• 10,226,519 Posts
• 406,702 Topics
• 23,288 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: NFL Overtime Rules...  (Read 3140 times)

DZ

Re: NFL Overtime Rules...
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2019, 07:40:59 am »

The NFL wanted this SB to be an east coast team versus a west coast them -- and surprise surprise they got what they wanted.  The difference between the NFL and WWE isn't all that much really. 

After they way the NFL helped the Rams leave STL (despite the fan base still supporting that lackluster team) when it was obvious the owner was sabotaging the team, I knew that KC was going to have an uphill against NE today -- because they would also have to beat the zebras.
This is ridiculous. KC had an uphill battle because they couldn't play offense in the first half.

hoglady

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2019, 07:41:32 am »

"Roughing the passer" on a game ending 3rd and 7 consists of hitting the qb on the arm while throwing the ball.

The ref that threw that flag was so out of position to make that call. He couldn't even see Brady's face.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Dr. Starcs

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2019, 08:27:14 am »

Now you are just making darn up.

There were only 2 PI calls in the game on the Patriots.

One was when Jackson tackled Kelce in the EZ two steps before the ball arrived because he got beat.

The other you could argue, but it was on the play where there was also roughing when Van Noy hit him low, and so instead of a 23 yard penalty it would have been 15.

So it wasnít ďseveralĒ and the only one you can even argue only netted 8 yards and the roughing would have been an automatic first down.

The officiating was crap and the most blantant example is Mahomes *actually* hit in the head [technically, in the neck, but that counts as a hit to the ďheadĒ in the NFL QB roughing rule] by Flowers (admittedly not very hard) no call. Brady *actually not hit at all* (and even if he had made contact it would have been just a brush) keeps a critical scoring drive alive.

Still doesnít keep the NFL overtime rules from being stupid.

Oh yes, I forgot about the defensive holding calls against the pats and the no-call on the kc pick play that led to their last touchdown.

The refs were bad all around. But they didnít determine the outcome of the game. Kc did that when they didnít show up for 3 quarters. Too little too late. Sorry, enjoy the offseason.

vandybuff

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2019, 08:34:31 am »

Imagine being an MLB team in the NL/ALCS:

You hang in the game and force extra innings. The officials flip a coin and the opposing team wins the toss. They (obviously) elect to bat. If they score, you lose without even getting a chance to tie the game because of a coin toss

I am thankful they did not 'review' the coin toss.  :) 

Ray_Finkle

• Varsity
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2019, 09:03:39 am »

How was it stolen? 
Why would the nfl help the pats?

Because the NFL made the KC player line up offsides.  Don't you know anything?  They also made KC not double team Gronk when he was lined up at WR, and also made them not but a LB on the inside of Edelman every single time he lined up.

sevenof400

• Is it too late to remember what was best in life?
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2019, 09:13:19 am »

Maybe they should have each teamís squad leader come out and Indian leg wrestle at mid field for the ball instead of the coin flip? Or, maybe the xfl style two man scrum? Hell, maybe they create a new position just this scenario called scrum fielder?  How bout an NHLish style FG shootout where they back kicks up 10 yards at a time until the first make and miss decides it?

This is why Hamsay is the most under appreciated resource on HV!

Rudy Baylor

« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2019, 09:20:51 am »

This is why Hamsay is the most under appreciated resource on HV!

When we all look back at our time here, I think we'll all be glad to say we lived in the times of Boardon Hamsay

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2019, 09:33:20 am »

Get a damn defense. That's what I would be telling Andy Reid if I was in the front office. He's never going to win a super bowl without one.
he was a coin toss away from possibly doing it this year..lol

DoubleReedHawgCaller

• That's nice.... Real nice!
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2019, 09:45:14 am »

I would like to see OT in the NFL set up like basketball OT. 5 minute quarters with both teams having 3 to's with alternating possession rule. No coin flip. Whoever ended regulation with the ball, the opposing team gets it to start OT. Alternating possession rule is in affect for all OT quarters.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2019, 09:47:09 am »

Brady better send Ford some flowers and a thank you note!!!

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2019, 09:51:32 am »

The ref that threw that flag was so out of position to make that call. He couldn't even see Brady's face.

Wasnít it the one responsible for watching the QB through the play the threw the flag?   He just had a bad angle.  they said it best on tv, donít call it unless you see it

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The Peopleís Mod
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2019, 09:53:13 am »

Wasnít it the one responsible for watching the QB through the play the threw the flag?   He just had a bad angle.  they said it best on tv, donít call it unless you see it

unless its the Saints, then it's "don't call it even if you do see it". 

hawgwash

« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2019, 10:14:34 am »

Correct. The flip does not win you the game. But it guarantees you a shot on offense, something the loser of the toss is not guaranteed.

These are the ONLY overtime rules across the board that guarantee one team an advantage over the other via a coin toss
Not quite true.  I agree the college OT rules are much better, but even there the coin toss includes a big advantage.  That's why every college team chooses defense when they win the toss.  I agree with another poster that the best way would be OT periods of a defined time, like basketball.  Enough time to guarantee both teams are on both offense and defense.

oldhog63

« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2019, 11:17:06 am »

KC had that game stolen from them.  Patriot advantage is alive and well. I'm glad I don't watch much Sunday football anymore.

Other than the super bowl and parts of some play-off games, I haven't watched Sunday football for a few years. Yesterday, I watched both games. Reminded me why I quit watching the NFL.

I didn't care who won either game, but it was obvious the refs influenced both games. Others have posted about the Brady roughing. An example that went KC's way is before that Brady roughing. Other than blatant PI calls, the refs let the DB's and receivers play. KC gets behind late and has to come back. The PI call at the end for a 40 yard penalty hadn't been called all game. Now all of a sudden KC needs to score and the ref picks that play to call a ticky-tack PI. Garbage! And don't even start about the no-call PI in the Saints-Rams game.

STLhawg

• Senior
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2019, 11:18:13 am »

KC was allowed to hold pat receirvers all day, which I was kind of surprised they allowed it.
And NE receivers were being allowed to push off too; it allowed Gronkowski to get open more than once.

Dr. Starcs

« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2019, 11:20:41 am »

Rams found a way to win in overtime after not winning the coin toss. Chiefs offense didnít show up for 3 quarters, and their d didnít show up in overtime. That simple.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2019, 11:24:04 am »

Game called fairly. Lol. Chiefs benefited from several questionable pi calls. The offense not showing up for 3 quarters cost them more than any calls.

Shows you how awesome the Chiefs can be, offense only showed up for 1 qtr and still tied the Patriots in regulation.. ;D

Dr. Starcs

« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2019, 12:09:31 pm »

Shows you how awesome the Chiefs can be, offense only showed up for 1 qtr and still tied the Patriots in regulation.. ;D

Congratulations
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 12:29:03 pm by Dr. Starcs »

hawgmasta

• All-American Hogvillian
  • I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2019, 12:13:37 pm »

Actually I don't have to respect the "hustle" because I suspect it's a different kind of hustle (than what you mean) that is notably assisting their success.  I say that because they have both been caught cheating so that leads me to believe that at least one of them is still doing it (having only learned to hide it better).

If you donít think cheating is as rampant in the pros as in college, if not more, then your in for a big surprise.

Bass_Hawg

« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2019, 12:23:51 pm »

So let me get this straight, the league does everything in it's power to weaken the defenses and boost up the offenses league wide. But when it comes to OT you should have a great defense? Who were all the great defensive teams in the league this year and why aren't they going to the Super Bowl?
Exactly. The NFL is doing everything in its power to weaken Defensive play yet they they hold on to this OT format.

mckinneyhog5

« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2019, 12:40:16 pm »

A stat I saw a few years ago had it something like...

Win coin toss-win game 49%
Lose coin toss-win game 51%

on top of that only 14% of teams that went into OT lost the game w/o getting a possession (other team scored a TD on first possession). In other words 86% of the time teams get a chance to win or tie the game even though they lost the coin flip.

seems even to me..

I could come up with 10 reasons the Chiefs lost the game..I wouldn't put losing the coin flip as one of them.

isavedjazz

« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2019, 12:52:05 pm »

Not quite true.  I agree the college OT rules are much better, but even there the coin toss includes a big advantage.  That's why every college team chooses defense when they win the toss.  I agree with another poster that the best way would be OT periods of a defined time, like basketball.  Enough time to guarantee both teams are on both offense and defense.

Quite true. In college both teams are guaranteed to be able to play offense and defense. Coin toss simply determines the order

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2019, 01:16:12 pm »

A stat I saw a few years ago had it something like...

Win coin toss-win game 49%
Lose coin toss-win game 51%

on top of that only 14% of teams that went into OT lost the game w/o getting a possession (other team scored a TD on first possession). In other words 86% of the time teams get a chance to win or tie the game even though they lost the coin flip.

seems even to me..

I could come up with 10 reasons the Chiefs lost the game..I wouldn't put losing the coin flip as one of them.

Troof.  Well, I wouldn't call it even, but it sure ain't lopsided.  Certainly an edge goes to the coin toss winner.

I like that it puts a premium on defensive play, but I'd be fine with requiring that both teams get to play offense at least once.  Just don't make it like the college OT, which just sucks.

mckinneyhog5

« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2019, 01:25:46 pm »

Troof.  Well, I wouldn't call it even, but it sure ain't lopsided.  Certainly an edge goes to the coin toss winner.

I like that it puts a premium on defensive play, but I'd be fine with requiring that both teams get to play offense at least once.  Just don't make it like the college OT, which just sucks.
I will add that these stats are from when the NFL changed the OT rules. Before the change, winning the coin toss had a significantly higher impact on winning the game.

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2019, 01:50:23 pm »

I will add that these stats are from when the NFL changed the OT rules. Before the change, winning the coin toss had a significantly higher impact on winning the game.

Yes, I knew that's what you meant.  The point of the OT change was to minimize the impact of the coin toss. 

007 License To Squeal

• Global Moderator
  • Fmr USAF Combat Crew Titan II Launch Crew Member
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2019, 03:35:04 pm »

Thatís the thing tho. A friggin coin flip shouldnít give anyone a definitive edge. If a team believes that taking the ball first or deferring gives them an edge to better suit their game plan, thatís one thing. But the coin flip in the OT system gives a VERY definitive edge to whomever gets the ball first. Thatís not the best way to determine a winner IMO.

Agree 100%.  If both teams have equally powerful offense teams, then how does a coin flip determine which team is better?  smh......I say the better team should be determined by a slug fest to one team cracks.

checkraiser88

« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2019, 03:48:27 pm »

You have to play defense, comes down to that! I don't understand all the overtime talk. Remember when all it took was a fg on the first drive to win it? They at least made a TD instead. Chiefs were just unlucky that they had to stop Brady one last time to win. However, keeping a team out of the end zone is a reasonable expectation if you want to win the game. BTW, both teams know the coin toss comes down to luck if it does in fact go to overtime. Both teams had plenty of opportunities to end the game without overtime needed, especially on defense.

Atlhogfan1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2019, 04:06:22 pm »

The OT format is so games won't go 4+ hours long.  No ridiculous events like 5-6 OTs you have in college.  The NFL game format is designed to fit into TV windows specifically 1 ET to 4:15 and 4:15 to 7:30 on Sundays.  A small window for OT isn't too much of a burden for network programming afterwards.  But the NFL is not going to make FOX or CBS deal with what the networks have to deal with on Saturdays.  NFL games are run well as far as pace. 

RD

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Calling the Hogs since Birth
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2019, 04:31:15 pm »

Fixing NFL Overtimes is quite simple.
1) The team who had the ball last in Regulation starts with the ball
2) 15:00 is added on to the clock, each team gets 3 timeouts
3) Team with lead at end of 15:00 is the winner
4) No XP during overtime, all 2 pt conversions

In case of a tie at the end of regulation, there will be a coin flip the first one to SCORE PERIOD (Sudden Death Rules) is declared the winner.

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2019, 04:47:30 pm »

Fixing NFL Overtimes is quite simple.
1) The team who had the ball last in Regulation starts with the ball
2) 15:00 is added on to the clock, each team gets 3 timeouts
3) Team with lead at end of 15:00 is the winner
4) No XP during overtime, all 2 pt conversions

In case of a tie at the end of regulation, there will be a coin flip the first one to SCORE PERIOD (Sudden Death Rules) is declared the winner.

3 timeouts each in OT is way overboard.  Don't need to extend the game any more than necessary.  If the team with the ball at the end of regulation gets to start with the ball in OT (like this idea), then let's stay consistent with that theme and also carry over any available timouts from regulation to OT.  If you don't have a timeout available, then tough didly.

And what are the terms for the team getting to start with the ball in OT?  They just continue at the same yard line and down/distance at the end of regulation, or does the other team have to kick it off to them?  Or do we put them back on their own 25 to start, which eliminates the possibility of an on-side kick? 

I like the no XP in OT, or make them move it back 10 yards to force a real coaching decision between a 45 yard XP attempt or going for 2.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2019, 09:51:35 pm »

First of all, both championship games were incredible games.

But...each team should get the ball at least once in an OT. It's just common sense and basic fairness.
I don't see why this is a problem.
I have an issue with anything being decided by a coin flip.
So what if the Pats drive and score....after winning an arbitrary coin flip. The Chiefs should have had a chance to respond.
After that, make the rules however you want.

checkraiser88

« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2019, 09:58:42 pm »

First of all, both championship games were incredible games.

But...each team should get the ball at least once in an OT. It's just common sense and basic fairness.
I don't see why this is a problem.
I have an issue with anything being decided by a coin flip.
So what if the Pats drive and score....after winning an arbitrary coin flip. The Chiefs should have had a chance to respond.
After that, make the rules however you want.

There's nothing decided by a coin flip. People are falling into the media hype. If the Chiefs want to make it to a super bowl then they should of made a stop in OT. Hold em to fg and its still a ball game. Get a turnover, hold them to punt, any other scenario. They lost this game because their defense failed to stop Brady and the Patriots. Not from a coin flip..

LZH

« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2019, 05:57:23 am »

Admittedly, Iím a Pats fan. But as for KC, when your DC canít figure out to tell your DBís (especially the safeties) that Ď3rd and 10í means Ď3rd and slant routeí, then itís pretty much your own fault.

PharmacistHog

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • The Peopleís Mod
« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2019, 08:16:15 am »

If the chiefs had won the coin-toss and then won the game thereís not much talk of the NFL needing to change their rules.

Ray_Finkle

• Varsity
« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2019, 08:22:31 am »

Admittedly, Iím a Pats fan. But as for KC, when your DC canít figure out to tell your DBís (especially the safeties) that Ď3rd and 10í means Ď3rd and slant routeí, then itís pretty much your own fault.

I too am a Pats fan. If I'm KC I might be looking at hiring Tony Romo for some sort of position! That dude called every play before it happened!  Any time Gronk lines up outside, Brady is gonna through it up to him everytime.  Everybody in that stadium but the Cheifs knew that.

007 License To Squeal

• Global Moderator
  • Fmr USAF Combat Crew Titan II Launch Crew Member
« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2019, 08:24:44 am »

SBnation says the coin toss winner gains a victory 55% of the time.
https://www.sbnation.com/2019/1/21/18191497/chiefs-patriots-overtime-nfl-rules

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2019, 08:46:38 am »

As a chiefs fan this one hurt... but it was one hell of a ride... nobody even the experts expected this... honestly probably a year earlier than anyone could have expected. The offense was a just a half to late. No doubt in my mind that the chiefs will for sure be one of the favorites next year. the offense will be great again as they return all their weapons... defensively I expect them to get better as they cant get any worse. Im guessing sutton wont be here next year and they will make some moves to improve the defense. Congrats to the Patriots.. They played a full game. Damn you Dee Ford......

hoglady

« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2019, 09:37:34 am »

As a chiefs fan this one hurt... but it was one hell of a ride... nobody even the experts expected this... honestly probably a year earlier than anyone could have expected. The offense was a just a half to late. No doubt in my mind that the chiefs will for sure be one of the favorites next year. the offense will be great again as they return all their weapons... defensively I expect them to get better as they cant get any worse. Im guessing sutton wont be here next year and they will make some moves to improve the defense. Congrats to the Patriots.. They played a full game. Damn you Dee Ford......

Senseless penalty by Ford.
Absolutely no reason for it  - inexcusable.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2019, 10:45:39 am »

If the chiefs had won the coin-toss and then won the game thereís not much talk of the NFL needing to change their rules.
My opinion doesn't change.
I am neither a Chiefs or Patriots fan.
I am a fan of common sense and fairness.

I have little doubt that if the Chiefs had won the coin toss, they probably would have scored as well and game over, the way they were playing in the 4th quarter. The Pats wouldn't have stopped them, and never touched the ball in the OT.

The coin toss should only determine who gets the ball first, and which option they choose(take the ball, or play defense). You can limit the game in any way possible, to me, as long as each team gets to possess the ball at least once. Then, it's fair.

hoglady

« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2019, 12:18:38 pm »

I'm just sad there's a Super Bowl I don't really care about.
If the Saints or Chiefs had made it - I'd be really looking forward to it.

I don't really like or hate the Rams or Patriots.

BigSexyHog

« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2019, 01:11:15 pm »

I am sick of hearing about people bitch about both games this past weekend.  Damn this country fricking [CENSORED] about anything and wants change 100% of the time.  Bunch of pansies.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2019, 01:12:43 pm »

I am sick of hearing about people bitch about both games this past weekend.  Damn this country fricking [CENSORED] about anything and wants change 100% of the time.  Bunch of pansies.

Hogville... ;)

hawkhawg

« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2019, 01:12:48 pm »

Most of the people crying only watch games this time of year so they have no idea what the norm is.

#1 STUNNA

« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2019, 01:16:09 pm »

Most of the people crying only watch games this time of year so they have no idea what the norm is.
or they have season tickets..lol

rhames

« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2019, 01:28:26 pm »

You have to play defense, comes down to that! I don't understand all the overtime talk. Remember when all it took was a fg on the first drive to win it? They at least made a TD instead. Chiefs were just unlucky that they had to stop Brady one last time to win. However, keeping a team out of the end zone is a reasonable expectation if you want to win the game. BTW, both teams know the coin toss comes down to luck if it does in fact go to overtime. Both teams had plenty of opportunities to end the game without overtime needed, especially on defense.

Unless you get the ball first and score a TD. Then no, you don't have to play defense

Busta_Nutt

« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2019, 01:51:23 pm »

I disagree. In the Patriots case, they won the toss, scored, and won the game without the likely MVP ever having a chance to touch the football and extend the game. In the Chiefs case, had they won the toss, scored, and won the game, it wouldn't have allowed the greatest QB in the history of the league to have his chance to touch the football and extend the game. In both cases, it's bad for business and the NFL should address the Playoff OT rules, because if you're going to tell one team that their defense has to get a stop, then you have to tell the opposing team the same thing.

Here is my fix: A coin flip decides who receives the ball first, each team then has one offensive possession. If the game is still tied after both teams have possessed the ball, the teams then go to a best-of-5 format with alternating turns from the 2 pt conversion line.

LZH

« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2019, 02:37:47 pm »

I too am a Pats fan. If I'm KC I might be looking at hiring Tony Romo for some sort of position! That dude called every play before it happened!  Any time Gronk lines up outside, Brady is gonna through it up to him everytime.  Everybody in that stadium but the Cheifs knew that.

Correct, Because he certainly did. But as little pro football as I watch, New England does this over and over and over and still seems to get away with it. Apparently they donít really have a deep outside threat but that doesnít stop them from completing these passes.

Reminds me a lot of Wake Forest, I think it was, that ate Texas A&Mís lunch in that bowl game when Chavis was still coaching there. They marched up and down the field running the same slant plays over and over. 3rd and Chavis....:)  I know heís an excellent coach, but that game?....I thought Ďyikesí.

LZH

« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2019, 02:42:12 pm »

QFT. +1

I am one.

LZH

« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2019, 02:44:28 pm »

I disagree. In the Patriots case, they won the toss, scored, and won the game without the likely MVP ever having a chance to touch the football and extend the game. In the Chiefs case, had they won the toss, scored, and won the game, it wouldn't have allowed the greatest QB in the history of the league to have his chance to touch the football and extend the game. In both cases, it's bad for business and the NFL should address the Playoff OT rules, because if you're going to tell one team that their defense has to get a stop, then you have to tell the opposing team the same thing.

Here is my fix: A coin flip decides who receives the ball first, each team then has one offensive possession. If the game is still tied after both teams have possessed the ball, the teams then go to a best-of-5 format with alternating turns from the 2 pt conversion line.

Well, at least the NFL got what they wanted. A big market team versus a big market team in the Super Bowl. Canít allow these small town goobers to screw everything up.

HognitiveDissonance

« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2019, 02:50:09 pm »

Well, at least the NFL got what they wanted. A big market team versus a big market team in the Super Bowl. Canít allow these small town goobers to screw everything up.
It was Boston vs Los Angeles in the World Series.
It will be Boston vs Los Angeles in the Super Bowl.

First time that has happened with any two cities.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas