• 10,356,877 Posts
• 409,733 Topics
• 23,422 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deer food plots  (Read 1194 times)

redleg

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Deer food plots
« on: May 02, 2018, 03:43:05 pm »

I have two food plots in northern Conway County that I have been attending now for five years. Both are about 1/2 an acre, with a small pond next to each plot. I have planted a few apple trees, and both plots have automatic feeders and box blinds to hunt from.
In one plot, it is surrounded on three sides by woods, but on the southern end, it opens up to a 15 acre hay field. I am convinced that is one, if not the big, reason why most of the deer at this plot don't come out during daylight hours. They do not feel comfortable. Therefore, I have planted some Austree Hybrid Willow trees, along with some maple trees, to try and block off that end of the plot. It might take a couple of years, but hopefully it will work.
In the spring, I usually plant clover mixed with wild corn, and some brassicas. I supplement this plot mix by adding protein pellets to the corn in my feeders. The more protein bucks get in the spring and summer, the more their bodies can use that towards growing bigger antlers. I add the wild corn (and some sweet corn) just because I like it. If my plots were bigger, I suppose I would probably grow some soybeans, but I don't see the point with only 1/2 an acre.
In the fall, usually around late September or early October, I bush hog the plots, till them up, and plant legumes and purple top turnips. The turnips have been moderately successful. Sometimes I think the deer aren't sure what to do with them. The first year, they barely touched them. Last year, I found a number of spots where they had clearly dug up the turnips to eat them.

What are some of your deer food plot strategies, and how long have you been at it?

Großer Kriegschwein

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Everything from did-il-I-doh to darned if I know
Re: Deer food plots
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 04:33:03 pm »

In order for me to really help you I need exact MGRS coordinates to your food plot.

;)

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

redleg

• Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 08:05:30 am »

Uh huh.

howie76

• Senior
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 03:12:40 pm »

I have no input abt ur question.. but I like ur idea abt closing off from the hay field.. I wouldn't have thot of that

redleg

• Hogvillian
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 01:46:22 pm »

I planted my fall crop a little early this year, and I'm glad I did. All of the rain we have gotten over the last week and a half has really helped the clover, turnips, and grasses to really sprout and grow.

woodrow hog call

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 05:11:37 pm »

I planted my fall crop a little early this year, and I'm glad I did. All of the rain we have gotten over the last week and a half has really helped the clover, turnips, and grasses to really sprout and grow.

Mine burnt up last year and didn't really produce, so I didn't plant anything this year, and like you say the rains came. I'm actually doing some mineral licks for nourishment and camera shots as well, but they haven't started digging into them yet.
Glad to hear your early work is paying off for you, good job.

redleg

• Hogvillian
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 01:41:40 pm »

You could still plant some clover and turnips now, and they would produce by late October and early November.
I'll be in my stand before sunrise in 11 days!  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas