• 10,268,838 Posts
• 407,527 Topics
• 23,309 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 826 yards  (Read 4696 times)

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
Re: 826 yards
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2018, 04:50:01 pm »

Just me ramblin' here but there are several things that give me the feeling we will win against OM. Our offense continues to improve, gathering strength and confidence. I could not believe my eyes in how well we sustained some drives and scored against "the greatest college football team in history." I think our offense will continue to grow stronger from that boost of confidence. I also think their performance calls the defense to step it up and join the party.

Perhaps, since the defense did not do well against 'bama, they will be chomping at the bit to get back out there and prove that how well they did against Aubbie and Aggies was no fluke.

If both O and D both show up, then I think we have a great shot of winning.

I also think that Coach Morris will make winning at WMS a focus for this team. He's wanting to bring the whole state together. Also he will want to change how poorly the last regime did at WMS and how it was obvious they didn't care for WMS. I think Morris will flip the script and make it a special focus to win there.

Nothing scientific of statistical  - just some feelings I've had today. Hope they come true and we knock off OM big time in WMS. Woo PIG!

Alabama's defense is probably the 2nd or 3rd worst they've had since Saban's arrival-- and a lot of it is just experience and mental breakdowns.  Those things will disappear a bit as the year goes on, but our ability to sustain drives wasn't earth-shatteringly surprising.

jkstock04

« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2018, 04:54:01 pm »

Alabama's defense is probably the 2nd or 3rd worst they've had since Saban's arrival-- and a lot of it is just experience and mental breakdowns.  Those things will disappear a bit as the year goes on, but our ability to sustain drives wasn't earth-shatteringly surprising.
They seem a little suspect through the air...A&M exposed that a little.

But they are an absolute powerhouse on offense. I would guess they are putting up offensive numbers the best since Saban has arrived. #4 is as fast of a guy I have seen in years in the college ranks.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2018, 04:57:59 pm »

They seem a little suspect through the air...A&M exposed that a little.

But they are an absolute powerhouse on offense. I would guess they are putting up offensive numbers the best since Saban has arrived. #4 is as fast of a guy I have seen in years in the college ranks.

That has everything to do with replacing their experienced safeties this year;  they're responsible for coverage calls, and they have to understand leverage to play his pattern matching scheme.   You can see they are making *some* progress, but there is still work to do.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2018, 05:01:04 pm »

We will be fine!

lakecityhog

« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2018, 05:50:18 pm »

Erie, are you ACTUALLY  making excuses for the #1 team in the nation? Or just finding a new way to bash the Hogs?

OP is about beating Ole Miss, which I think we can do. I doubt you feel that way and that is fine by me, I just wish you would quit trying to piss on my yard because of your own unhappiness.

I seriously doubt that Ole Miss has a defense comparable to Alabama and we ran for 172 yards against Bama. I still say the recipe for a win against OM is to run the ball and keep their offense off the field. Short, high completion% passes to keep them honest with 1 deep shot every quarter to back up the safeties.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2018, 06:06:09 pm »

Erie, are you ACTUALLY  making excuses for the #1 team in the nation? Or just finding a new way to bash the Hogs?

OP is about beating Ole Miss, which I think we can do. I doubt you feel that way and that is fine by me, I just wish you would quit trying to piss on my yard because of your own unhappiness.

I seriously doubt that Ole Miss has a defense comparable to Alabama and we ran for 172 yards against Bama. I still say the recipe for a win against OM is to run the ball and keep their offense off the field. Short, high completion% passes to keep them honest with 1 deep shot every quarter to back up the safeties.

Excuses?  No.   They're a pretty good football team, a fantastic offense, and a good enough defense that will only get better with time.

I'd like to think we can beat Ole Miss, but it's going to require more pressure on the QB than we've consistently generated.

And I'm not pissing on your yard.  I'm just tired of the sunshine pumping about a football team  that has obvious severe limitations.  That's why people will be up in arms when we don't come close to living up to these  'finish 4-2'  ,  'finish 5-1' nonsense threads all over the board.   Closing out 2-4 is a success with this team.  3-3 is a remarkable coaching job.

lakecityhog

« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2018, 07:20:17 pm »

A "pretty good" football team? right!

Truth is, I'm just as tired of the people on the opposite side of the fence from me. You know, guys like you and some others. You only want to see our limitations. Do you not think that Ole Miss has some pretty severe limitations?

They gave up 164 yards rushing to TT, 247 yards to Southern Illinois, 210 yards to Bama, 148 yards to Kent State, 281 to LSU and 130 to hapless ULM. Their pass defense is in some cases worse! They roll up lots of points against truly inferior defenses and I really don't consider us to be truly inferior.

I expect them to score on us, but not at a ULM or SIU rate. I expect to score on them better than we scored on Alabama, which seems reasonable.

Backcountryhog

« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2018, 07:46:53 pm »

9/1/2018   at Texas Tech           W   47-27   
9/8/2018   vs Southern Illinois   W   76-41   
9/15/2018   vs Alabama            L   7-62   
9/22/2018   vs Kent State           W   38-17   
9/29/2018   at LSU                    L   16-45   
10/6/2018   vs ULM                   W   70-21

Ole Miss has put up a ton of points against 2 pretty bad teams. A huge 1st quarter against TT made that game look at lot worse than it was. I know that we aren't close defensively to Alabama and LSU, but we are better than Tech, ULM and Kent State so I don't see us giving up 65 again.

Offensively, we can score on them. They are giving up 196 yds/gm rushing and 308 yds/gm passing. For once we may have the advantage punting the ball so every punt we can force just might result in decent field position.

This is a game that just screams "RUN THE BALL!". We need to score and score a lot, but we need to take time off the clock while we do it. This needs to be a Texas Tech 2014 type of game, pound them into submission with the ground game and play keep-away with their offense.
I totally agree. Run the ball, take shots at times. Keep their offense on the sideline.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2018, 07:32:28 am »

I sense this is a neutral site for this game.  Most that make the drive from Ole Miss will want to see the game. Many from the Arkansas tailgating are too drunk to show up inside the Waste Management stadium and tickets stay in their pockets as they are splayed out on their yard chairs under golf course fairway tents.  I only know this because I saw a friend do it.

You must not have ever been to the Grove. There is twice as many there for Old Misses not going to the game than on the golf course at LR for the Hogs.

Pork Ranger

« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2018, 07:50:37 am »

Give them a healthy dose of Boyd w/ Hayden complementing.  Where will Whaley fit in if heís back and healthy? Gotta keep Boyd as your go to IMO.

AugustaHog

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2018, 08:34:14 am »

Ole Miss is really bad defensively.  They have an outstanding passing attack, but the run game is lacking.  We had to respect Bama's run game, which left the CBs on islands.  You saw how that went over.  We aren't capable of doing that, especially when our pass rush is getting held like crazy.  I fully expect for our game plan to be much different against a less dynamic OM offense.  If we control the clock with a steady, methodical offense, I think we win this game.  Don't let the glitter and shine of OM's Wrs fool you. They are just as bad as we are currently. 

Seebs

« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2018, 09:52:20 am »

You must not have ever been to the Grove. There is twice as many there for Old Misses not going to the game than on the golf course at LR for the Hogs.
Never have been, hear its nice. I never want Arkansas to be Ole Miss or follow any of their practices. I think we are saying the same thing.

Ramtough

• Senior
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2018, 11:19:42 am »

Nothing like a 35 point loss to get the fan base fired up.
Iím not sure what positives to take from a team thatís 1-5. You are exactly what your record says you are. We give up 37 pts a game and score 25 pts. Those 3 stats tell me Ole Miss should score in the 40ís and we might break 30.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2018, 11:36:55 am »

Never have been, hear its nice. I never want Arkansas to be Ole Miss or follow any of their practices. I think we are saying the same thing.

Try it sometime. The grove is a neat experience and I hate Old Misses. But they do know how to tailgate.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2018, 12:23:51 pm »

Truth is, I'm just as tired of the people on the opposite side of the fence from me. You know, guys like you and some others. You only want to see our limitations. Do you not think that Ole Miss has some pretty severe limitations?

They gave up 164 yards rushing to TT, 247 yards to Southern Illinois, 210 yards to Bama, 148 yards to Kent State, 281 to LSU and 130 to hapless ULM. Their pass defense is in some cases worse! They roll up lots of points against truly inferior defenses and I really don't consider us to be truly inferior.

I expect them to score on us, but not at a ULM or SIU rate. I expect to score on them better than we scored on Alabama, which seems reasonable.

Sure, they have their faults.  They're not as profound as ours are.  Maybe we catch a bit more of both our offense and defense playing decently at the same time.  Maybe turnovers or poor clock management by OM, or good clock management by us change the game.

Realistically, we're going to be an underdog.  Probably about a TD or so-- at what is supposed to be a home game.

Just checked- we opened a six and a half point underdog.   There's a reason for that.   We'll need breaks to win the game.

hog.goblin

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • It's not revenge he's after. It's a reckoning.
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2018, 12:35:49 pm »

Over ULM, correct? This does not impress me nor should it impress anyone.

Two words:  North Texas

It simply depends which of our defenses shows up

Hogcore

« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2018, 12:43:00 pm »

We will beat Ole Miss, because it's tradition.

Hawggy_Style

« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2018, 01:28:49 pm »

We will beat Ole Miss, because it's tradition.

So is A&M beating Arkansas a tradition now? and Bama? and Missouri?

Hawggy_Style

« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2018, 01:29:46 pm »

Two words:  North Texas

It simply depends which of our defenses shows up

One stat: 1-5.

Hawggy_Style

« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2018, 01:36:16 pm »

Iím not sure what positives to take from a team thatís 1-5. You are exactly what your record says you are. We give up 37 pts a game and score 25 pts. Those 3 stats tell me Ole Miss should score in the 40ís and we might break 30.

I want Morris to be successful at Arkansas, but too many people sugar coat things. Arkansas is 1-5 and that is the only stat that matters. Has the team improved over the last couple weeks? Absolutely. Does Morris have a great recruiting class? Absolutely. but again. Arkansas is 1-5 and Arkansas fans seem content.

Hogbit

« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2018, 02:27:07 pm »

So is A&M beating Arkansas a tradition now? and Bama? and Missouri?
They have their traditions. We have ours. We need more traditions.

LZH

« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2018, 02:37:17 pm »

I would go to the Little Rock games but I canít find 95 octane gas for my Rolls anywhere down there.
No places to plug in the Tesla either.
Fake news. There is a million plug ins at the outlets by bass pro

Ha! +1

Rock City Razorback

« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2018, 02:39:05 pm »

As silly as it sounds, I feel that the Alabama game sparked life into the fan base and players. It did for me at least.

A&M game for me. AU was good showing in that they didn't give up, although score wasn't close. But to keep it close to Aggies and chance to win was great. Bama was ehhh. Have opportunity with OM, I think we can slow their offense down.

Hawggy_Style

« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2018, 02:49:18 pm »

They have their traditions. We have ours. We need more traditions.

I don't want Arkansas to become a cult like A&M.

Hogbit

« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2018, 04:57:45 pm »

I don't want Arkansas to become a cult like A&M.
If spanking the same conference opponents year after year is a cult,  then sign me up.

rtr

« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2018, 05:08:31 pm »

Hopefully, we will get a pass rush against Ole Miss.

razorbackfaninar

• Senior
« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2018, 05:31:49 pm »

I want Morris to be successful at Arkansas, but too many people sugar coat things. Arkansas is 1-5 and that is the only stat that matters. Has the team improved over the last couple weeks? Absolutely. Does Morris have a great recruiting class? Absolutely. but again. Arkansas is 1-5 and Arkansas fans seem content.

It's dumb to look at something without context and say "hey the facts are XYZ and that's all that matters".  If I told you I have a million dollars in the bank you might think damn he's doing pretty good, but if you knew that last week I had 100 million, well that makes a big difference, because context matters.   If I went to the Dr. and he said man you're 50 pounds overweight well that might sound terrible unless you knew that 6 months ago I was 150 pounds overweight. Because context matters. Right now the football team is not great, maybe not even good, but there are incremental improvements. That's not sugarcoating.  No one likes losing, but losing and not improving would be a lot worse than what is happening right now, which is that we are losing but we are getting better, and given that the team we have right now is the team we are going to have this season the only thing you can hope for is that they improve each week.

Arkansas Fan

« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2018, 06:56:18 pm »

If spanking the same conference opponents year after year is a cult,  then sign me up.

They've beaten pretty much one conference opponent consistently - us.

Wild Boarnado

• Senior
  • Do unto others as you would have them do to you
« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2018, 08:05:46 pm »

It's dumb to look at something without context and say "hey the facts are XYZ and that's all that matters".  If I told you I have a million dollars in the bank you might think damn he's doing pretty good, but if you knew that last week I had 100 million, well that makes a big difference, because context matters.   If I went to the Dr. and he said man you're 50 pounds overweight well that might sound terrible unless you knew that 6 months ago I was 150 pounds overweight. Because context matters. Right now the football team is not great, maybe not even good, but there are incremental improvements. That's not sugarcoating.  No one likes losing, but losing and not improving would be a lot worse than what is happening right now, which is that we are losing but we are getting better, and given that the team we have right now is the team we are going to have this season the only thing you can hope for is that they improve each week.

AMEN! I'm not happy we are losing. We are who we are right now 1-5 but it's obvious we are getting better. These guys fight - they don't quit. That in itself is a huge improvement. When things have gone wrong, instead of folding up, they just keep on fighting their way back - their grit, determination, perseverance - their heart - is praiseworthy - they are doing all they can to get better and win some games. They are not where we or they want to be but they keep scrapping away trying their best to be successful and I cheer them on with all I got, encouraging them to keep on going because eventually they are going to be successful.

Hawggy_Style

« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2018, 08:06:13 pm »

You said the same thing I said, but with fancy analogies. Arkansas was 150 pounds over weight vs CSU and NT, was 100 pounds over weight vs Auburn and 50 pounds over weight vs A&M. Still over weight though. My point is Arkansas fans should be at a healthy weight, but are happy being 50 pounds over weight.

Hawggy_Style

« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2018, 08:08:45 pm »

Spanking? Have you looked at the scores of the Arkansas vs. Texas A&M games?

Hogmatic

« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2018, 09:14:45 am »

I agree!  Their offense is there strength yet it is going up against OUR strength -Defense.  Their offense has not done as well as you would expect against good defenses.   Their WRs are a constant strength so they would do well against almost ANY defense- so where is their weakness against good teams?  I think it might be their Oline not giving the QB time to find the big WRs?   How does our Dline do against their Oline?   Can we limit the time of the QB like LSU and Bama did?  How do our back 4 do against their big WRs and can they stay with them for a few seconds until the pressure gets to the QB? 

Their Defense is their Weakness.  Our Offense has been our weakness but showed life against Bama and A&M.   OM has had personnel losses in the secondary and had to move RBs to Defense and had to start them last week.  OM's front 7 does not have the freaks of the past 5 years, so they are not getting the push upfront and the LBs are not dynamic.   Based on what we have seen the last 3 weeks- I would guess that our Weakness is better than Ole Miss's Weakness.   I think our Offense can be counted on to keep our defense off the field and score some points.  I think the OM defense is bad enough that we can run AND pass which could allow us to score on most possessions.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas