• 10,269,149 Posts
• 407,533 Topics
• 23,309 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: NCAA or BUST????  (Read 2121 times)

mbgrulz

NCAA or BUST????
« on: December 13, 2005, 02:11:26 pm »

what do you guys think out there: does not making the NCAA mean heads will roll (STAN GONE) or does he get another year? i personally like stan, but i have been disappointed in our play so far. just want to know what you guys think.

austinhogfan

Re: NCAA or BUST????
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 02:13:29 pm »

NCAA or bust!!!!! No brainer..cant destruct like last year, has to do with coaching!!!  He deserves just this one final year if no NCAA!!!

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

RBLtoHOG

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 02:13:40 pm »

If he doesnt make it I think that hes gone. That sux considering the amout of time Nutt was given compared to him.

astarXzone

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 02:14:17 pm »

We look like the same team as last year with a few more gray hairs.  I think Stan will be gone because there is no way this team makes it to the ncaa tourney

HighOnHogs

• Hogvillian
  • I'm always right, mark it down!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 02:14:36 pm »

NCAA or Bust for sure.  It doesn't take this long to but a top 64 team together. 

SirLoin

• Band Nerd
  • I dont even know who # 8 is.
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 02:15:23 pm »

I dont think so.  2 Words.
Sonny Weems

HawgLover08

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 02:16:04 pm »

Definitely Big Dance or BUST. Stan has had plenty of time.

Ark Blitz

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 02:16:44 pm »

If Stan gets fired then Nutt should pack his bags also.  Nutt has had 8 yrs!

Flatline

• All-American Hogvillian
  • FEAR THE HOG!!!!
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 02:16:59 pm »

They can not fire Heath after giving Nutt a pass.  They do this and Nolan law suit will be relieved.  Due to the fact that it would so favoritism and racism on the part of the University.

brooks74

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 02:17:15 pm »

We look like the same team as last year with a few more gray hairs. I think Stan will be gone because there is no way this team makes it to the ncaa tourney

HAve you seen the rest of the SEC.  From the little bit I have seen it looks like everyone was overrated outside of Florida.  I think we will do well in the SEC and make the NCAA.  I think we're going to see improvement as they get more comfortable in the offense that Hipsher has them running

RBLtoHOG

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 02:18:24 pm »

Is Nolan Richardson looking for a job? We should go after him. Ive heard hes takin a team to the big dance before! ;)

hogattack21

• Bench Warmer
  • Your site for Razorback news.
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 02:19:21 pm »

I have been dissapointed in their play so far, however, they actually know how to win close games unlike last year. Those close wins over some sub par and young athletes however they are extremely well coached. I think this team will immprove and make the NCAA. Probably as a 6-7 seed, but if they play to there potential they could be a 3-4 seed.

Hognob

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 02:21:25 pm »

NCAA or bust definately.  What I am hoping for is to win the west.  It looks very weak this year and if we don't win it I will be disappointed.

HogHillbilly

• ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS NATIONAL CHAMPS - SOUNDS GOOD
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2005, 02:24:33 pm »

Stan has a free pass for several years because of the Nolan mess. The perfect argument for him is..............You did'nt fire Nutt after his mess with Nebraska, LSU and back to back losing seasons..............Why do I have to go ?

alwaysondbigscreen

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • arkansas stig
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2005, 02:27:57 pm »

for what its worth i'll give him another year, 1st look at what he started with and 2nd its gotta be harder to get to the big dance than qualify for a bowl game. add that to fact that he's got sonny coming in along with a couple of the top 100 h.s. kids i'll cut him some slack

Coachjy

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2005, 02:29:22 pm »

I agree! If Broyles was to fire Heath after this year, I would almost tend to agree with some of Nolan's statements regarding racism at the UofA. Can't believe I'm saying that but it's true. There's no way they can fire Heath after giving Bro. Nutt a free ride these last few years. At least Heath can recruit!

hogfankb

• Senior
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2005, 02:29:23 pm »

Stan has a free pass for several years because of the Nolan mess. The perfect argument for him is..............You did'nt fire Nutt after his mess with Nebraska, LSU and back to back losing seasons..............Why do I have to go ?

Even stan has said NCAA or bust this year. While I don't think that should be true because his teams have gotten consistantly gotten better. All of this talk about his coaching probably wouldn't even be heard of if Ervin/McBride could be on the floor this year. We will make the tourny so it doesn't matter. Good to see he is out recruiting and trying to get better as a team/coach instead of just relying on outside influences. Like Nolan did after his NC runs.

TuckFexas

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Plaaaaay Ball!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2005, 02:30:53 pm »

It's got to be NCAA or bust. With good recruits we have here he has no excuse to not take a this team dancing. This is the year that will prove whether he is worth a flip as a coach or not. Throw the dang ball inside and let the big boys play. If they want to double team, kick it out to Brewer, Modica, or Ferguson and drop 3's on them. It appears that we can't shoot, but I know we can. The stats on our 3pt shots are not that bad. The bread and butter is still defense/transition scoring. The only way we don't make it to the dance this year is Heath. Prove you can do it Stan!

Tomhog™

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2005, 02:33:50 pm »

Heath stays regardless.  UA has proven that post-season play is not a requirement to keep your job...

PAHog

• Senior
  • It's my fault Nutt wasn't fired sooner
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2005, 02:34:33 pm »

As long as there's improvement, he stays in my book.  Poor coaching decisions paired w/ a couple of losing seasons, then I'll start clamoring for a new coach.

hogattack21

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2005, 02:39:52 pm »

I have been dissapointed in their play so far, however, they actually know how to win close games unlike last year. Those close wins over some sub par and young athletes however they are extremely well coached. I think this team will immprove and make the NCAA. Probably as a 6-7 seed, but if they play to there potential they could be a 3-4 seed.

No offense, but what team have you been watching? Well coached? I like Stan as much as the next person, but I see some serious fundamental flaws in this team. I'm not sure if these are old habits or what but they need to be corrected. I think Stan doesn't a decent job with them but I think he has room for improvement. As far as the NCAA tournament, I think more of it will depend on how we finish the non-conference schedule than anything. You lose at home to Missouri St-forget about it. Personally, I think we need to win out to build some momentum. If we have some momentum I think we can scratch out 9 wins in the conference.

hogattack21

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2005, 02:41:14 pm »

By well coached I meant Kansas with Bill Self, and Mizzou with Quin Snyder. sorry about the misunderstanding

Flatfoot

• Old School Hog!
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2005, 02:54:44 pm »

Bust, but he won't be fired because of Nutt's eight years. 

mbgrulz

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2005, 03:06:52 pm »

As long as there's improvement, he stays in my book. Poor coaching decisions paired w/ a couple of losing seasons, then I'll start clamoring for a new coach.
we cannot accept "a couple of losing seasons" as criteria for a new coach. we are a proud university and we cant accept anything but 1st class athletes, students, and coaches. i like what heath is doing as a recruiter. McBride and Ervin would really help this team. we are improving, but i am ready to see a complete game out of us. guess we'll learn more thurs. night.

ballhog™

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2005, 03:11:22 pm »

He should be gone with no NCAA tourney.  Half a decade is long enough to get your team in the big dance at least once.

claycohog

• Hogvillian
  • They use to call me Rick...
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2005, 03:17:48 pm »

If Nutt stays.  Heath stays.

proffitthog

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2005, 03:18:44 pm »

He's gotta make the ncaa
I think its going to be tough, those last two wins have got me concerned.

tbhogfan

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2005, 03:19:03 pm »

We are quickly approaching the "no excuse zone" with the basketball team.    This team has talent and experience.   

Anything less than an NCAA Tourney invite this year is a failure.   

ballhog™

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2005, 03:22:25 pm »

We have stunk the last two year in football, but Nutt still did more his 1st 4 years than Heath has.  I want Heath to succeed.  I just think he needs to do it in a hurry.

hogfankb

• Senior
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2005, 03:23:08 pm »

We have stunk the last two year in football, but Nutt still did more his 1st 4 years than Heath has. I want Heath to succeed. I just think he needs to do it in a hurry.

Nutt came in with talent on board already. Heath came in with NOTHING

Hoghead

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2005, 03:23:43 pm »

If he doesnt make it I think that hes gone. That sux considering the amout of time Nutt was given compared to him.

Well Nolan told us that Nutt and the football staff got "Big Breaks" on losing seasons. As far as Stan Heath goes it's NCAA or Bust. He's a nice guy at the wrong school. I don't think he had an Idea of what he was coming to at Arkansas. He basicly was a sacraficial Lamb for the program. If he won JFB looked like a genuis! Nolan made JFB look real good until the end. But if Stan Lost, we could blame some of it back on Nolan. We could be held in Limbo like now hoping Stan pulls us out of the pits of the SEC. Unfortunatly this team is no better than they were last year and Stan is history!!!!

ballhog™

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2005, 03:33:06 pm »

True, but I think 5 years is enough to get to the tourney.

Call Mr. Sow

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2005, 04:32:12 pm »

He stays no matter what.  I'm not convinced the folks on the hill even know that firing is an option.

I'll never forgive Heath for letting his team quit last season, but if we're going to keep Nutt, then we have to keep Heath. 

Razorback88

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2005, 06:03:18 pm »

So I guess your saying he has another year left. ;D

P.S.  This is Stan's fourth year.

PulledPork

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2005, 06:12:42 pm »

he stays, I don't think Frankie wants to open that can o' worms.  Don't you know that Nolan is lurking in the bushes just hoping for something like that..... 8)

tophawg19

• Gold Hogvillian
  • She thinks my hawgs are sexy
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2005, 06:16:48 pm »

stan could lose 20 games this year and still keep his job . there is no way in hell we can afford to stir up that racial issue again and nolan is perched on his limb waiting to pounce with all the other buzzards . hell jesse jackson would even come to get in that mess . we kept HDN we gotta keep stan no matter what . stan has at least recruited some talented kids .can you say al sharpton ? ark. would be his second home till the program was through being dragged through the mud . keeping nutt is far more reaching than just killing the football program .
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 06:18:44 pm by tophawg19 »

PIGG

• Varsity
  • My name? It's Keith Stone.
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2005, 06:19:37 pm »

Considering the expectations, yes, Stan SHOULD get fired if there's no NCAA, but I don't think it happens since Nutt was kept.  Even Stan says we should make the NCAAT so...

I think we can make it.  Here's what I'm looking for: improvement from last season.  That doesn't just mean more wins, but ability to finish out games (I haven't seen this yet), ability to avoid scoring droughts (think we've gotten better here), and finishing strong (which of course, won't know that until the end).  What really killed me inside last season was our consecutive losses.  We need to go strong and keep strong through the conference play.  I think we'll finish 10-6 in conference and get about a 4-5 seed, IF the above criteria is met.

Broken Trigger

« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2005, 06:20:03 pm »

I think Stan has another year regardless.  Next year Gary Ervin will be eligible which will be the first true point guard we have.  As mentioned above, Weems will be here and Stan is still recruiting like a demon.   I personally think we should make it to the 20 win mark this season, and should gain an NCAA tourney berth.  Plus, i just think 5 years should be the minimum a coach should be given, unless they are doing a horrible job such as 2 or 3 consecutive losing seasons.  I definitely hope Stan gets it done, because i feel like he represents Arkansas very well. 

humhog

« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2005, 06:43:55 pm »

We have stunk the last two year in football, but Nutt still did more his 1st 4 years than Heath has. I want Heath to succeed. I just think he needs to do it in a hurry.

Nutt came in with talent on board already. Heath came in with NOTHING

While I totally agree with you that Heath came into a bad situation, basically no D1 players, it doesn't take as long to get a basketball team fixed as it does in  Football.  Stan only had to sign 4 players a year, not like the 25 that football does.  He MUST make the NCAA's and I think he will.  If he doesn't, whoever they hire next will have a hell of a loaded team and I hope that doesn't happen

toshortrock

• Hogville.net Rocks!
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2005, 06:50:31 pm »

i'm not reading nothing,,let me say this,,if houston nutt,can lose every year without geting fired,,and they done canned ol nolan,,u cannot fire Health,,thats the bottom line

humhog

« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2005, 06:54:53 pm »

Well Nolan told us that Nutt and the football staff got "Big Breaks" on losing seasons.

Really???   Is that what Nolan said?  Humm....  funny, when he was fired we had 0 losing seasons under Nutt........   Guess Nolan was not only a  coach but a fortune teller (like so many on this board)

ballhog™

« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2005, 07:09:33 pm »

yep just 4 years.  I still think they need to make it this year.

Hoghead

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2005, 12:08:31 am »

I agree, Basketball is a lot easier to fix than Football. 5 years is plenty enough time to fix a Basketball program that's not on any type of Probation. Stan should just cut these kids lose! Let them play with a wreckless abandon! A couple of set plays is nice. BUt press and use your bench for the whole 94 ft. Try to win shooting layups! Because they are not a good floor shooting team. But He wants to Big 10 this team into the NCAAT and that my friends won't happen. He needs a Offensive Corridinator too! 

hogman64

• GO HOGS
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2005, 12:09:23 am »

I thought he got one.

Hoghead

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2005, 12:14:38 am »

Well Nolan told us that Nutt and the football staff got "Big Breaks" on losing seasons.

Really??? Is that what Nolan said? Humm.... funny, when he was fired we had 0 losing seasons under Nutt........ Guess Nolan was not only a coach but a fortune teller (like so many on this board)

Nolan must've been right. Nutt was a fortune teller when he said he needed 2 years to fix the program. Arkansas is the only D1 job in America where you can walk in and tell your boss, "We're gonna suck the next 2 years! So give me a raise so I can fix this mess in 2 years. If not Nebraska and LSU are looking at me. How bout it Hoss? JFB would've tried to pistol whip Nolan if he had said that!

chiefsfan

• Gold Hogvillian
  • ASU fan here for laughs and the college baseball.
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2005, 12:21:18 am »

Is Nolan Richardson looking for a job? We should go after him. Ive heard hes takin a team to the big dance before! ;)

and steven hill will transfer to Arkansas State ala Jason jennings...   And Preston Cranford and Sammy Munsey will both quit the team.   This is not a Race comment in any way, it is just a statement of pure unadulturated fact.

Id hire Dickey Nutt before Id rehire Nolan, and that is saying a whole lot

chiefsfan

• Gold Hogvillian
  • ASU fan here for laughs and the college baseball.
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2005, 12:26:47 am »

If they want to double team, kick it out to Brewer, Modica, or Ferguson

Ferguson????  What are you smoking, have you seen him shoot in the final 5 minutes of any game.  He cant.   He also can't handle the ball or shoot free throws.   But hey he is still the "best defender we have"  outside of maybe Brewer Hill and Modica...

hogman64

• GO HOGS
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2005, 12:29:45 am »

Is Ferguson ever going to graduate.........pleaseeeeee

Hoghead

« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2005, 12:47:39 am »

Is Ferguson ever going to graduate.........pleaseeeeee

Fergueson can quit and free us of this pain. He's never been D1 material from the start.

TuckFexas

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Plaaaaay Ball!!!!!
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2005, 08:00:13 am »

If they want to double team, kick it out to Brewer, Modica, or Ferguson

Ferguson???? What are you smoking, have you seen him shoot in the final 5 minutes of any game. He cant. He also can't handle the ball or shoot free throws. But hey he is still the "best defender we have" outside of maybe Brewer Hill and Modica...

I've seen him hit 3's plenty of times. Not smoking anything. Quote from his bio on hogwired: "His first three-pointer this year will give him 120 and tie for 10th on the school’s career chart."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas