• 10,163,668 Posts
• 405,335 Topics
• 23,135 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Next Year, 2019-20  (Read 1604 times)

redleg

• Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
Next Year, 2019-20
« on: March 13, 2019, 01:55:50 pm »

So, with this season almost over (I am expecting the Hogs to play no more than two games in the SEC Tourney, and I doubt they make it to post-season unless it is a NIT bid), what will next year's roster look like? Who will be leaving early? Who might transfer? Who might quit? And who will the Hogs be adding, other than Justice Hill?

I think it is a foregone conclusion that Gafford will be leaving early, so scratch him off.
Will Chaney transfer?
What about Henderson?
Will Ali ever see the floor for Arkansas?
Who will be playing in the paint with Gafford gone? Unless Anderson signs a big man, I do not see the Hogs having an intimidating presence in the middle. Rebounding and shot blocking percentages going down?

pigzwillrise

• All-American Hogvillian
  • WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
Re: Next Year, 2019-20
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 09:01:49 pm »

I think Ali likely goes elsewhere. I think Henderson is a maybe. I hope Chaney stays but I’m afraid it’s iffy.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

Smithian

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 09:21:23 pm »

If this offseason sees more than one, maybe two, transfers and I'm off the boat.

Keep our current guys, land a couple of the top recruits they're targeting, ans I'm all in on next season being a year where they should make the tournament without selection day heartburn.

HogBreath

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 09:23:50 pm »

We're gonna be really good next year.. Everyone knows year nine is always the big year for any coach.

If not next year, year 10 for sure.

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Life as a Politics Mod....
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 09:47:49 pm »

It'll be a sink or swim season for Anderson at Arkansas.

Three or four things could be warning signs.  If Chaney transfers, if Joe starts making noise about checking into his draft prospects, that sort of thing.      That said, this is a tournament ready team next year, and anything less probably leads to an encouraged retirement for MA.

pigzwillrise

• WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 10:55:06 pm »

It'll be a sink or swim season for Anderson at Arkansas.

Three or four things could be warning signs.  If Chaney transfers, if Joe starts making noise about checking into his draft prospects, that sort of thing.      That said, this is a tournament ready team next year, and anything less probably leads to an encouraged retirement for MA.
everyone keeps saying this. Why do you assume we get better without Gafford? Experience  is important but if Chaney is our only big man we are screwed.

RaisinHog

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 10:57:37 pm »

everyone keeps saying this. Why do you assume we get better without Gafford? Experience  is important but if Chaney is our only big man we are screwed.

Guards win ball games and it's pretty clear .. sure great teams have both but in today's game of basketball it all comes down too guard play

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 11:02:17 pm »

If you watched this year, they played very well without Gafford for long stretches.  They're going to be more mature,   more perimeter oriented, and more consistent.    They had an identity, played together for long stretches, and showed not just promise, but real potential.

The key going into next year, and seeing what the thinking they have is, is the physical body work they do on Adrio.   If you see Adrio bulked up, it means they think they need to play him as a small ball 4.     If he looks similar, or on a natural growth scale, it'll mean they think younger bigs can provide enough depth that it won't impact us adversely.

There is every reason to be confident in next year's team, whereas the lack of confidence in this year's team was just as justifiable at this point last year.

pigzwillrise

• WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 11:13:56 pm »

If you watched this year, they played very well without Gafford for long stretches.  They're going to be more mature,   more perimeter oriented, and more consistent.    They had an identity, played together for long stretches, and showed not just promise, but real potential.

The key going into next year, and seeing what the thinking they have is, is the physical body work they do on Adrio.   If you see Adrio bulked up, it means they think they need to play him as a small ball 4.     If he looks similar, or on a natural growth scale, it'll mean they think younger bigs can provide enough depth that it won't impact us adversely.

There is every reason to be confident in next year's team, whereas the lack of confidence in this year's team was just as justifiable at this point last year.
Ive watched every game this year. And although you are correct, we did have times where we played better without Gafford we certainly do not get better without him. It’s safe to say that if Gafford would have been injured and did not play this season, it would have cost us AT LEAST 4 wins, probably more. 

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 11:15:13 pm »

Ive watched every game this year. And although you are correct, we did have times where we played better without Gafford we certainly do not get better without him. It’s safe to say that of Gafford would have been injured and did not play this season, it would have cost us AT LEAST 4 wins, probably more. 

Teams would have played us significantly differently, and we would not have had the maturity or experience to know how to attack it.  We're a lot more equipped for Life After Gafford now, than we were before SEC play started.

pigzwillrise

• WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 11:16:49 pm »

Teams would have played us significantly differently, and we would not have had the maturity or experience to know how to attack it.  We're a lot more equipped for Life After Gafford now, than we were before SEC play started.
more or less equipped... ok, whatever. At the end of the day we were NOT going to win as many games this season without our freakish 6’11 first round draft pick and only true big. To say otherwise is simply ignorant

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 11:18:37 pm »

more or less equipped... ok, whatever. At the end of the day we are NOT going to win as many games without our freakish 6’11 first round draft pick and only true big. To say otherwise is simply ignorant

We'll win more games.   We'll be a much more entertaining watch- and we'll make the tournament.

To assume that next year's team is the same as this year's team, minus Gafford, without accounting for experience, maturity, and contributions from other players, is the core of ignorance.

pigzwillrise

• WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 11:20:36 pm »

So, basically... Harris/Gabe/Bailey need to keep shooting 3s to gain confidence for next year (even though they shot 15% as a group from 3) and also we will somehow be better without Gafford next year.... there’s no way we are better without Gafford unless we add some quality players to the team. We need another good big man to replace him or Mikes last season will be next season.

pigzwillrise

• WOOOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 11:22:08 pm »

We'll win more games.   We'll be a much more entertaining watch- and we'll make the tournament.

To assume that next year's team is the same as this year's team, minus Gafford, without accounting for experience, maturity, and contributions from other players, is the core of ignorance.
wow. Truly delusional. I understand experience and maturity but if we have Chaney, Gabe, Bailey as our group of bigs next tear then we will not be better

ErieHog

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 11:25:28 pm »

So, basically... Harris/Gabe/Bailey need to keep shooting 3s to gain confidence for next year (even though they shot 15% as a group from 3) and also we will somehow be better without Gafford next year.... there’s no way we are better without Gafford unless we add some quality players to the team. We need another good big man to replace him or Mikes last season will be next season.

There are a number of ways we get better.   They don't have to shoot 35% for us to be a good basketball team.

Chaney has to continue to grow;  Joe needs to stay healthy.  Those are the two big things, but natural progressions for both are very likely.

The keys to the ceiling of next year's teams are Sills/KES ability to provide second unit scoring, the ability to force more turnovers, and how much time we're using Adrio at his natural position vs. playing him up.

There is every reason to be pretty happy about where we'll start out next season.   Its certainly a darn sight better than where we were this time last year, looking forward.

HardingHog

• Senior
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2019, 11:41:52 pm »

Additions and Subtractions:
Phillips is gone (this spot goes to Hill)
Gafford will be gone
Garland will officially come off the books
At least 1 guy will transfer (I pray that Chaney doesn't leave)
Hopefully 2 open scholarships go to 2 legitimate big guys who can be true post defenders/rim protectors
Other openings need to go to guys who can shoot and ideally players who have length and are solid perimeter defenders (probably JUCOs)

Team improvements:
Really need Jalen Harris and Justice Hill to at least be 30% 3pt shooters. We can't afford have 3 guys on the court that the defense doesn't have to be within 10 feet of. It's very hard to score when the entire defense can keep a foot in the paint and there's nothing we can do to stop it (aka make shots)
If KES and Sills can be consistent threats to score while simultaneously be defensive pests our second unit/depth will actually be quite impressive
Isaiah Joe needs to take the next step in his offensive game and become a legit threat to drive by people who sprint out on him or are hugging him to prevent the 3
Gabe and Adrio and any other bigs to to find a role offensively. A jump shot is basically a turnover by them currently. Need that to change somehow

I'm just really rooting for natural progression across the board to improve everyone's games. I'd really like to see this team make the tourney next season

hogwood

• Just Chillin' Like A Villain
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 05:04:19 am »

If this offseason sees more than one, maybe two, transfers and I'm off the boat.

Keep our current guys, land a couple of the top recruits they're targeting, ans I'm all in on next season being a year where they should make the tournament without selection day heartburn.

Some will have to transfer in order to get those recruits.

onebadrubi

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2019, 05:49:20 am »

Additions and Subtractions:
Phillips is gone (this spot goes to Hill)
Gafford will be gone
Garland will officially come off the books
At least 1 guy will transfer (I pray that Chaney doesn't leave)
Hopefully 2 open scholarships go to 2 legitimate big guys who can be true post defenders/rim protectors
Other openings need to go to guys who can shoot and ideally players who have length and are solid perimeter defenders (probably JUCOs)

Team improvements:
Really need Jalen Harris and Justice Hill to at least be 30% 3pt shooters. We can't afford have 3 guys on the court that the defense doesn't have to be within 10 feet of. It's very hard to score when the entire defense can keep a foot in the paint and there's nothing we can do to stop it (aka make shots)
If KES and Sills can be consistent threats to score while simultaneously be defensive pests our second unit/depth will actually be quite impressive
Isaiah Joe needs to take the next step in his offensive game and become a legit threat to drive by people who sprint out on him or are hugging him to prevent the 3
Gabe and Adrio and any other bigs to to find a role offensively. A jump shot is basically a turnover by them currently. Need that to change somehow

I'm just really rooting for natural progression across the board to improve everyone's games. I'd really like to see this team make the tourney next season

Harris won’t get to 30% from behind the arc.  Also giving him 10ft and in is a stretch as well.  Sills has shown to be a far better option than Harris late in the season. 

Smithian

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2019, 06:21:14 am »

Some will have to transfer in order to get those recruits.
Phillips and Gafford gone and the Garland situation opens several scholarships. I expect at least one transfer since that's normal attrition.

rtr

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2019, 07:20:16 am »

29 points and 16 rebounds in last game.  Yep, we are better without that.  Talk about core ignorance.

Smithian

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2019, 08:58:16 am »

more or less equipped... ok, whatever. At the end of the day we were NOT going to win as many games this season without our freakish 6’11 first round draft pick and only true big. To say otherwise is simply ignorant
Some days Hogville blasts Gafford as overrated and say Anderson caused him to regress. Other days he is the super freak who is the only reason Hogs have won a game.

As someone who thinks Gafford has developed really well this year and will be drafted in the teens, I still think Hogs are better next season.

The Razorbacks had zero returning SEC experience in the backcourt this year. Zero. That is a recipe for disaster.  Instead of a bunch of first year players, next year they'll return a deep backcourt with SEC experience. That is the improvement right there.

In the frontcourt, I expect Chaney will be a good 5 for this system. He doesn't have to be Gafford to be a contributor. I still have stock in Ethan Henderson. Gabe O and Bailey get heat on this board but are good role players and can get out and run for a team that will have to play small and fast. If they could pull in Hawkins or a ready to play JUCO that would be huge.

It won't be easy to be better without Gafford, but the Razorbacks will come back much more experienced and older. That counts for a lot.

shown006

• Varsity
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2019, 09:10:44 am »

Media will have Arkansas picked somewhere between 8-12 in the SEC, which is about right for next year.  Bubble team at best. 

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2019, 09:13:29 am »

Media will have Arkansas picked somewhere between 8-12 in the SEC, which is about right for next year.  Bubble team at best.
Arkansas returned 3 players this year, which is why Arkansas was picked 10th, they will return everybody next year except Gafford,  and if they add a big and a good JUCO they will be picked 4-8th.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2019, 09:15:55 am »

Year 9 and barely a bubble team after missing the NCAA Tournament in year 8. All hail King Mediocre Mike!

bhogs05

• Varsity
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2019, 09:17:02 am »

Arkansas returned 3 players this year, which is why Arkansas was picked 10th, they will return everybody next year except Gafford,  and if they add a big and a good JUCO they will be picked 4-8th.

Given past history I wouldn't say we will return everyone.  Even if we do return everyone we will be a bubble team at best

Smithian

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2019, 09:30:53 am »

Year 9 and barely a bubble team after missing the NCAA Tournament in year 8. All hail King Mediocre Mike!
We don't even know what the roster looks like next year and you're declaring us barely a bubble team. Worry less, be happy.

I'm calling it now; Razorbacks keep guys mostly in house this summer, bring in a couple more useful bodies, and early next March we're grumbling how we need to win a game or two in the SECT so our seed NCAA isn't too low.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Guessing is easier than actually trying!
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2019, 09:33:52 am »

So, with this season almost over (I am expecting the Hogs to play no more than two games in the SEC Tourney, and I doubt they make it to post-season unless it is a NIT bid), what will next year's roster look like? Who will be leaving early? Who might transfer? Who might quit? And who will the Hogs be adding, other than Justice Hill?

I think it is a foregone conclusion that Gafford will be leaving early, so scratch him off.
Will Chaney transfer?
What about Henderson?
Who will be playing in the paint with Gafford gone? Unless Anderson signs a big man, I do not see the Hogs having an intimidating presence in the middle. Rebounding and shot blocking percentages going down?

Wow. The 50th “ What about next year” thread.

Smithian

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2019, 09:47:52 am »

I will spread cheer and optimism to each.

The_Iceman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • The Plaque for Alternates is in the Ladies room.
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2019, 10:18:43 am »

We don't even know what the roster looks like next year and you're declaring us barely a bubble team. Worry less, be happy.

I'm calling it now; Razorbacks keep guys mostly in house this summer, bring in a couple more useful bodies, and early next March we're grumbling how we need to win a game or two in the SECT so our seed NCAA isn't too low.

I wasnt declaring us a bubble team, I was responding to his comment saying we are a bubble team at best.

Right now, we are trending towards a late 90's Nolan roster. Backcourt good enough to make a Sweet 16 or further run, but a front court that will struggle to make the NIT.

If Mike can land some solid front court pieces, and he is certainly offering everyone out there that he can, I can see a tournament team.

If a Chaney and/or Joe leave, no reason to even watch.

hobhog

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2019, 10:23:14 am »

So we can overachieve!

Lame Duck season.

Smithian

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2019, 11:46:30 am »

I wasnt declaring us a bubble team, I was responding to his comment saying we are a bubble team at best.

Right now, we are trending towards a late 90's Nolan roster. Backcourt good enough to make a Sweet 16 or further run, but a front court that will struggle to make the NIT.

If Mike can land some solid front court pieces, and he is certainly offering everyone out there that he can, I can see a tournament team.

If a Chaney and/or Joe leave, no reason to even watch.
I don't completely disagree with the last line.

I do think Chaney is a good building block down low, but you need more than one player of his talent level to reasonably expect to play in the second or third weekend. The Razorbacks will play small and fast but in the tournament you have to be able to beat a team with good guards who will eventually force you to play in the halfcourt.

hawg66

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2019, 11:53:19 am »

Already complaining based on someone’s opinion about what happens over a year from now?  Nice. First in line for sure v

PonderinHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Go Hogs and Go Mike Anderson!
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2019, 11:55:55 am »

Already complaining based on someone’s opinion about what happens over a year from now?  Nice. First in line for sure v
I'll worry about that tomorrow, or the next day, or the next...

Go Hogs!

hobhog

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2019, 12:50:53 pm »

Get used to it. It’s what we will hear for next 365 days...

redleg

• Hogvillian
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2019, 01:22:20 pm »

Took you long enough to whine about it.

Mr. Porkleone

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2019, 01:26:55 pm »

Nothing changes people will still be in favor of Mike Anderson.  Well continue to suck and we’ll still be a year away.

We need change now.

Uberanubis

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2019, 01:42:40 pm »

Its time to let anderson go. We are going to have to rebuild Again next year might as well be with a new coach so he can get his players started in the system.

BannerMountainMan

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2019, 01:44:43 pm »

Its time to let anderson go. We are going to have to rebuild Again next year might as well be with a new coach so he can get his players started in the system.
never seen a rebuild when you have a core of 7 guys that’ll be back next year

Uberanubis

« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2019, 01:54:34 pm »

never seen a rebuild when you have a core of 7 guys that’ll be back next year

Lets be honest. How many of those "core" will actually stick around and how many will transfer. I tend to believe with past experiances we have at least 3 that transfer.
But its a waiting game and if the wrong decision is made couls further hurt our program.

Honestly if I was one of these kids I would be looking to bail. 

cram224

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2019, 02:11:03 pm »

Maybe we need a bigger roster turnover. How many players on this team are high major D1 players? When you have players that the other team has no respect for, can't hit a bull in the ass, it's hard for your shooters to get open.

Hogmatic

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2019, 02:28:03 pm »

We still don't know who is going to replace Gafford.  I see MA fans/non-program fans spouting off about signing 3 JUCO's.  Where is the link to the 3 JUCOs committing?  Who are these commits?  Who else has offered them?   HOPE is not a strategy.

Mr. Porkleone

« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2019, 02:30:37 pm »

FIRE ANDERSON. NOTHING CHANGES

Hogmatic

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2019, 02:39:28 pm »

FIRE ANDERSON. NOTHING CHANGES

The 3 game winning streak was Fool's Gold that protected MA but this game against UF proved that our winning streaks have been against weak teams or those in a tailspin.   MA has proven he isn't going to change in spite of pressure.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2019, 02:56:04 pm »

Nobody has no way of knowing IF they will win more or not. Nobody knows for sure who is coming in as a recruit and who else might leave besides Gifford. The other variable is nobody knows what all the opponents will have and do next year. Way to premature to speculate on anything. That being said they might be better and still not win more games or only a few more.

Inhogswetrust

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2019, 02:57:32 pm »

Took you long enough to whine about it.
I’m not as motivated today, just like the team.

lstewart

• Senior
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2019, 03:00:02 pm »

Judging from Mike's history here, we will be a little better next year. A couple of current roster players will transfer, and we will have about 5 new bodies dressing out for games. 3 or 4 of the new guys will get to play regularly in our 2 deep, and 2 of the new players will be in our top 5 rotation. We will be picked around 9th in the preseason SEC, and will finish around 8th. Our SEC record will be 9/9, and we will have 21 wins at the end of the SEC tourney. We will be a 10th seed in the NCAA tourney and will lose first round. Mike will be back for 2020-2021, and the general fan discord will continue to rise.

Danny J

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2019, 03:08:37 pm »

My main concern is keeping Chaney and KES. I think if we return all players who played significant minutes we are a much better team. Lose a guy like Chaney or Jones or KES then who knows. I have NO faith that Mike can keep all those guys. None. I would actually take bets that he loses a guy like Chaney or Jones.

NoogaHog

• Senior
  • WPS from Southern Appalachia
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2019, 03:31:15 pm »

Remind me, what is Henderson's game? I know he is light right now, and I have seen a little of his shot (or lack). Is he a runner like Gafford, is he a shot blocker? Where does he fit if he stays? How tall is he?

And correct me if I am wrong, but if Ibby sees the floor next year, I think he is like a Willie Kouasi type. Big, not necessarily mobile, good for a few rebounds and putbacks. 

hobhog

« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2019, 04:43:16 pm »

Judging from Mike's history here, we will be a little better next year. A couple of current roster players will transfer, and we will have about 5 new bodies dressing out for games. 3 or 4 of the new guys will get to play regularly in our 2 deep, and 2 of the new players will be in our top 5 rotation. We will be picked around 9th in the preseason SEC, and will finish around 8th. Our SEC record will be 9/9, and we will have 21 wins at the end of the SEC tourney. We will be a 10th seed in the NCAA tourney and will lose first round. Mike will be back for 2020-2021, and the general fan discord will continue to rise.

Discord rise above 80%? If people aren’t ready for change now they never will be....

dsf

« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2019, 04:44:35 pm »

Will Chaney transfer?
What about Henderson?

Not sure rebounding can go down...we are probably the worst rebounding team in the nation over the past 25 years. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas