• 10,312,819 Posts
• 408,494 Topics
• 23,342 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Goodell says they made wrong call  (Read 1733 times)

Piggfoot

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hog Table top cooker
Goodell says they made wrong call
« on: January 31, 2019, 04:50:05 pm »

Please move if in wrong place.
Football created a mess several years ago when they allowed more use of the hands with the oline and dbacks. They need to take away the hands from the oline and dbacks.
In the Oline we were taught to grab our jerseys and not the Dline's.
Sure there will be more QB pressure which will lead to more roll out passing and less pocket passing and there will be more passes caught . Both should balance out and take the Official's  opinions away. The Zebra's have way too much control which leads to head scratching with observers.

hawginbigd1

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: Goodell says they made wrong call
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 05:04:45 pm »

Not sure what you are talking about with DBs all of the changes made for 2 decades plus are against the DBs. The OL aren't going back to pre 80s football either because they already don't want the QBs to be touched at all.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Eponymous Keeper of the War Damn Mockingbird Unis
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 07:23:25 pm »

Football created a mess several years ago when they allowed more use of the hands with the oline and dbacks. They need to take away the hands from the oline and dbacks.
Sure there will be more QB pressure which will lead to more roll out passing and less pocket passing and there will be more passes caught . Both should balance out and take the Official's  opinions away. The Zebra's have way too much control which leads to head scratching with observers.

I think a more amicable solution will present itself prior to chopping off peopleís hands.

Piggfoot

• Hog Table top cooker
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 07:25:59 pm »

Not sure what you are talking about with DBs all of the changes made for 2 decades plus are against the DBs. The OL aren't going back to pre 80s football either because they already don't want the QBs to be touched at all.
I am simply saying as long as the rules allow a DBack to put his hands on the reciever it becomes the officials opinion whether or not the DBack interfered. On the same play the official can call interference or not. fifty years ago the DBack could not put his hands on the reciever or it was pass interference. The decision was more pure and something fans could see and understand and for the most part agreed with the call.  Not so now. Yes I am talking about the game 50 years ago.  I think it was much better then. As for the QBs they are overprotected.

EastexHawg

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 07:52:15 pm »

What, Goodell didn't comment on the atrocious replay failure in the other game, Chiefs vs. Patriots?  The one where replay showed that Hogan's "one handed catch" that kept a 4th quarter Patriots scoring drive alive wasn't a catch at all because the ball clearly hit the ground?

At least the missed pass interference in the Saints game was a judgement call that was missed at game speed.  The league reviewed the non-catch from numerous angles and in slow motion and still gave the Patriots a first down on a bogus call.

Dr. Leonard Ford

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 08:17:55 pm »

Hogan made that catch.  The replay clearly shows that.

Seebs

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 08:20:39 pm »

Always a fascinating OP. By fascinating I mean confusing and poorly written.

bphi11ips

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I need help with my footwork, too.
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 08:44:21 pm »

Always a fascinating OP. By fascinating I mean confusing and poorly written.

What did you not understand about it?

EastexHawg

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 08:50:32 pm »

Hogan made that catch.  The replay clearly shows that.

No, it doesn't.  The ball moved around on the way down and then clearly hit the ground. 

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1087173918710992896.

I guess he was controlling the point of the ball with his elbow as the other 90% of it was dragging across the ground.

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 08:57:42 pm »

Old news...
Sorry. Time to move on.

Bash

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2019, 10:04:05 pm »

I think a more amicable solution will present itself prior to chopping off peopleís hands.

Keep an open mind.  If that Ram's DB had no hands we might not be in this mess now.

PORKULATOR

• knows how to 'dunk the crumpets'
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2019, 10:08:14 pm »

rewatch Patriots vs Chargers.  Patsies DBs have lost a step and are straight up grabbing folks. Especially during a cut or a hard stop on a route. It was disappointing and obvious.
My dog wasn't even in the playoff hunt so I have nothing to lose or gain, but boycotting the Super Bowl is a positive

PORKULATOR

• knows how to 'dunk the crumpets'
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2019, 10:09:34 pm »

Keep an open mind.  If that Ram's DB had no hands we might not be in this mess now.
yeah well what about his head cuz his head is what he made contact with first. 😂🤣

Pigcrazy

• Varsity
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2019, 10:21:45 pm »

It took 10 days before the NFL and Goodell said anything...  Think abothatb for a minute...

Pigcrazy

• Varsity
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 10:24:25 pm »

It took 10 days before the NFL and Goodell said anything...  Think about that for a minute...   Sorry about the misspelling

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2019, 10:51:37 pm »

The Official in the Saints/Rams game didn't make the call, so there wasn't a call.

It should be referred to as an "incorrect decision to not make the call."

LAHogfan123

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2019, 11:15:12 pm »

What, Goodell didn't comment on the atrocious replay failure in the other game, Chiefs vs. Patriots?  The one where replay showed that Hogan's "one handed catch" that kept a 4th quarter Patriots scoring drive alive wasn't a catch at all because the ball clearly hit the ground?

At least the missed pass interference in the Saints game was a judgement call that was missed at game speed.  The league reviewed the non-catch from numerous angles and in slow motion and still gave the Patriots a first down on a bogus call.

ROFLMAO at judgement call!  It was two calls missed on that one play and they both were obvious even to a half blind man at game speed, and I hate the Saints.

Seebs

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2019, 11:17:09 pm »

What did you not understand about it?
The words

EastexHawg

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2019, 11:25:12 pm »

ROFLMAO at judgement call!  It was two calls missed on that one play and they both were obvious even to a half blind man at game speed, and I hate the Saints.

Slow your roll.  I'm not saying it wasn't interference, I'm saying interference is not reviewable because it is a judgement call on the part of the officials, sort of like how fouls aren't reviewable in basketball.

The ball hitting the ground on a pass play, on the other hand, is reviewable.  Not that it mattered, because the replay official is apparently blind or a Patriots fan.

havok

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2019, 08:45:31 am »

There is no repairing what the Saints lost in regards to a total travesty of a blown call.. and nothing can be done for this years Super bowl.

However, kinda like the NFL does when they find Teams/Coaches etc have done something wrong they punish organizations by "Taking away Draft Picks" like they did to the Saints after their Superbowl year and the so called Bounty Gate, they should award in kind Draft Picks when they were hosed so clearly.

Maybe award the Saints an additional 2nd round pick, or supplemental last pick in 1st round on top of the picks they already have.

TexHog188

• Touchdown Arkansas!
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2019, 03:19:40 pm »

Perhaps they should just make OL/DL wear mittens so they can't grab.

oldhawg

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2019, 03:40:45 pm »

Could always go back to the days of no instant replay ---- for official and fans.  But then the actions of referees like Preston Watts become an issue again.  Just have to accept (not forget) the mistakes and injustices that are made.

Dominicanhog

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2019, 07:33:00 pm »

Slow your roll.  I'm not saying it wasn't interference, I'm saying interference is not reviewable because it is a judgement call on the part of the officials, sort of like how fouls aren't reviewable in basketball.

The ball hitting the ground on a pass play, on the other hand, is reviewable.  Not that it mattered, because the replay official is apparently blind or a Patriots fan.

is targeting a reviewable call?  Is not calling a targeting, a reviewable call if coach challenges?

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Eponymous Keeper of the War Damn Mockingbird Unis
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2019, 08:03:42 pm »

Perhaps they should just make OL/DL wear mittens so they can't grab.

You might be on to something. The apparel companies would love it and it is less permanent than the OPís rather dire thought of chopping off hands.

EastexHawg

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2019, 08:10:34 pm »

is targeting a reviewable call?  Is not calling a targeting, a reviewable call if coach challenges?

Targeting is reviewable.  I don't know if a coach can challenge saying targeting should be called, but the booth can certainly stop the game to look at it.

EastexHawg

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2019, 08:14:20 pm »

This is the position in which we were told to keep our hands when blocking back in the Dark Ages.

https://goo.gl/images/UYEKWr

BroyledNutts

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2019, 09:54:54 pm »

Maybe it would help in future games if each coach was given [one] challenge relating to an officiating call ... give them the chance to say "Hey you need to look at that again, I think you missed the call."

The rules would have to be adjusted to allow for not only a call to be overturned, but also for a non-call to then be called, if the review was the result of a challenge from a coach.

LZH

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2019, 10:12:58 pm »

That was NOT a catch, no matter what the replay bandits say.

EastexHawg

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2019, 12:05:36 am »

That was NOT a catch, no matter what the replay bandits say.

It's unconscionable for a league official to look at that in slow motion and rule that it is a catch.  It squirmed around in his hands all the way down and then was pinned against the ground as he slid.  If the grass was asphalt the ball would have road rash.

Smalltownhog95

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2019, 11:02:25 am »

It's unconscionable for a league official to look at that in slow motion and rule that it is a catch.  It squirmed around in his hands all the way down and then was pinned against the ground as he slid.  If the grass was asphalt the ball would have road rash.
I didn't like the ruling of Hogans catch either but can see why it stood. Had it been ruled incomplete i believe it would have stood as incomplete. Not enough clear evidence to overturn it. What was utterly shameful imo just hours after that Saints reciever got mauled with no call was Tom Brady getting a roughing the passer called because someone lightly touched his chest. I'm pretty sure that call kept another Pats drive alive.

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2019, 01:08:26 pm »

There is ZERO chance football goes back to the stone ages of O linemen basically just being allowed to try to steamroll or get in the way of pass rushers.. no sense in even wishing for that.

The game has grown tremendously since allowing blockers to have limited use of their hands. That rule was changed to help the passing game which is what most FANS want.

The days of caveman football are gone and they are not coming back. About as much chance of that as there is of outlawing computers and cell phones.

I have to laugh at the hypocrisy of defensive linemen whining about "holding on every play" as they are trying to maim the QB. Which is worse, grabbing a rusher with your hands to PROTECT your teammate, or trying to maim an opponent with blows to the head, body slamming, etc?

Defenders were allowed to do whatever they wanted for way too long. That is why so many former players can barely walk or suffer from dementia due to concussions.

The same defensive players who cry about the new rules want to cash in when there is a concussion settlement from the NFL.. when they caused way more than they ever got.

They talk about the rules being stacked against them, the rules were stacked against offense for way too long. I roll my eyes when defensive players talk about cut blocks also. In the old football, offensive line was terrible to play, they were basically just punching bags.

How dare an O lineman block a D lineman low they say, but it's ok for them to hit QBs or RBs low? Classic double standard.

The Kig

• Hogville Heroes
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2019, 02:39:54 pm »

You might be on to something. The apparel companies would love it and it is less permanent than the OPís rather dire thought of chopping off hands.

I don't know... he might be onto something.

Would require some rules changes.  "Illegal nub/stump to the face".  Would eliminate dangerous horse collar tackles. 

I say we try it for a season or two... if it doesn't pan out, give them their hands back. 

EastexHawg

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2019, 04:50:06 pm »

I didn't like the ruling of Hogans catch either but can see why it stood. Had it been ruled incomplete i believe it would have stood as incomplete. Not enough clear evidence to overturn it. What was utterly shameful imo just hours after that Saints reciever got mauled with no call was Tom Brady getting a roughing the passer called because someone lightly touched his chest. I'm pretty sure that call kept another Pats drive alive.

The Patriots got to have their cake and eat it, too, with the "not enough evidence to overturn" reasoning.  The muffed punt that was called a fumble on the field was overturned with "we think he might not have touched it" evidence.

There is no judgement involved in the Hogan call.  Jose Feliciano and Ronnie Milsap can see that ball on the ground.  It's blatant.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas