• 10,226,422 Posts
• 406,701 Topics
• 23,288 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 2020 Recruiting Class  (Read 4218 times)

redleg

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
2020 Recruiting Class
« on: January 22, 2019, 11:57:28 am »

I know there are at least two girls in-state that Mike Neighbors might be going after. Sasha Goforth, a 5* 6'1" wing from Fayetteville, and Elauna Eaton, a 4* 6'0" wing from Jonesboro. Neighbors also might go after 4* PG Yasmin Ott of LR Christian.
Are there any other in-state players, and does anyone know about any out of state girls Mike might have a shot to sign?
With 5 seniors on the team next year, I would think a 5 player class might be signed.

CandleStick

Re: 2020 Recruiting Class
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 12:14:40 pm »

I know there are at least two girls in-state that Mike Neighbors might be going after. Sasha Goforth, a 5* 6'1" wing from Fayetteville, and Elauna Eaton, a 4* 6'0" wing from Jonesboro. Neighbors also might go after 4* PG Yasmin Ott of LR Christian.
Are there any other in-state players, and does anyone know about any out of state girls Mike might have a shot to sign?
With 5 seniors on the team next year, I would think a 5 player class might be signed.

Well first thing there’s no might to Goforth and Eaton. Both have offers and have been being pursued for a couple years now. He would gladly take both of them if possible.

Ott on the other hand is not SEC material and doesn’t have an offer from Arkansas that I know of. Plus Ott has kind of handicapped herself by going to LRCA. I’m pretty sure she will now how to sit the rest of this season and the first half of next season. So only being out there for a semester of senior year will hurt.  Plus Langerman is committed in the 20 class at a potential PG position.

Other 20’s in Arkansas that have offers would be Beck and Salary. I don’t think Beck will become a hog. She’s had an offer for a long time and hasn’t shown much interest. I would be surprised if she still has that offer. Salary is a player that Mike would love to have as well but haven’t heard much about her lately.

Right now Mike has two 20’s committed in Langerman and McGhee. Langerman out of Oklahoma and McGhee out of the Memphis area I believe.

Someone with an outside shot may be Priscilla Williams out of Branson. Very good long athletic player that hasn’t been mentioned much.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

psycHOGlogist

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Skepticism is a virtue.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 02:07:10 pm »

McGhee is from Alabama, just to be a stickler.

The roster in 2020 will look like so (presuming that everyone stays):

Sr: Dungee (RS), Gaulden (RS), Spangler, Thomas, Weaver, Ramirez (RS)

Jr: Doumbia, Barnum (I think - or will she still be considered a soph for eligibility purposes?)

Soph: Oberg, Daniels, Reece, Davis

FR: Three vacant spots to fill: Current commits from Rylee Langerman and Destinee McGhee

The presumption that everyone above will still be on the roster in 2020 is perhaps a bit dubious.

As it stands today, we have one additional 2020 scholarship available. I strongly suspect, though, that we'll try to get at least two more 2020 commits. I won't speculate on who might not be on the roster - some guesses are probably obvious, but some things are just totally unpredictable.

2020 prospects we have offered includee:

The aforementioned in-state kids: Beck, Salary, Goforth, and Eaton. I do not expect either of the first two to be Hogs. Based on nothing other than social media observation, I would guess that we have a better shot at Goforth than Eaton, but you really have to hope we get at least one, if not both.

Outside Arkansas, we have offered Williams, as CandleStick noted. I am not sure that we have much of a shot at her at this point, however. She seems very interested in Mizzou and Texas schools, both places she has lived during HS. We have offered a kid named MyKaylyn Davis from Florida (guard), but again I'm not sure where things stand with her. She sort of blew up last summer, but maybe seems to have fallen back to earth a bit over the fall and winter. We had also offered Sarah Ashlee Barker out of Alabama, but she has committed to UGA. I don't think we are on any additional 2020 bigs. We got McGhee, which is who we wanted.

The 2021 class will possibly be quite large (again, presuming that the roster stays as is), with 6 seniors departing. We have offered a LOT of truly blue-chip 2021s and have one commit from a diamond-in-the-rough, excellent small high school player with huge upside, 6-2 (as a sophomore) Emrie Ellis out of OK. We have also offered Maryam Dauda (6'5") of Bentonville; Jersey Wolfenbarger from FS Northside; Payton Verhulst of Kansas/Bishop Miege; Aaliyah Moore, Raycheal Harjo, and Chantae Embry out of OK, and several others. These players all have very good size (I think Jersey and Payton are both about 6'1, and they're the shortest among these names). Wolfenbarger and Verhulst can shoot the rock, and Embry and Moore are great small forward types. I think we have also offered, but I can't swear to it, Wynter Rogers (5'11") out of LRCA.

We have also offered several 2022's, some instate and some in OK, that I'm aware of.

Mike and his staff have done an outstanding job of identifying and getting after local talent that will fit in his system. And they seem to be able to get kids from a ways away, too, in Oberg, Daniels, and McGhee so far. I see no reason to not have a lot of confidence in the direction of recruiting under CMN.

flippinhogmana

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Nathan J Allison - Brothers to the Bone Books
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 02:57:43 pm »

and never forget injury's effect either.  If you look on A&M box scores you havent seen Aalayiah Wilson in about a month.  She tore both the ACL and the other ligament in one of her knees.  Could happen to one of our players from time to time as well.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 03:35:20 pm »

I hope we get longer and bigger.  I do not think we can challenge for the SEC title until we start scoring better in the middle plus better  rebounding and defense in the paint.

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 04:54:06 pm »

I hope we get longer and bigger.  I do not think we can challenge for the SEC title until we start scoring better in the middle plus better  rebounding and defense in the paint.
You do realize that we have never challenged for the SEC title.  We have never been in the top four in the conference standings at the end and we have only made the final four at the SEC tournament twice - once loosing to Georgia and the other time to Vanderbilt.  We have to learn how to walk before we learn how to run for the title.

parallaxpig

• Hogvillian
  • Man that ball got outta here in a hurry.
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 06:03:52 pm »

Are there any transfers sitting out this year?

flippinhogmana

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 06:09:48 pm »

Are there any transfers sitting out this year?

Amber Ramirez a five star who is coming over from TCU (she is already on the roster if you check).  She is every-bit as good as Dungee and will play point.

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 10:55:03 pm »

Just as an FYI, 2023 G Chloe Clardy from LR was on campus for an unofficial visit today (USC game), per her social media. She is going to be great, and we're doing well to start with her now.

hawg1221

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 11:47:02 am »

They have to start getting some bigger/taller players WITH BASKETBALL SKILLS, not just a warm body.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 03:48:22 pm »

You do realize that we have never challenged for the SEC title.  We have never been in the top four in the conference standings at the end and we have only made the final four at the SEC tournament twice - once loosing to Georgia and the other time to Vanderbilt.  We have to learn how to walk before we learn how to run for the title.

Its a new day so I'm hoping new highs.  In BB it just takes the right 2- 4 girls to get you allot of wins.   

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 02:58:00 pm »

Here is a piece on the rehab of 2021 Chantae Embry, 6'1" PF type out of Prague, OK. She committed to OK State very early, but then opened back up last spring or summer. We were the first program to offer her after she opened things back up, and she has been on at least one unofficial, perhaps more, to the Hill. Before her injury, she was a very well thought of freshman, and she has been playing her AAU ball with the Banshees. If her rehab goes well, she is one to keep an eye on, imo.

https://www.news-star.com/news/20190202/after-injury-embry-focuses-on-leadership-encouragement

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2019, 04:01:10 pm »

I like her.  She has the size that fits well in the SEC.  As I said we are doing well in Oklahoma.

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 08:16:14 pm »

Coach Goldwire’s insta story indicates that she’s up in Branson this evening. Have to presume this means that she is there watching Priscilla Williams, which is great news. Happy we are still actively recruiting her. Coach Love is on her way to Alabama. Wonder if she is going to see McGhee’s playoff game and/or see someone else?

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 12:12:57 pm »

Coach Goldwire’s insta story indicates that she’s up in Branson this evening. Have to presume this means that she is there watching Priscilla Williams, which is great news. Happy we are still actively recruiting her. Coach Love is on her way to Alabama. Wonder if she is going to see McGhee’s playoff game and/or see someone else?
  I was not familiar with her.  She looks phenomenal.  A 6'2" point guard in the women's game that is still growing and is averaging over 30 points a game and can shoot the three.  Get her and we are on our way. 

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2019, 12:50:15 pm »

I think that Williams is more of a 2 guard than a PG, per se, but she probably can run the point some. She is clearly an elite 2020 target. We offered her shortly after CMN arrived, when she was still living in Texas (she has moved back and forth between Missouri and Texas a couple times, I think). I'm really not sure what our chances are with her -- she seems to have a lot of interest in Mizzou and the predictable TX teams (UT, Baylor) -- but we'd be insane not to try. She is very interested in Mizzou commit Aijha Blackwell on social media, but ... they may play the same position? I'm not really sure.

Here's a tweet about her, with a link to a paywalled article I haven't read, that mentions us as involved.
https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1064558342801162240

Go get her, Coach Goldwire!

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2019, 01:45:57 pm »

The top article states she is the # 16 recruit in the class of 2020 and the # 2 Point guard.  However, having watched her videos she could play any position - just like Candace Parker did for Tennessee.  Neither article states any interest from Baylor or Texas.

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2019, 07:20:06 pm »

McGhee’s junior season continues to go well.

https://twitter.com/arrecruitingguy/status/1100927673675771904?s=21

I believe that Coach Love was in attendance for this game.

Coach Goldwire is also in Minnesota, presumably to keep tabs on Oberg. Love that this staff keeps after it with signees and commits.

EHog97

• Band Nerd
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2019, 11:44:17 pm »

I know that this is a 2020 thread but Coach Neighbors was at the 6A State basketball tournament tonight for Marquesha Davis. She had 17 of SHS’s 31 points and contributed a lot in steals, rebounds, etc. Good player

Hogfan_14

• Band Nerd
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2019, 10:23:03 am »

McGhee’s junior season continues to go well.

https://twitter.com/arrecruitingguy/status/1100927673675771904?s=21

I believe that Coach Love was in attendance for this game.

Coach Goldwire is also in Minnesota, presumably to keep tabs on Oberg. Love that this staff keeps after it with signees and commits.

So excited for her arrival in a few years!  I found a highlight video of her semi-final performance.

https://www.rocketcitynow.com/sports/sports-video/day-3-of-ahsaa-semifinal-action_20190228041402/1815693040?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_MoCarterWZDX

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2019, 10:08:45 pm »

I believe that Coach Goldwire was in Stillwater tonight watching the 3A OK state qualifiers. Christian Heritage, where 2020 commit Rylee Langerman plays, won their qualifier 57-45 over Jones High, and they now advance to the State Tournament. Jones was ranked #3 in the state in 3A (Christian Heritage was #6), and I believe this was only the second loss for Jones all season.

In 2A action, the Vanoss team of 2021 commit Emrie Ellis was not as fortunate, falling in their qualifier to Fairview, 37-26 (a low scoring affair there!). Vanoss, ranked #4 going into the game, probably would have been favored over Fairview, who was ranked #7.

I also assume that some of our staff will be watching the Arkansas 6A tournament at Bentonville West this weekend. Fayetteville knocked off North Little Rock last night in overtime, and they will face FT Smith Northside tomorrow in the semis, who comfortably beat Bryant.

Bentonville drubbed LR Central today, and they will face Conway, who easily beat Rogers, in the other semi.

These teams feature numerous Arkansas recruits - 2020 Sasha Goforth for Fayetteville, 2021 Maryam Dauda for Bentonville, and 2021 Jersey Wolfenbarger for Northside, to name the most prominent. 2019 signee Marquesha Davis’s Springdale Red Dogs lost in the first round to Little Rock Central in OT, and 2022 recruit Amauri Williams’s NLR team went down to FHS, as noted above.

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2019, 10:39:46 pm »

Just spending some time looking over the OK playoff results, and man, there are a lot of “upsets” according to the OSSAA rankings.

Muldrow had not lost a game all year and were ranked #1. They lost to Victory Christian, the #8 ranked 4A team tonight - by 11 points.

Vanoss had been on quite a roll before tonight’s loss, having recorded a win over top-ranked (2A) Dale.

There were several other surprises, as well, such as Moore HS (featuring Aaliyah Moore (Hog offer), Raychel Harjo (Hog offer), and Payton Andrews, lost their qualifier to Sand Springs 57-43. Moore had been ranked #3, Sand Springs #6.

brs_hogfan

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2019, 08:28:11 am »

I also assume that some of our staff will be watching the Arkansas 6A tournament at Bentonville West this weekend. Fayetteville knocked off North Little Rock last night in overtime, and they will face FT Smith Northside tomorrow in the semis, who comfortably beat Bryant.

Bentonville drubbed LR Central today, and they will face Conway, who easily beat Rogers, in the other semi.

These teams feature numerous Arkansas recruits - 2020 Sasha Goforth for Fayetteville, 2021 Maryam Dauda for Bentonville, and 2021 Jersey Wolfenbarger for Northside, to name the most prominent. 2019 signee Marquesha Davis’s Springdale Red Dogs lost in the first round to Little Rock Central in OT, and 2022 recruit Amauri Williams’s NLR team went down to FHS, as noted above.

Those should be good games in Bentonville this weekend for anyone wanting to check-out some of the top in-state talent. Northside is the clear favorite as they have by far the deepest team and only lost one game all year. But all four teams remaining have multiple D1 level players and both semi-final games should be quite competitive. I have fingers crossed for us signing all three of Goforth, Dauda, and Wolfenbarger. I'm most confident on our chances with Goforth. But Dauda would be huge for us (no pun intended) on the defensive side and Wolfenbarger, like Goforth, provides a lot of versatility.

In NLR's quarter final loss to FHS, you could see freshman Amauri Williams' potential. While it's true, as some others have pointed out, that she is not speedy, she is really strong and I thought she got up and down the floor at an acceptable pace.

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2019, 06:46:08 pm »

Northside needs 3OT’s to beat Fayetteville 64-62.

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2019, 07:54:00 pm »

Bentonville clobbers Conway by 30, setting up a Dauda vs Wolfenbarger final.

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2019, 11:09:38 am »

Bentonville is a lot more than Dauda.  They are a nice team but not full of top college players.

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2019, 11:18:56 am »

I wasn’t meaning to suggest that either team was just one player - though obviously that’s how that post reads. I was just referring to the Arkansas recruits. Northside has other good players, too, like the Bershers sisters.

Should be a good game!

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2019, 11:35:01 am »

Write-up with some video on the Northside vs Fayetteville semi-final.

https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2019/mar/03/northside-prevails-in-3-overtimes-20190/

brs_hogfan

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2019, 01:10:17 pm »

Bentonville clobbers Conway by 30, setting up a Dauda vs Wolfenbarger final.

I'm surprised by the margin although Dauda's presence in the middle can be very disruptive to teams who are used to being able to drive inside at will. Also, one of Conway's best players (Asiyah Smith) recently went down with a knee injury (ACL tear I think) so I'm sure that hurt them.

The final should be very interesting. Northside has a lot of outside shooters so they shouldn't be as bothered by Dauda in the middle. But Bentonville has been coming on strong, undefeated since losing to Fayetteville much earlier in the season.

Hogfan_14

• Band Nerd
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2019, 10:23:28 am »

After watching FS Northside vs Fayetteville, I'm definitely convinced that Wolfenbarger is the real deal.  Her skill set for just being a sophomore 6'1 guard is really impressive, and she still has 2 more years to develop even further.  She's got some great highlight videos on Hudl for her if anyone is interested.

flippinhogmana

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2019, 11:45:22 am »

After watching FS Northside vs Fayetteville, I'm definitely convinced that Wolfenbarger is the real deal.  Her skill set for just being a sophomore 6'1 guard is really impressive, and she still has 2 more years to develop even further.  She's got some great highlight videos on Hudl for her if anyone is interested.

Yes she has a nice combination of size and skill set.  She is also friends and sometimes AAU teammate with Dauda.  We offered both of them close together some time back.

brs_hogfan

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2019, 04:30:05 pm »

I think she would be an excellent recruit for us. My only hesitation would be speed and strength. Beck had no trouble blowing by her in the FHS game which made me wonder about Wolfenbarger's foot speed. And she is very skinny. Offensively, she used her height very effectively against the small guard FHS had on her but she was unable to create a good shot or score any points at all against Goforth once FHS finally switched Goforth on to her in the third quarter (Goforth got into early foul trouble so FHS was apparently trying to keep her safe from further foul trouble until Wolfenbarger kept dominating the small guard, who I think is about 5'6", and FHS lead evaporated). She did hit some free throws in the end but one of those fouls was from Beck pushing through a screen and another was a purposeful foul with time running out.

She is an excellent shooter, a good ball handler, and a savvy player. So overall, very positive. But foot speed on defense is a question mark I think. She grew extremely quickly going from being rather small to 6'1" so I am sure she is adjusting to that also.

flippinhogmana

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2019, 05:45:00 pm »

yeah, you are also referring to a senior in Goforth, schooling a sophomore that is still growing into her feet!

brs_hogfan

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2019, 05:54:20 pm »

yeah, you are also referring to a senior in Goforth, schooling a sophomore that is still growing into her feet!

Goforth is a junior, not a senior. But yep, a year of further development can make a big difference.

flippinhogmana

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2019, 08:36:33 pm »

I wasnt sure if she was a junior or senior when I wrote that, but I know that you are a little ungainly on your feet like a colt when you have a growth spurt, so I knew Goforth definitely had the advantageous.

Hogfan_14

• Band Nerd
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2019, 09:45:01 am »

I agree.  She's got 2+ years to settle into that spurt, so combine that with the existing skill set, pretty darn good recruit by next year even, much less as a senior.

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2019, 11:52:34 am »

She is getting a lot of P5 attention, not just from the Hogs. She has offers from Purdue, Wake Forest, Kansas, Kansas St., Ole Miss, and probably others.

brs_hogfan

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2019, 04:00:42 pm »

Wow, impressive performance by Jersey Wolfenbarger in the championship game!

Game winning shot: https://twitter.com/woodrumma81/status/1104140109614587904

EHog97

• Band Nerd
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2019, 05:41:01 pm »

I've refrained commenting on the 6A girls basketball championship because I'm a FS Northside fan and didn't want to jinx anything!  ;)

But hats off to Bentonville for nearly pulling it out--I thought the Lady Bears were gone with about 3 minutes left in the game. We were just incredibly lucky.

That being said, Jersey Wolfenbarger is an incredible player. That shot's cemented her legacy in the tournament already, but she has been a clutch player all year long. She hit a very similar shot to take NLR to overtime (FSN's only loss). Once Jersey adds some more weight and muscle, she will be extremely tough to guard. Just hard for her to drive in right now, but that will come in the future.

Once she adds that ability to drive to the basket effectively, her game will be so much like Chelsea Dungee's imo. Very excited to see what the future holds for Jersey!

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2019, 12:06:47 am »

In his post- tournament press conference, CMN referenced making several home visits (8?) over the course of the next week. It seems that he and Coach love visited Taylen Collins in Oklahoma on Monday night.

https://twitter.com/tlc4kj3/status/1105293493839298561?s=19

psycHOGlogist

psycHOGlogist

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2019, 12:24:20 am »

FYI, Collins's Muldrow squad lost to Anadarko in the 4A final.

Similarly, 2020 commit Rylee Langerman's Christian Heritage team lost in the 3A final to Adair.

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2019, 08:23:37 am »

The Razorback Nation TV (Fayetteville NBC affiliate) has a 30 minute sports show on Sunday evening.  The recruiting analyst talked to Jersey on Saturday.  She is friends with Isiah Joe and was at the men's game on Saturday.  He said that all she could talk about is Arkansas and coach Neighbors.  She is a big Arkansas fan.  That is good news to hear.

parallaxpig

• Hogvillian
  • Man that ball got outta here in a hurry.
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2019, 09:10:12 am »

The girl from I believe LR Central who is attending classes at UofA. Any word on her eligibility status.

LadybackBBFan

« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2019, 11:02:39 am »

The girl from I believe LR Central who is attending classes at UofA. Any word on her eligibility status.
You are talking about Barnum.  As I reported two weeks ago, I asked her if we would see her on the court next year?  She gave me an emphatic YES.  Only time will tell.  Coach can not talk about the situation.  She would definitely help next year if she is eligible.

brs_hogfan

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2019, 09:23:53 am »

Check-out the second photo of the series from this tweet about Taylen Collins being named NOAA conference best all around player: https://twitter.com/_Sports00/status/1106644472031514624

i.e. the photo of her rebounding a ball near the rim.

She is fast, strong, and can really jump! I hope our home visit with her went well!

BWS

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2019, 01:29:48 pm »

Wolfenbarger has star written all over her. I'm sure Mike Neighbors is recruiting her hard.

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2019, 10:06:00 pm »

He is. He was down in Ft Smith earlier this week. Have heard from a couple sources that she really likes CMN and, because she is very good friends with Isaiah Joe, that she is very excited about the prospect of being a Hog. Obviously not a done deal at this point — she’s a sophomore — but I believe we’re doing a good job with her.

psycHOGlogist

« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2019, 10:46:56 pm »

Makayla Daniels’ Frederick HS squad won their 3rd consecutive Class 3A Maryland state championship today, and Daniels led the way with 26 points.

This article is written mostly from the point of view of their opponent, Poly, who evidently is some kind of hard-luck, snake-bit team when it comes to championship games. The Minnesota Vikings, if you will, of the MD girls HS basketball world.

Pretty impressive feat - Daniels sounds like she is going to be good!

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/high-school/bs-sp-va-bkg-2a-girlsfinal-20190316-story.html

Ok, some extra Google-fu found this local news story that includes video — Daniels is featured.

https://www.localdvm.com/sports/maryland-sports/poly-vs-frederick-girls-basketball/1854872529

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas