not better than any of them! There were 4 centers taken in the top 20. Deandre Ayton, Mavin Bagely, Mohamed Bamba and Wendell Carter. Ayton and Bagely were first team American so...Bamaba has a freaking 7ft 10 inch wingspan :o :o! So that leaves Carter as a freshman on one of the premiere college basketball teams and playing in the ACC he avg 13 pts and 9 rebs so that might be the weakest link but still of those who would you replace with Gafford? This is not made up it's in black and white and common sense!

You need to know that few things are black and white with me. I agree that it is black and white that those centers taken above Gafford were clearly better. But here's where I exit black and white on this topic: what if there are teams that did not take a center in, say, the 13-19 range because Daniel Gafford wasn't in the draft? We will never know. But it is possible. Teams can only draft that players that are eligible to be selected. How many teams would have taken Zion Williamson over a number of the high picks from last year if they could? Again, we'll never know, but we do know that Gafford was projected clearly higher than he is now. Maybe there's a GM for a team in the late lottery or mid first round that is licking his chops at the thought of drafting Gafford. It's hard to say because he's not being used at Arkansas like the NBA teams probably want to use him. They want him to be like Jarrett Allen type as a rim-protector on D and a pick-and-roll man on O. Anderson has Gafford camped in the paint, and that is most definitely where he will NOT be in the NBA.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas