General Sports Discussion > Other Arkansas Colleges and Universities

Arkansas State has literally zero commits/signees from the state of Arkansas

Pages: (1/1)

Rudy Baylor:

zero, zilch, nada

https://arkansasstate.rivals.com/commitments/football/2019



wow

hog of steele:

I cannot imagine that that has happened many times in all of college football.

GolfNut57:


--- Quote from: Rudy Baylor on December 19, 2018, 12:00:33 pm ---zero, zilch, nada

https://arkansasstate.rivals.com/commitments/football/2019

wow

--- End quote ---

We at ASU figured the UofA could use all the local help they could get. Maybe they can find a in-state kid that will help them win a SEC game next year.  :D

Jim Harris:

They've barely had any over the past 3 years.

GolfNut57:


--- Quote from: Jim Harris on December 19, 2018, 12:41:34 pm ---They've barely had any over the past 3 years.

--- End quote ---

That's true. But when it comes to winning on the field the ASU coaches try to get the best talent available that they can. And if it means choosing the better player from out of state over a in state kid that is the lesser player to fill that last scholly then the local kid is out of luck.

And I would bet that 99% of the coaches out there would all do the same.

Seminole Indian:

Fact is  A-State is a bigger deal in football out of state than they are instate, and as a result their best athletes come from out of state

One  problem is that despite the fact they sign mostly 3-Star athletes in football, the 3-Star types in Arkansas all feel they should get SEC offers, and it is hard to convince them otherwise.

Anther problem they have is in Arkansas is if a kid picks up a couple of P5 offers, Arkansas feels compelled to take them,whether they need them or not.

A-State has had several Arkansas commits in recent years that once an out of state P5 offered or a major P5 expresses strong interest the  Razorbacks moved in. Some of the Razorbacks better players have been those kids.


hog of steele:


--- Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 19, 2018, 02:19:38 pm ---Fact is  A-State is a bigger deal in football out of state than they are instate, and as a result their best athletes come from out of state

One  problem is that despite the fact they sign mostly 3-Star athletes in football, the 3-Star types in Arkansas all feel they should get SEC offers, and it is hard to convince them otherwise.


--- End quote ---

I was wondering if that hurt them in state. I also wonder if they have a couple guys who are about the same in talent if they wouldn't rather take a guy who wasn't raised a hog fan. Seems like convincing a life long razorback fan that ASU is a solid school choice may be harder than convincing a kid who has no preconceived ideas about the place.

Seminole Indian:


--- Quote from: hog of steele on December 19, 2018, 02:25:40 pm ---I was wondering if that hurt them in state. I also wonder if they have a couple guys who are about the same in talent if they wouldn't rather take a guy who wasn't raised a hog fan. Seems like convincing a life long razorback fan that ASU is a solid school choice may be harder than convincing a kid who has no preconceived ideas about the place.

--- End quote ---

The problem is they have as good or better players out of state wanting to commit, and almost all hold lots of G5 offers and many  P5 offers, so they can't wait on an Arkansas kid to decide. They have to take these kids commitments.

Lots of 3-Star players in Arkansas that could have signed with A-State early find them selves out in the cold and at a ULM, or like  Terry Hampton, Nathan Page and Jax Gasaway  last year, having to sign as blue-shirts. These are quality players who could play for a lot of P5s, but waited to long, and had to come in the back door.




Dropkick:


--- Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 19, 2018, 02:19:38 pm ---Fact is  A-State is a bigger deal in football out of state than they are instate, and as a result their best athletes come from out of state

One  problem is that despite the fact they sign mostly 3-Star athletes in football, the 3-Star types in Arkansas all feel they should get SEC offers, and it is hard to convince them otherwise.

Anther problem they have is in Arkansas is if a kid picks up a couple of P5 offers, Arkansas feels compelled to take them,whether they need them or not.

A-State has had several Arkansas commits in recent years that once an out of state P5 offered or a major P5 expresses strong interest the  Razorbacks moved in. Some of the Razorbacks better players have been those kids.



--- End quote ---
Please expound, who are some of the better Razorbacks that fall into that category. Thanks in advance.

Seminole Indian:

Just recently and off the top of my head guys like Dre Greenlaw, Josh Liddel, Drew Morgan, Zack Hocker ,Braylon Mitchell were all A-State commits the Razorback came in and snatched away late, that contributed.

Dropkick:

Those were definitely some good contributors.

holeinthewall:


--- Quote from: hog of steele on December 19, 2018, 02:25:40 pm ---I was wondering if that hurt them in state. I also wonder if they have a couple guys who are about the same in talent if they wouldn't rather take a guy who wasn't raised a hog fan. Seems like convincing a life long razorback fan that ASU is a solid school choice may be harder than convincing a kid who has no preconceived ideas about the place.

--- End quote ---

You act like everyone in the state like the Hogs.  Fact is there are as many kids that like other teams and not the Hogs and that goes for adults too.  Drive around you lots of decals and people wearing schools merchandise from all over the country.

LSU
Texas
OU
Probably lead the way.

Central Arkansas has a large amount of ASU on vehicles and license plates. Where 10 years ago you saw almost none.

Other schools I have seem
Florida
Miami
FSU
Auburn
Bama
Memphis
Miss St
Ole Miss
Tenn

Seminole Indian:

Well people forget that A-State has raised its bar in recruiting and is going after a much higher caliber of player, instate and out of state.

They will not lower the bar instate, and as a result are competing for players that will get offers from the Razorbacks, quality out of state P5s, or a quality border G5, like LaTech or Memphis.  They are not offering players they would have offered and been happy to have signed just a few years ago.

The players they are getting are among the very best in Arkansas, and this class did have three quality players from Arkansas. They had four committed, all were 3-Star players, but one flipped to Alabama after he got a full ride as opposed to a grey-shirt.

The OL that signed with Oklahoma yesterday flipped back and forth at least two times yesterday before opting to stay with Oklahoma, although he preferred A-State. Think Mom or family won.

They still might add a couple this year that will count toward next year if their grades are good, and they are quality players.



Seminole Indian:

In fact recruiting is really just beginning for A-State and this class is far from complete.

They will probably add many of their best recruits between now and fall camp. Many will count toward next years class, not this one, but will be impact players next fall.

Anderson said that while these additions are all quality players that they could not pass on, the players they add going forward are going to only be players that will make the team better.


hog of steele:


--- Quote from: holeinthewall on December 20, 2018, 06:35:07 am ---You act like everyone in the state like the Hogs.  Fact is there are as many kids that like other teams and not the Hogs and that goes for adults too.  Drive around you lots of decals and people wearing schools merchandise from all over the country.

LSU
Texas
OU
Probably lead the way.

Central Arkansas has a large amount of ASU on vehicles and license plates. Where 10 years ago you saw almost none.

Other schools I have seem
Florida
Miami
FSU
Auburn
Bama
Memphis
Miss St
Ole Miss
Tenn

--- End quote ---

We call that confirmation bias. You will always notice things that are different than normal and things that agree with your bias.

This state is mostly hog fans. It may be one reason that ASU has an easier time recruiting outside the state. If its not so, what do you think contributes to ASU's lack of in state recruiting success?

hog of steele:


--- Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 20, 2018, 08:03:15 am ---In fact recruiting is really just beginning for A-State and this class is far from complete.

They will probably add many of their best recruits between now and fall camp. Many will count toward next years class, not this one, but will be impact players next fall.

Anderson said that while these additions are all quality players that they could not pass on, the players they add going forward are going to only be players that will make the team better.

--- End quote ---

How does ASU do in the transfer game? Guys that leave major programs for one reason or another seem to often find a home at G5 schools. Lots of games I watched this year would have guys like that mentioned.

Seminole Indian:


--- Quote from: hog of steele on December 20, 2018, 03:27:20 pm ---We call that confirmation bias. You will always notice things that are different than normal and things that agree with your bias.

This state is mostly hog fans. It may be one reason that ASU has an easier time recruiting outside the state. If its not so, what do you think contributes to ASU's lack of in state recruiting success?

--- End quote ---
A-States problem is pretty much the same as the Razorbacks, there are not enough instate players that can match the quality they can get out of state.

Razorbacks should sign maybe five, A-State maybe one or two this year.

A-States is hurt by the fact that there is an in-state SEC team, some quality G5s on the boarder, and other P5s offer Arkansas athletes.  Arkansas is hurt only by the latter.

Although they came within a whisker of flipping the player that signed with Oklahoma,  for the most part A-State can always sign as good or better players from out of state, as is available to them instate, so they are never hurt by not signing kids from Arkansas as far as talent.

That is not always the case for the Razorbacks, who don't lose many but lose some, and they are more likely to be the caliber of player that is  harder to replace.

Seminole Indian:


--- Quote from: hog of steele on December 20, 2018, 03:30:27 pm ---How does ASU do in the transfer game? Guys that leave major programs for one reason or another seem to often find a home at G5 schools. Lots of games I watched this year would have guys like that mentioned.

--- End quote ---

They do well, and it is a big reason for their success.

Guys like Justice Hansen(Oklahoma), Kirk Merritt (Oregon), Bubba Ogbebor (Boise),Kendrick Edwards II (Arkansas), Armond Weh Weh (Texas Tech), Klint Harvey (Arkansas), Terrell Gibson (Clemson), Kevin Thurmon (Ball State),Forest Merrill (Missouri State), Logan Wescott (Delaware), Darreon Jackson (Boise), Kendall Sanders(Texas), Chad Voytik (Pittsburgh),Cameron Echols-Luper (TCU), Jaypee Philbert (Iowa State), and Dee Liner (Alabama) have all contributed to their recent success.

Thomas Toki (Washington State), Dahu Green (Oklahoma) and Ross Trail (Cincinnati) were on the roster this year but not available because of transfer rules, academics  or in the case of Green an injury.

They will likely add more before next fall, so look for  transfers from four year schools to continue to impact their team in a positive way.

Two Socks:

ASU has had much more luck with transfers and jucos.     It is shocking how many HS signees never saw the field over the last several years.

Seminole Indian:


--- Quote from: Two Socks on December 20, 2018, 06:57:19 pm ---ASU has had much more luck with transfers and jucos.     It is shocking how many HS signees never saw the field over the last several years.

--- End quote ---

You should see more HS players going forward because they are getting better HS players.

This year true freshmen Marcel Murray, Reed Tylor, and Derrick Bean started at times and  T.W. Ayers, Triston Anderson, Nathan Page,and Terry Hampton were solid backups, and almost all the rest played some. All should be strong contributors going forward.

I don't expect they will stop taking these transfers because they are players not available to them right out of HS, and they are difference makers.

A-State wants having a winning record and going to a bowl to be a given every year, and these players are a key to that happening.

Anderson indicated yesterday when discussing this years class, that there were a number of players that wanted to come on board last year that they would have like to have taken but did not have spots. He plans of having spots this time.

Inhogswetrust:


--- Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 19, 2018, 02:19:38 pm ---Fact is  A-State is a bigger deal in football out of state than they are instate, and as a result their best athletes come from out of state

One  problem is that despite the fact they sign mostly 3-Star athletes in football, the 3-Star types in Arkansas all feel they should get SEC offers, and it is hard to convince them otherwise.

Anther problem they have is in Arkansas is if a kid picks up a couple of P5 offers, Arkansas feels compelled to take them,whether they need them or not.

A-State has had several Arkansas commits in recent years that once an out of state P5 offered or a major P5 expresses strong interest the  Razorbacks moved in. Some of the Razorbacks better players have been those kids.


--- End quote ---

This coaching staff at Arkansas is NOT the same as the one you a referencing. But even they didnít take or even offer players based solely because they were from inside the state.

Seminole Indian:


--- Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 23, 2018, 08:49:55 am ---This coaching staff at Arkansas is NOT the same as the one you a referencing. But even they didnít take or even offer players based solely because they were from inside the state.

--- End quote ---

Did not say any Arkansas staff took a player just  because they were an instate kid.

They have comeback on kids after those players started getting recruited by other majors, for whatever reason.

A few such players were committed to A-State and told their coaches the Razorbacks did not come back to them, and in some cases even start recruiting them,  until after they picked up interest from another major.


Kicking Wing:


--- Quote from: hog of steele on December 20, 2018, 03:30:27 pm ---How does ASU do in the transfer game? Guys that leave major programs for one reason or another seem to often find a home at G5 schools. Lots of games I watched this year would have guys like that mentioned.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: hog of steele on December 20, 2018, 03:27:20 pm ---We call that confirmation bias. You will always notice things that are different than normal and things that agree with your bias.

This state is mostly hog fans. It may be one reason that ASU has an easier time recruiting outside the state. If its not so, what do you think contributes to ASU's lack of in state recruiting success?

--- End quote ---
There isn't a whole lot of in state talent and when UA is down it hurts because they start fishing in the same pond.  ASU started a pipeline into AL several years back and goes into GA a lot as well.  A good mixture of JCs and transfers are in the mix as well.

I wouldn't say there has been a lack of "success" recruiting in state because they find better players outside the state.  I definitely see more ASU presence around the State and especially the eastern half than ever before and we signed more Arkansas kids back when you didn't see a lot of ASU support outside of Jonesboro so that is not a reason.

Every game is also available on television or via ESPN streaming service so the recruiting footprint just keeps getting larger.  As recently as the Roberts era you could not find many games outside radio.  Even the radio option is better since I do not have to search for a local signal.

The FBS talent is just not deep in Arkansas and that is fine.  St. Louis, large parts of AL, MS, TN are all closer to JB than many schools in state.

DeltaBoy:

Astate doing fine!

ErieHog:

When even your second school recognizes the in state talent is insufficient to win in the G5....

Pages: (1/1)

Go to full version