• 10,303,296 Posts
• 408,296 Topics
• 23,335 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: 2019 BASEBALL POLLS  (Read 30881 times)

bighog2255

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: 2019 BASEBALL POLLS
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2019, 11:20:49 am »

what a joke. this team is criminally underrated. Texas swept LSU but there's no way they should have jumped that high. Typical Texas scenario

Based on what? USC series win not looking so impressive.

gchamblee

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Benched along with patience and reason
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2019, 11:22:12 am »

Baseball Americas comments regarding last weeks games...

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

pignparadise

« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2019, 11:52:15 am »

gmarv

« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2019, 12:18:38 pm »

whorns going to get whipped
I likes the way you think.

Wisco Pig

« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2019, 12:21:32 pm »

Hogs #10 in USAToday poll http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/baseball/polls/coaches-poll/

This is the first regular-season poll of the year for USA Today, and it features a record 11 SEC teams in the top 25:

1. Vanderbilt
  6. Florida
  8. Mississippi State
  9. LSU
10. Arkansas
13. Ole Miss
15. Georgia
18. Auburn
21. Tennessee
22. Texas A&M
24. South Carolina

kennymayne

« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2019, 12:39:49 pm »

That's obvious. I'm talking about the bigger picture where we can't seem to do anything to garner respect. Any other team not named Arkansas coming off a runner-up being 9-1 would be Top 5 right now.

Thats just you seeing things with Hog colored glasses. We lost two thirds of our starting pitching (the best two), our top two pen arms not named Cronin, and starting C, 1B, 2B, SS, RF and our DH from last years team. We also didn't bring in that highly ranked of a recruiting class. This team was ranked higher than I thought they would be to start the year. We've beaten some teams that we should have so far. And there are still a lot of question marks with the pitching staff and the bottom of the lineup. I feel like whoever does the rankings are giving us plenty of respect.

mhsbc59

• "Cause thats how I Role"
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2019, 12:45:44 pm »

Thats just you seeing things with Hog colored glasses. We lost two thirds of our starting pitching (the best two), our top two pen arms not named Cronin, and starting C, 1B, 2B, SS, RF and our DH from last years team. We also didn't bring in that highly ranked of a recruiting class. This team was ranked higher than I thought they would be to start the year. We've beaten some teams that we should have so far. And there are still a lot of question marks with the pitching staff and the bottom of the lineup. I feel like whoever does the rankings are giving us plenty of respect.

boo no lol... Just one question cause i dont know what was a requiting class ranked?

thehill1414

« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2019, 12:47:21 pm »

This is the first regular-season poll of the year for USA Today, and it features a record 11 SEC teams in the top 25:

1. Vanderbilt
  6. Florida
  8. Mississippi State
  9. LSU
10. Arkansas
13. Ole Miss
15. Georgia
18. Auburn
21. Tennessee
22. Texas A&M
24. South Carolina

Texas and Tech are in there at 11 and 12, so 5/6 for that Dallas tournament next year are ranked almost completely in a row, from 8-13.

Bruinstyle2001

« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2019, 01:10:01 pm »

Texas and Tech are in there at 11 and 12, so 5/6 for that Dallas tournament next year are ranked almost completely in a row, from 8-13.

Dallas tournament isn't until 2021.  We got to Houston next year for the Shriner's Classic.

Bruinstyle2001

« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2019, 02:30:33 pm »

I just heard that the 2020 Shriner's Classic field is being leaked out to include Arkansas, LSU, Texas, OU, Baylor, and a team to be named later (henceforth known as TBA). It wouldn't be college baseball without a TBA.

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2019, 02:31:23 pm »

I just heard that the 2020 Shriner's Classic field is being leaked out to include Arkansas, LSU, Texas, OU, Baylor, and a team to be named later.

That is a stout line up.

HogsonHicks

« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2019, 02:36:11 pm »

boo no lol... Just one question cause i dont know what was a requiting class ranked?

It’s a bit relative, actually.  Our 2019 class was very good, ranked 14th overall.  We’d do cartwheels if any other sport, but actually a bit lower than 2018 (9th) and 2020 (currently 2nd).

razorhead94

« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2019, 02:55:46 pm »

I just heard that the 2020 Shriner's Classic field is being leaked out to include Arkansas, LSU, Texas, OU, Baylor, and a team to be named later (henceforth known as TBA). It wouldn't be college baseball without a TBA.

It was originally going to be Alabama however they had a scheduling conflict and had to back out....hence the TBA

010HogFan

« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2019, 03:14:40 pm »

It's really not. Some of the teams ranked above us have no business being above this group.

kennymayne

« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2019, 03:37:05 pm »

The class with Christian Franklin, et al, were ranked 9th by Perfect Game. Which is a little higher than I thought it was, to be honest. I guess I may have confused it with the 2019 class which is 14th.

Springfield_MO_Razorback

« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2019, 08:32:42 pm »

Early polls for SEC teams mean squat. Things get shuffled around a million ways from Sunday each year during conference play. As it stands today by the coaches poll we will play 9 of the top 25 teams ranked this week at some point this season. Things will change dramatically between now and then.

baseball.u.stat

• Band Nerd
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2019, 06:07:39 am »

https://www.baseballustat.info/rankings

Arkansas #14 in latest Composite Top 25

gchamblee

« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2019, 08:18:46 am »

gchamblee

« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2019, 08:36:09 am »

Early polls for SEC teams mean squat. Things get shuffled around a million ways from Sunday each year during conference play. As it stands today by the coaches poll we will play 9 of the top 25 teams ranked this week at some point this season. Things will change dramatically between now and then.

Regardless, polls will still be released and we will continue to post their results here. Following the polls is part of the experience.

jbell96

« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2019, 09:28:42 am »

Regardless, polls will still be released and we will continue to post their results here. Following the polls is part of the experience.

That is true, but I think the OP's point is that there is zero reason to get upset about the polls during the first week of March, as there will be a lot of change and turnover.

Springfield_MO_Razorback

« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2019, 10:44:29 am »

That is true, but I think the OP's point is that there is zero reason to get upset about the polls during the first week of March, as there will be a lot of change and turnover.

Correct.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • R_A_Z_O_R_B_A_C_K_S
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2019, 11:17:29 am »

The SEC makes college baseball history!

gchamblee

« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2019, 06:02:52 am »

I thought you guys might find this interesting as well from...

https://www.baseballustat.info/king-of-the-conferences/part-vii

gchamblee

« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2019, 02:27:13 am »

this thread should be pinned to the top

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Will the Hogs make it back to Omaha in 2019 ?
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2019, 03:45:13 am »

There is change but rarely drastic change. There are certain programs like LSU who can lose two of three at home against an average team and they will move down maybe 2 spots, 3 spots at the most. The Hogs lose two of three against anyone and unless they are ranked in the top 4 in the nation, we will find ourselves clear out of the top 10. These ranking services just like the football rags do their marketing research and know where their subscriptions originate. Since Arkansas is a small state and people rarely buy these college baseball fish wraps or on-line access, well, we find ourselves one hit away from being 11-0 and ranked 14th after being a foul ball misplayed from winning the NC last year. And we still have our best 3 everyday players on the team from last season.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • R_A_Z_O_R_B_A_C_K_S
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2019, 04:49:29 am »

this thread should be pinned to the top
You would think so, but most threads that are pinned often get overlooked (at least for a while) for some reason. We tried pinning this type thread in the past and many people didn't view it and someone would start a new similar thread every week when the polls came out. A thread like this does OK not being pinned because it gets bumped up at least once every week when Wisco Pig updates it with the new polls on Mondays.

Threads that need to be pinned because they are important and stay relative for a long time, but rarely get bumped do well being pinned.

Wisco Pig puts a pretty good amount of time into each week, so be sure to give him a LIKE every once in a while. 

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • R_A_Z_O_R_B_A_C_K_S
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2019, 04:59:26 am »

It was originally going to be Alabama however they had a scheduling conflict and had to back out....hence the TBA
Alabama has no business being in a field that includes Arkansas, LSU, Texas, OU and Baylor in the first place.

jbell96

« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2019, 11:32:19 am »

There is change but rarely drastic change. There are certain programs like LSU who can lose two of three at home against an average team and they will move down maybe 2 spots, 3 spots at the most. The Hogs lose two of three against anyone and unless they are ranked in the top 4 in the nation, we will find ourselves clear out of the top 10. These ranking services just like the football rags do their marketing research and know where their subscriptions originate. Since Arkansas is a small state and people rarely buy these college baseball fish wraps or on-line access, well, we find ourselves one hit away from being 11-0 and ranked 14th after being a foul ball misplayed from winning the NC last year. And we still have our best 3 everyday players on the team from last season.

There is so much wrong with your post I don't know where to start. LSU dropped 11 spots in the polls after losing at Texas so you chose a poor example.

We have one of the most respected baseball programs in the country and are consistently praised by national publications. We haven't moved up much in the polls because the teams in front of us haven't really been losing series. Tough to move up when everyone in front of you keeps on winning at least 2 out of 3 on the weekend.

Not to mention, we've only played Eastern Illinois, USC, Memphis, Stony Brook, & Charlotte so far. None of those teams have a winning record, Charlotte has the best record of them all at 6-6, so we really haven't been tested this year.

Lastly, we lost 2/3's of our starting rotation, our two best middle/long relievers, and 6 of 9 guys from our every day lineup. That is a lot of turnover so I'm not surprised we were 16th to start the year.

010HogFan

« Reply #78 on: March 07, 2019, 11:42:27 am »

There is so much wrong with your post I don't know where to start. LSU dropped 11 spots in the polls after losing at Texas so you chose a poor example.

We have one of the most respected baseball programs in the country and are consistently praised by national publications. We haven't moved up much in the polls because the teams in front of us haven't really been losing series. Tough to move up when everyone in front of you keeps on winning at least 2 out of 3 on the weekend.

Not to mention, we've only played Eastern Illinois, USC, Memphis, Stony Brook, & Charlotte so far. None of those teams have a winning record, Charlotte has the best record of them all at 6-6, so we really haven't been tested this year.

Lastly, we lost 2/3's of our starting rotation, our two best middle/long relievers, and 6 of 9 guys from our every day lineup. That is a lot of turnover so I'm not surprised we were 16th to start the year.

We can't move up because the teams in front of us aren't losing...but the question is, why are they in front of us to begin with? There are several teams ahead of us that I know we are better than. Florida continues to lose games and I wouldn't be surprised to see them stay ahead of us.

vandybuff

« Reply #79 on: March 07, 2019, 12:16:14 pm »

Let me go another step - is there reason for any poll until mid March?

Bruinstyle2001

« Reply #80 on: March 07, 2019, 12:28:09 pm »

No.  But that is another story altogether.  Publications either reaffirm their own biases based on teams racking up win totals or they overreact to "bad losses" when the teams they lose to may be the Cinderella's of that year. 

One thing I know is that this La Tech team is going to be a good.  We need to bring it this weekend and the fans need to make a difference.  They are loaded with hitters.

ricepig

« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2019, 12:28:45 pm »

Yes, most definitely, we need something to talk about until league play begins.

gchamblee

« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2019, 08:04:19 am »

You would think so, but most threads that are pinned often get overlooked (at least for a while) for some reason. We tried pinning this type thread in the past and many people didn't view it and someone would start a new similar thread every week when the polls came out. A thread like this does OK not being pinned because it gets bumped up at least once every week when Wisco Pig updates it with the new polls on Mondays.

Threads that need to be pinned because they are important and stay relative for a long time, but rarely get bumped do well being pinned.

Wisco Pig puts a pretty good amount of time into each week, so be sure to give him a LIKE every once in a while.

ok that makes sense and i appreciate the in depth response.

Iwastherein1969

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Will the Hogs make it back to Omaha in 2019 ?
« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2019, 07:55:07 pm »

you are quite right, take Vandy off that top perch and just leave it blank

vandybuff

« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2019, 08:30:50 pm »

you are quite right, take Vandy off that top perch and just leave it blank

Oddly you may think, I agree.  And the reason is too often a number one hangs too long -- meaning a up and coming #26 or so is held back. 

Start with the conference games, and all the teams will be more fairly ranked.

thanks!

Wisco Pig

« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2019, 08:27:35 am »

Week 4 polls (March 11)

USA Today coaches: 10th  (same as last week)
http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/baseball/polls/coaches-poll/

Perfect Game:          11th   (12th last week)
https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=16212

D1Baseball:              14th  (15th last week)
https://d1baseball.com/top-25/college-baseball-top-25-arizona-state-is-back-again/

Baseball America:    16th   (same as last week)
https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/college-baseball-top-25/

NCBWA:                    13th  (14th last week)
http://www.sportswriters.net/ncbwa/news/2019/poll190311.html

Collegiate Baseball:  17th  (16th last week)
http://baseballnews.com/collegiate-baseball-div-1-poll-3-11-19/

Massey composite:   13th  (16th last week)
https://www.masseyratings.com/cbase/compare.htm

RPI:                           20     
http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2019/rpi-live
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 10:58:41 am by Wisco Pig »

jbell96

« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2019, 10:15:07 am »

so what you are saying is even though we still have our best 3 everyday players from last season, better overall pitching and MUCH more speed, we should drop 14 spots in the D-1 poll from last year ? good try, and I see your minions with the "like" button working, trying to lower expectations...truthfully, who has anyone played this time of year ?  maybe one tough 2 game set...I've forgotten more than you know about baseball

This is the percentage of stats that we lost from last year's team.

Pitching
36 wins (75%)
10 saves (38%)
367 strikeouts (59%)
377 2/3 IP (63%)

With all due respect to Campbell, who has been lights out over his last two starts, before the start of the season, our starting rotation was a big question mark. To be quite honest, Noland and Scroggins have struggled with consistency, so in my opinion, it is still a concern heading in to SEC play. Kopps, Ramage, Wicklander, Kosty, Zeb, & Cronin have done a great job so far this year anchoring the bullpen, but coming in to this year, Cronin was the only proven commodity we had in the pen.

Hitting
387 hits (56%)
62 doubles (54%)
266 runs (55%)
57 homers (58%)
262 RBI (58%)

Having to replace that much production is a tall task, even if you are returning three All American caliber players. While I don't expect our offense to do what it did last year, and we have had pleasant surprises in Ezell & Franklin, we are still struggling to get consistency from our DH & 3B spots.

I'm not trying to lower expectations, all I am trying to do is rationally explain why we were ranked 16th coming in to the season, That said, my main point still stands, polls don't mean anything in college baseball, especially at this point in the season, but what do I know, you've forgotten more about baseball than I have ever known.  ::) ::) ::)

seasonhog

• Hogvillian
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2019, 10:27:22 am »

I  think Noland need to decide on BB or FB , has to be tough mentally , my advice is BB.

HogPharmer

« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2019, 10:44:44 am »

I think there is too much complaining about where who is ranked... Polls are fun to look at. But at the end of the day, it's all going to work itself out... If Florida continues and only has a 66% winning percentage the rest of the season, they will not be ranked ahead of us... If we go in and take care of business against the other SEC teams that we face who are ranked ahead of us, it will all work itself out. Polls are just something to talk about for now. I don't get all the bickering because guess what, they're gonna change next week, and the week after that, and the week after that...

BaconTheSaddleAgain

« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2019, 10:59:34 am »

The important thing is to try to work our way into one of the most 8 deserving teams to be a national seed if at all possible. 1 or 8 doesn't really matter. Other than that, you want to be one of the top 16 teams to host a regional. I think we're well on our way hosting again. If we an get consistency out of our starting pitching, I think we have a really good shot to be a national seed. Our bullpen is as deep as it's ever been, and we're scoring runs now without Martin, Kjerstad, and Fletcher knocking the cover off the ball. When they all get going (and they will eventually), we're going to score plenty of runs to give our starting pitching some cover. An honestly, starting pitching has been pretty good until the opposing lineup sees Noland and Scroggins for a 3rd trip. It may be that in league play, we're just asking our Saturday/Sunday starters to get us to the 4th or 5th inning and then platoon until we can get to a closer.

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #90 on: March 11, 2019, 11:23:18 am »

The important thing is to try to work our way into one of the most 8 deserving teams to be a national seed if at all possible. 1 or 8 doesn't really matter. Other than that, you want to be one of the top 16 teams to host a regional. I think we're well on our way hosting again. If we an get consistency out of our starting pitching, I think we have a really good shot to be a national seed. Our bullpen is as deep as it's ever been, and we're scoring runs now without Martin, Kjerstad, and Fletcher knocking the cover off the ball. When they all get going (and they will eventually), we're going to score plenty of runs to give our starting pitching some cover. An honestly, starting pitching has been pretty good until the opposing lineup sees Noland and Scroggins for a 3rd trip. It may be that in league play, we're just asking our Saturday/Sunday starters to get us to the 4th or 5th inning and then platoon until we can get to a closer.
^^^This. Van Horn is doing all the right things. I believe on Saturday he was searching talent ready pitchers and situational guys for the conference gauntlet. What a awesome thing to have. A skipper who runs our team like a pro team. Some of these arms need a year. They have it. It just isn't quite developed enough for the big time. And trust me the Arkansas baseball program is big time. For years I thought he was like La Roussa. Now he may remind me more of Herzog. We can actually play whitey ball.Awsome,just awesome.

Wisco Pig

« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2019, 11:33:00 am »

These posts are far too reasonable and positive.  Didn't you notice that we slipped from 16th to 17th in today's Collegiate Baseball poll?  To the tumbrels!  Man the guillotines!

jbell96

« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2019, 11:33:44 am »

We can't move up because the teams in front of us aren't losing...but the question is, why are they in front of us to begin with? There are several teams ahead of us that I know we are better than. Florida continues to lose games and I wouldn't be surprised to see them stay ahead of us.

Losing games in the midweek doesn't really mean anything if you keep winning your series on the weekend, in regards to national rankings. Most top ranked teams aren't throwing their top level arms in midweek games so they'll lose a few here and there.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2019, 11:54:36 am »

it all comes down to this. just win,baby

win games and everything takes care of itself.

bighog2255

• Hogvillian
« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2019, 12:33:49 pm »

I think we're well on our way hosting again. If we an get consistency out of our starting pitching, I think we have a really good shot to be a national seed. Our bullpen is as deep as it's ever been

WAY too early to say we're "well on our way" to anything.

Bullpen.....did you watch Saturday's game?

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2019, 12:54:35 pm »

These posts are far too reasonable and positive.  Didn't you notice that we slipped from 16th to 17th in today's Collegiate Baseball poll?  To the tumbrels!  Man the guillotines!

I don’t really follow Georgia jumping us but it will sort itself out.

EconHawg

« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2019, 12:56:56 pm »

Saturday definitely happened, BUT you should go peek at the ERA's of our bullpen guys over on the Razorback stat page: https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/stats/baseball/2019/teamcume.htm

There's a whole lot of 0's and sub 2's there, and the b/avg is pretty impressive across the board. Given the bizarre feel that Saturday's game had, I'm willing to regard it as an outlier until I see otherwise.

Conference play will be the real test, but there's definitely things we've seen to be excited about!

HogFansReunited

• AKA HogFansReunited
  • Gold Hogvillian
  • USN AW2
« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2019, 12:59:16 pm »

DVH wasn’t trying to win at that point, he was working towards the future. He threw a bunch of young arms and saved better arms for Sunday.

Amityvillehogger

• Veni, vidi, vici...
« Reply #98 on: March 11, 2019, 01:03:13 pm »

Whats crazy is how bad we thought HK was slumping. He's still leading us in hits. Granted he had a good weekend but still.

Hogs-n-Roses

• Coming to a Stadium Near You!
« Reply #99 on: March 11, 2019, 01:16:06 pm »

This team hasn't even come together yet. Our bats will come alive, our speed will start factoring in, all middle relief is yet to be setteled upon. I believe he risked Saturdays game to play some pitchers we're desperately need later. We have a heck of a schedule. It may take a while to gel. If we win 60% of our conference games it'll be a miracle. We could do that and still be a top 10 team. Gel at the right time, get in that top 8 some how would be a miracle. Still land at Omaha and be a team nobody wants to play from outside the top 8 seeds.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas