• 10,269,386 Posts
• 407,537 Topics
• 23,310 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: NFL Overtime Rules...  (Read 3256 times)

isavedjazz

NFL Overtime Rules...
« on: January 20, 2019, 09:38:08 pm »

Imagine being an MLB team in the NL/ALCS:

You hang in the game and force extra innings. The officials flip a coin and the opposing team wins the toss. They (obviously) elect to bat. If they score, you lose without even getting a chance to tie the game because of a coin toss

DZ

Re: NFL Overtime Rules...
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 09:41:26 pm »

They only won because they scored a TD, had it been a FG the other team would've had a chance..much better than sudden death that they used to have.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

DoubleReedHawgCaller

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • That's nice.... Real nice!
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 09:42:52 pm »

You hang in the game and force extra innings. The officials flip a coin and the opposing team wins the toss. They (obviously) elect to bat. If they score, you lose without even getting a chance to tie the game because of a coin toss
Get a damn defense. That's what I would be telling Andy Reid if I was in the front office. He's never going to win a super bowl without one.

TrueBlue

• All-American Hogvillian
  • "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up."
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 09:44:10 pm »

Much more exciting if they used the college rules. 

isavedjazz

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 09:44:44 pm »

Get a damn defense. That's what I would be telling Andy Reid if I was in the front office. He's never going to win a super bowl without one.

Look, I agree with you on that. Andy Reid is his own worse enemy.

But the NFL’s overtime rules are the only rules of their kind in the sports world. All the other major sports give the offense a chance to tie or take the lead even if the defense fails them

sshawg

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 09:47:06 pm »

If the guy doesn't line up off sides there at the end, the Chiefs are on their way. Interception wiped out

DZ

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 09:47:27 pm »

Look, I agree with you on that. Andy Reid is his own worse enemy.

But the NFL’s overtime rules are the only rules of their kind in the sports world. All the other major sports give the offense a chance to tie or take the lead even if the defense fails them
Prevent a damn TD / hold them to a FG and you get a chance. I agree the college OT rules has it figured out.

Hoggish1

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 09:49:37 pm »

The penalty against KC for roughing Brady should have never been called.  Game over, KC wins in regulation.

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 09:49:43 pm »

I hate the college OT system.  Hate it.  I mean at least put the ball on the 50, so they’re not automatically in FG range on the first play.

isavedjazz

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 09:51:09 pm »

I hate the college OT system.  Hate it.  I mean at least put the ball on the 50, so they’re not automatically in FG range on the first play.

100% agree

Oliver

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 09:52:01 pm »

I mean I can maybe understand not using the college rules in the regular season but it’s insane to not use them in the playoffs

Or if not the college rules at least give the other team a chance to answer

The Hawg Marshal

• " National Champs 1909,1964 and 1977. "
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 09:52:33 pm »

All you guys saying get a defense ,the game was tied so the Chief's defense played as well as the Patriots. We'll never know if KC could have scored or not. The game was essentially over with when NE won the coin toss.

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 09:57:13 pm »

NO won the coin toss today.  And lost.  Due to a fantastic defensive play that resulted in an INT.  The winner of the coin flip certainly has the edge, but the flip doesn’t win a thing.

cjack

• Senior
  • A dedicated fan base that few programs have
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 09:57:20 pm »

KC had that game stolen from them.  Patriot advantage is alive and well. I'm glad I don't watch much Sunday football anymore.

hawkhawg

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2019, 09:59:52 pm »

KC had that game stolen from them.  Patriot advantage is alive and well. I'm glad I don't watch much Sunday football anymore.

How was it stolen? 
Why would the nfl help the pats?

DoubleReedHawgCaller

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 10:01:33 pm »

All you guys saying get a defense ,the game was tied so the Chief's defense played as well as the Patriots. We'll never know if KC could have scored or not. The game was essentially over with when NE won the coin toss.
I guess you haven't watched KC much this year. Their defense has been horrible. Until Andy is willing to put some emphasis on defense they're not going to win a super bowl.

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2019, 10:07:15 pm »

The reason I’m good with the NFL OT system is because it puts such a premium on defense.  It reinforces the idea that defense should be absolutely critical.  And if you’re a “defense wins championships” disciple, then you have to love the NFL’s system. 

Oliver

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2019, 10:16:24 pm »

The reason I’m good with the NFL OT system is because it puts such a premium on defense.  It reinforces the idea that defense should be absolutely critical.  And if you’re a “defense wins championships” disciple, then you have to love the NFL’s system. 

It doesn’t if both defenses are garbage like in the Chiefs/Patriots game.  It just puts the offense that wins the coin flip in position to win.

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2019, 10:22:24 pm »

It doesn’t if both defenses are garbage like in the Chiefs/Patriots game.  It just puts the offense that wins the coin flip in position to win.

Patriots D wasn’t garbage tonight.  It created significant problems for Mahomes tonight. 

Boardon Hamsay

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Eponymous Keeper of the War Damn Mockingbird Unis
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2019, 10:25:26 pm »

Maybe they should have each team’s squad leader come out and Indian leg wrestle at mid field for the ball instead of the coin flip? Or, maybe the xfl style two man scrum? Hell, maybe they create a new position just this scenario called scrum fielder?  How bout an NHLish style FG shootout where they back kicks up 10 yards at a time until the first make and miss decides it?

Oliver

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2019, 10:27:26 pm »

Patriots D wasn’t garbage tonight.  It created significant problems for Mahomes tonight. 

Both defenses gave up 30 plus points by the end of regulation.  Garbage may be a stretch but they were both equally susceptible to giving up points easily

The Hawg Marshal

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2019, 10:31:31 pm »

So let me get this straight, the league does everything in it's power to weaken the defenses and boost up the offenses league wide. But when it comes to OT you should have a great defense? Who were all the great defensive teams in the league this year and why aren't they going to the Super Bowl?

jkstock04

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2019, 10:33:55 pm »

If the guy doesn't line up off sides there at the end, the Chiefs are on their way. Interception wiped out
"The guy".

Dee Ford..
Auburn guy. I bet he feels pretty neat right now.

STLhawg

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2019, 10:34:35 pm »

The NFL wanted this SB to be an east coast team versus a west coast them -- and surprise surprise they got what they wanted.  The difference between the NFL and WWE isn't all that much really. 

After they way the NFL helped the Rams leave STL (despite the fan base still supporting that lackluster team) when it was obvious the owner was sabotaging the team, I knew that KC was going to have an uphill against NE today -- because they would also have to beat the zebras.

jkstock04

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2019, 10:36:23 pm »

How was it stolen? 
"Roughing the passer" on a game ending 3rd and 7 consists of hitting the qb on the arm while throwing the ball.

isavedjazz

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2019, 10:36:34 pm »

So let me get this straight, the league does everything in it's power to weaken the defenses and boost up the offenses league wide. But when it comes to OT you should have a great defense? Who were all the great defensive teams in the league this year and why aren't they going to the Super Bowl?

!!

Drop the Mike

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2019, 10:43:05 pm »

It’s a horrible way to end an exciting back and forth game. The league mvp doesn’t even get to touch the ball because they lost the coin flip.

Dr. Starcs

• Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2019, 10:55:10 pm »

If the league mvp had shown up in the first 3 quarters, it would’ve never come to a coin flip.

Brady isnt handing over that goat status just yet.

31to6

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2019, 10:57:03 pm »

In regular season overtime the coin toss makes it 10% more likely that you win. It is a stupid system. It is slightly different in playoffs and probably slightly less skewed (more like 7 or 8%) since there is no tie, but there have not been enough OT playoff games to be statistically significant.

Agree that the Chiefs need a better defense, which is why Sutton should be fired. (Before anyone says that it is Reids fault for not giving him the players, they have a ton of money and draft picks invested on the defensive side of the ball. Aside from Kelce and Watkins, almost all of their offensive playmakers are still on their rookie contracts or people they picked up for cheap.)

But that doesn’t make the way NFL does overtime any good. Honestly, when a game goes into overtime I usually change the channel because I know it is going to be a stupidfest where either a ref makes a stupid call or blows a call that decides the game or there is going to be a lame FG fest.

College, on the other hand, I will fip to a game in overtime because I know it will be crazy good entertainment.

31to6

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2019, 11:00:29 pm »

If the league mvp had shown up in the first 3 quarters, it would’ve never come to a coin flip.

Brady isnt handing over that goat status just yet.
If the game had been called fairly it would have never come to a coin flip. We can “if” all day long.

Doesn’t make the NFL overtime rules any less stupid.

hawgmasta

• I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2019, 11:01:15 pm »

Brady and Belicheck had a plan for the chargers and chiefs and stuck with it. Both times they executed well enough to win. I’m tired of them being in the super bowl but you gotta respect the hustle at some point.

HogPharmer

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2019, 11:05:07 pm »

NO won the coin toss today.  And lost.  Due to a fantastic defensive play that resulted in an INT.  The winner of the coin flip certainly has the edge, but the flip doesn’t win a thing.

That’s the thing tho. A friggin coin flip shouldn’t give anyone a definitive edge. If a team believes that taking the ball first or deferring gives them an edge to better suit their game plan, that’s one thing. But the coin flip in the OT system gives a VERY definitive edge to whomever gets the ball first. That’s not the best way to determine a winner IMO.

Dr. Starcs

• Tell me what you don't like about yourself.
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2019, 11:07:36 pm »

If the game had been called fairly it would have never come to a coin flip. We can “if” all day long.

Doesn’t make the NFL overtime rules any less stupid.

Game called fairly. Lol. Chiefs benefited from several questionable pi calls. The offense not showing up for 3 quarters cost them more than any calls.

David†

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2019, 11:09:05 pm »

boo hoo

isavedjazz

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2019, 11:10:43 pm »

Correct. The flip does not win you the game. But it guarantees you a shot on offense, something the loser of the toss is not guaranteed.

These are the ONLY overtime rules across the board that guarantee one team an advantage over the other via a coin toss

STLhawg

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2019, 11:10:55 pm »

Brady and Belicheck had a plan for the chargers and chiefs and stuck with it. Both times they executed well enough to win. I’m tired of them being in the super bowl but you gotta respect the hustle at some point.
Actually I don't have to respect the "hustle" because I suspect it's a different kind of hustle (than what you mean) that is notably assisting their success.  I say that because they have both been caught cheating so that leads me to believe that at least one of them is still doing it (having only learned to hide it better).

Supermark101

• Senior
  • We all need a little Love
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2019, 11:12:10 pm »

They're probably still playing next Sunday, if that was the case, the way the 2 defenses were playing.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2019, 11:14:20 pm »

The Chiefs deal was way different than how the Saints got screwed.

checkraiser88

« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2019, 11:18:57 pm »

At least they made it to where the team has to score a TD to win the game for whoever gets it first. I have more of a problem with NFL's officiating than the overtime rules.

31to6

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2019, 11:28:57 pm »

Game called fairly. Lol. Chiefs benefited from several questionable pi calls. The offense not showing up for 3 quarters cost them more than any calls.
Now you are just making darn up.

There were only 2 PI calls in the game on the Patriots.

One was when Jackson tackled Kelce in the EZ two steps before the ball arrived because he got beat.

The other you could argue, but it was on the play where there was also roughing when Van Noy hit him low, and so instead of a 23 yard penalty it would have been 15.

So it wasn’t “several” and the only one you can even argue only netted 8 yards and the roughing would have been an automatic first down.

The officiating was crap and the most blantant example is Mahomes *actually* hit in the head [technically, in the neck, but that counts as a hit to the “head” in the NFL QB roughing rule] by Flowers (admittedly not very hard) no call. Brady *actually not hit at all* (and even if he had made contact it would have been just a brush) keeps a critical scoring drive alive.

Still doesn’t keep the NFL overtime rules from being stupid.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 11:39:00 pm by 31to6 »

31to6

« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2019, 11:41:22 pm »

The Chiefs deal was way different than how the Saints got screwed.
Agree. At the end of the day, the Chiefs lost the game because their DC sucks.

The Hawg Marshal

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2019, 12:06:14 am »

Agree. At the end of the day, the Chiefs lost the game because their DC sucks.
If the Chiefs had won the coin toss we might be saying the same thing about the Patriots DC. But we'll never know because they didn't get to touch the ball on offense.

checkraiser88

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2019, 12:13:11 am »

If the Chiefs had won the coin toss we might be saying the same thing about the Patriots DC. But we'll never know because they didn't get to touch the ball on offense.

That's why teams play defense, they should of held them to a fg to have a chance.

Mo_Better_Hogs

• DE FENSE!! DE FENSE!!
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2019, 01:44:13 am »

Several things went wrong for KC at the end of that game. Including the coin flip.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2019, 06:39:38 am »

With 11 seconds left in the game I'm taking one more shot at the endzone to TK. Let him go up and get the ball for a td.

Ghost Writer in the Sty

« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2019, 06:40:30 am »

The pro's used to have the goal posts on the goal line (not endzone) until they copied college.  They also copied two point extra point option from the college rules.  It's time they also copied the college overtime rules which are much fairer and way more exciting!  College football minds are much more advanced than pro owners and their representatives.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2019, 07:07:59 am »

Having to drive the field and score a TD is not that easy.  Had KC done it though, NFL might have been changing the rules.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2019, 07:10:14 am »

Now you are just making darn up.

There were only 2 PI calls in the game on the Patriots.

One was when Jackson tackled Kelce in the EZ two steps before the ball arrived because he got beat.

The other you could argue, but it was on the play where there was also roughing when Van Noy hit him low, and so instead of a 23 yard penalty it would have been 15.

So it wasn’t “several” and the only one you can even argue only netted 8 yards and the roughing would have been an automatic first down.

The officiating was crap and the most blantant example is Mahomes *actually* hit in the head [technically, in the neck, but that counts as a hit to the “head” in the NFL QB roughing rule] by Flowers (admittedly not very hard) no call. Brady *actually not hit at all* (and even if he had made contact it would have been just a brush) keeps a critical scoring drive alive.

Still doesn’t keep the NFL overtime rules from being stupid.

KC was allowed to hold pat receirvers all day, which I was kind of surprised they allowed it. 

Hogs run wild

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2019, 07:13:32 am »

I get that the NFL doesn't want to seem to be relying on the college game for ideas. So why not do the coin flip, but give both teams a chance to have a possession via kickoffs. that still places a premium on defense while keeping the importance of the coin flip. It's not perfect but it's better than what they have now.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2019, 07:18:35 am »

it is all about player safety. so they say.

should have to play out the whole 15 minutes.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas