• 10,356,909 Posts
• 409,739 Topics
• 23,422 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best gym or close gym  (Read 531 times)

McKdaddy

Best gym or close gym
« on: February 09, 2019, 10:02:37 am »

Iím curious what everyone prefers ó a gym that is very close & convenient to your home or work, OR the gym that offers the most to you in terms of equipment, amenities, space, classes, etc.

Iím facing this quandary now. Iíve been a Lifetime member since it opened in Tulsa in Ď12. It is the best gym for me in offering the best of everything I could want in a gym and was only 1/2 mile from my home. So I had the best of both worlds.

No more. We are building a home in Jenks, which will be 20 minutes from Lifetime. While Lifetime is a great gym, and a good price for all it offers, I desire convenience (i.e. nearby) over gym offerings. For the past 7 years  I have awakened most mornings at 4:30 and arrived at Lifetime by 4:45. This gets me home in time to spend time w/ my kiddos, get them fed and ready for school, and get myself to work by 8.

The gyms near where we are building are a significant step down, but I think Iíve come to grips w/ that due to desiring proximity to do those things I mentioned above at the time of day I prefer (early mornings work best due to the activities the kids do in the evenings that Iím involved in). I could remain a Lifetime member but I believe my gym visits would drop dramatically.

Curious about this for you.

Dr. Starcs

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
Re: Best gym or close gym
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 11:13:08 am »

With two young kids, Iíve bought some equipment for the garage at home. Itís much more convenient right now. But believe it or not, itís just as hard to get motivated to get out there right now in the cold weather and get my workouts in.

I think itís just figuring out what works for you and makes sense for you at this time.

I also really believe that diet is a big majority in your overall goals. People get caught up in the workout aspect and neglect the diet a lot of times. I know thatís always a struggle for me. The problem is finding a cost efficient diet and one that works best for your goals.

Just my two or three cents.

Kudos to you for having the discipline to get up so early so your kids arenít missing out on time with you. Iíve been getting my workouts in around 9:00 at night after mine get to bed. I just canít bring myself to waking up early.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

McKdaddy

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 11:30:48 am »

With two young kids, Iíve bought some equipment for the garage at home. Itís much more convenient right now. But believe it or not, itís just as hard to get motivated to get out there right now in the cold weather and get my workouts in.

I think itís just figuring out what works for you and makes sense for you at this time.

I also really believe that diet is a big majority in your overall goals. People get caught up in the workout aspect and neglect the diet a lot of times. I know thatís always a struggle for me. The problem is finding a cost efficient diet and one that works best for your goals.

Just my two or three cents.

Kudos to you for having the discipline to get up so early so your kids arenít missing out on time with you. Iíve been getting my workouts in around 9:00 at night after mine get to bed. I just canít bring myself to waking up early.

Kudos to you for working out that time of night. Thatís equally tough for me.

hawgrunner

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 09:01:42 pm »

No more. We are building a home in Jenks, which will be 20 minutes from Lifetime. While Lifetime is a great gym, and a good price for all it offers, I desire convenience (i.e. nearby) over gym offerings. For the past 7 years  I have awakened most mornings at 4:30 and arrived at Lifetime by 4:45. This gets me home in time to spend time w/ my kiddos, get them fed and ready for school, and get myself to work by 8.

Add a gym at home in your plans.  8)

killahcam

• Walk-On
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 01:59:39 pm »

i went for a mix of the two. there are closer gyms to me but for the price, location, and equipment i saw it as a winner

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 08:04:24 pm »

The best gym is the one you'll want to go to.

If the closest gym only has a few dumbbells, a couple machines, and a lot of treadmills and you are into powerlifting, even if it's also cheap, you are wasting your money because you aren't going to end up going there.

If the best gym is 30 minutes away, odds are, spending an hour just commuting to and from the gym is going to become prohibitive and is again, not the best option.

You have to ask yourself, what do you hope to want to do, what will you realistically do, and what can you afford to do?

hawgrunner

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 11:00:50 pm »

I'm kind of lucky here in Southern Cali.
I got 3 big name gyms all within 5 miles of my house.
24hr Fitness, Crunch Fitness, and LA Fitness.

killahcam

• Walk-On
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 12:36:49 pm »

I'm kind of lucky here in Southern Cali.
I got 3 big name gyms all within 5 miles of my house.
24hr Fitness, Crunch Fitness, and LA Fitness.

yeah man, i have retro, blink, crunch, la, 24 hour, profit, golds, worlds, all within a 10-15 minute drive

Cotton

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Formerly of ESPN 8 "The Ocho"
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 12:46:11 pm »

I miss 24 fitness so much.. the local gyms here suck.

rzrbackramsfan

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • "Winners never quit, quitters never win"
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 01:14:53 am »

Iím curious what everyone prefers ó a gym that is very close & convenient to your home or work, OR the gym that offers the most to you in terms of equipment, amenities, space, classes, etc.

Iím facing this quandary now. Iíve been a Lifetime member since it opened in Tulsa in Ď12. It is the best gym for me in offering the best of everything I could want in a gym and was only 1/2 mile from my home. So I had the best of both worlds.

The gyms near where we are building are a significant step down, but I think Iíve come to grips w/ that due to desiring proximity to do those things I mentioned above at the time of day I prefer (early mornings work best due to the activities the kids do in the evenings that Iím involved in). I could remain a Lifetime member but I believe my gym visits would drop dramatically.

Curious about this for you.

I definitely travel.  I use Blink Gyms and live in East Harlem, so judging on the area, they're probably really crazy.  The Blink gym I used to go to in Brooklyn was also always nuts.  So now I travel to the Grand Central gym and it's usually pretty busy but everybody is well organized and efficient.  And since it's a lot of commuters, sometimes it's completely dead.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas