• 10,269,126 Posts
• 407,530 Topics
• 23,309 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Bielema Expects to be Patriots' DC  (Read 10867 times)

Re: Bielema Expects to be Patriots' DC
« Reply #150 on: February 05, 2019, 06:46:41 pm »

Bret Bielema and Forest Gump have had similar successful careers.  I feel Forest had a much better personality.

twistitup

« Reply #151 on: February 05, 2019, 06:49:11 pm »

Presser at 4PM? They must have rescheduled....CBB is probably MIA, he started celebrating too early...that's what happens when you give yourself a job.

.....Greg 'I'm still sober' Schiano is over in the corner, waiting in the shadows with his mouth shut.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

LZH

« Reply #152 on: February 05, 2019, 07:17:03 pm »

Need to write contracts that require renegotiation if a college coach does not have a winning season, or if he wins ten or more games.

Or just put them on commission.....

Pay scale:
Each win over a FCS team  -  $250,000
Each win over a G5 team    -  $400,000
Each win over a P5 team    -  $500,000
Each conference win          -  $650,000
Bowl game win                  -  $800,000
Playoff semifinal win          -  $1,000,000
NC game win                    -  $2,000,000

Good luck, coach.....

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #153 on: February 05, 2019, 07:24:51 pm »

Presser at 4PM? They must have rescheduled....CBB is probably MIA, he started celebrating too early...that's what happens when you give yourself a job.

.....Greg 'I'm still sober' Schiano is over in the corner, waiting in the shadows with his mouth shut.

Just curious, can anyone share the link or cite a source (who isnít anonymous) that actually quotes Bret saying he had the job?

oldhawg

« Reply #154 on: February 05, 2019, 07:27:31 pm »

What are some other examples other than this 1 game for a NC caliber team?

Notre Dame starting quarterback Ian Brook injured in the first quarter against Northwestern.  Brandon Wimbush stepped in to lead the Irish to 31-21 win.

Mike Weber, Ohio State running back injured in the third game of the season against TCU, opening the door for J. K. Dobbins. (2017 I think).  Ohio State continued to win throughout the season.

Weber also missed the shootout against Maryland in 2018 because of injury, which Ohio State won.

Rodney Anderson, Oklahoma, suffered a season ending injury in the second game of the season this year against UCLA.  Canít remember who replaced him.  But the Sooners survived.

MacKenzie Milton, UCF quarterback had a season ending injury in the second quarter against USF.  The Knights went on to win that game plus the next one against Memphis before losing to LSU.

Stanford Heisman hopeful Bryce Love missed playing time off and on all year because of injuries.  Stanford wound up with a 9-4 record.

Dexter Lawrence, perhaps Clemsonís best defensive tackle was ineligible to play against Alabama in the championship game.  Clemson didnít miss a beat.

Many more I am sure, especially among not so well known teams.

When it comes to sports, who was it that said, ďNot all illness is fatal.Ē??  Thatís how I feel about a well-coached team.  When injuries happen to key players, a plan with effective assets is in place.  Perhaps the team is not as good as it was, but the obligation of preparing to win has not fallen solely upon those one or two players.   

oldhawg

« Reply #155 on: February 05, 2019, 07:28:30 pm »

nm

RyanMallettsEgo

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
« Reply #156 on: February 05, 2019, 07:30:19 pm »

Pay scale:

Good luck, coach.....

I will say, I am a fan of more incentive-driven contracts like this.

There's a reason these professional athletes seem to have upticks in production (save for Bryce Harper this past season) in their "contract year." They know that year is their audition for any future contracts so they bust their ass and seem to perform better statistically.

So I'm in favor of having more "contract year" type years more often.

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #157 on: February 05, 2019, 07:35:28 pm »

Notre Dame starting quarterback Ian Brook injured in the first quarter against Northwestern.  Brandon Wimbush stepped in to lead the Irish to 31-21 win.

Mike Weber, Ohio State running back injured in the third game of the season against TCU, opening the door for J. K. Dobbins. (2017 I think).  Ohio State continued to win throughout the season.

Weber also missed the shootout against Maryland in 2018 because of injury, which Ohio State won.

Rodney Anderson, Oklahoma, suffered a season ending injury in the second game of the season this year against UCLA.  Canít remember who replaced him.  But the Sooners survived.

MacKenzie Milton, UCF quarterback had a season ending injury in the second quarter against USF.  The Knights went on to win that game plus the next one against Memphis before losing to LSU.

Stanford Heisman hopeful Bryce Love missed playing time off and on all year because of injuries.  Stanford wound up with a 9-4 record.

Dexter Lawrence, perhaps Clemsonís best defensive tackle was ineligible to play against Alabama in the championship game.  Clemson didnít miss a beat.

When it comes to sports, who was it that said, ďNot all illness is fatal.Ē??  Thatís how I feel about a well-coached team.  When injuries happen to key players, a plan with effective assets is in place.  Perhaps the team is not as good as it was, but the obligation of preparing to win has not fallen solely upon those one or two players.   

So what youíre saying is we should have won one more game this season with those injuries.

And in most of those examples, itís likely the injured team was still measurably more talented than the team they beat even with the injuries. 

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #158 on: February 05, 2019, 07:38:24 pm »

only count to 3?  Chad has been a head coach for 4 years...won 7 games once.  Chad has already has more 7 loss seasons in 4 years than Bret has had in his entire career.  He will more than likely add to his total next year.  Bret needed to go, but Chad is not the second comming of Dabo, just the most glorified 4 win averagin' coach of all time.   Seriously though, I do thinkover a 5 year period Bret and Chad will be about equal.

So should I get back to you in 8 years or you still think you will need 9?...LOL

Slight difference between what they inherited. Barry Alvarez left Bert in very good shape. SMU was 1-11 or 0-12 the year before Morris got there with nary a TE on the roster..

RyanMallettsEgo

• Take it easy, I'm pre-law.
« Reply #159 on: February 05, 2019, 07:40:21 pm »

Yeah I'm not sure that using 3 playoff teams, 1 just-missed-the-playoffs team, and UCF and Stanford are really fair comparisons for what could/should be done at Arkansas right now.

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #160 on: February 05, 2019, 07:45:03 pm »

Pay scale:

Good luck, coach.....

Agree, can you imagine all the stud coaches rushing to sign up for a cherry deal like that?

oldhawg

« Reply #161 on: February 05, 2019, 09:01:21 pm »

Yeah I'm not sure that using 3 playoff teams, 1 just-missed-the-playoffs team, and UCF and Stanford are really fair comparisons for what could/should be done at Arkansas right now.

There's some truth to that statement.

Arkansas is a long way from the examples that I cited, but isn't that where most Razorback fans want the Hogs to be?  Had I cited similar examples of teams that had won, let's say 2-4 games, then folks could/would say, "See how devastating the injuries were to the team."  Maybe they were and maybe they weren't.

wachhog

« Reply #162 on: February 05, 2019, 09:41:49 pm »

And a bottle of Tito's....the guy is unbelievable. He will end up w a solid NFL career....if he keeps his mouth closed
But, he canít do that. Too much of a narcissist to keep his mouth closed.

twistitup

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #165 on: February 06, 2019, 10:31:42 am »

CALLED IT!! Braggart Bert at it again.

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #166 on: February 06, 2019, 10:36:31 am »

CALLED IT!! Braggart Bert at it again.

Do you have the link that quotes Bret actually saying he had the job?
Iíd like to read it. Thanks in advance.

twistitup

« Reply #167 on: February 06, 2019, 10:45:07 am »

...all the nfl insiders are lying, they just pulled the CBB thing out of their arses...is that what you believe?

Every report mention CBB saying he would be the next DC, is that surprising to you? ....not the least bit surprising to me.

....Miami might need him, he loves FL- seems like a better fit for him than NE
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 11:09:14 am by twistitup »

liljo

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #168 on: February 06, 2019, 10:59:19 am »

Agree, can you imagine all the stud coaches rushing to sign up for a cherry deal like that?
Haven't done the math, but wouldn't that be a cut in pay for Saban?

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #169 on: February 06, 2019, 11:03:10 am »

Iíve never seen anything of him actually saying it BUT with the way he likes to talk it wouldnít have surprised me to know he did.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 11:45:19 am by Inhogswetrust »

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #170 on: February 06, 2019, 11:10:53 am »

...all the nfl insiders are lying, they just pulled the CBB thing out out of their arses...is that what you believe?

Every report mention CBB saying he would be the next DC, is that surprising to you? ....no the least bit surprising to me.

....Miami might need him, he loves FL- seems like a better fit for him than NE

Iím not saying that anyone is lying. The original article stated,ďPer a league source, Bret Bielema, who joined the Patriots' staff this season as a 'consultant to the head coach,' has been telling people that he is going to become the Patriots' defensive coordinator.Ē

You act as though there have been multiple reports. Can you provide a link to one that didnít originate from the original article in The Globe? Sorry, but ďper a league sourceĒ is a very far cry from ďall the NFL insidersĒ that you claim.

Bret has a history of running is mouth. No doubt about it. But when a report comes out claiming he said something like this, Iíd like to read what he actually said.

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #171 on: February 06, 2019, 11:11:15 am »

Iíve never seen anythng of him actually saying it BUT with the way he likes to talk it wouldnít have surprised me to know he did.

Exactly.

twistitup

« Reply #172 on: February 06, 2019, 11:11:56 am »

Exactly.

?

So you are saying he didn't say it and it was all made up?

Fake news? Bielema is not important enough to make up news about him.

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #173 on: February 06, 2019, 11:13:21 am »

?

Nope. Not at all. I Would just like to read what he actually said.
Never said he didnít say it. Wouldnít have surprised me a bit if he did.

NFL sources have been wrong before.  ;)
https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/27/chris-mortensen-tells-story-behind-erroneous-deflategate-tweet/

Redhogs

« Reply #174 on: February 06, 2019, 11:18:47 am »

?

Man...is that the truth.

twistitup

« Reply #175 on: February 06, 2019, 11:20:50 am »

Nope. Not at all. I Would just like to read what he actually said.
Never said he didnít say it. Wouldnít have surprised me a bit if he did.

NFL sources have been wrong before.  ;)
https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/27/chris-mortensen-tells-story-behind-erroneous-deflategate-tweet/

They weren't wrong here....just reporting what CBB was spouting. If you notice, all article said "CBB is saying" not anybody from the Patriots. Why is it surprising CBB spew b.s. - you may be the only person on earth surprised.

Nice link... how many years ago was that? Nothing more current? Sources must be doing a pretty damn good job if that is all you can come up with.

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #176 on: February 06, 2019, 11:20:52 am »

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #177 on: February 06, 2019, 11:24:02 am »

They weren't wrong here....just reporting what CBB was spouting. If you notice, all article said "CBB is saying" not anybody from the Patriots. Why is it surprising CBB spew b.s. - you may be the only person on earth surprised.

Nice link... how many years ago was that? Nothing more current? Sources must be doing a pretty damn good job if that is all you can come up with.

Look twist, I canít understand why you think Iím surprised? Iíve said just the opposite, that it wouldnít surprise me one bit if CBB said it.
He has a habit of running his mouth. I never once said it didnít happen. I merely asked for a link or article that actually quoted Bret. Thereís a big difference in the two.
Okay?

twistitup

« Reply #178 on: February 06, 2019, 11:26:31 am »

. I merely asked for a link or article that actually quoted Bret.

You posted a link showing how insiders can be wrong.....but say 'I merely asked for a link'. You are implying the reporting was not accurate.

It was reported on by multiple outlets.....there are many links out there. Do you honestly believe the reporters made up the story?

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #179 on: February 06, 2019, 11:27:23 am »

You posted a link showing how insiders can be wrong.....merely asked for a link? You are implying the reporting was not accurate.

It was reported on by multiple outlets.....there are many links out there. Do you honestly believe the reporters made up the story?

NO! Dang man...really?

Athog

« Reply #180 on: February 06, 2019, 12:06:21 pm »

He had a hand in bringing the program I grew up loving to its knees through complacency and laziness. For that I will never forgive him.

For that I feel sorry for you!

HenduHog

• Razorbacks: Hostile and mobile
« Reply #181 on: February 06, 2019, 12:35:41 pm »

Heard it on the radio. NFL radio. BB is NOT the DC of NE.

Schiano

Hogwild

« Reply #182 on: February 06, 2019, 01:39:24 pm »

The Boston Globe reports that former Ohio State defensive coordinator Greg Schiano will be hired as defensive coordinator with the Patriots, who lost linebackers coach and defensive play-caller Brian Flores to the Miami Dolphins when he took the team's head coaching job one day after New England won Super Bowl LIII over the Rams.

Patriots coach Bill Belichick has a close relationship with Schiano, who had routinely consulted with Belichick during events like the NFL scouting combine

jimhog

• Varsity
« Reply #183 on: February 06, 2019, 06:41:17 pm »

Schiano is new DC

1highhog

• Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat.
« Reply #184 on: February 06, 2019, 07:04:03 pm »

Schiano is new DC

I actually hate this.  With Bret as coach it would have guaranteed the downfall of the Patriots for sure.

greasy_corner

« Reply #185 on: February 06, 2019, 08:21:50 pm »

I actually hate this.  With Bret as coach it would have guaranteed the downfall of the Patriots for sure.

And would have saved the RF some coin.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #186 on: February 06, 2019, 08:47:27 pm »

Big blowhard

King Kong

« Reply #187 on: February 06, 2019, 08:56:31 pm »

Dang it. We need someone to paid this guy to reduce our buyout

Ironhawg

« Reply #188 on: February 06, 2019, 09:17:17 pm »

Maybe Schiano will bring Bielema on board as a coach.

Sivad

« Reply #189 on: February 06, 2019, 09:43:07 pm »

Just curious, can anyone share the link or cite a source (who isnít anonymous) that actually quotes Bret saying he had the job?
Nope.

jkstock04

« Reply #190 on: February 06, 2019, 10:31:15 pm »

Another narrative bites the dust it seems.

I've wondered what it is exactly that Bielema does with the Patriots? Interesting to me we've never heard a word about any actual coaching duties but all of the sudden he's gonna become their defensive coordinator. Mmmkkkaaayyy. Maybe they wanna run that vaunted 3-4 defense we witnessed in 2017. Awesome times.

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #191 on: February 07, 2019, 01:51:13 am »

There are quite a few posts saying this is bunk BB didn't say that etc, anonymous sources etc.

A guy named Ben Volin wrote the article and while he doesn't name the sources, he does put HIS name on the story quoting those sources. Maybe double hearsay, but who among us familiar with Bert's alligator mouth can cast serious doubt that he said something like this?

I was surprised the day a lady co-worker of mine broke the news to me that "Bret somebody from Wisconsin" was the new HC. I thought maybe she was confusing someone with Brett Favre as she was not really a big sports fan.

I wasn't happy about the hire, wanted more of an offensive coach who would run a spread type offense, but I wanted to like the guy and for him to succeed.

There was a time when I thought he might, when the first pipeline to FL was opened up with AC and DK in the first class. Alas, that "pipeline" went dry after that, Pittman and Partridge left and we found out Partridge was the real reason that S. FL pair came here.

Pittman's replacement was a disaster and the HC's foot kept getting lodged in his mouth. Looking back now it should be obvious that Bert is all hat and no cattle as a HC without Alvarez telling him what to do.

I do think he COULD be successful as an assistant in the NFL IF he learned to reign in his tongue whether it's Tito's as some have said or narcissism that causes his problems.

He is likable in some ways and I hope he gets straight. But I also wish he would get a good paying job to relieve the RF of much of his remaining buyout.

Part of me wishes for him to succeed in the NFL and part of me gets chapped thinking about how he ran this program into the ground with equal parts laziness and imbibing..

I try not to dwell on the negatives and hope for the day we can stop talking about him altogether, including myself. That won't come without some wins. With better recruiting like we're seeing they will come or else CM will be the guy who is the butt of jokes and scorn in 2-3 years..

Ham Bones Jones

• Band Nerd
« Reply #192 on: February 07, 2019, 07:47:19 am »

#karma seems appropriate here.

buldozer

« Reply #193 on: February 07, 2019, 08:57:47 am »

Maybe burt said he was the next DC or maybe he didn't, but shooting his mouth off like that fits his personality perfectly based on his performance during the time he was our coach. All talk and no action is how I describe his time here. IMO he was one of the worse coaches ever to hold the AR job.

The Kig

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville Heroes
« Reply #194 on: February 07, 2019, 02:33:33 pm »

So... it's a "league source", which is anonymous, but it does cite a guy from the Boston Globe.

https://start.att.net/news/read/category/news/article/bleacher_report-patriots_rumors_bret_bielema_expects_to_be_next_dc-ablreport

code red

• You can't handle the truth!!!!!!
« Reply #195 on: February 07, 2019, 02:37:57 pm »

Pay scale:

Good luck, coach.....

Makes too much sense.

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #196 on: February 07, 2019, 03:12:04 pm »

So... it's a "league source", which is anonymous, but it does cite a guy from the Boston Globe.

https://start.att.net/news/read/category/news/article/bleacher_report-patriots_rumors_bret_bielema_expects_to_be_next_dc-ablreport

That is the original link that started this thread.  :)

But thatís okay.  ;)

The Kig

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville Heroes
« Reply #197 on: February 07, 2019, 03:53:37 pm »

That is the original link that started this thread.  :)

But thatís okay.  ;)

Ooops.... sorry.  Skimmed through several pages of the drivel and your question led me to the all-knowing Google.  Rumors on Hogville can sometimes simply be complete fabrications or rumors of something heard over the water cooler... shocking, I know.  Was trying to substantiate for myself that it wasn't just something we made up. 

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #198 on: February 07, 2019, 04:03:31 pm »

Ooops.... sorry.  Skimmed through several pages of the drivel and your question led me to the all-knowing Google.  Rumors on Hogville can sometimes simply be complete fabrications or rumors of something heard over the water cooler... shocking, I know.  Was trying to substantiate for myself that it wasn't just something we made up. 

I hear yaí. I was just really trying to get an actual quote hoping to learn what was really said and the context in which it was meant. Itís all good.

seasonhog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #199 on: February 07, 2019, 06:42:07 pm »

Must have written Belichick a nice letter.

Maybe in the letter, he said he fought in Rev. War as a Patriot. He told Long he was a hog farmer...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas