• 10,398,817 Posts
• 411,028 Topics
• 23,491 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What cold weather hunting clothing is best?  (Read 22998 times)

davglo35

What cold weather hunting clothing is best?
« on: September 14, 2009, 12:33:40 am »

I am going to purchase a cold weather bowhunting outfit. I am tired of bulky bibs and heavy coats. I know wool is great but my hunting buddy said when he wore his wool he was winded by deer even though he went to great lengths to stay scent free. What about Artic shield and some of the other high tech clothing? I plan on spending around $200-$250. I need something that is extremely quiet, warm and stops the wind when the mercury dips to about 20 degrees.

kodiakisland

Re: What cold weather hunting clothing is best?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 03:34:37 am »

All depends on what type of hunting you are doing.  20 degrees can be damn cold in a blind or stand but not too bad if you're active. 

First rule is whatever you get, get synthetic.  Cotton is for jeans and t-shirts, not cold weather gear.  Wool is fine if you like it, but I find it too heavy for my purposes.  Dress in layers of non bulky clothing that is designed to be worn in layers.  Polypropylene, fleece, microtex, etc.

I like the clothing from companies like Sitka Gear, Mountain Hardware, North Face, Mammut, Sporthill, REI.  They all have great clothes for sub zero temps that are not bulky but they are very expensive.  I use several different weights of polypro underwear and fleece under my pants and jacket depending on the weather.  Several layers of thin fleece are far warmer than one thick layer.  Add a fleece balaclava and well insulated boots and gloves.  I find my feet get cold first and if I keep them warm my whole body stays warm.  Make sure the outer layers are wind resistant.

The worst cold weather clothing I ever bought was a set of Browning hydrofleece.  It is heavier than most, too bulky, and cold.  I wasted a lot of money on that stuff.  Don't let the price alone be your guide.  Sometimes the cheaper fleece is just as good as the really expensive stuff.  Just remember though, you may pay alot but you will get many years use out of it and probably spend more time hunting and less time in camp warming up.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

pick_DA_EAGLES

• Senior
  • WARNING, STARING MAY GET YOUR EYES POKED OUT!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 09:06:38 am »

i agree with kodiak, i like the layer system myself, ther are several brands he already listed, under armor cold gear is pretty good as well.

do not skimp on your boots and head gear if they get cold it doesnt really matter bout the rest of the body

HuntinHog

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 12:00:40 pm »

When I came to Arkansas for college back in the 90's and first got into duck hunting I went down to Wal-Mart and stocked up on camo (this was back when Wal-Mart had an outdoor section that carried all of the regular camo patterns).  I don't think I spent more than 50-75 bucks for everything.

Last year in a moment of weakness I filled a cart up at Mack's with the latest and greatest in camo but right before I checked out I thought better of it.  The Wally World gear works just fine. 

Moral of the story: don't go blow 250 bucks on the latest camo.  Don't get me wrong, some of it's worth the money but you can shop around and do just fine on the cheap, especially if you're layering.

It's really a shame Wal-Mart has quit carrying legit camo patterns, it doesn't make any sense at all...

IronHog

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 12:34:10 pm »

It rarely gets really cold in Arkansas until well after gun season.

I tend to wear alot of GAP and Old Navy fleece on cool mornings.  Camo is irrelevant.

Columbia makes great gear for the money.

pick_DA_EAGLES

• Senior
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 01:09:07 pm »

wearing layers of thin clothing under just your regular camo pants and shirt works for me. unless its raining then thats a different story.

deshahawg

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 03:15:38 pm »

Sounds like I'll echo what everyone else says. Just wear a lot of layers and you'll be fine.

Porkys Revenge

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 05:21:24 pm »

I am going to purchase a cold weather bowhunting outfit. I am tired of bulky bibs and heavy coats. I know wool is great but my hunting buddy said when he wore his wool he was winded by deer even though he went to great lengths to stay scent free. What about Artic shield and some of the other high tech clothing? I plan on spending around $200-$250. I need something that is extremely quiet, warm and stops the wind when the mercury dips to about 20 degrees.
Under Armour cold gear, a long sleeve fleece pullover and a Realtree Roadtrips fleece bowhunting jacket is all I wear when its cold - 15 to 30 degrees. I bowhunt in Kansas and the temps are usually in this range during the morning.  If it is not below 30, DO NOT wear the Under Armour or you will sweat your A off and steam like a pot of boiling water in the stand.

davglo35

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 12:09:30 am »

Thanks for the information guys. I have a shop full of all kinds of camo clothing. I have polypropelene, synthetics, acrylic, cotton, fleece ect...I bowhunt till the horns fall off. I work in a GP paper mill (shift work) and I try and utilize my limited time off by hunting all day.  I am always toting a climbing stand and walking into hard to reach areas. I have a set of bibs that are super warm and jacket to match. The problem with them is they are a pain to carry and I look like the Michelin man when I am fully dressed. I just thought maybe there was something that was less bulky but just as effective.

SultanofSwine

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
  • WoooPigSoooie!!!
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 11:01:51 am »

I agree with what everyone else has said, layering is the only way to go.

When the temps start dropping pretty good I wear a pair of fleece lined blue jeans under my chamois camo pants. That keeps me good down to about 30 degrees. Below 30 I add a heavy weight polypro layer. On top I layer with polypro, wool and fleece. You can always take a layer off if you get warm.

Kodiak

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 10:38:07 pm »

pick_DA_EAGLES

• Senior
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 10:45:39 pm »

Didnt say anything :)
sorry was short for kodiakisland

flynhog

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 08:26:57 am »

If you deer hunt from a stand get a pair of insulated coveralls and sit there warm all day.  They have any camo pattern you want.  You can wear shorts under them if you want.

It makes it real easy to watch the morning go by if you are warm. 

DeltaBoy

• Gold Hogvillian
  • I'm Un-Reconstructed. Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 01:36:34 pm »

I stand hunted for years with Wall Bizzard proof cover alls, wool socks and a wool navy watch cap.    I use fleece with plain old long johns and a good set of insulated boots now days.  Academy is a good place to stock up.

bkjacks

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 02:15:43 pm »

Heater

FATBACKHAWG

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 01:52:26 pm »

A belly full of biscuits and gravy....something just warm enough so I can fall a sleep on my stand

Vilind

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2018, 08:30:45 am »

I hunted South Dakota, Nebraska, and Kansas from late October to December, and things don't change as much as the layers change. Having said that, the snow will change the situation, and then I will drop the leggings.

I don't catch a cold too easily, so take it for what it costs. Until now, I have not bought inexpensive hunting clothes, but one day I will have good pants. What I usually wear when the temperature is between 0 and 40 is lower. If it's windy or just very cold, I usually add another base layer or two.

upper
Soft jacket jacket (similar to Kuiu guide)
Dispersed "soft shell" vest (again, similar to the guide Kuiu)
Under the reservation of cold equipment next to the skin
Fleece base layer camouflage
Wool hunting gloves
https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-hunting-gloves/

below
Under an armor-piercing projectile or other base layers (for so long I donít know brands or make-up)
Smartwool or FirstLite Wool Socks
Plain Old Pocket Cotton Pants
Uninsulated Low Tibet or Danner Pronghorn 400s

Definitely nothing unusual here in any way, but I hunted in some unpleasant weather with this installation. Again, Iíll just add another base layer if itís really cold or Iíll sit for a while. I bought my Russell stuff on an extreme sale, and most of my other stuff is from college baseball, so I donít have much money associated with guns. If I changed things, it would first be the base layers of Merino, then perhaps some Kuyu impact pants or something like that.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 01:41:12 am by Vilind »

hawgon

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2018, 07:42:05 am »

Wool and hunt the wind.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas