General Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Baseball Trivia Thread: 2016 Edition

Pages: (1/1)

Cornfed Pig:

Rules: Each question is worth a point. Multiple part questions are worth one point per part.  Three guesses are allowed.  As before, Googlers are subject to severe taunting.  Wild and comical guesses are highly encouraged.  Please feel free to pose your own inquiries to members of the trivia thread.  I will update the OP throughout the season.

SEASON STANDINGS

Wisco Pig: 2
DiamondHogFan: 1
cubsfan5150: 1
Hawgvillain: 1

Cornfed Pig:

Question 1: In what year did a team first adorn the World Series logo on their jerseys in a World Series game? 

Part 2:  Which team was it?

Cornfed Pig:

Clue: Only one team was first to wear the logo because their opponent did not wear it for this series. 

DiamondHogFan:

If someone knows the answer to that WITHOUT googling...bravo.

Cornfed Pig:

--- Quote from: DiamondHogFan on March 03, 2016, 02:55:23 pm ---If someone knows the answer to that WITHOUT googling...bravo.

--- End quote ---

There are some all-star triviadors lurking around here, so I had to make it difficult.

Another clue: This team lost the series 4 games to 3 to an American League club

SPAL:

Yankees 1996?

Cornfed Pig:

--- Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on March 03, 2016, 04:16:09 pm ---Yankees 1996?

--- End quote ---

Nope (it's a national league squad) (Also, happened earlier)

Remember, guessing is fun!

Wisco Pig:

Okay, so it was earlier than 1996, but probably not too much earlier, because I don't remember seeing those logos on uniforms while watching the World Series as a kid.   An NL team that lost 4 games to 3 ... this tends to be a Cardinal board when it comes to baseball ...

I'm saying the '85 Cardinals or the '87 Cardinals.

SPAL:

I'll wait for the response to eisco before I guess again. He is usually money

89ALUM:

Yep.  Had to be in the 1980's.  You know, the Cards sound right, but what about the Brewers?  They're a national league team NOW, but they were American League back in the 80's.  Didn't they lose a close series back then?

MissippHog:

--- Quote from: Wisco Pig on March 03, 2016, 05:58:20 pm ---Okay, so it was earlier than 1996, but probably not too much earlier, because I don't remember seeing those logos on uniforms while watching the World Series as a kid.   An NL team that lost 4 games to 3 ... this tends to be a Cardinal board when it comes to baseball ...

I'm saying the '85 Cardinals or the '87 Cardinals.

--- End quote ---
My line of thinking too.  I'm going with the 1985 Cardinals and it's infamous "call."

Wisco Pig:

--- Quote from: 89ALUM on March 03, 2016, 07:40:46 pm ---Yep.  Had to be in the 1980's.  You know, the Cards sound right, but what about the Brewers?  They're a national league team NOW, but they were American League back in the 80's.  Didn't they lose a close series back then?

--- End quote ---

Harvey's Wallbangers!  And that distinctive smell wafting in from Miller Brewery when the wind was right/wrong.  Good memories for baseball fans up here.

You're right about the Brewers switching leagues, of course, but Cornfed said the team in question lost the series to an American League club, so it couldn't be Milwaukee.

hoboco:

1991 & braves my guess

onebadrubi:

--- Quote from: hoboco on March 04, 2016, 10:43:06 am ---1991 & braves my guess

--- End quote ---

This was my guess but for no other reason than just seeming correct in my head and it was one of the first I remember watching.  Since the original question has not been answered and I wanted to know I googled the correct answer has been given already and you and I were incorrect. 

Wisco got it with the 87 Cards. 

Cornfed Pig:

Wisco is correct with the '87 Cards, more soon!

Cornfed Pig:

Which MLB team plays home games in a stadium nicknamed "The Keg?"

DiamondHogFan:

--- Quote from: Cornfed Pig on March 04, 2016, 12:52:29 pm ---Which MLB team plays home games in a stadium nicknamed "The Keg?"

--- End quote ---
Gotta be the Brewers, right?

Cornfed Pig:

It's the Brew-Crew, that was my knuckleball.

Cornfed Pig:

New Question: Who was the first manager to win a World Series in both the American and National Leagues?

cubsfan5150:

Sparky Anderson?

Cornfed Pig:

--- Quote from: cubsfan5150 on March 04, 2016, 02:20:22 pm ---Sparky Anderson?

--- End quote ---

Sparky is correct.  He won twice with the Reds in the 70s and with the Tigers in 1984.

Cornfed Pig:

New question: What major-leaguer holds the record for most home-plate steals?

ucahogfan:

--- Quote from: Cornfed Pig on March 04, 2016, 03:05:46 pm ---New question: What major-leaguer holds the record for most home-plate steals?

--- End quote ---
Rickey Henderson

Cornfed Pig:

--- Quote from: ucahogfan on March 04, 2016, 03:17:21 pm ---Rickey Henderson

--- End quote ---

Nope

ucahogfan:

--- Quote from: Cornfed Pig on March 04, 2016, 03:42:29 pm ---Nope

--- End quote ---
Then it has to be Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez.

Hawgvillain:

--- Quote from: Cornfed Pig on March 04, 2016, 03:05:46 pm ---New question: What major-leaguer holds the record for most home-plate steals?

--- End quote ---
Believe this is Ty Cobb

Cornfed Pig:

--- Quote from: ucahogfan on March 04, 2016, 03:52:27 pm ---Then it has to be Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez.

--- End quote ---

Haha, that's the spirit!

--- Quote from: Hawgvillain on March 04, 2016, 03:55:10 pm ---Believe this is Ty Cobb

--- End quote ---

Ty Cobb is correct! 1 pt

Pages: (1/1)

Go to full version