• 10,312,641 Posts
• 408,490 Topics
• 23,342 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Redbird Rundown XIII  (Read 1379 times)

McKdaddy

Redbird Rundown XIII
« on: February 15, 2019, 06:40:20 am »

Itís time.

jrulz83

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Lenin lived, Lenin lives, Lenin will live forever!
Re: Redbird Rundown XIII
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 12:49:43 pm »

Yeah, itís time. Postseason run or bust.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

jrulz83

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 08:05:33 pm »

Watched game 1 of Spring Training today. Helsley was impressive. Hit triple digits and was simply overpowering. Itís early of course, but if he continues like that thereís no way he shouldnít be in the bullpen on opening day.

Iím interested to see Dexter Fowler bat second tomorrow. Hopefully he comes out strong. One way or another, the Cardinals need him to go.

pigture perfect

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 10:21:33 pm »

Haven't seen any highlights, but 11-1 sounds pretty dog gone impressive.

pigture perfect

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 10:22:34 pm »

Thanks McK for kicking us off again this year. looking for better things this season.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 03:39:09 pm »

Need Fowler gone

pigture perfect

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 03:48:49 pm »

So far: Blow out win, Blow out loss, and a tie. What's next? close win or close loss?

RaisinHog

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 09:14:16 pm »

jrulz83

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 10:57:52 am »

The Cardinals need Dexter Fowler (or somebody in the OF) to be a .350ish obp guy. I think everybody forgets that he hurt his wrist last year and played through it before he ultimately went down. Not making excuses, if he was injured he should have said so, but wrists cause major problems in a swing if theyíre not 100%. Even if thereís no pain, wrist weakness can erode a swing.

Give Fowler spring to get right or wrong. There are plenty of options if he or any of the current projected starting OF (Ozuna, Bader, Fowler) should falter. Here are a few of the options:

Tyler OíNeill is supposedly looking to cover his swing holes. Hope it works because heís an every day corner OF next year if he can cut down some Kís and raise his walk rate.

Jose Martinez. Fowler isnít even a question if Martinez could be even slightly below average in RF.

Lane Thomas is a prospect to watch, heís been impressive when Iíve seen him. I think he had some kind of tweak to his rib area and theyíve been cautious with him.

Adolis Garcia has been getting a lot of playing time so far this spring. The Cardinals seem to really like him. Hard not to like 22 AAA homeruns....

Randy Arozarena has had a great spring so far, maybe he really takes off this year.

OF is not an area of concern for me.

Shortstop is the position Iím worried about, Dejong is critical to the Cardinals this year. If he gets hurt or underperforms itís going to be tough to fill in for him. SS options are really limited for the Cardinals. After Dejong, Gyorko and Munoz are your choices. Munoz was awful defensively there (well, everywhere really) and Gyorko had no range.

McKdaddy

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2019, 10:25:57 am »

hogcards

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • The Glimmer Twins
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 09:03:49 am »

The problem with releasing Fowler, is the fact that right now the Cards outfield is really suspect.  Ozuna is still banged up, O'Neill only swings for the fences and it appears he's not much of a OBP or avg. guy and Bader is really inconsistent.

Fowler has completely lost any talent he previously had, so they can't afford to wait for him to get back what little he did have.  I can't see the Cards not releasing him. ...but they may have to dip into their system and go with Adolis Garcia or Conner Jones?

jrulz83

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 09:11:00 pm »

The problem with releasing Fowler, is the fact that right now the Cards outfield is really suspect.  Ozuna is still banged up, O'Neill only swings for the fences and it appears he's not much of a OBP or avg. guy and Bader is really inconsistent.

Fowler has completely lost any talent he previously had, so they can't afford to wait for him to get back what little he did have.  I can't see the Cards not releasing him. ...but they may have to dip into their system and go with Adolis Garcia or Conner Jones?

Fowler will be the opening day right fielder. I also think that heíll bat second in the opening day lineup. I could be completely and totally wrong (Iím not), but Fowler will not be released by the Cardinals at any point this season. Fowler is the most criticized Cardinal I think I have ever seen. I donít understand it. Yes he had a bad year last year, but he has a 10 year track record of solid offense and had a fine first year at the plate with the Cardinals. He deserves his shot to prove last year an aberration.

He has looked a lot better this spring when I have been able to see him play. He seems lighter on his feet in the OF and has stung the ball several times that Iíve seen. Supposedly, his exit velocity on batted balls has been more in line with his 2017 numbers than his 2018 numbers. Now if Fowler is making weak contact, looking slow, and scuffling come the end of April Iíll be for a rotation in RF with Fowler mostly playing bench bat.

jrulz83

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 04:39:29 pm »

Goldschmidt finalizing extension. 5 years $130 mil; club record if itís completed. If he produces like he normally does it kind of sounds like a bargain:

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/birdland/source-cardinals-finalizing-extension-with-goldschmidt-for-club-record-sum/article_a2c8c2b7-2972-53bc-a698-20a7380a98e9.html#tracking-source=home-breaking

McKdaddy

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 05:09:30 pm »

(bat drop)

pigture perfect

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2019, 08:17:31 pm »

This team is going to be fun to watch. I think they are a Fowler trade away from being a division winner though.

EconHawg

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2019, 11:16:08 am »

This team is going to be fun to watch. I think they are a Fowler trade away from being a division winner though.

They sure gave us a nail-biter last night. The walks made me want to pull my hair out. O'Neill has sure been clutch though.

McKdaddy

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2019, 08:23:13 am »

Props to the Cards for the LAD sweep. 

McKdaddy

McKdaddy

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2019, 08:25:00 am »

Glad to see Carp become a lifer w/ the Cards.

pigture perfect

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2019, 10:05:29 pm »

Ozuna is swinging well right now, but I believe that we should have gotten Yelich from the Marlins instead.

McKdaddy

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2019, 01:11:46 pm »

Ozuna is swinging well right now, but I believe that we should have gotten Yelich from the Marlins instead.

I'd settle for no longer pitchng to Yelich.

WMHawgfan

• Hawg Football: Making Corndogs go WTH!
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2019, 10:24:57 am »

Pithing is worrying me. Starters can't get deep in the games and they can't keep the ball in the ballpark.

pigture perfect

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2019, 11:58:08 am »

Starting pitching was supposed to be a strength this year. Wacha hurt, CMart not coming to camp in shapeand we now get pretty thin. I would love for us to pick up Dallas K.

pigture perfect

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2019, 11:58:46 am »

Magic number is 139. 😎

EconHawg

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2019, 01:21:08 pm »

Starting pitching was supposed to be a strength this year. Wacha hurt, CMart not coming to camp in shapeand we now get pretty thin. I would love for us to pick up Dallas K.

I was really hoping that's what the press conference was for the day they announced the Carpenter extension. Didn't expect it, but I was hoping.

We'll see how Ponce does tonight. Hopefully someone tells him not to pitch to Yelich.

WMHawgfan

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2019, 09:51:47 pm »

Given up 11 hr in the last 3 games. All wins. Go figure.

45 hr given up in 23 games but they are 14-9. Doesnít make sense but I will take it.

pigture perfect

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2019, 10:20:35 pm »

Magic #137 😎

RaisinHog

• Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2019, 11:26:50 pm »

Problem with him is he has really only had one good year the others not so much .. we would have to over pay for a number 3-4 starter

pigture perfect

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2019, 02:42:23 pm »

Alex Reyes does it again. Breaks his finger punching a wall after a rough outing in Memphis. Iím not sure heís smart enough to be a Cardinal.

jrulz83

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2019, 08:22:58 am »

10-2 in the last 12 games despite the home run derby teams have been playing on the starters. I guess as long as itís solo shots being given up then thereís a chance they wonít beat you, but it is a concern. Itís probably just the downside of a pitch aggressively in the zone with nobody on base strategy.

The offense has shown that it can get the job done, the Cardinals have beaten teams with small ball, homeruns, doubles, everything really; it has been a very diverse attack. I have enjoyed seeing the limited strikeouts of late.

The base running has been a pleasant surprise. Going first to third is a huge deal that many people miss the importance of. The Cardinals have succeeded in making that a big and effective part of their attack. It seemed like with Matheny that there wasnít a plan or emphasis on doing it, it was just a willy nilly thing. Good to see an emphasis from spring training carry over to the season for once.

18 wins in April ties the franchise record. Wins in April count in September too. Hopefully this nice run continues.

Dropkick

• I'm somewhere in the middle
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2019, 10:58:07 am »

Redbirds vs Astros in World Series is my prediction.

pigture perfect

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2019, 03:46:30 pm »

10-2 in the last 12 games despite the home run derby teams have been playing on the starters. I guess as long as itís solo shots being given up then thereís a chance they wonít beat you, but it is a concern. Itís probably just the downside of a pitch aggressively in the zone with nobody on base strategy.

The offense has shown that it can get the job done, the Cardinals have beaten teams with small ball, homeruns, doubles, everything really; it has been a very diverse attack. I have enjoyed seeing the limited strikeouts of late.

The base running has been a pleasant surprise. Going first to third is a huge deal that many people miss the importance of. The Cardinals have succeeded in making that a big and effective part of their attack. It seemed like with Matheny that there wasnít a plan or emphasis on doing it, it was just a willy nilly thing. Good to see an emphasis from spring training carry over to the season for once.

18 wins in April ties the franchise record. Wins in April count in September too. Hopefully this nice run continues.
This is true.

Magic #131

Dropkick

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2019, 12:57:07 pm »

I look for the Cards to light Hendricks up today. (and I'm a Cubs fan.)

Dropkick

« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2019, 03:34:47 pm »

I look for the Cards to light Hendricks up today. (and I'm a Cubs fan.)
FAIL

Bigfoot

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2019, 02:00:30 am »

FAIL

Indeed. Hendricks pulled a Greg Maddux . 81 pitch shutout.

jrulz83

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2019, 04:04:48 pm »

Iím hoping Wrigley Field burns to the ground soon (not really, but I wouldnít shed a tear). ;D That was an awful series, shades of the Matheny era all through it. Turn the page and hopefully get to the Cubs at Busch.

pigture perfect

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2019, 10:20:18 pm »

I just have to shake my head.

WMHawgfan

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2019, 10:26:22 am »

yeah this team is getting hard to watch. 6-16 after starting 20-10. Back to striking out way too much, poor situational hitting, and can't hold a lead.

Hicks is puzzling to me. You would think someone that throws 100+ would get a lot more swing and misses. it seems the hitters are picking up the ball quite easily and making solid contact. Two of his last three appearances he couldn't even record an out. Maybe they should look at his delivery to try and hide the ball a little better.

pigture perfect

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2019, 09:48:28 pm »

No offense. Thatís whatís killing us. 4 hits all night, 2 just happen to be home runs. Letís play Whitey Ball again.

pigture perfect

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2019, 11:44:07 pm »

I think the Genesis Cabrera experiment needs to end tonight. Put Martinez back in the rotation or bring up Gomber.

hoglady

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2019, 10:10:34 am »

Been reading that the Cards are one of about 5 teams vying for the services of Keuchel since now the draft has ended.
Yankees seem to be the clear favorite which is sickening to me (Red Sox fan).

Hope things change and the Cards end up with him.

EconHawg

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2019, 01:37:21 pm »

I think the Genesis Cabrera experiment needs to end tonight. Put Martinez back in the rotation or bring up Gomber.

I read that he's expected to work on not "volunteering what pitch he is throwing" to the opponent while in Memphis. Guess something was tipping his pitches.

Whatever the case, he wasn't ready for the show.

EconHawg

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2019, 01:39:54 pm »

Been reading that the Cards are one of about 5 teams vying for the services of Keuchel since now the draft has ended.
Yankees seem to be the clear favorite which is sickening to me (Red Sox fan).

Hope things change and the Cards end up with him.

That would be fine by me!

pigture perfect

« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2019, 12:34:00 pm »

Iím hoping that the Cards can get Greinke from the Díbacks. I know heís a little bit of a head case, but sometimes the good ones are. Mo, would never finish dialing the number though.

clutch

« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2019, 12:29:23 pm »

Iím hoping that the Cards can get Greinke from the Díbacks. I know heís a little bit of a head case, but sometimes the good ones are. Mo, would never finish dialing the number though.

I'm torn on the Greinke thing. He can be a great pitcher, but he seems to be hated everywhere he goes. Hoping he wouldn't be a clubhouse problem.

clutch

« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2019, 12:40:10 pm »

Watched Reyes throw Thursday in Memphis. You could tell he doesn't have the stamina back yet. He threw a lot of stuff that looked unhittable through the 2nd and 3rd inning. Then he got tired and got touched up. You can definitely see the difference between his stuff and other guys though. His fastball has some pop on it and the slider is just plain nasty when it's working. His command got away from him after the 3rd. Consistency just isn't quite there yet. Probably needs a couple more starts in Memphis. Hearing he may get a spot start with the Cards on Wednesday though.

pigture perfect

« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2019, 09:29:37 pm »

Brian Anderson Razorback player from 15, is having a great series for the Marlins against the Cards. I love when Diamond Hogs do well in the bigs. Even against my Redbirds. I get excited.

pigture perfect

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2019, 10:07:02 pm »

Haha, BA and Yadi get nose to nose. He wasnít going to let Yadi get in his head. Way to go young man.

hogbud

« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2019, 09:31:43 pm »

Lots of coverage of cardinal fans warm reception (Several standing ovations, chants, hugs from Molina etc) for Pujols during his first return to STL......I think back to Bob Gibson who would have thrown first pitch under his chin to remind him theyíre enemies on field.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas