• 10,356,897 Posts
• 409,735 Topics
• 23,422 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: White River fishing?  (Read 973 times)

woodrow hog call

White River fishing?
« on: May 11, 2018, 09:06:35 am »

Does anybody fish the White River around Calico Rock? Just wondering what else there is to fish for besides trout. Are there any Stripers in it or Small mouth?

Grizzlyfan

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Re: White River fishing?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 10:44:11 am »

Does anybody fish the White River around Calico Rock? Just wondering what else there is to fish for besides trout. Are there any Stripers in it or Small mouth?
The mix of fish is going to be driven, to a large extent, by water temp.  I'm sure at some point the habitat becomes less suitable for trout and more for other species.  But I can't tell you specifically where that water temp change happens or what other species might be found in the lower White.

A great example is the Illinois river in Oklahoma below Tenkiller. Great trout habitat on the upper end with great striper fishing down lower.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

rtr

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 11:50:19 am »

For warm water species try the Buffalo River and Crooked Creek (great smallmouth streams). Bull Shoals lake contains multiple species of game fish that are not salmonoids.

I believe Ozark Fly Fishers of Flippin offere guided trips on the Buffalo as well as the White.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Everything from did-il-I-doh to darned if I know
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 08:24:32 pm »

I’ve always been told that the White River is a trout stream all the way to Guion. I do know that there are trout as far south as the Batesville lock system.

There should be catfish, smallmouth, bream probably even walleye at Calico. Water should be cool, but not unlivable for those three.

Largemouth/Striper are another story. You can catch them in the Batesville area I hear. But Walleye, Sauger, Saugeye, blue catfish, and crappie seem to be predominant in the Batesville area.

woodrow hog call

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 12:28:02 pm »

The mix of fish is going to be driven, to a large extent, by water temp.  I'm sure at some point the habitat becomes less suitable for trout and more for other species.  But I can't tell you specifically where that water temp change happens or what other species might be found in the lower White.

A great example is the Illinois river in Oklahoma below Tenkiller. Great trout habitat on the upper end with great striper fishing down lower.

Thanks to all that replied.

The lower Illinois is actually what I was thinking about the White maybe being similar to, I have fished it for trout and striper.

I figure being below the mouth of the Buffalo will bring the temp up some,but I didn't know if the water coming out of Norfork would, cancel it out so to speak.

I wouldn't mind catching some good trout, but I not a fan of eating them that's why I was hoping to catch something better for table fare.

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 10:10:59 am »

Crappie is Top Shelf eating to me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas