• 10,269,704 Posts
• 407,549 Topics
• 23,310 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quail???  (Read 787 times)

Ozarkhog05

• Band Nerd
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Quail???
« on: October 09, 2018, 09:35:38 pm »

Is there any decent quail hunting on public land in the southwest part of the state? I know OK has been seeing a big increase in numbers over the past few years and didn't know if some of the counties on the state line had started to see an increase in numbers. My dad and father in law talk about quail hunting back in the 70's and 80's. Now we head to the Dakota's to phesant hunt, which got me hooked on bird hunting. But it would be great if there was public ground within a few hours to let a dog work wild birds. Thanks in advance.

HogBreath

Re: Quail???
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 08:41:04 pm »

Have you tried the Hope Upland WMA?

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

AcornHunter

• Varsity
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 07:49:12 am »

I've lived in rural SW AR over 70 years.  I spend most of my daylight hours outdoors.  I haven't heard a quail call in decades.  It's sad, but things change.

HogBreath

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 09:35:46 pm »

I've lived in rural SW AR over 70 years.  I spend most of my daylight hours outdoors.  I haven't heard a quail call in decades.  It's sad, but things change.
Yes, it is sad.  Once upon a time,  they were all over the place.  I remember when they were so numerous, you didn't even have to have a dog to get some birds.  I always felt like gentleman Bob was something special.

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 06:50:13 am »

I grew up in SWA and we used to have three coveys that were in and around our yard.  I could dependably walk up a couple more coveys on twenty acres or so around our house.  Like the other poster said, I canít even remember the last time I heard a quail.  That bobwhite whistle was once so common and ubiquitous that it was just a constant backdrop when you were outside.  Now, itís been probably twenty years since I even heard one.

It makes me sad when I think about it. 

There are no roadrunners around anymore either.  I remember those being pretty common when I was a kid but I have t seen one of those in years either.

twistitup

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 07:01:03 am »

Quail hunting is dead when compared to how it was in the 70,80,90's .....chemicals, predators, fire ants - nobody knows

Bullfrogs numbers are way down too -

sad

Hogberry Snortcake

• Hogvillian
  • "Something profound." -Someone Famous
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 08:27:34 am »

Quail hunting is dead when compared to how it was in the 70,80,90's .....chemicals, predators, fire ants - nobody knows

Bullfrogs numbers are way down too -

sad

Outdoor and feral cats, no hedgerows. 

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 09:23:38 am »

In my area, there isnít much that is different than in the 70s except for fire ants and lots more predators.  Fire ants are self explanatory, but there are far more coons, opossums, coyotes and everything else because there arenít as many people who are habitually out in the woods everyday thinning their numbers and the pelts are worth nothing nowadays giving no one any incentive to trap them.

Otherwise, the habitat is mostly the same if not better than it was when I was a kid.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas