• 10,157,212 Posts
• 405,201 Topics
• 23,132 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lame Duck Coaches  (Read 802 times)

Formula Hog

• Bench Warmer
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Lame Duck Coaches
« on: March 17, 2019, 05:31:24 am »

If they don't replace MA, and just keep him around to be there for the naming of the court, it's a bad deal all the way around.

Lame duck situation coaches never work out. And if there is more than one BOT member wanting to make a change, then all it does is cause problems. You have to pull on the rope in the same direction. And by all reports and rumors, this is an ongoing issue.

Recruiting is gonna take a hit no matter what happens. Schools and coaches will use it against us, and it will work. The only way it can be fixed or solved quickly is with a splash of a hire. Players end up not playing 100% for the coach. They just think they will coast because they know he's gone. The only way it's different is if it's a retirement issue.

I don't think MA should be retained. He's had enough time. He's an awful tournament coach, and a good, not great season coach. I thought he could be what the program needed, but it's really not been. It's turned out to be a lot of living in the past, and a failed attempt at bringing back an era that is just that - in the past. Most people under 30-35 don't even remember the glory days.

One thing is for sure. If they decide to make a change, you BETTER have a big time coach lined up. And I'm not talking about some flash in the pan, flavor of the week. We've seen that movie a couple times before.

If they don't make a change, staff changes have to be made. And that starts with Melvin Watkins. He's useless. 

I know it's not an easy decision, HY has to be strong and make a decision, then live with it. That's why he was hired. The good thing is that he's new and doesn't have a lot of ties established in the program.

Spend the money, and commit to winning. The fans deserve it.

leroyhawg

• Varsity
Re: Lame Duck Coaches
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 06:07:50 am »

If they don't replace MA, and just keep him around to be there for the naming of the court, it's a bad deal all the way around.

Lame duck situation coaches never work out. And if there is more than one BOT member wanting to make a change, then all it does is cause problems. You have to pull on the rope in the same direction. And by all reports and rumors, this is an ongoing issue.

Recruiting is gonna take a hit no matter what happens. Schools and coaches will use it against us, and it will work. The only way it can be fixed or solved quickly is with a splash of a hire. Players end up not playing 100% for the coach. They just think they will coast because they know he's gone. The only way it's different is if it's a retirement issue.

I don't think MA should be retained. He's had enough time. He's an awful tournament coach, and a good, not great season coach. I thought he could be what the program needed, but it's really not been. It's turned out to be a lot of living in the past, and a failed attempt at bringing back an era that is just that - in the past. Most people under 30-35 don't even remember the glory days.

One thing is for sure. If they decide to make a change, you BETTER have a big time coach lined up. And I'm not talking about some flash in the pan, flavor of the week. We've seen that movie a couple times before.

If they don't make a change, staff changes have to be made. And that starts with Melvin Watkins. He's useless. 

I know it's not an easy decision, HY has to be strong and make a decision, then live with it. That's why he was hired. The good thing is that he's new and doesn't have a lot of ties established in the program.

Spend the money, and commit to winning. The fans deserve it.

If the BOT wants a New Coach, we will have a new Coach.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

ShadowHawg

• All-American Hogvillian
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 07:33:43 am »

If the BOT wants a New Coach, we will have a new Coach.

Is this the same BOT that gave us Morris?

Not impressed.

Formula Hog

• Bench Warmer
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 07:45:49 am »

Well said Shadow.

roothawg

• Varsity
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 08:00:06 am »

Holy crap Morris hasn't gotten his first recruiting class on the field and there are already people wining and crying about the job he is doing. I guarantee there were people b1tching about Nolan his first year trying to play his style with what he had to work with and look how that worked out. Many NCAA bids, final fours 2 national title games and a Title.  . Morris is in  a similar position. Give the man 3 yrs starting this yr and if he isn't trending the right way then b1tch all you want. Until then you have no clue what he will or will not do.

HogBreath

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 08:03:27 am »

Is this the same BOT that gave us the fastest 40?

Not impressed.

Fify

ShadowHawg

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 08:07:11 am »

Holy crap Morris hasn't gotten his first recruiting class on the field and there are already people wining and crying about the job he is doing. I guarantee there were people b1tching about Nolan his first year trying to play his style with what he had to work with and look how that worked out. Many NCAA bids, final fours 2 national title games and a Title.  . Morris is in  a similar position. Give the man 3 yrs starting this yr and if he isn't trending the right way then b1tch all you want. Until then you have no clue what he will or will not do.

Morris was 7-5  his last season before hired You can't hire guys like that in basketball and expect good results.

Your diatribe is assuming a lot. I couldn't care less about football so I am not someone who thinks a coach in his second season is hopeless.

ShadowHawg

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 08:08:51 am »

Fify

Pretty sure they weren't around 8 years ago so you didn't fix anything. You just showed your arse and ignorance.

Mr. Porkleone

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 08:08:54 am »

Ever sign there. If heís evaluated for last 8 years. Heís gone if the AD is doing his job. 

Would you still be employed if you didnít meet your goals but 3 out of 8 years??

Deerhunter

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 08:16:47 am »

And if we go 7-5 in years 3-5 people will be happy making bowl games and feel we have arrived.  Just like b ball our expectations have gone to expect very little and we are suppose to be happy with it.  Iím not

hobhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 08:24:00 am »

Not impressed.

Donít let your personal bitterness ruin the coaching search.

Morris will get his 3-4 years to get it done. Just like the new basketball coach.

Not 8.

roothawg

• Varsity
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 08:24:48 am »

I agree on the basketball needing someone who can get this program BACK to it's place. They should be top 20 to top 10 almost every yr. NCAA tourney most yrs, sweet 16's, final 4's, etc.

HogBreath

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 08:25:15 am »

Pretty sure they weren't around 8 years ago so you didn't fix anything. You just showed your arse and ignorance.
No, wrong again little Shadow, what was shown is how you like to talk out of both sides of your mouth, all while lacking the good sense to realize your ongoing delusion.

Yuck it up Shadow, enjoy your precious fast forty. lol

roothawg

• Varsity
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2019, 08:27:32 am »

And if we go 7-5 in years 3-5 people will be happy making bowl games and feel we have arrived.  Just like b ball our expectations have gone to expect very little and we are suppose to be happy with it.  Iím not
I won't be either, 7-5 will be good for this yr or next but I expect to get to 8,9,10 wins shortly after that.

Hogmatic

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2019, 08:28:14 am »

I agree on the basketball needing someone who can get this program BACK to it's place. They should be top 20 to top 10 almost every yr. NCAA tourney most yrs, sweet 16's, final 4's, etc.

Yes indeed.  MA knew what we expected but took the job and never made any of your points happen.  Most people would recognize the shortfall and make changes.  MA chose to be stubborn and keep doing what he wanted.  Why?  Did he think he was untouchable since he was Nolan's protege?

roothawg

• Varsity
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2019, 08:31:09 am »

Yes indeed.  MA knew what we expected but took the job and never made any of your points happen.  Most people would recognize the shortfall and make changes.  MA chose to be stubborn and keep doing what he wanted.  Why?  Did he think he was untouchable since he was Nolan's protege?
No he knew what was expected he just can't get it done.

PetrinoFan

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2019, 08:31:33 am »

If Mike is replaced we will need a home run hire that will make a huge impact, someone that is proven and excellent in recruiting.  Penny Hardaway would have been an excellent hire but he is at Memphis now.

Hogmatic

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2019, 08:34:36 am »

If Mike is replaced we will need a home run hire that will make a huge impact, someone that is proven and excellent in recruiting.  Penny Hardaway would have been an excellent hire but he is at Memphis now.

We don't have to have a home run hire.  It would be nice but not necessary.  We need a coach that is proven at most of his stops and currently at a good level. 

Hogmatic

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2019, 08:35:17 am »

Don't drink on a Sunday morning please

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • RIP LILY, WE MISS YOU DEARLY
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2019, 08:37:59 am »

Not impressed.

You give a guy a lifetime contract who is the definition of average, but will not give a guy a chance just after one year. And he is cleaning a real dumpster fire not a made up one

SONofHAM

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2019, 08:46:27 am »

https://catalog.uark.edu/generalinfo/boardoftrustees/

Pretty sure several of these were on the Board 8 years ago.

dsf

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2019, 08:59:47 am »

Amazing some think an NBA player can be a solid college basketball coach!  Hardaway, or any other former pro, simply do not have the training and background to practice properly while teaching the college game.  It is not youth league basketball.  It is very sophisticated x's and o's with quality practices devoted to drilling for every situation.  If he gets players, maybe he can win big.  Maybe not.  I would choose to say, not.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2019, 09:02:50 am »

Everybody that has a job working for someone else is a lamb duck. The only guestion is are they allowed to still swim in the pond or forced to fly away.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2019, 09:05:00 am »

There are only a couple of jobs in college Penny would have taken. Arkansas wasnít one of those. He wasnít going to be considered by the traditional powers. He got his Dream job. Good for him.

Deerhunter

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2019, 09:21:34 am »

I won't be either, 7-5 will be good for this yr or next but I expect to get to 8,9,10 wins shortly after that.

100% agree with this.

nwahogfan1

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2019, 09:28:15 am »

Not impressed.

No one is impressed with a 2-10 season and we should have concerns but FB takes longer than BB to turn around and particularly when going from a Power based offense to a Speed based.  But if you are not impressed with our recruiting and the hiring of coaches covering our Biggest recruiting Zones then your not wanting to be impressed.

But Mike has has 8 years.  Time to move.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas