• 10,269,538 Posts
• 407,543 Topics
• 23,310 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Patrick Mahomes  (Read 5593 times)

Fairview76

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Patrick Mahomes
« on: January 23, 2019, 05:42:34 pm »

Does anyone know if Patrick Mahomes was interested in playing for the Razorbacks coming out of high school?  Betting a friend if the rumor is true or not.

31to6

Re: Patrick Mahomes
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 05:48:48 pm »

Does anyone know if Patrick Mahomes was interested in playing for the Razorbacks coming out of high school?  Betting a friend if the rumor is true or not.
He was. That was the year we signed Rafe Peavey.

On paper Rafe was a better prospect (LSU offer, etc) and much closer.

Hindsight is a b---- :)

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

hoggusamoungus

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 06:13:09 pm »

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2014/patrick-mahomes-410

ranman74

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 06:18:13 pm »

Haha that’s about how it always goes

CandleStick

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 06:24:03 pm »

Wouldn’t of mattered. Bielema wouldn’t of had the slightest clue on what to do with him. Mahomes probably would of regressed and not been the Star he is today.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 06:26:08 pm »

Dr. Starcs

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 07:15:43 pm »

In before easttex

psychhog

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 10:19:57 pm »

Wouldn’t of mattered. Bielema wouldn’t of had the slightest clue on what to do with him. Mahomes probably would of regressed and not been the Star he is today.

Very true. Instead, Coach Bro got ahold of him and turned him into a stud at tech and he’s now a very good nfl qb with a bright future ahead of him.

#hammerdown

• Senior
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 10:27:19 pm »

If we would have signed him instead of Peavey Hogville would have totally destructed.

We are not the only ones who missed.  He had 3 offers.  3

Mike Irwin

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 10:41:02 pm »

Very true. Instead, Coach Bro got ahold of him and turned him into a stud at tech and he’s now a very good nfl qb with a bright future ahead of him.
I wouldn't exactly say that coach Bro turned him into a stud although he certainly fit Texas Tech's offense better than Arkansas' under Bert.

Mahomes has taken off with NFL coaching.

Kingsbury is getting credit for Baker Mayfield too when in reality Mayfield was a walk on the entire time he was at Tech. Kingsbury would not give him a scholarship in the spring of his freshman year after he went 5-3 as a starter so he left.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 12:39:56 pm by Mike Irwin »

SooieGeneris

• Hogvillian
  • You don't ever want to be chasin' speed..
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 11:25:31 pm »

To hear many of our fans, Peavey would have been our Mahomes if he only hadn't had his crown usurped by those pesky Allen boys who only started because of their last name..

Just goes to show you that those recruiting ratings miss quite often with Peavey being ranked well ahead of Mahomes.

Peavey couldn't get on the field except for mop up duty at SMU or FAU after he left here.

I guess that's a sign of just how far the Allen tentacles reach;)

kodiakisland

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 11:29:08 pm »

I would't exactly say that coach Bro turned him into a stud although he certainly fit Texas Tech's offense better than Arkansas' under Bert.

Kingsbury is getting credit for Baker Mayfield too when in reality Mayfield was a walk on the entire time he was at Tech. Kingsbury would not give him a scholarship in the spring of his freshman year after he went 5-3 at a freshman starter so he left.

Just an observation, but you spent alot of time going on about professionalism in journalism on another thread, and then you use terms like Bert in this one.  Sends mixed signals.
Yeah, it's just a message board, but your name carries more weight than most.  Bert seems beneath you.

psychhog

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 06:47:50 am »

I would't exactly say that coach Bro turned him into a stud although he certainly fit Texas Tech's offense better than Arkansas' under Bert.

Kingsbury is getting credit for Baker Mayfield too when in reality Mayfield was a walk on the entire time he was at Tech. Kingsbury would not give him a scholarship in the spring of his freshman year after he went 5-3 at a freshman starter so he left.

Maybe he did and maybe he didn’t. Maybe mahomes would’ve been an awesome college qb wherever he went. Kingsbury’s track record speaks for itself though. At Houston he had case Keenum 5600yds, 48 tds, 5 int, 70pct completion. At aTm he coached manziel and we saw what year he had as a rFR winning the heisman. Then he went to tech and mahomes threw for over 10000 yards in 3 seasons and over 90 tds, most of those coming from his soph and jr years. I’d say he has a history of coaching qb’s well.

I don’t think he should get much credit for mayfield though because you are correct, Baker was a walk on and transferred to OU though he probably gained something being under kingsbury for the time he was there.

Swinelake

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 07:46:37 am »

Just an observation, but you spent alot of time going on about professionalism in journalism on another thread, and then you use terms like Bert in this one.  Sends mixed signals.
Yeah, it's just a message board, but your name carries more weight than most.  Bert seems beneath you.

I wonder if it's a typo. I hated the term Bert for a long time but accidentally used it myself occasionally because it's so pervasive.

I've never seen Mike use Bert before this post.

RazorPiggie

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2019, 07:56:23 am »

I wonder if it's a typo. I hated the term Bert for a long time but accidentally used it myself occasionally because it's so pervasive.

I've never seen Mike use Bert before this post.

He has a couple times recently that I've noticed.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I think its stupid and I do a lot of stupid stuff. I also find it funny when posters talk about his weight when I'm sure most of them are 30+ lbs overweight.

little pigee

• I'll get back to you on that...
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2019, 08:04:23 am »

I was thinking the exact same thing. I think its stupid and I do a lot of stupid stuff. I also find it funny when posters talk about his weight when I'm sure most of them are 30+ lbs overweight.
It's these pants that make my butt look big!

Redhogs

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2019, 08:05:53 am »

Being referred to as Bert is more than that lazy thief deserves. How about windbreaker wearing drunk...like that better? Had no respect for this program or he would have worked a little harder, he sure got paid to do so. From day one it was all about him, it just oozed from his pores, while he said all the right things he did all the wrong lazy things...so calling him Bert is what bothers you at this point...just amazing....he deserves NO respect from the state of Arkansas...it will take years to dig out of the hole he buried us in.

(notOM)Rebel123

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2019, 08:22:23 am »

How do you know this? Care to post your source?

Hog Fan...DOH!

• Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2019, 08:54:36 am »

I mean, Brandon Allen is on an NFL Roster.  Russell Wilson got better under CBB.  You don't think Enos and Chaney could have coached up Mahomes? 

Bielema didn't have much issue improving individual players. 

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2019, 09:10:31 am »

lol.. did you say Mahomes has taken off because of NFL coaching? He wasnt exactly an average player in college..lol... Hes doing the same stuff in the NFL that he was doing in college. Id venture to say coach Bro is potentially the reason he is where he is because it was his only legit solid offer. And its his offense that was able to showcase all of his talents. He wasnt a top 10 pick because of NFL coaching. I will say his career is where its at so far because of what NFL team drafted him. Perfect landing spot for him.

Seebs

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2019, 09:18:11 am »

When you are making a point about someone's writing  please use 'a lot' instead of 'alot', which is actually not a word.  Makes your case a bit stronger. 

EastexHawg

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 09:25:47 am »

Mahomes was the Texas Player of the Year as a senior.  He threw for over 4,600 yards and 50 TDs and ran for another 940 yards and 15 TDs that year.  That was in Texas 5A football, not teeny tiny Missouri high school ball in a place none of us could find on a map if we had ten minutes.

Patrick didn't play QB at Whitehouse until about the third game of his junior year if I recall correctly.  Until then he was a safety.  That's why no one got on him as a QB early, and apparently if coaches don't know about a kid early it's almost as if he doesn't exist.  I follow Whitehouse football because of a family connection and tried to tell everyone there was a kid who was the most extraordinary talent I had ever seen.  He was a man among boys.  Whitehouse is not a traditional powerhouse.  John Tyler is.  When undefeated Whitehouse played John Tyler for the district championship late in the year the QB matchup was Mahomes against Greg Ward, who became an ESPN hyped Heisman candidate at Houston.  Mahomes took the team on his back and beat Ward and John Tyler by I think 58-56.  In the last high school game he ever played, in the third round of the 5A playoffs, he threw for over 600 yards.

When I pointed out that based on conversations I had heard Mahomes could probably be had with a scholarship offer and wondered if anyone had a way of contacting the staff...at the time his only offer was from SMU...and that he had a family connection because his dad committed to play for Eddie Sutton, the predictable Hogville indignation followed.  "I think the coaches probably know a little more about recruiting than you do.  LOL."  Another good one was "we don't need another run first QB because he's not going to be able to out-athlete SEC competition."  I asked why anyone would make that comment without seeing him play, because the kid was definitely a passer and had a rocket arm.

My favorite was probably "we're on better quarterbacks."  We were on better QBs than the best player in Texas?  Oh, really.

As for his Tech career, in the first game that he started and finished, late in the year as a true freshman...against Oklahoma...Mahomes threw for 393 yards and 4 TDs.  In his third game he threw for a Big 12 freshman record 598 yards against Baylor, who was ranked #7.  In three full games he averaged 430 pass yards and I think 5 TDs.  Kingsbury didn't turn Mahomes into a great QB, he finally had to play him because of injuries and found out how good he was.

Mahomes was the best QB in college football for two years.  When he got to Tech they also had Davis Webb, who went on to star at Cal (4,275 pass yards and 37 TDs as a senior) and was drafted by the Giants in the 3rd round, and another QB named Baker Mayfield there.  Both of them saw Mahomes play and realized they were never going to see the field so they transferred.  Mahomes later threw for 734 yard and accounted for 819 total yards in a matchup with Mayfield, who of course won by I think 66-59 because Tech's defense was even worse than the Chiefs'.

And...I don't give a damn who got in before me.

jkstock04

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2019, 09:40:19 am »

And I always found it funny when people thought he was going to do awesome things here.

RazorPiggie

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2019, 12:19:50 pm »

And I always found it funny when people thought he was going to do awesome things here.

I was surprised he didn't.

farfromgroovins

• Varsity
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2019, 12:26:51 pm »

It's these pants that make my butt look big!

Me:  Would you like to dance?
Her: No!

Me: Oh no, you misunderstood me.  I didn't ask if you would like to dance.....I said you look fat in those pants.

Albert Swinestein

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2019, 12:33:52 pm »

I do not know Mike, so I do not know if that behavior is beneath him or not, but he has certainly done it more than once now.  Weird behavior.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Eric Musselman!
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2019, 12:42:18 pm »

In after Eastex!   8)

Do y'all remember when the censor would change "Bert" to "Bret?"  Good times...

HogPharmer

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2019, 12:46:48 pm »

In before easttex

Yeah but he started typing his response before you started on yours...

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2019, 12:49:23 pm »

In before Eastex says something nice about Jeff Long!  Not even close!  8)

EastexHawg

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2019, 02:14:25 pm »

In after Eastex!   8)

Do y'all remember when the censor would change "Bert" to "Bret?"  Good times...

The one I never figured out was why "gotten" was censored.  I don't know to this day.

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2019, 02:26:43 pm »

The one I never figured out was why "gotten" was censored.  I don't know to this day.
There were a couple of days when "firetruck" was censored.  I had a little fun with that.   ;D

yraciv

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2019, 02:30:47 pm »

http://forums.hogville.net/index.php?topic=554700.msg8602715#msg8602715

Eastex nailed it, some of you didn't. Pretty funny looking back.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2019, 02:34:53 pm »

Yes he did..The kid is special in many ways on and off the field... Rumors are he's looking at a $200,000,000.00 contract in KC.. 

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2019, 02:51:37 pm »

Yes he did..The kid is special in many ways on and off the field... Rumors are he's looking at a $200,000,000.00 contract in KC.. 
very likely..

Dr. Starcs

• Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2019, 02:54:47 pm »

Mahomes was the Texas Player of the Year as a senior.  He threw for over 4,600 yards and 50 TDs and ran for another 940 yards and 15 TDs that year.  That was in Texas 5A football, not teeny tiny Missouri high school ball in a place none of us could find on a map if we had ten minutes.

Patrick didn't play QB at Whitehouse until about the third game of his junior year if I recall correctly.  Until then he was a safety.  That's why no one got on him as a QB early, and apparently if coaches don't know about a kid early it's almost as if he doesn't exist.  I follow Whitehouse football because of a family connection and tried to tell everyone there was a kid who was the most extraordinary talent I had ever seen.  He was a man among boys.  Whitehouse is not a traditional powerhouse.  John Tyler is.  When undefeated Whitehouse played John Tyler for the district championship late in the year the QB matchup was Mahomes against Greg Ward, who became an ESPN hyped Heisman candidate at Houston.  Mahomes took the team on his back and beat Ward and John Tyler by I think 58-56.  In the last high school game he ever played, in the third round of the 5A playoffs, he threw for over 600 yards.

When I pointed out that based on conversations I had heard Mahomes could probably be had with a scholarship offer and wondered if anyone had a way of contacting the staff...at the time his only offer was from SMU...and that he had a family connection because his dad committed to play for Eddie Sutton, the predictable Hogville indignation followed.  "I think the coaches probably know a little more about recruiting than you do.  LOL."  Another good one was "we don't need another run first QB because he's not going to be able to out-athlete SEC competition."  I asked why anyone would make that comment without seeing him play, because the kid was definitely a passer and had a rocket arm.

My favorite was probably "we're on better quarterbacks."  We were on better QBs than the best player in Texas?  Oh, really.

As for his Tech career, in the first game that he started and finished, late in the year as a true freshman...against Oklahoma...Mahomes threw for 393 yards and 4 TDs.  In his third game he threw for a Big 12 freshman record 598 yards against Baylor, who was ranked #7.  In three full games he averaged 430 pass yards and I think 5 TDs.  Kingsbury didn't turn Mahomes into a great QB, he finally had to play him because of injuries and found out how good he was.

Mahomes was the best QB in college football for two years.  When he got to Tech they also had Davis Webb, who went on to star at Cal (4,275 pass yards and 37 TDs as a senior) and was drafted by the Giants in the 3rd round, and another QB named Baker Mayfield there.  Both of them saw Mahomes play and realized they were never going to see the field so they transferred.  Mahomes later threw for 734 yard and accounted for 819 total yards in a matchup with Mayfield, who of course won by I think 66-59 because Tech's defense was even worse than the Chiefs'.

And...I don't give a damn who got in before me.

Lmao. I called that post brothas

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2019, 02:57:07 pm »

This is gold...lol

#hammerdown

• Senior
  • Bring Back the Chrome Dome
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2019, 03:00:14 pm »

My two favorite posts from that thread:

“#25 by  The_Iceman on 02 Dec 2013
We have Austin Allen, Rafe Peavey, and Ty Storey lined up at QB for the next 5+ years. I think we're fine.

#26 by  mmhogs17 on 02 Dec 2013
Usually guys like this couldn't read a defense if it was spelled out for them.”

Eastex you should feel vindicated.  You definitely had an eye for talent.  It’s probably safe to say that Bret would still be the UA coach if he would have landed him.

EastexHawg

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2019, 03:05:18 pm »

We have Austin Allen, Rafe Peavey, and Ty Storey lined up at QB for the next 5+ years. I think we're fine.

Eastex you should feel vindicated.  You definitely had an eye for talent.  It’s probably safe to say that Bret would still be the UA coach if he would have landed him.

I never got an answer on what "guys like this" are.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2019, 03:05:45 pm »

Eastex you should feel vindicated.  You definitely had an eye for talent. It’s probably safe to say that Bret would still be the UA coach if he would have landed him.

HA!  you can't be serious... a 3 star QB coming to the Hogs ... never would have heard about Patrick until he was drafted in the 6-7th round and became a killer pick 2 years later.   

mckinneyhog5

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2019, 03:37:21 pm »

HA!  you can't be serious... a 3 star QB coming to the Hogs ... never would have heard about Patrick until he was drafted in the 6-7th round and became a killer pick 2 years later.   
Yea, never heard of Russell Wilson I guess.

HogPharmer

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2019, 03:39:53 pm »

Or Barry Alvarez?

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2019, 03:40:34 pm »

Thank you My point    ;)

woodrow hog call

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2019, 05:11:18 pm »

I heard the coaching staff thought he was crosseyed, cause he kept looking to the right and throwing bullets to the left hash, they thought he might hurt a receiver by hitting him with the ball when he wasn't ready.

31to6

« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2019, 05:35:28 pm »

I heard the coaching staff thought he was crosseyed, cause he kept looking to the right and throwing bullets to the left hash, they thought he might hurt a receiver by hitting him with the ball when he wasn't ready.
Hitting receivers in the hands with no-look passes that hard is just a good way to break a finger.

GoHogs1091

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2019, 10:48:54 pm »

Razorback Athletic history is littered with Coaches and players who should have been at the UofA, but weren't.  The reasons why they were not are varied, but mostly it was because of incompetence, Administration politics, booster politics, and poor recruiting decisions.  Here are some that should have been Head Coaches and players at the UofA.

Bear Bryant
Jimmy Johnson
Tommy Tuberville
Brent Venables
Bill Self
Dick Booth
Willie Roaf
Monte Coleman
DeAngelo Williams
Cortez Kennedy
Patrick Mahomes

The Hawg Marshal

• " National Champs 1909,1964 and 1977. "
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2019, 10:15:12 am »

I remember it very well.

Bash

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2019, 12:42:08 pm »

Bert seems beneath you.

If his computer is like mine, Bret always auto corrects to Bert.

yraciv

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2019, 01:31:01 pm »

If his computer is like mine, Bret always auto corrects to Bert.

Can someone explain to me the humor in always calling Bret, Bert?  I never got it. Did you just call him that when you were pissed off at him, which I guess was most of the time. If that is the case, I would say Bret Bielema's coaching record is pretty good, and that Bert guy who coach at Arkansas is the bad one. 

If people started calling me something than my name, I wouldn't laugh or take offense to it, would just think it is dumb.

Bash

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2019, 01:39:12 pm »

Can someone explain to me the humor in always calling Bret, Bert?  I never got it.

Me either.  And I have no idea why my computer does that.

k.c.hawg

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2019, 01:44:42 pm »

I know they didn't win a lot but wth does a guy have to do??

32 games    11,252 yds passing   98 TD's   29 Int's     848 yds rushing     22 TD's

And yes I will be the first to admit you never know if a Tech QB is going to translate into an NFL QB but they seemed to know. Got critized widely by many for spending what they did to move up. Doubled down by trading an affordable QB that had averaged 11 wins.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas