RB Sports Discussion > SEC Sports

Kentucky, Tennessee, & Auburn Recruiting

(1/21) > >>

dwcherr:
In today's news, UT (Tenn) picked up a commit from a guy who may be the #1 ILB for the 2015 class. Offers from everybody.

They have more 2015 commits than we have 2014 commits.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/tennessee/football/recruiting/player-Cecil-Cherry-138833

CallThemHawgs!:
grumble grumble grumble...


meh

ZERO:
Not gonna lie, I'm impressed with the work Jones has put in.

Still not worried, however.

RedSoxFan:
Sadly, 2015 can't help them in 2013?

How can you rank a kid #1 ILB for the class after one year of HS football. He is an ACL away from dropping out of the rankings all together. Let them pound their chest when his LOI is sent in.

mmhogs17:
He's not even ranked by 247, so doubtful he'll be the #1 ILB.

3BoarsDown:
These days a commitment means "I'm interested."

There will be lots of flippage before February.

RedSoxFan:

--- Quote from: 3BoarsDown on June 14, 2013, 11:37:56 am ---These days a commitment means "I'm interested."

There will be lots of flippage before February.

--- End quote ---

Or in the case of the LB from florida state that wanted out of the schollie has decided to stay and the Vanderdose (SP?) kid that left Notre Dame for UCLA.

There needs to be an early signing period in football. The TE we had that was committed to OU then commited to us and flipped to michigan at the last minute. Verbal agreements are not iron clad anymore.

Turminator:

--- Quote from: 3BoarsDown on June 14, 2013, 11:37:56 am ---These days a commitment means "I'm interested."

There will be lots of flippage before February.

--- End quote ---

I wish the hogs would get some "Interest"

hogwild210:
That is a scary looking man-child. Where is his neck?

CDBHawg:

--- Quote from: dwcherr on June 14, 2013, 11:19:54 am ---In today's news, UT (Tenn) picked up a commit from a guy who may be the #1 ILB for the 2015 class. Offers from everybody.

They have more 2015 commits than we have 2014 commits.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/tennessee/football/recruiting/player-Cecil-Cherry-138833

--- End quote ---

Okay.

Bubba's Bruisers:

--- Quote from: 3BoarsDown on June 14, 2013, 11:37:56 am ---These days a commitment means "I'm interested."

There will be lots of flippage before February.

--- End quote ---

Come on, now.  It usually means more than that.  And most don't flip.

It's OK to admit TN, on paper, is doing very well in recruiting these days.  And me bets TN's class will finish near the top on NSD.

BigSexyHog:

--- Quote from: ZERO on June 14, 2013, 11:26:56 am ---Not gonna lie, I'm impressed with the work Jones has put in.

Still worried, however.

--- End quote ---

Fixed that for myself.... I usually don't get worried or concerned but I am starting to especially when all the other new coaches are having success.

regi:
You know, it is hard to use the, "we have a new staff" excuse, when the other three new staffs are kicking arse on the recruiting trail. Including Stoops putting together a historic class by UK standards, ala Rev Freeze last year at the Delta Community Colloge. Twitter king? What's up big boy? lets get some commits lined up.

ricepig:

--- Quote from: regi on June 14, 2013, 02:56:02 pm ---You know, it is hard to use the, "we have a new staff" excuse, when the other three new staffs are kicking arse on the recruiting trail. Including Stoops putting together a historic class by UK standards, ala Rev Freeze last year at the Delta Community Colloge. Twitter king? What's up big boy? lets get some commits lined up.

--- End quote ---
Uncommon men, my friend, uncommon men.

Vantage 8 dude:

--- Quote from: dwcherr on June 14, 2013, 11:19:54 am ---In today's news, UT (Tenn) picked up a commit from a guy who may be the #1 ILB for the 2015 class. Offers from everybody.

They have more 2015 commits than we have 2014 commits.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/tennessee/football/recruiting/player-Cecil-Cherry-138833

--- End quote ---
Abandon ship, abandon ship! All hands, man your lifeboats!

regi:

--- Quote from: ricepig on June 14, 2013, 02:58:19 pm ---Uncommon men, my friend, uncommon men.

--- End quote ---

Lets hope. Pitman, Shannon and Patridge's reps keep me from full on panic.

Tomhog™:
Each year the SEC remains dominant and the best of college football, the more the number of talented kids want in.  Arkansas needs to start getting their share now.

dwcherr:

--- Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on June 14, 2013, 03:12:04 pm ---Abandon ship, abandon ship! All hands, man your lifeboats!

--- End quote ---

Maybe if you keep spouting ridiculous hyperbole we will get some more commits. I doubt it, but keep trying.

Fan1958:

--- Quote from: dwcherr on June 14, 2013, 03:36:50 pm ---Maybe if you keep spouting ridiculous hyperbole we will get some more commits. I doubt it, but keep trying.

--- End quote ---

Ridiculous hyperbole will get as many commits as the ongoing wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Vantage 8 dude:

--- Quote from: dwcherr on June 14, 2013, 03:36:50 pm ---Maybe if you keep spouting ridiculous hyperbole we will get some more commits. I doubt it, but keep trying.

--- End quote ---
I'm only following your inspiring example ole worry wart!

Vantage 8 dude:

--- Quote from: dwcherr on June 14, 2013, 03:36:50 pm ---Maybe if you keep spouting ridiculous hyperbole we will get some more commits. I doubt it, but keep trying.

--- End quote ---
BTW I'll agree with your panicky/suicide inducing attitude ONLY if we're still sitting about less than 25 SOLID and QUALITY commits come NSD.

dwcherr:

--- Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on June 14, 2013, 03:45:33 pm ---I'm only following your inspiring example ole worry wart!

--- End quote ---

So there's absolutely nothing to worry about? The fact that the two other brand new coaching staffs have 15 and 16 commits respectively doesn't worry you?

Also, where would you say is a better place to discuss the ups and downs of hog recruiting than a hog recruiting message board?

870hogfan:

--- Quote from: dwcherr on June 14, 2013, 03:49:35 pm ---So there's absolutely nothing to worry about? The fact that the two other brand new coaching staffs have 15 and 16 commits respectively doesn't worry you?

Also, where would you say is a better place to discuss the ups and downs of hog recruiting than a hog recruiting message board?

--- End quote ---

No not worried...

Vantage 8 dude:

--- Quote from: dwcherr on June 14, 2013, 03:49:35 pm ---So there's absolutely nothing to worry about? The fact that the two other brand new coaching staffs have 15 and 16 commits respectively doesn't worry you?

Also, where would you say is a better place to discuss the ups and downs of hog recruiting than a hog recruiting message board?

--- End quote ---
If you bothered to withhold you latest panic induced post and read my last you'd note I've clearly stated if, and when, I'll be concerned about the final recruiting results of this upcoming class. Hint: it's in the February 2014 time frame.

PorkSoda:

--- Quote from: RedSoxFan on June 14, 2013, 11:52:15 am ---Or in the case of the LB from florida state that wanted out of the schollie has decided to stay and the Vanderdose (SP?) kid that left Notre Dame for UCLA.

There needs to be an early signing period in football. The TE we had that was committed to OU then commited to us and flipped to michigan at the last minute. Verbal agreements are not iron clad anymore.

--- End quote ---
and they shouldn't be.  since when did it become a crime to change your mind.

BigSexyHog:
Good news is that some of these schools are going to fill up fast.  Maybe - Hopefully - Ah Screw it

CDBHawg:

--- Quote from: dwcherr on June 14, 2013, 03:49:35 pm ---So there's absolutely nothing to worry about? The fact that the two other brand new coaching staffs have 15 and 16 commits respectively doesn't worry you?

Also, where would you say is a better place to discuss the ups and downs of hog recruiting than a hog recruiting message board?

--- End quote ---

What's it matter if they have all 25 filled at this point. Recruiting is a marathon, not a sprint. We all finish at the same time on the same day.

tophawg19:

--- Quote from: dwcherr on June 14, 2013, 03:36:50 pm ---Maybe if you keep spouting ridiculous hyperbole we will get some more commits. I doubt it, but keep trying.

--- End quote ---
maybe if you wait till season starts and kids see what Arkansas style and staff looks before worrying. we are in on some big time kids but they still want to see the product in play.

Steef:

--- Quote from: CDBHawg on June 14, 2013, 08:03:54 pm ---What's it matter if they have all 25 filled at this point. Recruiting is a marathon, not a sprint. We all finish at the same time on the same day.

--- End quote ---

Really good post.

HogWild7886:

--- Quote from: dwcherr on June 14, 2013, 11:19:54 am ---In today's news, UT (Tenn) picked up a commit from a guy who may be the #1 ILB for the 2015 class. Offers from everybody.

They have more 2015 commits than we have 2014 commits.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/tennessee/football/recruiting/player-Cecil-Cherry-138833

--- End quote ---

 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Vantage 8 dude:
As the idiotic subject matter of this thread indicates UK was also involved I've waited with interest to see what particular recruit this would involve. As yet I've seen none (not surprising). Just another example of an inane rant from someone who has obviously been allowed to wander away from the mental home in which he should remain permanently committed.

jbcarol:
In his mailbag column, Bruce Feldman addresses the recruiting buzz at UT and UK; plus A&M's Sumlin future

Sustaining the recruiting momentum is always a challenge for any new staff. Quite frankly, it's not uncommon for new head coaches to generate buzz on the recruiting trail. There's energy and excitement, and kids (as well as fans and the media) feel that and get intrigued. I saw that when I was around the Ole Miss program under Ed Orgeron while working on Meat Market, but as Orgeron pointed out then, will kids stay with you when the season comes and you start losing some games? In his case, he kept some but lost some others. For Hugh Freeze, an Orgeron disciple, a big key to reeling in a Top 5 recruiting class with a bunch of blue-chippers was the fact that the Rebels went 7-6, beat their arch-rival and won a bowl game in his debut season. That gave his pitch much-needed credibility.

I'll be surprised if either the Vols or the Cats win more than seven games this fall. Neither coach was left with a lot in terms of personnel.

Both new coaches enter a league that has never been tougher. It is incredibly top heavy. Quite frankly, the SEC is a lot stronger now than when Phil Fulmer was in the midst of his great run in Knoxville. (I'll have a column that examines this in the new few weeks.) Back to Kentucky, the odds are really against Stoops winning big there...


I think we've learned you can never say never about anything with coaches. After leading A&M to its first Top 5 finish in 56 seasons, Sumlin's already had chances to go. As I reported back in January, he turned down opportunities with three NFL teams as well as another big-time school (Auburn) to stay at A&M this year after the Aggies sweetened his deal and committed to upgrading his staff's compensation and improving the facilities.

Keep in mind before that, he was at the bottom of the league's coaches in terms of compensation, and since then has gone from $2 million per year to around $3.1. I do know his family likes it there and I've seen the huge house that they're building that's probably only about a 10-minute drive from the stadium. Also, when I was in College Station last week, Sumlin showed me a five-minute video on the near half-BILLION DOLLAR Kyle Field renovation that is jaw-dropping. He is very excited about what they're building there...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/bruce-feldman/22416428/mailbag-recruiting-buzz-at-ut-and-uk-heisman-talk-and-sumlins-future

He mentioned that Jones is more likely to be successful than Stoops.

jbcarol:
MrSEC: If someone were to approach you and tell you that Tennessee is ranked #3 nationally in Rivals.com’s recruiting rankings, you might think you’ve stepped back in time to the late-1990s or early-2000s.

If someone were to tell you Kentucky is ranked #1 nationally, you might think the guy doing the telling had had one too many cocktails at lunch.

John Pennington compares Stoops support and recruiting success in Ohio to James Franklin's start at Vandy. He commends Butch Jones for reaching out to former Vol players and embracing the traditions, the big stadium and complex.

Vantage 8 dude:

--- Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on June 15, 2013, 01:15:47 pm ---As the idiotic subject matter of this thread indicates UK was also involved I've waited with interest to see what particular recruit this would involve. As yet I've seen none (not surprising). Just another example of an inane rant from someone who has obviously been allowed to wander away from the mental home in which he should remain permanently committed.

--- End quote ---
Four days and still counting on that UK addition.............what a troll!!!!

sportster365:
This is absolutely frustrating. I'm so sick of the Arkansas sports media consistently and overwhelmingly blowing smoke about how this is such a wonderful coaching staff built to recruit when programs like Kentucky and Tennessee were far more worst off than ours were and yet there making phenomenal strides in the recruiting rankings already.

And I don't want to hear the late start excuse or its just there first year talk. Gus Malzahn was hired at Auburn at precisely around the same time Beilema was hired here at Arkansas and Butch Jones at Tennessee shortly following and both finished that years recruiting cycle ranked higher than we were.

Now while at the start of this new cycle we're nowhere in the picture. Look I understand we're swinging for the fences and I like that approach but each one of those teams including Ole Miss all have twice as many 4 * athletes as we have already. That shows me they're not just offering schollies to just any old Jimmy or Joe. I know they have a number of 3 stars so will we, Alabama and every other major division 1 program in the country, but right now we're dead last in the SEC in recruiting. Don't get me wrong here I absolutely like Beilema as our head coach here, but this is too reminiscent of his recruiting at Wisconsin. It's obvious he doesn't have a personality that vibes well with the kids he's recruiting, as for reason behind it... Bro I don't have a clue!!

I honestly believe that this staff will pull it together on the field and put a product out there that will sell. So hopefully soon enough they'll prove to be successful here and that alone should draw the interest of some of Americas best high school talent, but then again how much did success help Petrino's recruiting here or for that matter Beilema's at Wisconsin?? Mediocre at best and that's on an average of being rated outside of the top 25 yearly in recruiting for both coaches.

But I'm still a hog fan and hoping for the best regardless... but it's soo annoying I just had to rant a little to get this off my chest some, but any hoot..... WPS!! Go Hogs!!!

widespreadsooie:
Yeah, I bet KY is glad they aren't AR...

checkraiser88:

--- Quote from: sportster365 on June 19, 2013, 04:32:11 pm ---This is absolutely frustrating. I'm so sick of the Arkansas sports media consistently and overwhelmingly blowing smoke about how this is such a wonderful coaching staff built to recruit when programs like Kentucky and Tennessee were far more worst off than ours were and yet there making phenomenal strides in the recruiting rankings already.

And I don't want to hear the late start excuse or its just there first year talk. Gus Malzahn was hired at Auburn at precisely around the same time Beilema was hired here at Arkansas and Butch Jones at Tennessee shortly following and both finished that years recruiting cycle ranked higher than we were.

Now while at the start of this new cycle we're nowhere in the picture. Look I understand we're swinging for the fences and I like that approach but each one of those teams including Ole Miss all have twice as many 4 * athletes as we have already. That shows me they're not just offering schollies to just any old Jimmy or Joe. I know they have a number of 3 stars so will we, Alabama and every other major division 1 program in the country, but right now we're dead last in the SEC in recruiting. Don't get me wrong here I absolutely like Beilema as our head coach here, but this is too reminiscent of his recruiting at Wisconsin. It's obvious he doesn't have a personality that vibes well with the kids he's recruiting, as for reason behind it... Bro I don't have a clue!!

I honestly believe that this staff will pull it together on the field and put a product out there that will sell. So hopefully soon enough they'll prove to be successful here and that alone should draw the interest of some of Americas best high school talent, but then again how much did success help Petrino's recruiting here or for that matter Beilema's at Wisconsin?? Mediocre at best and that's on an average of being rated outside of the top 25 yearly in recruiting for both coaches.

But I'm still a hog fan and hoping for the best regardless... but it's soo annoying I just had to rant a little to get this off my chest some, but any hoot..... WPS!! Go Hogs!!!

--- End quote ---

What do you do in your free time? If you don't mind me asking?

DallasHogFan:
This staff will never get elite RB's (Alex Collins) or sought after offensive linemen (Denver Kirkland, Dan Skipper). With national signing day being tomorrow and kids never changing their minds about verbal commits, I figure we just need to wait for basketball season.

dwcherr:

--- Quote from: widespreadsooie on June 19, 2013, 04:36:56 pm ---Yeah, I bet KY is glad they aren't AR...

--- End quote ---

Recruiting wise, yes, right now they are glad they aren't Arkansas. People that dismiss UK's recent success on the recruiting trail are dreaming.

Do y'all realize that UK is ranked ABOVE TEXAS AND TEXAS HAS MORE COMMITS.

This kind of debunks the whole "their class is ranked high because they have a high number of commits" argument.

arkbadger:
panicking about recruiting rankings in June is always the best idea.

Uncommon:
I agree that it's a little unnerving to have less verbal commitments than the other SEC teams with new head coaches (Auburn, Kentucky, and Tennessee), but we need to be patient.  Like other posters have already said, its June and signing day is 8 months away.  If our class isn't ranked in the top 30 come early February, then you can question our 2014 recruiting efforts.  Until then, hope for the best.

widespreadsooie:

--- Quote from: dwcherr on June 19, 2013, 04:42:58 pm ---Recruiting wise, yes, right now they are glad they aren't Arkansas. People that dismiss UK's recent success on the recruiting trail are dreaming.

Do y'all realize that UK is ranked ABOVE TEXAS AND TEXAS HAS MORE COMMITS.

This kind of debunks the whole "their class is ranked high because they have a high number of commits" argument.

--- End quote ---

Ok, you obviously didn't get my point

HeathWimp:
Dude, haven't you heard?  You aren't supposed to post anything that questions recruiting on here.  After all, signing day is 8 months down the road, we're being selective, kids can change their mind, and, of course, the big one - don't you have anything better to do with your time?

Pork Twain:
You guys getting upset about recruiting before the season has even started are pretty sad.

adave:
OP reminds me of Miami Heat fans who left the game early last night and gave interviews about losing... actually the OP is worse.

HG:
Kentucky is the only anomaly here.  Both Auburn and Tennessee regularly pull in top 20, and frequently top 10 classes regardless of coaching changes.  I'm not saying not to be concerned about our recruiting (though I'm not...I just think it's a slow period right now.)  But worrying about Auburn and Tennessee is fairly futile, given that this is just par for the course for both programs.

Lysol:
Woosah

Arkansas Fan:
We'll beat them on the field. And, they're all cheating. Think about it, who really wants to play football at Kentucky if they have offers to better football schools?

Hawgfan27:
I KNOW AND THERES ONLY 203 DAYS UNTIL NATIONAL SIGNING DAY >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

I'm Furious!

HG:

--- Quote from: Arkansas Fan on June 19, 2013, 05:19:48 pm ---We'll beat them on the field. And, they're all cheating. Think about it, who really wants to play football at Kentucky if they have offers to better football schools?

--- End quote ---

White supremacists?  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View