Poll

Who is

I AM
- 37 (64.9%)
I'M NOT
- 20 (35.1%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stan Heath should be terminated now to salvage this season.  (Read 2133 times)

swoopeshog

• Senior
  • Who's steering this ship?
Re: Stan Heath should be terminated now to salvage this season.
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2006, 08:03:39 am »

I bet Tubby Smith would get more out of this group.

RomanWaddell

« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2006, 08:31:46 am »

Fire the unloyal fans with the patience of a lemming.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Inigo Montoya

« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2006, 08:43:46 am »

You can analyze it, point fingers, pin the blame on certain areas where we need work, etc..  but there's just no hiding the truth:

Apathy

• Varsity
  • Rebels are precious.
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2006, 08:50:53 am »

Coming out of a time out with the last shot of regulation of a tied game and the play we run results in a 30 ft. bomb???? How bout driving to the basket and maybe getting a shot at an offensive rebound and putback or maybe draw a foul. That's actually what we are capable of doing, not shooting from Al Dillard range. And the way we handled the last 3.6 seconds of OT was pathetic. Really shows the quality of coaching we have on the sidelines. I remember when Tyus Edney (not sure of the spelling) went from sideline to sideline in 3.5 seconds to hit a game winner for UCLA years back and we can't even get the ball to half court in the same time. Absolutely pitiful.

Could not agree more tacoma.  Aside from all of the other 6th grade fundamental things this team hasn't been taught (i.e. block out the [CENSORED] shooter on a free throw), it is amazing that Heath has been here 4 years and we have apparently never attempted to design a play to get a shot of at the end of the game.  Edny for UCLA against Missouri is a great example. How about Valpo v. Ole Miss in the tournament.  That is the definition of coaching.  When you feel like someone is actually helping the players win games. Heath goes out of the way to lose. (calling a timeout w/ 5 seconds left when RB has the ball and man defense so we can let the defense get set, let everybody in Alabama know who the ball is coming in to, and so RB can get off a fade away three... ) WHAT THE HELL?

MCPeePants

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2006, 09:25:47 am »

think about how we would be doing if we had Al Jefferson. it's not his fault his highest recruit ever, decided to go pro

Give me a break. It was always more likely than not that Al Jefferson would wind up jumping straight to the NBA and we knew that the entire time we were recruiting him. Heath doesn't get a pass just because Jefferson went to the Celtics instead of the Razorbacks. 

MCPeePants

« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2006, 09:32:39 am »

Coming out of a time out with the last shot of regulation of a tied game and the play we run results in a 30 ft. bomb???? How bout driving to the basket and maybe getting a shot at an offensive rebound and putback or maybe draw a foul. That's actually what we are capable of doing, not shooting from Al Dillard range. And the way we handled the last 3.6 seconds of OT was pathetic. Really shows the quality of coaching we have on the sidelines. I remember when Tyus Edney (not sure of the spelling) went from sideline to sideline in 3.5 seconds to hit a game winner for UCLA years back and we can't even get the ball to half court in the same time. Absolutely pitiful.

I agree with you - we definitely should have been able to get a lot closer to the basket in 3.6 seconds. But, for the record, Edney had 4.8 seconds on that coast to coast play that won the game against Missouri in 1995.

hydrophonic

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • The Name on the Marquee
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2006, 09:45:13 am »

I don't support removing a coach mid-season.

What I have told friends and family is the standard "if they don't make the NCAA tourny, Heath should be fired."  Now, I'm not convinced that Heath should keep his job EVEN IF the Hogs get in the dance.

2-24 in SEC road games?  Did I do the math right?  Is that a win % of SEVEN?  I never was very good at figuring %, but even if I didn't do the math right 2-24 is unacceptable.

5 little pigs

« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2006, 09:47:37 am »

I'm with you HSV. I say, "Stan, don't go away mad, JUST GO AWAY!!!!!"
Heath won't go away mad....he doesn't get mad!!  He just looks completely uninterested and make the rest of us MAD!!!!  But I agree.......JUST GO AWAY!!!

HogHillbilly

• All-American Hogvillian
  • ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS NATIONAL CHAMPS - SOUNDS GOOD
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2006, 09:49:21 am »

Heath is in over his head. I agree this should be his last season................But, because of the Nolan mess, and because Nuttless didn't lose his job after the last two seasons he had..................Heath ain't going anywhere for a while..........
I would like to see Broyels, Nutt and Heath all clear out of here this summer, and we start from scratch.......................

firecampbell

« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2006, 09:51:52 am »

you can't fire him now with a winning record.  you have to play the season out and plus he is recruiting some pretty nice players for next year and we have a point guard waiting in the wings for next season.  it looks bad if you fire him now.  i agree though, better start winning some conference games because loosing is getting really old.  same result different excuse.

GOAT

« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2006, 10:40:27 am »

I, too, have never been one to want to pull the trigger on a coach in mid-season.  Maybe that's not the answer now, but I just don't see how you can dispute that Heath is not the right guy for the job.  I didn't expect much the first couple of years because he didn't have a lot of talent.  Now he has talent, yet we still lose.  It would be different if we were getting beat by better talent, but we seem to find a way to lose to lesser talent consistently.

An LSU fan who is a friend of mine summed it up pretty well when he said that somebody was going to give Heath a shot based on his run with Kent State, but an established (although down) program like Arkansas shouldn't have been the school to do it.  The facts are this: 

1. We have a 7 foot center that is an offensive liability that shouldn't be.  There's no reason he can't score 8 points off rebounds alone if someone could teach him to bring his defensive intensity to the offensive end. 

2. Brewer is a great player that has to create anything he gets because of the lack of a real offense.  If that's a motion offense I hope they use the term syrup to call that play because that's the motion we get out of it.

3. We still can't figure out how to attack a 2-3 zone defense which basically means we're half of an offense at best.

4. No in-game adjustments are made to pickup our offense or shore up a defensive issue.

5. Our substitution patterns are questionable, and that's being mild.

6. This is my major concern.  The players don't seem to be afraid to do something that's not smart in trying to make a "big play".  The foul on the three pointer last night is an excellent example.  Can you imagine what would have happened if we'd had Nolan, Huggins, Majerus, or any of the other coaches recently mentioned on this board on our sideline when that happened?  A player would have been mortified to make that mistake.  Now why would they?  It doesn't affect playing time.

My last point is this.  Why is it that when someone questions a coach with records like either Heath's or Nutt's folks are so quick to label that person as "not a true fan"?  I didn't realize not accepting mediocrity made you less of a fan.  Facts are facts and the numbers don't lie.  If you're fine with a team quitting on their coach at the end of the year and the lack of conference success, specifically on the road, maybe you need to evaluate your own fan status.  I want my Hogs to play hard under a coach that puts them in the best position to win.  If you can honestly tell me that either Heath or Nutt has done that the last three years I'd like to see your reasoning, because I just don't see it.

GOAT

firecampbell

« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2006, 10:53:31 am »

You can't bring nutt into the discussion, he took a class of players that weren't his to two solid bowl games with back to back loosing season...i don't want to touch that discussion during the middle of recruiting season...we almost lost a heck of a qb with that topic.  besides the writing is obviously on the wall.  majerus great coach yeah, but what happened the last time he took a position coaching...lasted a day. 

Theolesnort

• Global Moderator
  • All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogvilles own thread killa
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2006, 11:10:50 am »

Most of you are full of crap. We lose.....you bitch. We win against Vandy and you act like this team is great. We lose.....you bitch. Fire Heath now and pick which side of the fence you are on. Many of you are pathetic.
I like your candor, and karma. No pandering to the masses with you. ;D  Seriously you are right. Heath is in over his head. He is a nice guy and as Leo D use to say nice guys finish last. Stan is so nice that even the officials mistreat him with impunity. This niceness even rubs off on the team and that is a no no. This talent under say a Eddie Sutton would have been broken down and put back together by now as a rough tuff in your face kick butt kind of team.

rjmass

« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2006, 11:10:56 am »

We have a point guard on the bench who plays about 10 minutes a game and who is basketball savy.  You can't tell me our odds would not have been better with McCurdy out there last night down the stretch.  Bama, may have gotten the three off, but it would have been contested SMARTLY, and no foul on the play.

Radio said this morning Heath told players in time out DO NOT FOUL, so what do we do, we foul, even the players are not listening to him.

Frustrated, I don't believe you play a senior over a freshman just because he is a senior.  Season is just about lost, if it continues on it will be lost, MAKE A CHANGE HEATH - Put McCurdy in, all he did was beat the press when he was in last night and hit a three, thats all.

I noticed too the Ferguson drove the lane, weaving between 3 Bama defenders and lost the ball instead of kicking it to McCurdy who was wide open for a 15 footer.  Hey if they don't want to play with the freshman and insist on losing bench them and put guys out there that want to play TEAM BALL.

frustrating, just frustrating.

pfrg999

• Dear, Big Bret... It's not us..its you!
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2006, 11:16:27 am »

2-24 in conference play on the road is inexcusable.  Dontell Jefferson made several bonehead plays down the stretch in regular play yet Stan allows him to start the OT.  Heath does not know how to prepare a basketball team to play on the road.  It's a damn shame that everytime Arkansas takes the court we are down by 1 before the tipoff because the worse coach in the SEC is Stan Heath.

There is to much potential on this team to allow a div II coach to ruin another basketball season, it's freaking ridiculous that Arkansas has hired a coach that doesn't know how to attack a simple zone defense. Here we are in Stan's fourth season and this d2 coach only has 2 conference road wins.  Simply pathetic, how much longer do the Razorback have to suffer?

Forget about a winning season in conference play D2 Stan can't win on the road.  As a razorback fan I feel so bad for the players and fans to  watch this imposter coach our basketball team.
God 2-24  that is HORRIBLE!!!

pfrg999

• Dear, Big Bret... It's not us..its you!
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2006, 11:18:16 am »

Most of you are full of crap. We lose.....you bitch. We win against Vandy and you act like this team is great. We lose.....you bitch. Fire Heath now and pick which side of the fence you are on. Many of you are pathetic.

That's Mr. Pathetic to you Bucko  ;D

hogoh

• Varsity
  • You are not your team's SEC win-loss record.
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2006, 11:19:46 am »

Dear Coach Nutt:

Is your 2-year pass card transferable?

Very truly yours,

S. Heath
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas