• 10,312,392 Posts
• 408,484 Topics
• 23,342 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NFL officiating  (Read 638 times)

EastexHawg

NFL officiating
« on: December 23, 2018, 06:33:46 pm »

How can I see on a crucial pass interference call against the Steelers that the ball was deflected, and thus there should have been no interference, but the guys in the booth don't review the play?

Bubba's Bruisers

Re: NFL officiating
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 07:16:52 pm »

Steelers lose, so Iím ok with the call.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

EastexHawg

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 01:05:47 pm »

CBS showed the slow motion replay twice.  How can the replay official not stop the game to review it?  That was a fourth down play.  An incompletion, which it certainly should have been, would have turned the ball over to the Steelers and most likely iced the game.

I don't like the Steelers, but that was BS.  That call most likely cost them a playoff berth.

McKdaddy

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 01:40:40 pm »

Bubba's Bruisers

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 08:24:16 pm »

CBS showed the slow motion replay twice.  How can the replay official not stop the game to review it?  That was a fourth down play.  An incompletion, which it certainly should have been, would have turned the ball over to the Steelers and most likely iced the game.

I don't like the Steelers, but that was BS.  That call most likely cost them a playoff berth.

Agree on the call.  Very bad.

But the Steelers only have themselves to blame if they don't make the PO.  They've been nothing but an undisciplined mess this season.  Arguably the most talented team ever to miss the PO, if they miss.   And they can't blame it on officiating.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Ever since the war I've had a drinking problem
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 12:55:45 am »

Under the current rules, to the best of my knowledge, the NFL can't stop the game and review any play that they wish for any thing that they wish. You typically can't have an automatic booth review of a penalty save for a case of player disqualification.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2018-nfl-rulebook/

Best I can tell, the only penalty that can be overturned by automatic review is the number of players on the field. So, worst/best case scenario, New York could be watching that play, realize that it was erroneously called a pass interference, but by the rules of the game, there is absolutely nothing they can do about it save maybe let the ref know and he can keep a better eye out next time.

Further, watching the play, not so sure the ball was touched. It is clearly already wobbling BEFORE it ever reaches the defender's forearm. Honestly, in the replay, it's basically impossible to say one way or another whether it did touch or just grazed the hairs on the arm but not quite touching the skin. It definitely wobbles after passing by the arm of the defender, but that wobble is very much consistent with the wobble that it had before passing the defender's arm. We're talking about you'd have to stop and do some straight up measuring of the amount of wobble on the pass to see if the wobble changed after passing the defender. Also, the trajectory of the ball does not change.

So, even if you change the very rulebook of the NFL to allow penalties like that be be open for review in the first place, in this case, there certainly isn't indisputable evidence to overturn the call on the field. It would increase the accuracy of the game by allowing more plays to be reviewed, but then it would slow the game down even further.

EastexHawg

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 11:14:39 pm »

Under the current rules, to the best of my knowledge, the NFL can't stop the game and review any play that they wish for any thing that they wish. You typically can't have an automatic booth review of a penalty save for a case of player disqualification.

Actually in the last two minutes of either half replay reviews can only be initiated by the booth.  Coaches aren't allowed to challenge or Mike Tomlin would have thrown his flag because he said he definitely thought it was tipped.

And...whether a ball was tipped at the line to negate a pass interference call is definitely reviewable.  There was a review of just such a play in the Seahawks-Chiefs game last week.

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 08:04:07 pm »

Actually in the last two minutes of either half replay reviews can only be initiated by the booth. 

Figured that was obvious and would go without saying...

Coaches aren't allowed to challenge or Mike Tomlin would have thrown his flag because he said he definitely thought it was tipped.

And...whether a ball was tipped at the line to negate a pass interference call is definitely reviewable.  There was a review of just such a play in the Seahawks-Chiefs game last week.

I had read this and figured I'd give you the benefit of the doubt on being right despite the rules explicitly stating otherwise as I posted, because who knows, maybe I read them wrong. However, with the ending of the Saints-Rams game, sure looks I wasn't and maybe you misremembered and/or were forgetting some extra detail of that review (or the refs screwed up and did something that made sense while breaking the rules) because otherwise, sure looks like that is not a legal review.

Dr. Starcs

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Tell me what you don't like about yourself.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Crazy Times Make Crazy people Crazier!!!!

EastexHawg

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 10:08:05 am »

Stay classy chiefs fans

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25909987/fan-flashed-laser-tom-brady-banned-arrowhead-stadium-face-charges

He should be cut in half with the laser from Goldfinger.

The fan, not Brady.  Well...both would be okay.

Dr. Starcs

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 04:22:18 pm »

Always a few idiots in crowds of 78M+..

78M+ ?
You must be confused with Americaís Team. Lmao

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 04:28:48 pm »

78M+ ?
You must be confused with Americaís Team. Lmao

Sorry, there were only 77,034 at that Game.  I forget they wacked a few thousand seats out when they made upgrades to Arrrowhead.. My bad... ;)

Dr. Starcs

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2019, 06:36:23 pm »

Sorry, there were only 77,034 at that Game.  I forget they wacked a few thousand seats out when they made upgrades to Arrrowhead.. My bad... ;)

I donít think you caught your typo - 78M, as in Million? Lol

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2019, 07:12:24 pm »

I don’t think you caught your typo - 78M, as in Million? Lol

Okay,  I have been around longer than you apparently.....   I'm still on the old Roman system, before computers.. M=1,000...MM = 1,000,000 ( you know a Thousand Thousands) ... there was never a "K" back then. 

Dr. Starcs

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2019, 07:36:16 pm »

Okay,  I have been around longer than you apparently.....   I'm still on the old Roman system, before computers.. M=1,000...MM = 1,000,000 ( you know a Thousand Thousands) ... there was never a "K" back then.

Aha. Makes sense now.

99toLife

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2019, 09:27:23 am »

Aha. Makes sense now.
Sometimes it hurts to get old!  ;D

bennyl08

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2019, 09:27:18 pm »

I always read 78M as 78 million as well, but have one other time seen somebody on this board (probably doc here) use M as thousand in the old greek way. I recall them saying that such nomenclature was pretty common in a business setting?

Wonder how many people are fine using greek numerals instead of English, but are against the metric system? Note: the last comment here isn't directed at anybody in particular, just thinking about how I default to seeing M and interpreting it in english rather than ancient greek and that triggering the thought about metric vs english system.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas